• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
Speaking of chloroquine, remdesivir, and other antiviral therapies that have been mentioned, here's a very interesting article that goes into some depth on the biology behind them.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly I'm confused how Japan's numbers stay that low. There's been several articles by Japanese doctors that are basically saying the culture's tendencies to listen to orders, as well as cultural norms of using masks when sick is preventing widespread sickness. I was thinking what a bunch of bullshit that was, but at the same time we haven't seen uncontrollable spread in Tokyo yet, and numbers have stayed low. Hospitals aren't overloaded, and I'd have seen plenty of it if people were consistently being denied care.
Why would it be bullshit? There is a reason Japanese, South Koreans as well as other Asian nations are wearing masks. Because they work. If masks didn't work, doctors wouldn't be wearing them.

I think masks help tremendously with most dangerous asymptomatic virus spreaders, especially when almost all of population is wearing them.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
I just read in some French tweets that France is not counting people deceased in nursing homes or at their own home. Why do I have the feeling Italy and Spain are the only European countries giving transparent info while the rest are trying to take advantage of all the eyes being put on us to sweep their part under the rug.

https://www.bfmtv.com/sante/coronav...as-comptabilises-dans-les-bilans-1881623.html

Isn't Germany still suspect of not doing post-mortem test to people that didn't have a covid diagnosis (but compatible symptoms) too?

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I just read in some French tweets that France is not counting people deceased in nursing homes or at their own home. Why do I have the feeling Italy and Spain are the only European countries giving transparent info while the rest are trying to take advantage of all the eyes being put on us to sweep their part under the rug.

https://www.bfmtv.com/sante/coronav...as-comptabilises-dans-les-bilans-1881623.html

Isn't Germany still suspect of not doing post-mortem test to people that didn't have a covid diagnosis (but compatible symptoms) too?

Well to be fair France is only testing people that are already sick and have worrisome symptoms.

So their death rate is lower than reported while infected rate is far higher.

Their numbers is mainly to give you an idea of what happens to patients once in ICU.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What I can't figure out is what the US is going to do when all these little numbers everywhere start multiplying.

I think they are taking this far too slowly and it's going to take so many more weeks and lives to correct it once it takes hold

The little numbers have already been multiplying. Next week there won't be little numbers anywhere in the US.

Kinanza

Jun 25, 2018
I'm a stay at home worker, plus everything I need is in my house. I'm stocked up on essential materials, from soap to TP.

Except food. I really don't want to risk myself going for just food

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
Blame someone else.

Chinese, Democrats, Europeans. Anyone apart from Trump and the GOP.

This really feels like an Epic Level Sandy Hook moment for the US all over again, where you have to decide in the aftermath, whether to make real, important change, or whether "This is America, there's nothing we can do about this, because this issue is so unique to our nation that the way other nations have solved it won't work here, so let's return to the status quo" is going to hold sway again.

Jan 10, 2018
Good thing you're on a discussion board, where all people do is share their opinions!

Do I need to point out that that includes that I don't have to give a flying dungus about his opinion, in particular when he presents it as the ultimate truth?
his response to this crisis has been woeful.

I'm the last one opposing criticism of Sanders, Biden or more qualified people, but your (not you you obviously) priorities are disturbingly out of whack when after 4 years of Trump you go after Biden supporters and their desire for normalcy.

Mar 29, 2018
So what's the most realistic death toll and when will it peak in North America?

There are lots of factors. The idea of a "peak" isnt very realistic because it's more about damage over time and damage to infrastructure like hospitals. I'll be a bit conservative and vague, but this is roughly what reports like the Imperial College one said:

Say nothing is done at all BUT the healthcare system has enough respirators and resources and beds for critical patients. If the virus infects say 50% of the entire population in the next 12 months, you're looking at a few million deaths across the country. Say 4 million.

If there are extreme lockdown and quarantine measures in place with careful monitoring to slash that, it can be a lot less. You'd hope in the hundreds of thousands.

However if nothing is done AND you don't have anywhere near enough beds, respirators, etc... Which I believe is the case IRL... It could be far worse. You could be looking at like 20-30 million deaths over 12 months, because the people who need critical care to survive the virus (a much higher number than the 2-3% mortality rate) don't get the urgent support they need and will pass away.

And this isn't factoring in all the associated deaths by basically all healthcare services nationally being locked up by virus patients.

However it's also not factoring in if they manage to find any good therapies or medicines or treatments for it that alleviate the impact.

I really don't think it'll get as bad as those last scenarios, because action globally is gonna ramp up fast and hard in the next month. Even if Trump keeps crying like an imbecile child about it.

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018
WHO specifically named Mexico, as not doing enough testing. Reporters asked about that in yesterday's meeting, and they basically gave a non-answer.

But in the last 2 days, there have been multiple international articles calling off the Government, so unquestionably external pressure is mounting, and thus I do hope that the criteria for testing gets more ample soon. Glad to know that UNAM is spearheading that effort.

Yeah, if it weren't for the bad press AMLO is getting around the world, I doubt he would've switched to Phase 2. Plus the WHO pretty much forced him to do so. I feel Vive Latino will contribute to what we're about to see in the upcoming weeks.

Not sure if posted yet, but holy shit Spain is tragic:

Wow man... About to surpass Italy. :(

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
What I can't figure out is what the US is going to do when all these little numbers everywhere start multiplying.

I think they are taking this far too slowly and it's going to take so many more weeks and lives to correct it once it takes hold
Blame someone else.

Chinese, Democrats, Europeans. Anyone apart from Trump and the GOP.

They're already trying to pivot to blaming China for the virus:

www.thedailybeast.com

White House Pushes U.S. Officials to Criticize China For Coronavirus ‘Cover-Up’

A State Department cable obtained by The Daily Beast says the U.S. and the American people are the “greatest humanitarians the world has ever known.”

Look out for a lot of media narratives about how horrible China is. US politicians will use it as pretext for further hostilities against China.

zero_suit

Oct 27, 2017
They're already trying to pivot to blaming China for the virus:

www.thedailybeast.com

White House Pushes U.S. Officials to Criticize China For Coronavirus ‘Cover-Up’

A State Department cable obtained by The Daily Beast says the U.S. and the American people are the “greatest humanitarians the world has ever known.”

Look out for a lot of media narratives about how horrible China is. US politicians will use it as pretext for further hostilities against China.
That will accomplish nothing.

Mar 15, 2019
Brazil
Brazil's president Bolsonaro just made a speech on national TV about the media hysteria, how people should keep going normally, how it's just a little flu and 90% of the people won't feel anything.

damn, sometimes i hate my country, wtf

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Just found out that my friend who is in the hospital with it on a respirator is now in a medically induced coma-and now his husband has tested positive. His husband works In the same office as my wife and now my wife has a dry cough.

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
In the past 3 days (counting today) the USA has added:

~ 29 236 confirmed cases (~10k per day).
~ 394‬ confirmed deaths (~ 130 per day).

So, yeah things are looking awful there. If the rates keeps increasing like this, the ICU's will reach their breaking point pretty soon and the number of deaths will without a doubt explode.

Source: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

the scary part is most of the country is still severely undertesting. I think its going to turn really bad in the South really quickly.

Drakhyrr

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Meanwhile, in Brazil, Bolsonaro has just made another statement on national TV comparing Covid to a "small flu or cold", wondering why we are closing schools if only people older than 60 are at risk, asking state governors to stop taking isolation measures and blaming everything on "The Media™".

Holy. Fucking. Shit.

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018
Brazil's president Bolsonaro just made a speech on national TV about the media hysteria, how people should keep going normally, how it's just a little flu and 90% of the people won't feel anything.

damn, sometimes i hate my country, wtf
Wow man, that's outrageous. I just looked at Brazil's numbers and they're alarming already. WTF is he trying to do at this point...

Crazyorloco

Dec 12, 2017
Just found out that my friend who is in the hospital with it on a respirator is now in a medically induced coma-and now his husband has tested positive. His husband works In the same office as my wife and now my wife has a dry cough.

my God. I hope your friend improves.

Yeah it's going to be tough there. Spain like italy, has an older population.

In the United States, Florida, Maine, and Utah have older populations. Hopefully enough is done.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
That will accomplish nothing.

It will help project any ire towards an external fictional threat such as China rather than the people and systems actually responsible for the crisis running amok. It's deflection 101 and the government does it all the time. The evil Soviets, the Vietnamese, the Koreans, the Japanese, the Russians, the Arabs, and now the Chinese (again).

Expect even more Yellow Peril the more the dust settles. You think the American government will want to take any blame? They'll blame the Chinese and use it as an excuse to increase hostilities even more.

zero_suit

Oct 27, 2017
It will help project any ire towards an external fictional threat such as China rather than the people and systems actually responsible for the crisis running amok. It's deflection 101 and the government does it all the time. The evil Soviets, the Vietnamese, the Koreans, the Japanese, the Russians, the Arabs, and now the Chinese (again).

Expect even more Yellow Peril the more the dust settles. You think the American government will want to take any blame? They'll blame the Chinese and use it as an excuse to increase hostilities even more.
I'm well aware. It's just played out at this point.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
I'm well aware. It's just played out at this point.

To you probably. History shows us that it's a useful tactic and people are quick to forget or simply never learn. It even applied to media pundits and well-meaning Democrats who still thinks Putin is the reason Trump got elected and that belief is still ongoing. So I wouldn't be surprised if people across the political spectrum will lap up anti-Chinese narratives once the pandemic really hits us hard.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
In a way it's interesting to watch the right wing shits like Trump and Bolsonaro trying to bullshit their way through a crisis and failing. Too bad is comes at the expense of many lost lives.

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018
my God. I hope your friend improves.

Yeah it's going to be tough there. Spain like italy, has an older population.

In the United States, Florida, Maine, and Utah have older populations. Hopefully enough is done.

I'm not jumping into any anti-China sentiments, but this is honestly much more dangerous than their numbers led us to believe. The fact it's a 50/50 chance once you get into ICU is quite alarming. Ignoring the millions of potential mild cases, the risk it represent for people with underlying health conditions is far too high to take it lightly at this point.

Oct 27, 2017
USA
What's the consensus on wearing a mask these days? I have to go the grocery store tomorrow and I really don't feel comfortable going without wearing a mask. I will probably be there a while because I haven't left my house since the 13th.

A nurse gave me about 20 masks about a month ago. I also have some N95 masks because my ex from Thailand had me order some for her about 2 months ago. I ordered her some extra but when I realised this might be bad I kept a couple of boxes for myself. I'm in Tennessee btw. I know it's not as bad here but very few seem to be taking it seriously.

I realize this has probably been talked to death but it's a huge thread so apologies for bringing it up again.

Edit: Should probably add that I have congestive heart failure.

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018
What's the consensus on wearing a mask these days? I have to go the grocery store tomorrow and I really don't feel comfortable going without wearing a mask. I will probably be there a while because I haven't left my house since the 13th.

A nurse gave me about 20 masks about a month ago. I also have some N95 masks because my ex from Thailand had me order some for her about 2 months ago. I ordered her some extra but when I realised this might be bad I kept a couple of boxes for myself. I'm in Tennessee btw. I know it's not as bad here but very few seem to be taking it seriously.

I realize this has probably been talked to death but it's a huge thread so apologies for bringing it up again.

I don't care what people think or say. I'm wearing a mask each time I go get my groceries. Bought them 2 months ago.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
My job wants us all to come back to work before the week is over. They're are about 500 people that work in my building. I want to organize a strike in the worst way.

Last edited:

GatsGatsby

Oct 27, 2017
West Columbia, SC

At this point do whatever you feel comfortable doing. If you feel safer wearing the mask then wear it. My bf got me a rewashable mask I've been off work the last few days but I'm considering wearing it. He wore his when we got ice cream. I didnt wear mine because I felt safe we were the only ones in the shop the workers kept their distance and we kept ours and we ate outside.