• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mercurial

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We're so fucked if this thing mutates into something that kills everything and anything, old and young. It already kinda does kill a lot people.

Why do bats carry so many fucked up viruses?

Their living preferences and high mobility make them especially problematic from the standpoint of diseases. Depending on the species, their colonies can be extraordinarily large and generally rest in high concentrations. I was wondering the same thing a few nights ago.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I should just quit my job.
I've got enough in savings to coast for a few months. Plus it's not like pizza delivery restaurants ever stop hiring.

I suspect Florida is close behind New York and California in terms of infections, we just don't have numbers because there's no testing whatsoever.

Considering how many cruise ships come and go, all of the international travel to Orlando for example, plus all of the snowbirds combined with spring breakers. We are so incredibly fucked down here.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Welp. Shelter-in-place here starting tomorrow night. (Brazos county, central Texas). Still going to work in the morning, but probably only long enough for them to figure out what to do with us and make sure we have all the stuff we need to work from home. My team's pretty much set already.

elty

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah I should just quit my job.
I've got enough in savings to coast for a few months. Plus it's not like pizza delivery restaurants ever stop hiring.

I suspect Florida is close behind New York and California in terms of infections, we just don't have numbers because there's no testing whatsoever.
Pizza delivery may not stop hiring, but you have many people competing for a delivery job...

elty

Oct 31, 2017
Is there any truth to what my friend just sent me or could this be dismissed?

nypost.com

Whistleblower doctors say coronavirus reinfection even deadlier

Chinese doctors sounding the alarm on the coronavirus say the illness could be even deadlier for patients who catch it again, according to a report. The whistleblowing physicians working to fight t…

There was some reports of "reinfection" from China, but it was not know whether

a) the person really get reinfected by SARS-cov2 from a second source
b) the person has a secondary infection. Viral pneumonia of any type can lead to bacterial infection and it is far deadlier.
c) he is not really cured before he was discharged

I am not sure if it is reported anywhere other than China though. However, I don't think any drug that China used is known to cause heart issue. The 24 days of incubation is "true" as in there was like one reported case, but it is an outliner and it can be due to an error in contact tracing. I would say there is some "truth" in that article but it is distorted to sound scarier than needed.

Last edited:

someday

Oct 25, 2017
We all know he meant the poor grandparents who needs to die to prop up the rich one.
Yeah, at the end when Carlson asked him specifically if he was willing to die, there was a bit of hesitation before he started saying anything. The clip ends though so I'm not sure what his full answer was. He definitely wasn't meaning himself.

Vestal

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa FL

nypost.com

Chinese doctors sounding the alarm on the coronavirus say the illness could be even deadlier for patients who catch it again, according to a report. The whistleblowing physicians working to fight t…

I read that article just now.. I need more peer evidence before I take it as fact, cause FUCK that is pretty incendiary and absolutely horrifying.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I read that article just now.. I need more peer evidence before I take it as fact, cause FUCK that is pretty incendiary and absolutely horrifying.
We don't even know if you can get reinfected and it's only deadlier apparently because of the meds taken weaken your immune system. Dunno fam

Deleted member 49482

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2018
Yeah, at the end when Carlson asked him specifically if he was willing to die, there was a bit of hesitation before he started saying anything. The clip ends though so I'm not sure what his full answer was. He definitely wasn't meaning himself.
The coronavirus does not sound like a pleasant way to die. I'm sure in his head he's thinking, "I am confident I won't get sick, so sacrificing everyone else is the smart move." But I'm reasonably confident that if he is laying on his death bed, after a few days of suffering from the virus, he'd be begging to take everything back.

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019
In NC.

Had a jarring set of conflicting emotions after ordering dinner from applebee's, of all places.

There was a little printed thank you note with the food, obviously cut by hand. It almost brought me to tears.

My family would be fucked if I didn't somehow luck my way into my current job, where they take care of employees in a way that is almost unbelievable. Thinking about how much I rely on my job, and how much whoever cut out that note relies on applebee's in the same way, was almost too much for me.

The federal government really needs to do something for all of these people.

Deleted member 48991

Banned
Oct 24, 2018

nypost.com

1. nypost is a tabloid
2. It's dated February 19, sourcing article from February 14

Seems highly likely to be exaggerated, don't worry too much about it.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
We're so fucked if this thing mutates into something that kills everything and anything, old and young. It already kinda does kill a lot people.

Why do bats carry so many fucked up viruses?
Bats supposedly have insanely powerful immune system and anti-inflammatory system to tolerate that immune response. This combined with their numbers and close proximity to each other makes them perfect factory for making super viruses that generally don't harm them but can be deadly to other mammals.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Their living preferences and high mobility make them especially problematic from the standpoint of diseases. Depending on the species, their colonies can be extraordinarily large and generally rest in high concentrations. I was wondering the same thing a few nights ago.

great feature about bats

www.scientificamerican.com

How China’s ‘Bat Woman’ Hunted Down Viruses from SARS to the New Coronavirus

Wuhan-based virologist Shi Zhengli has identified dozens of deadly SARS-like viruses in bat caves, and she warns there are more out there

in general, bats have body temperature like a high fever when they are flying, so the viruses are more resilient when humans are having a fever

May 26, 2018

elty

Oct 31, 2017
Looking forward to the sequel, "How to Cause a Pandemic", about how governments worldwide failed to act to curb the spread of the virus and have been playing catch up ever since.

ETBO8T-WAAIOADl

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017
great feature about bats

www.scientificamerican.com

How China’s ‘Bat Woman’ Hunted Down Viruses from SARS to the New Coronavirus

Wuhan-based virologist Shi Zhengli has identified dozens of deadly SARS-like viruses in bat caves, and she warns there are more out there

in general, bats have body temperature like a high fever when they are flying, so the viruses are more resilient when humans are having a fever

wow this is a great article to read

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
The numbers are still staggering and depressing in Italy but if there is any silver lining, it seems like the shelter in place orders are working. Two consecutive days of a drop in new cases and a drop in deaths. The numbers are still insanely high, 600+ deaths today, but it's down from the high of Saturday.

Italy's lockdown began on March 9. It's been 14 days since then and the numbers started to go in decline yesterday. Really really hoping they continue trending in that direction.

www.bloomberg.com

Italy Virus Deaths Fall for Second Day as Germany Weighs Help

Italy reported 601 new deaths from the coronavirus on Monday, posting a decline for a second day, as the country enters its third week of lockdown measures designed to keep the spread of the disease in check.

Oct 27, 2017

Charging $60 for a case of toilet paper? That's quite the hustle
I wonder if these people realize that they will be the first ones killed or robbed if things continue to go sour. Nobody has time for this shit as is and it's likely that people will become even more volatile as days go by without the situation improving. I could see mobs of people lynching scalpers hoarding supplies. I pray it doesn't go that far but that's where we could be headed with this incompetent leadership.

Deleted member 48991

Banned
Oct 24, 2018
The numbers are still staggering and depressing in Italy but if there is any silver lining, it seems like the shelter in place orders are working. Two consecutive days of a drop in new cases and a drop in deaths. The numbers are still insanely high, 600+ deaths today, but it's down from the high of Saturday.

Italy's lockdown began on March 9. It's been 14 days since then and the numbers started to go in decline yesterday. Really really hoping they continue trending in that direction.

www.bloomberg.com

Italy Virus Deaths Fall for Second Day as Germany Weighs Help

Italy reported 601 new deaths from the coronavirus on Monday, posting a decline for a second day, as the country enters its third week of lockdown measures designed to keep the spread of the disease in check.
That's great news. I hope they can get things under control ASAP.

unrealist

Oct 27, 2017
Why are most cases in NY only? Is it because of its density or is it because it's the only state doing mass testing?

If it's the latter, I cant imagine the figures once all states commit to testing.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Why are most cases in NY only? Is it because of its density or is it because it's the only state doing mass testing?

If it's the latter, I cant imagine the figures once all states commit to testing.

Cuomo said that 25% of all tests in the US are from NY. They're mass testing unlike anyone else so they're seeing much larger results.

Sky Chief

Oct 30, 2017
So, I've got pressure on the sides of my chest but I don't have shortness of breath or a fever. Should I be worried? I was doing push-ups the other day and I thought it might be residual pain from that since I'm out of shape but now I'm not sure. How anxious should I be?

It literally sounds exactly like anxiety. These are really stressful times and stress causes tension in the chest. Maybe try some guided relaxation meditation?

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Ok at this point you have to wonder where this really came from.

This is general blanket advice for everyone but especially for those feeling overwhelmed and anxious. Don't overload yourself with every single bit of information and stick to factual well researched sources. There's a lot of stuff floating around and you'll just scare yourself and add to the misinformation being spread.