• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
It is all in the maths of the video. There can be 14.000 ICU units with breathing assistance freed and based on these numbers there can be 40.000cases/day (with 2000 cases needing ICU).
Also the Bund is doubling the capacity to free even more beds with Breathing assistance. STOP SAYING THE INFO IS WRONG! I provide sources, math and everything. You guys try to debunk it with literally 0 sources or facts.

WTF are you on? I just asked a very simple question.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
And that's the worst thing about trying strategies on this virus, by the time you learn that the strategy doesn't work it's already too late to do anything other than damage control. And the biggest impact takes around 2 weeks or more.
Which is why coming down as hard and fast as possible and then loosening up was always the best strategy. Pity that.

Orbis

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Is all the herd immunity talk even proven? Are we really immune once we had the virus?
Assuming you recover you should have some sort of immunity as with basically all illnesses, the question is really how long does that last. People will cite a couple of articles about a handful of reinfections but the sample size is small so impossible to draw any conclusions.

Gorgosh

Oct 26, 2017
The portion of infected people requiring intensive care in Italy is far higher.
He forgot a 0. With 40.000 infections/day and a 5% ICU need there would be 2000 new ICU patients per day. German healthcare COULD handle that. It are numbers, with facts behind them. Stop claiming otherwise, you are literally spreading misinformation with 0 sources or facts.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
We only know enough to say that flattening the curve is the safest option. We don't know how immunity will pan out, we don't know about mutations, but we DO know that speed running it will get *more* people killed.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Why the hell is always black and white in here? People are discussing possible alternatives and a way out, what the fuck do you think it's going to happen to most countries if economy stops? How will you pay pensions to the eldery that worked all their lives? How will you feed kids and eldery?

This sort of questions need an answer, i'm pretty sure most of us have loved ones in risk groups but we need a medium term solution asap. I would like to know what sort of job/life most of the people talking like that have, so they can go: "we need to stay locked inside for 4/5 months, anyone else that thinks the opposite, just care about money". It's not just care about money, it's fucking taking care of our kids too. I'm working for home for 2 weeks now, i was the first in my company but i want to know what happens next because surely i can't feed my kid with paint from the walls....
There's no reason at all things like food and housing need to cost money.

We're at a turning point here. A single virus can essentially stop our society in it's tracks as if it were nothing. We can either continue on our current path, to the point that we put millions of lives at risk, and try to return to the old normal (only to have it fall apart again the next time there is a pandemic). Or we can change.

Gorgosh

Oct 26, 2017
WTF are you on? I just asked a very simple question.
People in this thread are attacking me for two pages now, without sources, facts or anything. I provide videos/links and facts for every one of my claims. I am just kinda agitated, because you can't have a discussion like this.
The video exactly says how many ICU beds can be freed and has very sound and good math behind it.

Naru

May 11, 2019
It's insane to me that the herd immunity "strategy" is even gaining traction as much as it did in recent days.
What do you mean it's gaining traction? It was always there, maybe not for Italy as a whole but certainly for Germany and other countries. I honestly believe the current drastic measures are just to show the people they are doing something, that they care. They will keep this up for two weeks then tell us it slowed down and lift it. The told us right from the start "a lot of your loved ones are going to die". How more plainly can you say it.

Also you CAN NOT look at Germany's ICU situation and ignore the fact that many ICU stations haven't been used for years because we just don't have the caregivers, properly educated nurses etc. to keep them running. In 2019 we already had almost 100k less caregivers in hospitals than we needed. That is just for hospitals...

Last edited:

Deleted member 15311

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's no reason at all things like food and housing need to cost money.

We're at a turning point here. A single virus can essentially stop our society in it's tracks as if it were nothing. We can either continue on our current path, to the point that we put millions of lives at risk, and try to return to the old normal (only to have it fall apart again the next time there is a pandemic). Or we can change.
You and i both know, it won't happen. The housing need to be paid, how would go on about it. Actually my life depends on the construction market, me and thousands like me. I agree that we need to shift our alignment and focus on avoid this sort of situation again, but it has to be something in the middle.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
The problem is that you need to to keep the curve down enough to keep the healthcare system alive. As germany has a really good system it could be possible to open schools again and have it spread through the non risk groups to achieve some base immunity before letting risk groups out of the lockdown.
Yeah, it means keeping the nursing homes closed and the likes. Belgium is number two behind Germany in terms of ICU beds, so we could also handle it supposing that nursing homes and other risk groups stay locked off.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
What do you mean it's gaining traction? It was always there, maybe not for Italy as a whole but certainly for Germany and other countries. I honestly believe the current drastic measures are just to show the people they are doing something, that they care. They will keep this up for two weeks then tell us it slowed down and lift it. The told us right from the start "a lot of your loved ones are going to die". How more plainly can you say it.

It won't peak in two weeks anywhere. What it might slow down is the daily increase rate in some countries but it will still grow a lot.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Unless you're a child there is no truly non-risk group in an overloaded system
21173.png
I don´t think it makes sense to only focus on the age here when we talk about risk groups (i also wouldn´t lump 20 year olds and 44 year olds together). It should be age and pre existing conditions. If you´re a healthy 30 year old you have pretty much nothing to fear. That already looks very different for a morbidly obese 30 ear old with high blood pressure.

Kikujiro

Oct 27, 2017
The main problem with partial lockdown is how inconsiderate are the non risk groups towards the others.

You can do a partial lockdown while taking important measures and I'm sure every country is already looking at what to do after flattening the curve, that is why here in the West we need to change a lot of societal behaviors and by change I mean we need to impose them, like at some point everybody who goes out needs to wear a mask, like they are already doing in China or South Korea.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Is all the herd immunity talk even proven? Are we really immune once we had the virus?
Yes.

But for how long we don't know.

And the virus can mutate in to multiple strains, which we would not be immune to.

UK government scientific advisers expect COVID-19 to turn in to an annual/seasonal virus (like flu), mutating in to multiple strains. ICU capacity is going to need to massively expand around the world permanently, although once we know more about the virus and its potential future derivatives, we will be better equipped with the knowledge and experience to treat it more successfully, and hopefully vaccinate where possible.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
People will cite a couple of articles about a handful of reinfections but the sample size is small so impossible to draw any conclusions.
Even if the reports are a genuine freak occurrence instead of something more likely like a flare-up or a false negative the chance seems to be so astronomically low that it would never make a difference long-term

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
You can do a partial lockdown while taking important measures and I'm sure every country is already looking at what to do after flattening the curve, that is why here in the West we need to change a lot of societal behaviors and by change I mean we need to impose them, like at some point everybody who goes out needs to wear a mask, like they are already doing in China or South Korea.

After the authorities in the West insisted that the masks are not useful it will take a lot of convincing to do to impose them. Also a lot of mask supplies.

xfactor99

Oct 28, 2017
I don´t think it makes sense to only focus on the age here when we talk about risk groups (i also wouldn´t lump 20 year olds and 44 year olds together). It should be age and pre existing conditions. If you´re a healthy 30 year old you have pretty much nothing to fear. That already looks very different for a morbidly obese 30 ear old with high blood pressure.

This isn't entirely true, I've seen enough news stories by now of people under 40 dying even though they had no preexisting health conditions, while their partner only had a 'mild flu'. Genetics may play a role

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
We only know enough to say that flattening the curve is the safest option. We don't know how immunity will pan out, we don't know about mutations, but we DO know that speed running it will get *more* people killed.
Exactly. Herd immunity isn't the main goal; it's a welcome by product if it's indeed possible to attain. (we don't know yet.) The main goal is to relieve hospitals on a manageable level until a vaccine is mass produced.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
After the authorities in the West insisted that the masks are not useful it will take a lot of convincing to do to impose them. Also a lot of mask supplies.
We definitely need to up mask usage in the west. Hopefully shortages will end soon, as China and other countries are producing them at record quantities.

I don't think it will be hard to convince people to wear them once masks are readily available everywhere. Just tell people they can't enter a shop or a bus without wearing a mask and usage will instantly skyrocket.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
We definitely need to up mask usage in the west. Hopefully shortages will end soon, as China and other countries are producing them at record quantities.

I don't think it will be hard to convince people to wear them once masks are readily available everywhere. Just tell people they can't enter a shop or a bus without wearing a mask and usage will instantly skyrocket.
Let's be honest, how many people are wearing bycicle helmets? Those things are a lot more usefuls than masks, and we aren't good at wearing them either.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
Infected we know of. In reality the number of infected is way way higher which means that the percentage of people who need hospitalization is lower.

If you completely ignore the percentages and look at the absolute numbers we already see Italy, Spain and France with a number of hospitalisations and especially in intensive care that are close to or even over capacity in some regions. And more countries will follow, US already has NY, UK is on a worse trend and so on.

So you can play with hypothetical percentages as much as you want but if you apply an even much lower percentage to 60-70% of the population of a country it paints a hell if it happens too quickly.

Apr 17, 2019
Viridia

Also you CAN NOT look at Germany's ICU situation and ignore the fact that many ICU stations haven't been used for years because we just don't have the caregivers, properly educated nurses etc.

Okay let me start this from the top.
My understanding of the "pursuing herd immunity strategy" was that the Government will NOT impose any kind of work hrs reduction, travel restriction, shutting down of any kind to contain the spread of the virus. The GOAL becomes letting the virus spread as fast and wide as possible rampantly so the majority of citizen will contract it, survive it and THEN hope they develop natural immunity to the virus. The dead along the road be damned, at least this way everyone will resume life as normal and get the economy running again ASAP.

Now, based on your reply are you saying this is the official strategy of Germany and other countries?
It doesn't seem that way to me because from my understanding if there are any kind of containment measures in place then BY DEFAULT they are not pursuing this "herd immunity" strategy. Reading the news on Germany's side this reads like it's just something they hope to happen in the far future (maybe >2years) after the worst came to pass so as to minimize chances of a second outbreak.

Do cmiiw.
Herd immunity = long term goal, either via vaccine or natural spread. NOT an excuse to do nothing and watch people die.
Ideally in the meantime everyone does their best to contain the spread and not overload the system.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
He forgot a 0. With 40.000 infections/day and a 5% ICU need there would be 2000 new ICU patients per day. German healthcare COULD handle that. It are numbers, with facts behind them. Stop claiming otherwise, you are literally spreading misinformation with 0 sources or facts.
If you look at the data 10% of infected need hospitalization. Of that 5% need ICU/Ventilator support.
Okay, here I have two people telling me completely different things.

Considering the CFR estimates, a 0.5% rate of ICU care would be ludicrous.

LastCaress

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
If you completely ignore the percentages and look at the absolute numbers we already see Italy, Spain and France with a number of hospitalisation and especially intensive care that are close to or even over capacity in some regions. And more countries will follow, US already has NY, UK is on a worse trend and so on.

So you can play with hypothetical percentages as much as you want but if you apply an even much lower percentage to 60-70% of the population of a country it paints a hell if it happens too quickly.
Yeah, the true number of people that are positive for corona is definitely higher that the numbers we have , which does bring the hospitalization of infected way down (a really significant portion of the population is asymptomatic) - however that 10% is still valid because it's in relation to the numbers we have. If hospitalization is "only" needed for 1% of the actual infected people, but the actual infected people is 10x higher than the numbers we have, we're still fucked.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017

The CFR is lower for Germany because testing is casting a wider net. Until a better test is in place, any estimates around the CFR are blind guesses if comparing across countries.

Naru

May 11, 2019
Now, based on your reply are you saying this is the official strategy of Germany and other countries?
It doesn't seem that way to me because from my understanding if there are any kind of containment measures in place then BY DEFAULT they are not pursuing this "herd immunity" strategy. Reading the news on Germany's side this reads like it's just something they hope to happen in the far future (maybe >2years) after the worst came to pass so as to minimize chances of a second outbreak.
No no, this is my personal believe. Call it a conspiracy theory if you will. We will know in around 14 days. I am saying this because I fear they will see this as necessary to keep the economy going. I felt that in the beginning that was what they were going for, like the UK and Sweden, Denmark etc.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
"Herd immunity" and the 60-70% infection rates are not a goal. They are something that is assumed will happen eventually.
It is a goal, not every government is open about it, but some are, e.g. UK and Netherlands have both stated as much.
www.nationalgeographic.com

The U.K. backed off on herd immunity. To beat COVID-19, we’ll ultimately need it.

Widespread immunity is essential for a successful vaccine, but establishing it could be difficult for the new coronavirus.

Retsudo

Oct 28, 2017
40000 new infections per day means around 200 patients that need ventilation support a day. That means technically germany could survive 170 days with that rate if we're assuming around 35k ventilators.

What about medical professionals? You can't just order them from factories like you can ventilators, masks, etc. You can have all the resources in the world, if you lack medical professionals you're shit out of luck.

Gorgosh

Oct 26, 2017

CFR in germany is like 0.25%
I base my claims on the linked video, where he did the math with ~5% ICU.
Xando takes the currently real numbers from Germany. Both numbers/facts show that Germany can "handle" 40.000 new infections per day.
Also we are taking ICU patients from France into our border-near hospitals, that also shows that we still seem to have enough capacity in most states.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
It is a goal, not every government is open about it, but some are, e.g. UK and Netherlands have both stated as much.

The U.K. backed off on herd immunity. To beat COVID-19, we’ll ultimately need it.

Widespread immunity is essential for a successful vaccine, but establishing it could be difficult for the new coronavirus.
No it's not.

https://www.nu.nl/coronavirus/6038609/rutte-verduidelijkt-groepsimmuniteit-is-niet-het-doel.amp

Deleted member 48991

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2018

It seems that "herd immunity strategy" is often misinterpreted as the straw man "do nothing at all about it". Both the UK and The Netherlands were and are introducing measures to control the spread.

Znazzy

Aug 27, 2018
Well I've definitely started to freak out and trying to stay calm. My fiancé complained about body aches yesterday, and he repeatedly took his temperature and nothing too elevated. Of course right before we were getting ready to go to bed, he took it and it was 100.7. No chest tightness, trouble breathing, or coughing though. We slept in separate bedrooms in case it is COVID-19 (though if it is, I'm sure I have it by now) and I just went to check on him. Said he still feels aches (albeit better than yesterday), and still no coughing or trouble breathing. He wants to rest a bit longer and we're going to take his temp again and go from there. Really hoping this isn't coronavirus, but I'm more than paranoid at this point.

Nov 9, 2017
City of Dallas just issued a shelter in place order. For those already under such an order, are telecommunication companies generally exempt? I work finance at a telecommunication company who can't work from home for various reasons

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
Ok then Germany can test the herd immunity thing if everything is so perfect there. Take one for the rest of the world.

Of course the rest of the world must close the borders for German citizens until that is reached.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Ok then Germany can test the herd immunity thing if everything is so perfect there. Take one for the rest of the world.

Of course the rest of the world must close the borders for German citizens until that is reached.
Not sure what your problem is. Considering a vaccine is 12-18 months away the only way to start some kind of public life again is to achieve some base immunity.

Good luck trying to keep 300 million people in quarantine for a year.

That's not saying you should just let it run like crazy like the UK tried but the best way to achieve it is to lift lockdowns partially.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Great to see that 95 year old woman recovering in Italy. She didnt cant any special treatment also.
Its a small thing. But its something positive .

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
If you completely ignore the percentages and look at the absolute numbers we already see Italy, Spain and France with a number of hospitalisations and especially in intensive care that are close to or even over capacity in some regions. And more countries will follow, US already has NY, UK is on a worse trend and so on.

The healthcare systems will still get overwhelmed if too many people at the same time get infected, that´s right. But the overall picture isn´t quite as grim as a 10% hospitalization quote would suggest.