• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
Lol WTF. Helpful? Are you actually seriously saying that?
The Chinese government has been sending personnel and equipment to a lot of the worst hit areas in Italy. Part of it is propaganda, but this is the type of gesture that will be remembered by European countries in years to come, especially as the US decides to bunker down and not cooperate.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
700+ cases in Chile, one new death that was confirmed after the official number was "updated" in a pandemonium of a local authority and the central government.

Curfew was set yesterday from 22 PM to 5AM, some journalists claimed that the decision was because wealthy fucks going out to party in the middle of the pandemic.

However, due to delays in transportation, subway and buses were flooded with workers.

This country is going to a hole thanks to incompetence.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
can someone tell me what in the F we are doing in the US... each day i wake up with terrible news like 'oh its about to get real ugly in the US this week" then why the F are we not doing anything about it... what are we waiting for?? pigs to fly??? thousand more lives lost??? lock shit down. each day we wait is TONS of more lives lost:( is this so stupid and so unreal. this whole weekend went by not one shit changed.. other than listening to trump talk out of his ass and ramble everyday.. this world blows lol
The official stance is basically "hey now slow down let's wait and see, maybe it won't be as bad as every expert in the entire world says it is"

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Feel totally fine, but my stomach is upset this morning. Real pain in the ass how general symptoms of this thing are. Every little common symptom immediately makes me think I have this and will die.

Oct 25, 2017
At least the weather went back to shit so I don't feel so bad about staying inside all day now
sNp9vsU.png

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
My opinion is that doesn't not make up for lack of due diligence on the front end of things.
It doesn't matter what your opinion is. When we have daily news of new aid from china arriving while all we get from the US is border closures or insults from agent orange it matters more than some random argument if they could do more or not. There virus is here, we cannot change the past but i will take every aid i can get to get through the present.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
My workplace in Michigan is actually trying to pull a GameStop, holy shit. Fuck all of these penny pinching idiots for putting everyone at risk.

gig

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Feel totally fine, but my stomach is upset this morning. Real pain in the ass how general symptoms of this thing are. Every little common symptom immediately makes me think I have this and will die.

Just remember -- one symptom generally means nothing. Could be anything. Keep tabs on the symptom requirements and you'll be ok.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Welp we just got news about the shutdown that's happening tomorrow and I guess everyone else saw it because it's crazy. Not much though, there's limits on eggs, meat, paper and water. Hopefully it doesn't get crazy here.

Joco

Oct 29, 2017
Time to find out if my manufacturing job is deemed essential. Guessing they'll come up with some bullshit reason to say it is.

Naru

May 11, 2019
This topic really brings out the worst in people. The observations and conversations I had today were nothing short of depressing. Not a single hint of solidarity. Not even now.

BIG-JG

Oct 27, 2017
Everyone if you are posting an update about where you live, please post where you are living, we have no clue where you are. Thanks.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Then say this instead of making inflammatory accusations about the Netherlands not testing. Ofcourse in a perfect society we're testing the entire population every single day but this isn't feasible.

We might use different metrics compared to other countries right now because we aren't doing mass screenings on non-ill people but that does not mean our numbers are less valid.
Of course they're less valid, that's a direct result of the methodology. Non ill people come on, ill people are not being tested. Also the capacity problems are being called into question by numerous microbiologists and professors of epidemiology, did you read the articles?

My problem is this, let's say containment is not possible, there are still many, probably tens (hundred?) of thousands of people at home with a cough and possibly a fever. I'm one of them. They could be tested, the capacity is there to upscale, but they're not, so they have no clue as to the severity of the situation, and most likely will go outside and certainly their family members as long as they're not certain. At the same time as a result of the severe under testing we get told that "only 4000" people have Corona, which is an astronomically small chance to get infected if you go outside. More accurate numbers will get people off the streets as well.

This is a choice based on money and because the RIVM is extremely sure they know better than the WHO. They have a reason to be arrogant of course, but still. Even the UK upscaled their testing immensely. But the country with the highest percentage of microbiologists keeps sitting on its hands.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just a reminder people like this exist and are probably in positions of power (this guy thankfully is just some random CA Attorney)

twitter.com

Scott A McMillan on Twitter

“@eugenegu @realDonaldTrump The fundamental problem is whether we are going to tank the entire economy to save 2.5% of the population which is (1) generally expensive to maintain, and (2) not productive.”

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My first time watching Cuomo and its amazi
What are you insinuating? Is herd immunity a bad word now?

Herd immunity without a vaccine is basically saying you are willing to let a certain number of people die to get to it. But it seems like at least the Netherlands are doing some measures to reduce the numbers of infected. If you try the speed run option of herd immunity you end up with many dead because your healthcare system is not able to provide the level of care needed.

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
My opinion is that doesn't not make up for lack of due diligence on the front end of things.

China has no fault in this.

They informed the world in early January.
That was before the virus left China.

The problems Europe and the US and other parts of the world are facing now have nothing to do with Chinas actions and everything to do with a lack of preparation and other kinds of mistakes on their part.

Obviously China was secretive about the outbreak in their country as long as the thought they could contain it somewhat.
As soon as they realized that containment won't work anymore they informed the world.
That's not ideal but the warning came early enough.

The world had months to prepare, but didn't.
We had months to ramp up supply chains, increase hospital capacities, educate the populations about measures and eventual shutdowns, organize international containment and tracking efforts and most importantly implement a robust testing infrastructure.

Countless countries failed at these tasks because they didn't take the issue seriously. The consequence will be countless deaths and much more economic damage than necessary.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What are you insinuating? Is herd immunity a bad word now?

As I understand herd immunity is good, when you have a vaccine. As the video says we don't know many things about the virus yet to know how much percent of population is needed or how much lasts the inmune period to be actually effective.

Is just a way to keep a country's economy running at the expense of thousands and thousands of people dying. I'm glad my country did the lockdown to protect as many ppl lives as possible even if our economy takes a huge hit.

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
Just got back. Went to 3 different stores for TP. All sold out (2 Walgreens and 1 CVS). I finally stopped at a gas station and they had some, thank god.

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
My first time watching Cuomo and its amazi

Herd immunity without a vaccine is basically saying you are willing to let a certain number of people die to get to it
Herd immunity is fine. But herd immunity as your plan to deal with a pandemic is the dumbest strategy. In fact, it's so dumb that it probably shouldn't even be considered a strategy.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Austin Texas. Northish area.
Oh wow, I have family there. I'll rally this info to them. Btw, do you have a solid network of people in your city? My apartment neighbors and I have set up a "bounty" that we communicate via group chat to reduce bouncing from store to store (thus reducing our odds of contact). Example being "couldn't find flour at (store) ... bounty for anybody who grabs some on their next grocery run".

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just a reminder people like this exist and are probably in positions of power (this guy thankfully is just some random CA Attorney)

twitter.com

Scott A McMillan on Twitter

“@eugenegu @realDonaldTrump The fundamental problem is whether we are going to tank the entire economy to save 2.5% of the population which is (1) generally expensive to maintain, and (2) not productive.”

This seem to be more and more popular view in Wall Street, and Wall Street got the ear of a large chunk of our political system.

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
Oh wow, I have family there. I'll rally this info to them. Btw, do you have a solid network of people in your city? My apartment neighbors and I have set up a "bounty" that we communicate via group chat to reduce bouncing from store to store (thus reducing our odds of contact). Example being "couldn't find flour at (store) ... bounty for anybody who grabs some of their next grocery run".

I dont unfortunately. Ive been looking at the austin subreddit as they keep a good track of what groceries stores are looking like. They mostly report that TP is gone within the first few hours of store opening.

Min

Oct 25, 2017
Herd immunity is fine. But herd immunity as your plan to deal with a pandemic is the dumbest strategy. In fact, it's so dumb that it probably shouldn't even be considered a strategy.

The other issue is that THIS IS NOT HERD IMMUNITY IT'S JUST IMMUNITY.....

Herd immunity is when enough people in the population are immune to confer immunity to those who are not immune, i.e. babies, elderly, immunocompromised. HIT (Herd immunity threshold) also varies based on the R0 of a disease. In this pandemic strategy, immunity and herd immunity is being interchanged. They're just saying let's get enough people sick that they can recover and return to work. They're not thinking about herd immunity. They just want people to have adaptive immunity.

Kodoku

Sep 20, 2019
Can people, when talking about their experience, like at the store, at least give a location. Makes it easier, so we don't have to keep asking people, where.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Herd immunity only works when a significant majority of the population is, you know... immune.

Not the case here, obviously. How is this even in the conversation when it comes to COVID?

Niks

Oct 25, 2017
700+ cases in Chile, one new death that was confirmed after the official number was "updated" in a pandemonium of a local authority and the central government.

Curfew was set yesterday from 22 PM to 5AM, some journalists claimed that the decision was because wealthy fucks going out to party in the middle of the pandemic.

However, due to delays in transportation, subway and buses were flooded with workers.

This country is going to a hole thanks to incompetence.

Here in Colombia we are at 200+ cases and we are already on total lockdown.
WTH chile?

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Since it seems that now in Italy companies can stay open until Wednesday to organize WFH and to close any ongoing matter, our company will do exactly that, working until the last possible second. I can't even blame the boss for this decision, it's anybody's call when we're gonna open up again. April 6th like intended? Another 2 weeks later? A month later? In June? Seems logical to try and get as much shit done as we can and then just see what happens. Keep in mind we produce stuff so the amount of things we can do from home is negligible.