• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
My wife's grandfather is in hospice care and could die at any moment. We won't be able to visit him and there will be no funeral because of what's going on. All of this is just fucking awful.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
I've been checking back with my family in Puerto Rico. Gotta say, the local government there has had one of the best and swiftest responses to the outbreak. They activated the National Guard, implemented a curfew, are screening all airport arrivals, mandated that all non-essential businesses close down, the police have already performed hundreds of arrests for failure to follow the governor's orders, and they've petitioned the FAA permission to temporarily stop all incoming flights. These are harsh measures, but our island really can't afford anything less at this point.

Similar to Italy, our population is much older than the mainland's, older people tend to be poorer, our healthcare system has a shortage of physicians and ICU beds, and we're still recovering from hurricane Maria.

And thankfully, all of my loved ones are taking the situation very seriously. It also seems that most of the population are on board with the governor's measures. All of this really gives me peace of mind, and I fully expect that we'll see these measures pay dividends in a couple of months.

Henry Hank

Jul 25, 2019
New Zealand has entered full lockdown, everything including schools are shutting and mandatory self isolation for at least 4 weeks. We only have 102 cases and only 2 from community transmission (as we have had a self isolation for returning New Zealanders for a couple of weeks now). Let's hope we can contain it

This is the correct response. Institute extreme measures before it gets really bad, not after. Most of the world is reacting instead of being proactive for short-sighted reasons and it's making this much, much, much worse than it had to be.

Deleted member 48991

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
You know, with the amount of people that probably looked at that speech before he said the words live, I really can't imagine it was just bad communication. I think it is the goal, because there is no alternative. All the back pedalling they've been doing since is just saving their political skin.

It's just that at this point there really isn't any other way to do this. A worldwide full lockdown for a month might do it, but you'll never get every country to cooperate with that.
I think it was a hard message to communicate as the policy is quite flexible. Other countries like France and Italy took extreme measures which are easy to communicate, while the Dutch policy is more reactive. Some light measures, some stricter measures, constant adjustment. Herd immunity was part of the approach, but at the same time they didn't want the virus to spread freely. Many people seem to have ignored the part of "maximally controlled" spread and focused on "creating herd immunity" - looking at how many people went to visit parks and beaches this weekend.

People need to be afraid of this virus and take adequate measures, but at the same time we don't want massive panic. I think the Dutch PM's speech didn't convince enough people to be vigilant about this virus, but personally I'm not sure how he could have improved it. Maybe avoiding the term herd immunity would have helped?

GeoNeo

Oct 26, 2017
New Zealand has entered full lockdown, everything including schools are shutting and mandatory self isolation for at least 4 weeks. We only have 102 cases and only 2 from community transmission (as we have had a self isolation for returning New Zealanders for a couple of weeks now). Let's hope we can contain it

Amazing response. Kiwi's should be proud of their government.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
So 2 babies here in South Carolina, within a few days of each other, have gone into respiratory failure with this virus.

Wasn't expecting that with everything we've heard/what I've seen here.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
So 2 babies here in South Carolina, within a few days of each other, have gone into respiratory failure with this virus.

That is heartbreaking. It just seems like some people are just genetically predisposed to getting hit really hard by this virus?

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if this is the right thread to ask this, but I have a pretty intense headache and have loss my sense of smell. Given that I'm already self-quarantining and the symptoms aren't that severe, should I even bother getting tested? (I live in NY state but not the city if that makes a difference).

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Not sure if this is the right thread to ask this, but I have a pretty intense headache and have loss my sense of smell. Given that I'm already self-quarantining and the symptoms aren't that severe, should I even bother getting tested? (I live in NY state but not the city if that makes a difference).

Edit: sorry, I was mistaken.

Last edited:

elty

Oct 31, 2017

Any source? I google south carolina baby coronavirus and I only got a case about a 7 months old, but did not mention anything serious.

elty

Oct 31, 2017
Headaches and losing sense of smell are not I don't believe symptoms of covid-19

Losing sense of smell is a symptom presented ~30% cases. This is actually higher than shortness of breath (~20%).

www.nytimes.com

Lost Sense of Smell May Be Peculiar Clue to Coronavirus Infection (Published 2020)

Doctor groups are recommending testing and isolation for people who lose their ability to smell and taste, even if they have no other symptoms.

Tlaloc

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
my city just reported its first covid death 80 year old woman with history of underlying conditions. 39 confirmed cases 1 death, San Antonio and community spread has already been confirmed.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ugh, so is there any general recommendation as to what time I should be going to the grocery store? I tried going on Friday night to stock up on some things for the next month, but it was a wasteland. Anything of nutritional substance was long gone.

I'm guessing first thing in the morning?

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, so is there any general recommendation as to what time I should be going to the grocery store? I tried going on Friday night to stock up on some things for the next month, but it was a wasteland. Anything of nutritional substance was long gone.

If you're looking for stuff like TP or disinfectant wipes, go early before it opens. It'll be crowded, but its your best shot.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
You should call your doctor and let them know. They will tell you to isolate and monitor your symptoms.

It's unlikely they would even be able to test you right now. Tests are being rationed mostly to people who end up in the hospital or had direct contact with a known positive.

Headaches and losing sense of smell are not I don't believe symptoms of covid-19
Those are symptoms.

elty

Oct 31, 2017

Probably either early morning or before noon on weekdays. Friday night and weekend is probably the worst time.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017

You should check with your local stores. Your local reddit might have more info. If you do go early, give older folks a chance to get their stuff (about 1:30 after opening).

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

illrated

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
2 cases of High School students here in San Luis Obispo county, California. I haven't seen many cases of below 18 years old yet.

SolarPowered

Oct 28, 2017
Been following a different tracker than NPR (ncov2019) and US has just hit 35k cases. I tend to count the daily totals by around 11PM, so that would mean we've had an increase of 10k in a single day sine yesterday was about 25k. NY has just now surpassed France in number of reported cases as well. Fully expecting NY to surpass Iran by Monday night and Spain by Tuesday.

Shit is wild

Downhome

Oct 27, 2017
So almost 10,000 new cases today in the US.

Am I crazy for thinking that after cooking up Coronavirus soup on the beaches over spring break that we are about to have those idiots dispersed across the nation delivering the virus to God knows how many people now? This could end up being one of the biggest mistakes of all time. Idiots.

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017

Am I crazy for thinking that after cooking up Coronavirus soup on the beaches over spring break that we are about to have those idiots dispersed across the nation delivering the virus to God knows how many people now? This could end up being one of the biggest mistakes of all time. Idiots.

the biggest mistake was on January when the US government didn't do anything, they only had to look at what was happening in other countries , plus they had the CDC

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
Since we've been talking about losing smell/taste, the first nba player diagnosed with covid-19 seems to have that symptom:

Vestal

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa FL
It's Fox so grain of salt and all..

A man with coronavirus who works in LA says the drug used to treat malaria saved his life

"I was at the point where I was barely able to speak and breathing was very challenging. I really thought my end was there. I had been through nine days of solid pain and for me, the end was there. So I made some calls to say in my own way goodbye to my friends and family." A dear friend immediately sent him a recent article about hydroxychloroquine, an old anti-malaria medicine proven successful to treat COVID-19 patients overseas, and insisted he take the drug.

So, Giardinieri reached out to an infectious disease doctor. "He gave me all the reasons why I would probably not want to try it because there are no trials, there's no testing, it was not something that was approved. And I said look I don't know if I'm going to make it until the morning because at that point I really thought I was coming to the end because I couldn't breathe anymore. He agreed and authorized the use of it and 30 minutes later the nurse gave it to me.

RELATED: CoronavirusNOW.com, FOX launches national hub for COVID-19 news and updates.

"An hour after an IV with the medicine, he says his heart felt like it was beating out of his chest. "They had to come in and get me calmed down and take care of me. I had another episode about two hours later where I just got to the point where I couldn't breathe and my heart was pounding again so they gave me some Benadryl through the system and something else. I'm not sure what it was. It allowed me to go to sleep and when I woke up at exactly 4:45 in the morning, I woke up like nothing ever happened."Miraculously, he's since had no fever or pain, feels fine and he's able to breathe again.

Giardinieri says doctors now believe those episodes were not a reaction to the medicine but the virus progressing in his body. "To me, there was no doubt in mind that I wouldn't make it until morning," says Giardinieri. "So to me the drug saved my life."

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
So if you're hospitalized, besides a ventilator, they don't do anything since they've no idea what is effective against it? They just hope your immune system is able to fight it off?

Oct 27, 2017

And the thing is, a lot of those people aren't even being tested yet. The increases in numbers right now are from access to tests in the already-confirmed hotspots.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
2 cases of High School students here in San Luis Obispo county, California. I haven't seen many cases of below 18 years old yet.

I have no idea how the testing works here in Kentucky because an 8-month old and a 6 year old have tested positive for it.

It's not like testing is everywhere here yet, only 1571 people have been tested

D23

Oct 25, 2017
We just found out my in-laws is tested positive for coronavirus. They took the test a few days ago and was just notified by the hospital . My father in laws is in his 80s, he almost die to pneumonia last year. He has been experiencing shortness of breath and had to go to the ER earlier today. They released him before they got the results back...
. iam just trying to console my wife right now. We are in self quarantine because we just saw her brother who lives with the in laws 2 days ago. Im extremely worried...but will hope they'll get through this.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
So if you're hospitalized, besides a ventilator, they don't do anything since they've no idea what is effective against it? They just hope your immune system is able to fight it off?
They provide supportive care to try to manage the symptoms as best as possible.

But there is no known effective treatment for the virus itself. Your body will either overcome it or succumb to it.

SolarPowered

Oct 28, 2017

Not postponing the Florida democratic primary certainly didn't help matters either.

Oct 27, 2017
Over a thousand reported tests here in IN, a little over 200 are actually infected. I'm aware that some are claiming the U.S. isn't doing enough testing but I mean, 800+ tests that have came back negative in my state helps me feel somewhat confident in the reported numbers. About 6 deaths last time I checked. All of them reportedly over the age of 50 and had comorbidities.

Focusing on a local level has done wonders for my sanity. There is an app where you can chat with a doctor or nurse at anytime I believe, for free and our local labs are running the test and are refusing to take payment for doing so. I'm also doubtful for the apocalypse some think is coming for the U.S. Places like N.Y. where you come in contact with hundreds of people on the way to work will obviously be hit harder than places like here where people are more spread out, no is visiting our corn fields and using public transit is fairly uncommon.

If you are more fortunate like I am to not live in a densely crowded place right now and you are coming in here living in a state of panic like I was for awhile. I definitely recommend breaking away from here and following more local news that's more likely to directly impact you.