• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

scurker

Oct 25, 2017
As a fellow Alabama citizen , how do you feel about the states response? I'm in the southern part and it's still considered a "hoax". Mainly because we are the low demo for testing down here in the more rural areas. I fear it may be worse than we think statewide.

I think Kay Ivey took far too long to shut things down. Beaches were still open up through Thursday last week. The shutdown order needed to happen much sooner, although I'm not entirely convinced that people would've listened to the state. I've seen far too much parroting of what Trump has been saying, so I'm sure that's going to continue.

I do think rural areas will have far less communal spread, so the hot spots are going to be the coast and large cities like Birmingham and Huntsville. The big concern for areas not "Birmingham" will be hospitals are already in a dire state, so if there's any measurable outbreak I do think those hospitals will not be able to handle it.

devilhawk

Oct 27, 2017
Trump can't open up shit. It's purely for narrative so at Easter or whenever he can start claiming it's the evil Democrat governors' fault and the economy would be perfect otherwise. He'll repeat it, his supplicants will repeat it, and the media will show it 500 times and eventually give equal weight to a notion that is 100% false. It's the same shit everytime.

Ryu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In Austria here we have this live map from the gov. of confirmed cases.
info.gesundheitsministerium.at

Impfdashboard | Corona-Schutzimpfung in Österreich

Dashboard mit Zahlen und Fakten zu der Corona-Schutzimpfung

Last days has growth has been increasing :(

No worries. We increased testing and will continue to do so. What we will also get is a lot of dark numbers that will start to show, that already had it for quite some time. I imagine we have a lot of dark numbers to begin with, as the whole Tirol thing was kinda fucked up and we also have other popular skiing regions so people sometimes go from one to the next and probably imported the virus from region to region. But with already more than 4000 fines, you get an idea that some people just can't care less it seems. I hope we fine the shit out of all those people that still need to act against the rules.

Shevek

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa
The US electorate continue to surprise and shock me so I'm not betting on anything, but I don't see how the hell Trump is re-elected in November after all of this

So many people are going to die because of these fools and they don't care and no one will hold them to account.

Absolutely fucking insane.

It's become a tired cliche for this to be shared every time Trump opens his mouth, but I saw this '95 quote by Carl Sagan shared again today and it remains ever prescient

DHI9pzcUQAAleZv.jpg

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
I think Kay Ivey took far too long to shut things down. Beaches were still open up through Thursday last week. The shutdown order needed to happen much sooner, although I'm not entirely convinced that people would've listened to the state. I've seen far too much parroting of what Trump has been saying, so I'm sure that's going to continue.

I do think rural areas will have far less communal spread, so the hot spots are going to be the coast and large cities like Birmingham and Huntsville. The big concern for areas not "Birmingham" will be hospitals are already in a dire state, so if there's any measurable outbreak I do think those hospitals will not be able to handle it.

Given how our state is politically I'm surprised we even shut down. I'm glad we did though because it allowed local municipalities the freedom to shut things down based on the order.

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
It's absolutely disgusting that during a pandemic, NHS workers are still forced to pay insane parking fees to park their cars at the hospitals they're working at.

Sendero

Oct 25, 2017
ET4I5vdWsAMHoKY

Bogota. First day of 19 day quarantine and isolation. City of 8 million people
That's brutal. But if the quarentine just started, it makes sense that most people do not comply yet. It usually takes 3-4 days to start sinking in.

Here, the country just jumped to Phase 2, which means that the remaining states that have not implemented it yet, will ask the population for social isolation.
Just mere hours, after the spokeman said (that) there were no plans for it yet. And even though WHO directly asked us to increase testing, there does not seem to be a hurry to do so.

That video has been making the rounds in the last hours.
For some reason, this is making people actually start to worry about the situation.

Last edited:

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
No worries. We increased testing and will continue to do so. What we will also get is a lot of dark numbers that will start to show, that already had it for quite some time. I imagine we have a lot of dark numbers to begin with, as the whole Tirol thing was kinda fucked up and we also have other popular skiing regions so people sometimes go from one to the next and probably imported the virus from region to region. But with already more than 4000 fines, you get an idea that some people just can't care less it seems. I hope we fine the shit out of all those people that still need to act against the rules.
I'm sceptical of the testings working, especially for the dark numbers the fast tests will do nothing.

kazinova

Oct 27, 2017
I'm paying for childcare I'm not using... But paying for things is how people still get paid and we all get through this. If you're still receiving a paycheck make sure to keep paying it forward or everyone below you is fucked.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
Trump can't open up shit. It's purely for narrative so at Easter or whenever he can start claiming it's the evil Democrat governors' fault and the economy would be perfect otherwise. He'll repeat it, his supplicants will repeat it, and the media will show it 500 times and eventually give equal weight to a notion that is 100% false. It's the same shit everytime.

He can force Federal workers to go back to work, which is the largest workforce in America.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
a mayor in a italian town walking the streets telling idiots in coffee shops and playing ping pong (!) to go home and understand how serious this is.

jesus christ people are so fucking dumb.

Kemal86

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in Central IL in a county with only a few confirmed cases. I've got at least 5 people in my social circle who are showing some or all of the Covid symptoms and every single one of them has been told by the major regional hospital "Stay home, we don't have tests unless you are over 70 or literally dying already".

Deleted member 1086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho

They need to get those people helicoptered off that ship yesterday, and probably need to pull that ship into a port and stay there until they can verify no one else on it caught the virus. Otherwise that shit is going to spread like wildfire extremely fast. I've been on a deployed ship when regular colds break out, they hit everyone and in no time.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
My symptoms had started to subside, but then gradually throughout today my lungs have started to really tighten up. Not a huge amount of pain, but definitely a feeling of tightness. I can still breath fine, at least. Hope this doesn't last long.

Takuhi

Oct 27, 2017

This is incredibly good news, and it addresses many of the topics we've been discussing here:
• One vaccine will probably provide long-term immunity, like the Chicken Pox vaccine, with no need for yearly variations.
• The virus is not mutating into deadlier forms and is unlikely to do so.
• Theories that different countries have strains that are more or less lethal is likely untrue; differences in death rate are due to local circumstances only.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
I'm in Central IL in a county with only a few confirmed cases. I've got at least 5 people in my social circle who are showing some or all of the Covid symptoms and every single one of them has been told by the major regional hospital "Stay home, we don't have tests unless you are over 70 or literally dying already".
I mean yeah, that's what we've all been freaking out a out for weeks. Why do you think you only have a few confirmed cases? There are definitely thousands of cases in your county.

Fractology

Oct 28, 2017
Aren't most of them still working? Post Office is, at the very least.

Most are working from home right now. I would imagine that if he says "go back to work" that means going back to the office. They're currently in a Continuity of Operations (COOP) capacity which is unsustainable for the long term as it dips into an emergency fund. They did this during the furlough last year during the government shut down.

PS: Government agencies encompass much much more than just the Post Office

Jan 31, 2018
Love it
As President Donald Trump and business elites suggest the U.S. public should go back to work in the midst of the worsening coronavirus pandemic, the Twitter hashtag #NotDying4WallStreet went viral late Monday as progressives made clear they are not willing to jeopardize their own or their community's health to protect corporate profits.

"If we have to rent strike, general strike, whatever has to happen, we will not die for oligarchs' quarterly profit margin," tweeted progressive radio host Benjamin Dixon. "This system crashes without our participation. But they cannot force us to participate at the expense of our lives."
www.commondreams.org

#NotDying4WallStreet Goes Viral as Progressives Reject Efforts to Put Corporate Profits Over Public Health

"We will not die for oligarchs' quarterly profit margin."

devilhawk

Oct 27, 2017

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
"That certainly would complicate things,"

NO FUCKING SHIT.

Not to mention illness will spike during the reopening. They are so bad at everything.
The sad part is we won't even need to see the effects of reopening to see a spike. it's not like the current measures in place in the majority of the US are enough right now. Cases are going to keep going up quite a bit each day for a while.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
The sad part is we won't even need to see the effects of reopening to see a spike. it's not like the current measures in place in the majority of the US are enough right now. Cases are going to keep going up quite a bit each day for a while.
We're gonna see the four stage strategy come full circle

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Yep. I'm in Champaign. Know three people (and one of their roommates) who have had symptoms. All were told to just stay home and call back if shit gets bad.

Deleted member 60295

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 28, 2019
That's some anti-christ level shit.

Yep. I've said it before, but I don't know if I've said it on this site, so: if I'm somehow wrong about all this shit, and the bible is divinely inerrant, american protestant evangelicals are gonna have literal hell to pay in the near future. Cause that means Trump is almost certainly the anti-christ, and when the real Jesus comes back to whoop ass on a pale horse in the near future, these hypocritical fucks are first in line, going by what Jesus taught in the gospels. You know, about how people who claim to do good works in his name but haven't cared for the people around them are not his children.

(I'm not wrong that the bible is not inerrant, and I'm pretty sure everyone here agrees, so please don't take this as an endorsement of heavenly sanctioned violence, especially not in these trying times. I'm just pointing out the irony that the people in this country who claim to respect the bible's inerrancy the most, tend to be the ones that follow the commands of the biblical Jesus Christ the least. I'm an ex-christian who actually read his damn bible, so I would know. And in case you don't, go look up Mathew 25:34-46. and you'll understand why I'm not worried about my eternal fate, but Trump-supporting evangelicals should be. In the meantime, I'll do everything necessary to protect my own current life and the lives of those around me, cause I'm fairly certain that's the only life we're getting.)

Last edited:

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Hmmm...a giant social gathering. Like churches on Easter would be. :|
We in the Netherlands we maybe got "lucky" difficult to say. Because the most cases here or where it mostly started was in the south where Carnival is big. That created a big spread also.
The lucky part comes in. Is that we had for weeks alot of storms arround that time. So alot of Carnival parades and gatherings were cancelled. Maybe we "lucked out" with that.