• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Nov 13, 2017
Lol so now pumas started to appear in my city because of less humans outside. They actually saw one near my home, it's not even that close to the mountains.

twitter.com

ALERTA DE EMERGENCIA🇨🇱 on Twitter

“AHORA🚧🦠 Puma que debe haber bajado de las montañas corre por avenida procuro. El coronavirus le ha dado libertad a animales salvajes https://t.co/EwKozZzNJh”

I just realized I've never seen a Puma before. Only the logo of the company.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a thread for "fun free distractions during lockdown"? It seems a little inappropriate to post them here.

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich

TTG

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
The country runs on self interest and it's mostly all theoretical to people until it's them and their loved ones. There's only so much you can pin on Trump or the right.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
edition.cnn.com

How an Austrian ski resort helped coronavirus spread across Europe

Henrik Lerfeldt has fond memories of Kitzloch, a popular restaurant and bar in the Austrian ski resort town of Ischgl, where he partied several nights while on vacation three weeks ago.

playing beer pong while pandemic

result: hundreds of cases
Also the Champions League match between Atalanta and Valencia was just a hot spot. That match should never been played.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
I think looking at the total numbers per country doesn't say the full story. Spain has Madrid and Italy had Lombardia as main concentration zones of infections and death. Looking at Germany the infection is pretty spread out between the states and none of them is even close to the concentration of infections in Madrid and North Italy. That's making a huge distinction. I couldn't find the data about France yet per regions but I guess Paris probably it's pretty high on the list.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Portugal:

2362 infected cases
+302 since yesterday
29 deaths.
+ 6 since yesterday.
22 recoveries.
+8 since yesterday.

(For reference, they've testing ~4k people per day and have intentions to increase that capacity as soon as they can).

Wolfapo

Dec 27, 2017
I think looking at the total numbers per country doesn't say the full story. Spain has Madrid and Italy had Lombardia as main concentration zones of infections and death. Looking at Germany the infection is pretty spread out between the states and none of them is even close to the concentration of infections in Madrid and North Italy. That's making a huge distinction. I couldn't find the data about France yet per regions but I guess Paris probably it's pretty high on the list.
Well, three states have over 50% of the infections (NRW, Bayern and Baden-Württemberg.
The states in eastern Germany are less affected (~12% of infections).

That's not really spread out.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands

5.560 cases
63 deaths since yesteday
811 new cases

Not good. It was going down abit last days arround 30 deaths.

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
And is that universal across all age ranges or different amongst all age groups? And if it's different, to what extent? And if to a dramatic extent, what does that tell us about the likely ratio of reported vs unreported cases in those respective age ranges?
Yes, and this includes the unreported cases. Or more accurately, there are slight variations between the age groups, around 18% for younger adults to about 30+% among older people, and it's very low percentage for children.

US may become centre of coronavirus pandemic, WHO says

www.theguardian.com

US may become next centre of coronavirus pandemic, says WHO

Figures go against Trump talk of restarting economy, as other countries tighten controls
Isn't this inevitable? The US' infection rate is completely out of control and half the country doesn't give a damn. Having the most incompetent government out there is only going to accelerate this.

Last edited:

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, and this includes the unreported cases. Or more accurately, there are slight variations between the age groups, around 18% for younger adults to about 30+% among older people, and it's very low percentage for children.

It's this inevitable? The US' infection rate is completely out of control and half the country doesn't give a damn. Having the most incompetent government out there is only going to accelerate this.

yes, it is inevitable, the US is so large and each state is like a mini-country

and you add in a stupid WH

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
The crazier thing is that they think letting the pandemic free would somehow make the economy come back.
It's wild isn't it. Still assuming that people are rational, selfless actors who would gladly risk themselves for the greater good after the last few weeks is delusional. They didn't do it for public health, they won't do it for the economy.

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
But US will suffer the least economic impact thanks to the sacrifice of [poor] grandparents and the massive blank cheques to business.
That's not how people work. If they feel that they are at risk then they'll take their safety in their own hands and possibly do even more damage to the economy in the process. Artificially trying to prop up the economy is a crazy dumb idea.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
Well, three states have over 50% of the infections (NRW, Bayern and Baden-Württemberg.
The states in eastern Germany are less affected (~12% of infections).

That's not really spread out.

Yes, but even those 3 states are far from the situation in Madrid and Lombardy. NRW which is the worst affected state is where Madrid was on 18th-19th of March in terms of infections.

Edit: 11th of March for Lombardy.

Last edited:

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Good news, given the horrible scenario.
Well, the number of infections is quite a bit lower than yesterday's ( which was 460), so that's refreshing. However since it's only a single day of it being down it's impossible to tell if that means things will calm down in the next few days or if it really was just a one day thing.

Our peak is supposed to be in early April (so, late next week).

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
That's a big increase. Are they only counting the weekend today like germany?
No they count during the weekends, although they did note that deaths sometimes aren't noted on the actual day the person passed away and that the numbers might change based on various circumstances, so it's very well possible some of these cases and deaths were from prior days and weren't counted back then for some reason.

lazybones18

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
www.espn.com

Ex-Texas A&M star guard dies after battling virus

David Edwards, a former Texas A&M guard who holds the school's single-season record for total assists from his play in the early 1990s, has died of complications from the coronavirus. Former St. John's guard Lee Green also died after battling the virus.

Is this the first former athlete to pass because of the virus?

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
According to the german hospital lobby group hospitals have increased ICU beds to 40k (up from 28k originally) and they want to go up to 56k.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017

Isn't this inevitable? The US' infection rate is completely out of control and half the country doesn't give a damn. Having the most incompetent government out there is only going to accelerate this.

I've got coworkers who are still saying shit like, "I'm a man of history and we are blowing this way out of proportion."

I tried to explain that, yes, the flu has killed more people and pneumonia (which seems to be the most similar disease to COVID-19) is treatable. But COVID-19 is overwhelming our hospitals at insane rates. It's not necessarily that people can't recovery (similar to how they CAN recover from the flu or pneumonia), it's that those in serious condition are not being given the chance to recover.

But of course, he still thinks "the media" is making too big of a deal about it all.

Oct 27, 2017
www.espn.com

Ex-Texas A&M star guard dies after battling virus

David Edwards, a former Texas A&M guard who holds the school's single-season record for total assists from his play in the early 1990s, has died of complications from the coronavirus. Former St. John's guard Lee Green also died after battling the virus.

Is this the first former athlete to pass because of the virus?

The end of the article mentions another athlete who also died by coronavirus.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
The news out of Italy confirms that a lock down and social distancing is the best way to slow the spread and cull the deaths from this virus. Two consecutive days of declines, after months of increases, is some of the only recent good news. Italy is now in day 15 of lockdown and the trends started to show declines in day 12.

Social distancing and lockdowns work.

And the media will continue to fail

Media like the NYT, Washington Post, AP, NPR, The Atlantic, and many others, have done an excellent job covering the coronavirus. Where Americans used to be able to rely on the Federal government to give them honest, sober, fact-based information about health threats, all we can rely on today is independent press and facts-based journalism. I really hate to cast such a wide net over all media like "the media is failing," because a lot of journalists are putting their lives at risk and being separated from their families to fill the void that our government has left on informing Americans of reality.

Moreover, it plays into Donald Trump's no-truth-only-Trump narrative. He'd love for all Americans to deeply distrust the media and only have faith in him alone. Please don't cede that to him.

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich

Not inevitable at all.
The US has one of the highest rates of ICUs per capita.
With proper preparation(testing, ramping up capacity) and messaging(early social distancing, quarantining, shutdowns) this could have gone relatively smoothly in the US.

Having this incompetent government is not just accelerating this, its the main reason it can even get this bad.
All these deaths the US is about to see will be 100% on this administration.

52club

Oct 27, 2017
I've lost around $100k in my investments, if there was ever a case these losses are justified this is it. If the US decides to not approach this appropriately anyone with a brain sees problems with ignoring medical professionals as this plays out over a longer period of time for the financial markets. I hope the adults in the room are able to convince others in the room that any short term financial solution is a lose/lose over the long term.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
922 in Chile. 170 in 24 hours. Still no lockdowns. Government is gently asking to stop price speculation (meds, food and other have jumped a lot, no measures taken).

First case of COVID-19 of a Subway station worker, they are "considering" closing stations.

Have I ever told you that our President has stocks of Private clinics, pharmacies and the like?

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
Not inevitable at all.
The US has one of the highest rates of ICUs per capita.
With proper preparation(testing, ramping up capacity) and messaging(early social distancing, quarantining, shutdowns) this could have gone relatively smoothly in the US.

Having this incompetent government is not just accelerating this, its the main reason it can even get this bad.
All these deaths the US is about to see will be 100% on this administration.
Oh I didn't mean that it was inevitable regardless of what actions were taken, but inevitable given the US' horrendous leadership.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
922 in Chile. 170 in 24 hours. Still no lockdowns. Government is gently asking to stop price speculation (meds, food and other have jumped a lot, no measures taken).

First case of COVID-19 of a Subway station worker, they are "considering" closing stations.

Have I ever told you that our President has stocks of Private clinics, pharmacies and the like?
That shit has disaster written all over it :/