• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Oh shush, the overwhelming sentiment at the time, including this thread which has been well ahead of the curve, was that everything was fine for the time being. I personally am an anxious person so I was already pretty locked down at the time, but it's impossible to shame people in hindsight given what basically everyone was saying. Hell pax east went on just down the street from me and all my friends went (including my cousin who is my roommate and I begged him not to lol)

I wasn't part of that sentiment. Yes, they went - it was OK - they had a good time. I do not wish ill on anyone, but I am allowed to have an opinion about that.

Absoludacrous

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
No, because in this very thread (in late February) there were posters saying they were going to go to Disneyland, despite having vulnerable people in their immediate family and that they thought it was better to get infected sooner than later.

And now it's late March and people are more aware of the situation. Jumping down someone's throat for something a month removed from where we are now is asinine, especially with how quickly things have moved since then.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
Not me. I have been warning people from the fucking start. Yes, they went - it was OK - they had a good time. I do not wish ill on anyone, but I am allowed to have an opinion about that.

Shaming them now is pointless, you need to relax. It's fine to spread awareness, but bullying people and saying "I TOLD YOU SO!" won't accomplish anything.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Shaming them now is pointless, you need to relax. It's fine to spread awareness, but bullying people and saying "I TOLD YOU SO!" won't accomplish anything.

Where am I bullying? "You should be ashamed" - is not bullying.

Such hypocrisy - in the other thread we are all ragging on the kid that went to Spring Break in FL and said 'If I get it, I get it' and ended up apologizing. He didn't go all 'It was a great Spring Break!', he apologized. He felt ashamed. Most of us still ragged on him.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ugh some asshat in senate hearings just said CHINA VIRUS and is doing the damn car death/flu comparison

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
On the way to my doctor's office I found out my sister was in contact with someone who tested positive. I told the person at the door and they told me to go home. So it's cool, I'll just die.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Oh shush, the overwhelming sentiment at the time, including this thread which has been well ahead of the curve, was that everything was fine for the time being. I personally am an anxious person so I was already pretty locked down at the time, but it's impossible to shame people in hindsight given what basically everyone was saying. Hell pax east went on just down the street from me and all my friends went (including my cousin who is my roommate and I begged him not to lol)

Wrong, there were some people who dangerously downplayed the virus and most people who were either cautiously pessimistic or following pandemic experts advise that this thing is just getting started.

Most of us said that going on a vacation outside of your country would be a gamble and people here shouldn't take the advice of "everything will be fine".

even now, there are 70.000 German nationals stuck in a foreign country and have trouble getting back home.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So I'm past anxiety (for now) but now I'm really bored and making me really regret that I only started taking this seriously like a few weeks ago. Mainly because my college closed the next week and while it was a good choice that kind of makes me sad that I might not see my friends until Fall and that's assuming they'll even attend. Hoping So Cal can contain it enough by Late May or June so I can see them and we can talk about making a Discord or something.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
Bulletin for the
French situation:
25233 active cases + 2933 in 24 H
11539 hospitalized + 1363 in 24 H
2827 in intensive care + 311 in 24 H
1331 dead + 231 in 24 H

last increases for deaths:
27>89>108>78>112>112>186>240>231

ICUs:
??>232>191>175>228>115>335>434>311

DickGrayson

Alt Account
Jan 30, 2020
Yeah, unfortunately, as Dr. Fauci pointed out, these statistical anomalies will occur during this. All the more reason for everyone to take this seriously.

People need to understand that "low-risk" for young people does not mean "no-risk". There are young adults with no co-morbidities who die of the flu every year as well. It's very important that everyone do what they can to try and mitigate their risk.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
Wrong, there were some people who dangerously downplayed the virus and most people who were either cautiously pessimistic or following pandemic experts advise that this thing is just getting started.

Most of us said that going on a vacation outside of your country would be a gamble and people here shouldn't take the advice of "everything will be fine".

even now, there are 70.000 German nationals stuck in a foreign country and have trouble getting back home.

Nobody said anything about traveling out of country in the posts referenced here. That being said, I specifically said I was in the same boat as you, I was extra cautious. I can't fault people for not panicking over a month ago when the overwhelming messaging out there was that we should continue to live our lives, practice good hygiene, etc. Hell look at how people reactted when sony cancelled pax. The thought back then was that they were being overly cautious and giving into the fear.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People need to understand that "low-risk" for young people does not mean "no-risk". There are young adults with no co-morbidities who die of the flu every year as well. It's very important that everyone do what they can to try and mitigate their risk.

Yeah, we just had an eight year old in my area die during the holidays. Basically suffered a cytokine storm for a bout with the flu.

www.sciencedaily.com

Deadly immune 'storm' caused by emergent flu infections

Scientists have mapped key elements of a severe immune overreaction -— a “cytokine storm” -— that can both sicken and kill patients who are infected with certain strains of flu virus. A cytokine storm is an overproduction of immune cells and their activating compounds (cytokines), which, in a...

Terra Firma

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
even young people can die from this.. this was never a secret, chances are just way smaller.
Yes, we know. Young people die of diseases that normally are fatal to the elderly all the time but that article specifies that the cause of death hasn't been confirmed so they're just reporting on speculation, which is extremely irresponsible.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
A drive up outside my clinic. After trying telemedicine, I finally got a hold my doctor's nurse. She gave me a phone number to another nurse that was doing prescreening over the phone. I was told to go to a parking lot and call another number then they would come get me. I was screened again there. Because I had chest pain the sent me to the ER. I went there and they checked me out to see if I had a heart attack. I was cleared there, it was probably an anxiety attack, but they didn't have any tests there so I was sent back to the same drive up as before. My temp was taken and was swabbed in the nose for flu first. After that came back negative, they swabbed the back of my throat for 10 seconds for Covid-19. That was Monday and I received a call from the clinic today on Wednesday. I think because they finally have a private lab here in Kansas doing testing I was able to get a test. That an that I travel inside the state for my job on almost a daily basis.

Thanks for the info

Hope you get better! Rest well!

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
South Dakota Numbers came in while my internet was down for about an hour

Coronavirus updates and information

South Dakota's The South Dakota Department of Health (SD-DOH) continues to monitor the emergence of the novel coronavirus. We are working with the CDC and our healthcare partners across the state to prepare for and respond to a potential case.

41 confirmed cases (Yesterday was 30 but lab testing is still behind)
Minnehaha County now a "substantial" risk of community transmittal (which contains Sioux Falls, the largest city in the state)

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
+73 in Singapore.
Eventually had to happen with some many people returning from abroad testing positive.

18 were linked to a kindergartner, strangely they are all adult. Maybe they still have to test the kids.

elty

Oct 31, 2017
Same here. We were at Disney World from Feb 29-Mar 7. Flights were 100% full both directions. At the time there were only 70 confirmed cases in the country, and most were people extracted from China.

Not saying it is your fault, but this is the problem with insufficient testing. People will check the news, see 100 cases, and keep going on their life. By the time a cluster is formed and catch the attention, it is already too late.

Which is why WHO keep saying you cannot fight a pandemic blind, but it was ignored by so many states.

Last edited:

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
NJ numbers are down for the 2nd day in a row. Murphy is doing a great job here. Another interesting data point is that it seems there is a 27% "positive test" rate so far. I don't know if that means doctors are misdiagnosing/being overly cautious or what.

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
NJ numbers are down for the 2nd day in a row. Murphy is doing a great job here. Another interesting data point is that it seems there is a 27% "positive test" rate so far. I don't know if that means doctors are misdiagnosing/being overly cautious or what.
Isn't that the highest positive rate in the nations? That indicates a absolutely horrible job in testing

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know what I'm supposed to do now. I can't go back to work until I have a doctor's note but my doctor won't see me lol

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Interesting use of cell phone data:

Governor Phil Murphy: Great work New Jersey! We are in the top five nationwide for social distancing! This IS WORKING. Keep doing your part and we will #FlattenTheCurve. https://t.co/r28LIIdKfA

Not surprised at all about Chicago. The only time I ever see a group that's larger than 2 and it's not a family is at the grocery store, which I am barely visiting myself. Everyone I know has collectively not spent time to hang out with one another. In my circle, at least, we've been dead serious for at least 10 days now.

That said, what the fuck Wyoming? Isn't that one of the most remote areas in the entire country outside of Montana? Stay away from each other, y'all.

ratcliffja

Oct 28, 2017

Governor Phil Murphy: Great work New Jersey! We are in the top five nationwide for social distancing! This IS WORKING. Keep doing your part and we will #FlattenTheCurve. https://t.co/r28LIIdKfA

I think the graph is highly suspect, especially since it is at least partially determined by distance traveled. You could have just as many people in an area (per capita) going to work or going to the store but because things are more spread out in certain areas, those areas would rate lower.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin update:

Largest day to day case increase. Also odd this says 6 deaths because I'm seeing a news story for 7 now. Maybe announced after this info was made official.

Ocean Bones

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I'm not dunking on Ocean Bones at all. I just think it's incredible how far we've come in a month:

Dh9N6uG.png

BTW -- We did go for one day and it was great! And then Disneyland closed..

March must of seemed a lot closer at the time lmao.

Shit changed in a hurry

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not surprised at all about Chicago. The only time I ever see a group that's larger than 2 and it's not a family is at the grocery store, which I am barely visiting myself. Everyone I know has collectively not spent time to hang out with one another. In my circle, at least, we've been dead serious for at least 10 days now.

That said, what the fuck Wyoming? Isn't that one of the most remote areas in the entire country outside of Montana? Stay away from each other, y'all.

Note that in remote areas of the country people sometimes commute 60+ miles to get to work everyday.

OP
OP
wandering

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't part of that sentiment. Yes, they went - it was OK - they had a good time. I do not wish ill on anyone, but I am allowed to have an opinion about that.

You've been overly aggressive and high-strung in these topics for far too long; if you can't tone it down, you need to take a break for your own mental health.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

This is why I laugh when people say the US cannot do serious contact tracing because freedom and democracy. We already have all that info, both in the private and public sector, and we're using it for dumb and often evil shit.
Might as well use this for good once.
We're going to need this.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
www.startribune.com

Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz: 'Stay at home'

Compliance could save thousands of lives, Walz says
Gov. Tim Walz issued an executive order Wednesday asking Minnesotans to stay in their homes unless absolutely necessary, his most dramatic executive action to date to try and slow the growing coronavirus pandemic across the state.

The "stay-at-home" order, beginning at midnight Friday, is modeled after those of other states and regions. Lasting at least two weeks, it is meant as an extreme form of social distancing that aims to keep people inside their homes as much as possible and suspend large gatherings of any kind. Walz has already ordered schools, restaurants, bars, movie theaters and other public spaces to close their doors. His latest action is intended to bolster the orders he's already delivered and ask Minnesotans to further limit their social interactions.

Bars and restaurants will continue to be closed through May 1, subject to extension. Schools will stay closed until May 4. Local governments will have authority to decide on what employees are essential. Clinics, grocery stores, gas stations and liquor stores remain open.
People are still allowed to go places such as the grocery store, gas station and the doctor, and residents will be allowed to get outside for exercise, to walk their dog or go on a hike with appropriate social distancing.
EDIT - updated

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017
This is why I laugh when people say the US cannot do serious contact tracing because freedom and democracy. We already have all that info, both in the private and public sector, and we're using it for dumb and often evil shit.
Might as well use this for good once.
We're going to need this.
if they got this from the carriers, they can't attach any customer data to it, its anonymized when its stored by the carriers so they have no way to know who it is

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm thinking of applying to Trader Joe's. Currently unemployed due to my restaurant closing indefinitely. I did apply for unemployment but would rather be working. Any reason I shouldn't? Is there a chance they're closed too in a few weeks? I also live with my dad who's in his 60s.