• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Working in food delivery is already enough bullshit, especially with a pandemic hanging over everyone's head. Lifting the quarantine is a death sentence.

The economy can get double fucked for all I care. I've been trapped in shit-tier jobs making garbage wages when the economy was "good". Nothing is ever going to change for workers like myself.

*fistbump*, err *elbowbump*

I am working shitty minimum wage call center jobs for over 10 years. I don't care about my job one bit, even if the economy goes into the dump, a shitty minimum wage job in a call center is always available.

My temp agency sends a little propaganda pamphlet just two months ago that you are allowed to go to work even if you have a sick note from the doctor. "Only YOU can decide when you are able to go to work and not your doctor" fucking asswipes.

I don't risk my life (30% disabled with respiratory problems and high blood pressure) to save the economy or my company.

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
I'm @ing the few Hoosiers I know here
nicoga3000 FallenHeroX1 ArkkAngel007

I have often dumped on Gov. HolcomBump-on-a-log. I don't need him to be at the forefront in setting the standard for how State Governments react to this (ala Gov. DeWine or Gov. Newsom), but I do need him to be exactly what he is now: making the right calls for our State with COVID-19 and not resting on his laurels.

I watched his State Address in full an hour ago and I think he did an excellent job. My eyes almost rolled out of my head when he began point 3, but I listened. I am non-spiritual and by the end of his point I was won over. Not for myself, but for those that are spiritual. And there's quite a lot in Indiana!

I think what he said today, all of it, was poignant and spot-on. And he gets mondo points for recognizing and praising the Healthcare workers and, yes, the "Faith Leaders." He did what was best for us, he communicated it well, and he showed the State that he knows the gravity of the situation.

...And the State website is down. I'd like to think it's due to an increase in traffic for all the right reasons.

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
Worth mentioning that China's "aid" is starting to come at the same time the government is trying to dominate the narrative by pushing conspiracies of all kinds.

They are misconstructing this article (which they won't link, since the source also claimed in a previous piece that the virus was spreading in Wuhan much sooner than officially declared by the Chinese authorities) in order to turn the "Chinese virus" into the "Italian virus".

It's quite ghoulish. Taking a few notes here from the success of Russia with RT.

China is now trying to use this pandemic to gain soft-power.

There is a high likelihood they will be successful.
Several reasons:
1. The truth is ambiguous in this case, because several major players have no interest in the truth, because truth would mean blame placed upon them. So Chinas propaganda won't be up against the truth, but up against different propaganda spins.
2. Chinas handling of this was, although authoritarian, way more competent than the US'. The US just at the beginning of a nightmare without precedent. This will erode global trust in US abilities.
3. This is a global economic crisis of probably unprecedented proportions. A crisis like that always means a reallocation of power, a shift in the global power balance.

China now wants to strengthen its role in order to be better able to shape the system that will replace the one that is in the process of collapsing.

The US is ruled by a moron in every sense of the word. Europe is divided and way too timid anyways.
China sees this as its opportunity to replace the global hegemony we've lived in since WW2.

Nintenleo

Nov 9, 2017
Italy

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
*checks Worldometer* "Huh, cases seem kinda slow today again in Germany. Finally seeing the restrictions working?!"

*checks Morgenpost* "Ah nevermind, World is slow. We're back : ("

People only started to take this seriously since last week, kinda.

I expect the number to slow down starting next week.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
So, just found out that the Chic-fil-a that my brother-in-law works for has someone that is being tested and quarantined. They've shut down the restaurant now. A week ago my mom watched his family's kids and my kids, while my wife and I worked out how to basically go on lock-down in our house.

Stuff like this is so nerve racking man. I'm worried about my family, and I'm really worried about my parents. My dad took my nephew, brother-in-law's son, hiking Sunday too. Ugh

Kodoku

Sep 20, 2019
Dunno if China can ever get wet markets to stop especially in poorer and more isolated areas, it's like trying to stop people from going to the beaches with the coronavirus going strong. The people do what they like.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People only started to take this seriously since last week, kinda.

I expect the number to slow down starting next week.
Absolutely. In some EU countries it's already mandatory to wear masks in public, more countries starting to recommend them which should turn into requirement later on when mask supply has normalized. We can fight this virus!

Honome

Jan 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Nice to see that Italy numbers are finally slowing down, let's hope it keeps decreasing in the following days. It's been how many days since the full country lockdown?

rhindle

Oct 27, 2017
Really encouraging news from Italy. Deaths are down as well from yesterday, for the very first time I believe.

deathkiller

Apr 11, 2018
The defense of China is maddening.

China still takes blame for the cover-up, a time in which this could have been contained, or more contained, than it is now.

Their wet markets also allowed the virus transmission to happen in the first place.

Their lockdown supposedly worked because it was so draconian - groceries delivered, sick people pulled from their homes, which cannot happen in most countries in the same fashion.
Even if they had not done any cover-up almost any other country would also had failed to fully contain the virus since it was new and unknown. I blame them for the unethical criminal cover-up but all the outbreaks in Europe and USA are due to our owns governments and no one else.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
fffuuuccckkkkk

They are discussing splitting my shift now into 1st and 2nd for the time being to limit density. Also getting my workers compliance paper to show to cops when I'm traveling to and from work, as you will be questioned in the early hours of the morning if police feel like it.

If people would have just limited themselves socially before this stay at home order, none of this shit would have happened.......

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
For puget sound peeps in Washington:

1fc0eadfe82cc97b28075681a009a082134a03cd.jpg

Nintenleo

Nov 9, 2017
Italy
To my fellow italians: yes, the trend seems to be going down, but this is the crucial moment. If we don't follow the rules now, we'll be fucked anyway.
We got this.

Deleted member 17289

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I never get runny nose, cough or suffer from allergies, however the past 7 days have been a constant of those 3 symptoms, i take my body temperature 2 times per day, 98.4 F is the highest I've had, it usually staying around 97.8, my mom lives with us and she is 70, i called to try and get tested, NJ, and i was told unless i felt I was dying i should stay home, don't know what to do.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Talking about herd immunity at this stage is nonsense.

Herd immunity is a natural path that takes years with help of Vaccines. Anyone who talks about herd immunity at this stage basically proposes to artificially infect their own population. You can't rush herd immunity and flatten the curve at the same time.
Yup and it's driving me nuts in general. I understand people are afraid, and don't know how they will survive potentially months of lock down but the failure to grasp how much more catastrophic going for a speed run of head immunity would be is mind boggling.

So many of the people, even within this thread, are quoting around a 2-3% death rate for that which is the rumored death rate for the virus in general.

I've seen time and time again people are bad at math they can't understand a very basic exponential curve, but is it really that hard to grasp that if we overwhelm the hospitals not only will people with the coronavirus not be able to get the treatment they need, but neither will anyone else? If we attempted to speed run the virus we would be looking at losing 10-15% of the population over a 3-6 month period. That would completely an utterly destroy the economy with no way for the government to be able to step in and help.

Our choices right now are between a terrible option and a catastrophic option and I really wish people would stop looking at the catastrophic option and going "well... maybe." especially since we don't know if we will be able to stay immune after getting it. If the virus mutates or if it's possible to be reinfected in general all speed running it would do is create a massive amount of deaths before we started round two.

We also won't be in complete lock down for a year. There is a chance that the summer does slow the virus, but beyond that as we get treatments and better tests we can more easily move towards properly testing people, quarantining them and those they came in contact with, and treating them as we somewhat reopen things.

Again I understand people are afraid, but I beg you, please stop and actually think about what you are saying if you are suggesting to just open everything back up in two weeks. How you are asking countless more people to die in an act that will only further destabilize the world economy. Give up on society returning right back to how it was before the virus spread, it isn't happening any time soon. It's here, and we have to deal with it. Just ignoring it and attempting to go back to how it was will only cause more problems.

Instead take that fear and frustration and direct it towards the politicians that should be helping us. The politicians that in America are stalling out needed aid because they keep trying to shove stuff unrelated to the bill to aid people in there, or who are trying to get blank checks to fund their own companies/the companies that donated to them instead of setting up something that is transparent and helps all. Humanity as a whole has always been able to adapt, and we can and will adapt to this situation.

Kikujiro

Oct 27, 2017
Dunno if China can ever get wet markets to stop especially in poorer and more isolated areas, it's like trying to stop people from going to the beaches with the coronavirus going strong. The people do what they like.

Let's hope Chinese people will denounce those markets themselves or burn them down directly, since I don't Chinese people want to deal with this shit again, but you're probably, you can't stop people doing stupid things and it only takes one idiot to ruin it for everybody.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
I never get runny nose, cough or suffer from allergies, however the past 7 days have been a constant of those 3 symptoms, i take my body temperature 2 times per day, 98.4 F is the highest I've had, it usually staying around 97.8, my mom lives with us and she is 70, i called to try and get tested, NJ, and i was told unless i felt I was dying i should stay home, don't know what to do.

your situtation is no doubt the reason why numbers are still as low as they are. Lack of testing.........i bet you every single state number is probably 3-4x more than whats reported because everywhere is the same bullshit. Unless you check off every damn box, they don't give a fuck.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
your situtation is no doubt the reason why numbers are still as low as they are. Lack of testing.........i bet you every single state number is probably 3-4x more than whats reported because everywhere is the same bullshit. Unless you check off every damn box, they don't give a fuck.

3x-4x? That would be AWESOME. Someone said yesterday its probably anywhere from 10x-100x higher than what the tests show.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Here in Colombia we are at 200+ cases and we are already on total lockdown.
WTH chile?

Gotta say I'm really happy with Peru's response to this shit. We went on full lockdown mode after 70 cases.

We are ruled by complete incompetence

That's our health minister.

Medics and academics are asking for lockdowns, but but but the "economy" and stuff is the answer. It *might* change this week, but it's hard. Supplies are running short already for the medical staff.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
The defense of China is maddening.

China still takes blame for the cover-up, a time in which this could have been contained, or more contained, than it is now.

Their wet markets also allowed the virus transmission to happen in the first place.

Their lockdown supposedly worked because it was so draconian - groceries delivered, sick people pulled from their homes, which cannot happen in most countries in the same fashion.
Who is defending China?

They fucked up, many western nations still had plenty of time to take major measures to prevent spread and failed to do so. American airports are still a disaster right now, no sanitization policies in place at customs and immigration, no appropriate distancing measures at security etc. Then you have Trump contradicting and lying to cover his ass even though it's doing incredible damage from a harm minimization standpoint.

If China got the information out 2 or 3 weeks earlier, would the US be in better shape than it is currently? The answer is a definitive no because you had the dickhead in chief still calling it a hoax 2 or 3 weeks ago.

Milky Way

Oct 29, 2017

yeah...you don't qualify for testing.You don't even have a mild fever. Just keep doing what you're doing. Nothing you can do.

Trice

Banned
Nov 3, 2018
Croatia
I'm at day 5 of strict self isolation and it's starting to take a toll. Thankfully I've got a fairly large outside space and garden so it's manegeable. I think I'll be losing weight too lol since all I eat is what my family members bring me.

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
No, it really doesn't if you isolate vulnerable groups and exercise measures against spreading.
The vulnerable group is everyone. The press concentrates too much on the death rate when the bigger problem is the hospitalization rate which currently is about 20%. It's just a monumentally stupid idea.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017

You just need to calm down a bit and get it out of your head. I've been there, I know how easy it is to let it get to you. Your symptoms don't match what we know.

Flu-vs-Allergies-vs-COVID_1copy.jpg

elty

Oct 31, 2017
China is now trying to use this pandemic to gain soft-power.

There is a high likelihood they will be successful.
Several reasons:
1. The truth is ambiguous in this case, because several major players have no interest in the truth, because truth would mean blame placed upon them. So Chinas propaganda won't be up against the truth, but up against different propaganda spins.
2. Chinas handling of this was, although authoritarian, way more competent than the US'. The US just at the beginning of a nightmare without precedent. This will erode global trust in US abilities.
3. This is a global economic crisis of probably unprecedented proportions. A crisis like that always means a reallocation of power, a shift in the global power balance.

China now wants to strengthen its role in order to be better able to shape the system that will replace the one that is in the process of collapsing.

The US is ruled by a moron in every sense of the word. Europe is divided and way too timid anyways.
China sees this as its opportunity to replace the global hegemony we've lived in since WW2.

Do we always have the mentality that "if a virus emerge from country X, it is entirely their fault"? Do people blame HIV on Africa or USA? H1N1 on Mexico or the US? Mad Cow Disease on UK?

But anyways, I highly doubt China will be able to replace USA. US simply has better technology, resource, economical power and better projection of arms. China may over take US for technology one day (except that US will try every way possible to stop that), but they cannot make oil appear in their land out of thin air, or suddenly acquire hundreds of oversea bases overnight. They are highly unlikely to destabilize USD enough to remove its role as the international currency. When everything still trades in USD, USA will remain as the only true world power.

alex.magnus

Oct 28, 2017
ITALY
numbers keep going DOWN
almost 200 < then yesterday

yesterday we had 3957 new cases
today 3780
yesterday 651 deceased
today 601 deceased