• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
At least the weather went back to shit so I don't feel so bad about staying inside all day now
sNp9vsU.png

We're washingtonians, we don't melt under showers. Will keep the people away from the beaches and parks hopefully.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Again, what do you expect the US to do when they are struggling just as much as Europe?
Italy has been dealing with this for more than a month now while the US only escalated in this past week. Air force actually had 50k masks in italy but decided to rather bring it back to the US for example. Trump and his admin tried to steal european scientists and get them to make a vaccine exclusive to the US. Trump unilaterally closed the borders to europe without consulting with his european 'allies' which caused even more economic harm but hey i guess america first and everything.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
700+ cases in Chile, one new death that was confirmed after the official number was "updated" in a pandemonium of a local authority and the central government.

Curfew was set yesterday from 22 PM to 5AM, some journalists claimed that the decision was because wealthy fucks going out to party in the middle of the pandemic.

However, due to delays in transportation, subway and buses were flooded with workers.

This country is going to a hole thanks to incompetence.
Gotta say I'm really happy with Peru's response to this shit. We went on full lockdown mode after 70 cases.

KingKong

Oct 27, 2017
Again, what do you expect the US to do when they are struggling just as much as Europe?

they could stop increasing sanctions on Iran. its very funny that China is literally helping everyone around the world and people still think there's a nefarious agenda while we Americans are naturally the good guys that are doing the best we can. maybe the countries in the European Union should ask each other for help instead? could we ask Italy how that's going?

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017

This seem to be more and more popular view in Wall Street, and Wall Street got the ear of a large chunk of our political system.

And it's utterly nuts because the only group that's actually low risk are children. Even healthy adults have around a 20% hospitalization rate! Never mind that actually doing this would probably cause far more damage than a few months of lockdowns.

The other issue is that THIS IS NOT HERD IMMUNITY IT'S JUST IMMUNITY.....

Herd immunity is when enough people in the population are immune to confer immunity to those who are not immune, i.e. babies, elderly, immunocompromised. HIT (Herd immunity threshold) also varies based on the R0 of a disease. In this pandemic strategy, immunity and herd immunity is being interchanged. They're just saying let's get enough people sick that they can recover and return to work. They're not thinking about herd immunity. They just want people to have adaptive immunity.
Yeah, the whole "There's a dangerous disease running around. Let's get everyone sick!" is something that should be the domain of crazed death cults, not actual governments.

The Emperor

Oct 25, 2017
Herd immunity only works when a significant majority of the population is, you know... immune.

Not the case here, obviously. How is this even in the conversation when it comes to COVID?
Honest to god if I hear anyone utter the words herd immunity again (in regards to covid) I'm gonna have a stroke. It is not and should never be tbe focus of convo/plan in combatting a disease that has no vaccine yet and that is in a pandemic stage. Unless you are happy to gamble the lives of millions of elderly people (and a few thousand young)...and as I have taken the hippocratic oath I am not happy to take that gamble.

I don't wanna hear the phrase herd immunity again till we have a vaccine...which is not for a year

This coming from someone who is a doctor

NegroNinja

Oct 27, 2017
I'm an essential employee who works supply chain in a hospital. I'm incredibly nervous about this virus as I live with my dad who has COPD. Right now I have a very dry throat with a slight annoying cough. But the kicker is I just started this job in February so I don't want to stay home because I think it looks bad. What should I do? This anxiety is driving me crazy.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Italy has been dealing with this for more than a month now while the US only escalated in this past week. Air force actually had 50k masks in italy but decided to rather bring it back to the US for example. Trump and his admin tried to steal european scientists and get them to make a vaccine exclusive to the US. Trump unilaterally closed the borders to europe without consulting with his european 'allies' which caused even more economic harm but hey i guess america first and everything.
I don't think any country that was seeing a massive escalation of cases in their own borders while having a major shortfall of masks would have donated them. The masks weren't stolen by the Air Force. They were US masks on a base in Italy. The vaccine thing is indefensible but so too is China wasting weeks with cover up BS.

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
Man how is it not slowing down at all? Hasn't Spain been quarantined for a while now?
It's a pile up. The lockdown came in effect the 14th, which means that already saturated hospitals are receiving those who have been incubating the virus since before then. Resources are also much more strained, meaning higher mortality.

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
I see photos taken in other countries of empty streets, yet this weekend in California it looked like a normal weekend with people everywhere.

I'm happy after seeing all the social media coverage, the LA mayor closed down all parks, after seeing too many people.

It just looks like no Californian (American?) can be told to quarantine, and stay home as much as possible. I guess that's why California now has the virus spreading rapidly.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think any country that was seeing a massive escalation of cases in their own borders while having a major shortfall of masks would have donated them. The masks weren't stolen by the Air Force. They were US masks on a base in Italy. The vaccine thing is indefensible but so too is China wasting weeks with cover up BS.
This is factually untrue as germany has provided 1 million masks to italy last week while their hospitals are running out of masks.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
China has no fault in this.

What? One of their wet markets caused this, just like they caused SARS. After SARS happened they banned wet markets, but then promptly opened them up again when the world forgot about it. That's on top of the cover up they attempted at first.

Sorry but I can't even remotely agree with attempting to completely wash China's hands off their responsibility of a situation the entire world is facing. The Chinese government better be helpful to countries in need.

It's a pile up. The lockdown came in effect the 14th, which means that already saturated hospitals are receiving those who have been incubating the virus since before then. Resources are also much more strained, meaning higher mortality.

Ah that explains it.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
I'm an essential employee who works supply chain in a hospital. I'm incredibly nervous about this virus as I live with my dad who has COPD. Right now I have a very dry throat with a slight annoying cough. But the kicker is I just started this job in February so I don't want to stay home because I think it looks bad. What should I do? This anxiety is driving me crazy.

If you work in a hospital and have a potential symptom, the responsible thing is to tell your supervisor what's going on.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You mean this lab?

Also closing the borders to Europe was ultimately the right call, especially considering that Europe did the same thing two days later.

Also, of course the US had to bring its masks home.... there is a major mask shortage in the US.

dean_rcg

Oct 27, 2017
Just a reminder people like this exist and are probably in positions of power (this guy thankfully is just some random CA Attorney)

twitter.com

Scott A McMillan on Twitter

“@eugenegu @realDonaldTrump The fundamental problem is whether we are going to tank the entire economy to save 2.5% of the population which is (1) generally expensive to maintain, and (2) not productive.”
Is his name Eugene or did he spell eugenics wrong?

Gibson

Oct 29, 2017
Lombardy numbers have decreased for the third day in a row. Looks like they've finally got it under control there. Lockdowns work!

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
This is seeming more and more unlikely the further we get into this pandemic, but is still ostensibly true.
If the virus had gotten out of China earlier than January you would have seen healthcare systems collapse by February at the very latest.

Novel illnesses like that don't go unnoticed in hospitals and considering the high level of infectiousness it would have quickly been a considerable number of cases.

This thing was under control in January and through parts of February. Then Italy failed to stay on top of people returning from China through other countries. Then Austria fucked the rest of Europe by not shutting down their ski resorts when Iceland reported several cases amongst tourists from that area on March 1st.

That's now over 3 weeks ago. Austria closed its resorts beginning on the 14th of March. Meaning that several thousands of people skied and partied for 2 weeks in places where the virus had been spreading for at least 2 weeks already(so 4 weeks in total).
Thats tens of thousands of tourists returning home across Europe, unaware that they have been in a risk area, happily spreading the virus for weeks to come.
Germany noticed rates of up to 80% infected among groups returning from these ski resorts.

Apart from Italy, the outbreak in Europe is mainly to blame on Austria's failure to react to Iceland's reports on March 1st.
They should have shut everything there down immediately, declare the region a risk area like Wuhan and Iran and quarantine everyone who was there in February and inform the world about it so they check people who returned from the region.

But they didn't because they wanted to protect their tourism business.

These are the mistakes that will cost billions of € and thousands of lives.

Last edited:

Astronut325

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Just a reminder people like this exist and are probably in positions of power (this guy thankfully is just some random CA Attorney)

twitter.com

Scott A McMillan on Twitter

“@eugenegu @realDonaldTrump The fundamental problem is whether we are going to tank the entire economy to save 2.5% of the population which is (1) generally expensive to maintain, and (2) not productive.”
Yet.., people most likely to be affected will vote Trump!

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
You mean this lab?

Also closing the borders to Europe was ultimately the right call, especially considering that Europe did the same thing two days later.

Also, of course the US had to bring its masks home.... there is a major mask shortage in the US.
So what you're saying is we're only allies as long as it benefits you americans. Thank you that is as much as i have gathered.

And you wonder why people praise china for sending aid while this is your response?
That...may bite them in the ass if it takes off in Germany soon
The curve in germany is slowing according to their CDC, they just received a batch of 10 million masks this week with more on the way so i guess they'll be fine.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man how is it not slowing down at all? Hasn't Spain been quarantined for a while now?

We've been quarantined for a week now. We have started slowing down the curve, so the number of cases is lower than the projections (but not much), keep in mind we will probably be quarantined for at least 3 weeks or so.

Think Italy has been on quarantine even longer and they are hoping the curve to go down in the next week.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
China shut down their country when they had 500 infected and 17 deaths and mobilized their entire economy to fight that virus. Trump was calling it fake news when the US had such numbers.
We had enough time to prepare for this, there were very very few infected people in the US at the time and we did nothing except talking shit about their AuThOrItArIaN mEaSuReS (the US fucking tried to file a human rights complaint against China for violating people's freedom of movement when they closed Wuhan down).
They botched the early response for sure, they know it more than anyone and they fired pretty much everyone who was in a position to respond for this in Wuhan and Hubei, and I'm pretty damn certain a whole lot of people are going to go jail for a long ass time for the way they handled it.

Trump is trying to deflect blame for his incompetence by making it about China, and I really really don't think we should be helping him with that.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So what you're saying is we're only allies as long as it benefits you americans. Thank you that is as much as i have gathered.

And you wonder why people praise china for sending aid while this is your response?

The curve in germany is slowing according to their CDC, they just received a batch of 10 million masks this week with more on the way so i guess they'll be fine.
It's funny how you keep asking what has the US done for you, but not the other way around. But keep posting that the US is evil and trying to "steal vaccines" even though the lab itself says that that is false.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
China shut down their country when they had 500 infected and 17 deaths and mobilized their entire economy to fight that virus. Trump was calling it fake news when the US had such numbers.
We had enough time to prepare for this, there were very very few infected people in the US at the time and we did nothing except talking shit about their AuThOrItArIaN mEaSuReS (the US fucking tried to file a human rights complaint against China for violating people's freedom of movement when they closed Wuhan down).
They botched the early response for sure, they know it more than anyone and they fired pretty much everyone who was in a position to respond for this in Wuhan and Hubei, and I'm pretty damn certain a whole lot of people are going to go jail for a long ass time for the way they handled it.

Trump is trying to deflect blame for his incompetence by making it about China, and I really really don't think we should be helping him with that.
My post is not a defense of Trump at all. I just find it odd and off-putting that there is so much praise for the CCP when they allowed the situation which led to COVID-19 and then botched it in the initial weeks in such a dramatic way. The US certainly doesn't deserve any praise for its response but CCP doesn't either.

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
What? One of their wet markets caused this, just like they caused SARS. After SARS happened they banned wet markets, but then promptly opened them up again when the world forgot about it. That's on top of the cover up they attempted at first.

Sorry but I can't even remotely agree with attempting to completely wash China's hands off their responsibility of a situation the entire world is facing. The Chinese government better be helpful to countries in need.

Viruses like that can originate from everywhere. Whether its a Chinese wet market or a European or American factory farm doesn't matter at the end of the day.
The cover-up at first also didn't impede the rest of the world's ability to act.

It's important not to blame China here but to point out the mistakes within the international reactions that caused this terrible outcome.

This wasn't the last virus with pandemic potential we will face and if we don't learn from our mistakes but instead blame China, we will be just as fucked the next time it happens.

We had 3 months and did nothing for 3 months. That's not Chinas fault.

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't agree that "healthy people should go back to work" and we should just avoid quarantine. That said, I do think there's some truth to the reality that this is not a sustainable solution either. If we literally knock out 40% of the economy for 6-12 months, there will be no hospitals left to save people. Everything will break down at some point. It sucks, I don't have a good solution, isolation for a 4 weeks or so? Sure. After May though, people are going to start losing their minds and homes unless something drastic is done.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My post is not a defense of Trump at all. I just find it odd and off-putting that there is so much praise for the CCP when they allowed the situation which led to COVID-19 and then botched it in the initial weeks in such a dramatic way. The US certainly doesn't deserve any praise for its response but CCP doesn't either.
What is gained by insisting on blaming this on China outside making the inevitable Trump deflection more effective?
Honest question.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
It's funny how you keep asking what has the US done for you, but not the other way around. But keep posting that the US is evil and trying to "steal vaccines" even though the lab itself says that that is false.
Ah yes the lab that only came out saying it would not move to the US after it has gained a 80m € grant from the EU. Surely that is totally trustworthy!

But go ahead and blame everything on china while using trump talking points.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Viruses like that can originate from everywhere. Whether its a Chinese wet market or a European or American factory farm doesn't matter at the end of the day.
Yes theoretically they could, if the European or American factory farm was infested by bats. Only both SARS 1 and SARS 2 came from a Chinese wet market, after these wet markets were designated as something that should be closed because of the likeliness that zoonotic viruses will originate from there, so hmmmm.

HammerOfThor

Oct 26, 2017
Welp, my kid's local school district just sent out an email that on the 11th a kids mom got tested, and just got the results back this Sat(wtf 10 days?!) and just notified the district on Sat. Schools closed on the 13th, which means there is a chance that in the time leading up to it the mom passed it to the kid, who I'm sure passed it to everyone else.

FML.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
China has no fault in this.

They informed the world in early January.
That was before the virus left China.

that is not true, china advised everyone to shut up through the whole december. there were doctors who knew early about this and they were told to not say anything about it. one of them was dr. li wenliang who later officially "died of the virus". (and was 33 years old)
first case was end of november or even before, no one knows.

www.livescience.com

1st known case of coronavirus traced back to November in China

A 55-year-old individual from Hubei province in China may have been the first person to have contracted COVID-19, the disease caused by the new coronavirus spreading across the globe.

this is documented, you can find much more infos if you want. also, 5 million people fleed from Wuhan before there was the lockdown.

also, watch this documentary about the beginnings of the epidemic

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
The cover-up at first also didn't impede the rest of the world's ability to act.

It's important not to blame China here but to point out the mistakes within the international reactions that caused this terrible outcome.

We can definitely do both

like no reason for a fucking cover up to get off scot-free because we should have reacted better?

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
The Chinese were dealing with an unknown virus. The US has been dealing with far better data. It took China about a month to notify the WHO and the US is where it is currently almost 3 months later.

The US issues are their own fault at this point, their response is 100% their responsibility and at the end of the day the death toll will be far greater than it will be in China. Take from that what you will.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I don't agree that "healthy people should go back to work" and we should just avoid quarantine. That said, I do think there's some truth to the reality that this is not a sustainable solution either. If we literally knock out 40% of the economy for 6-12 months, there will be no hospitals left to save people. Everything will break down at some point. It sucks, I don't have a good solution, isolation for a 4 weeks or so? Sure. After May though, people are going to start losing their minds and homes unless something drastic is done.
Yea I think end of May is probably a reasonable timeframe. Anything past that and that 30% unemployment might be a reality. You absolutely can't do a lockdown situation for 6+ months.

Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't matter what your opinion is. When we have daily news of new aid from china arriving while all we get from the US is border closures or insults from agent orange it matters more than some random argument if they could do more or not. There virus is here, we cannot change the past but i will take every aid i can get to get through the present.

But why does the US owe the EU anything in this? The US isnt doing enough for EU?

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What is gained by insisting on blaming this on China outside making the inevitable Trump deflection more effective?
Honest question.
I don't think there's a huge benefit of blaming China but I also don't think that blaming the CCP = giving Trump a pass. The CCP blew it early on and Trump still had ample time to prep the US which he squandered with BS "just like the flu" nonsense. People can assign blame to both.
I also think there's a difference between blaming China and lavishing praise on them.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User banned (1 month): xenophobia
Ah yes the lab that only came out saying it would not move to the US after it has gained a 80m € grant from the EU. Surely that is totally trustworthy!

But go ahead and blame everything on china while using trump talking points.
I'm not blaming everything on China. I am saying China does not deserve any praise for helping with a pandemic they created. The mess that the West is in is still mostly their doing.