• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

xplatformer

Oct 30, 2017
Los Angeles
Essentially, yes. No parent should see this case and suddenly get more anxious. The level of risk is really very very low.

My friend whose studying to be a nurse told me there is a gland in the human body that is better at "learning" how to fight viruses when the body is young, but it's ability to do so later in life isn't as strong.

Not sure how true that is, but I do know that youth are less likely to have pre-existing conditions that could lead to health complications than the elderly.

Myself as an example.

I take medication for high blood pressure and type 2 diabetes. When I was young I suffered from bad asthma (it's weird because the year I moved from Virginia to California I no longer experienced serious breathing problems until I got in my late 40s).

I'm 52...so I need to be careful. If I was obese I'd even be super worried about my chances of surviving this.

Even if I was 14 and had asthma I'd worry less than I would at my current age.

Oct 25, 2017
Coastal Washington towns closing hotels and beach access due to everyone thinking its time for a vacation.

43da5e92e8b6579f034a4b31ae21d7e32290a4d6.jpg

ca6e16192c8df4b1ded399ce7c71a472277d7276.jpg
Who are these people going to the coast in March when it's 40s and raining lol

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I help sell cars, so we're currently trying to clarify if "auto supply" covers salesman or not. We may be forced to stay home and vehicle service and repair remain open, however. People need transportation, but they may determine that the solution is just to fix what they have, not sell 'em something new.

Are banks even going to approve auto loans now? The economy is literally crashing before our eyes with no end in sight, can't imagine any loans going out right now

xplatformer

Oct 30, 2017
Los Angeles
I really hope that stay at home order doesnt happen to texas becaues it will bankrupt my company and i'll lose my job and wont know what to do as i dont have any other options at the moment and wouldn't be able to afford my apartment

I REALLY hope that doesn't come to pass (losing your job) but for the good of our WORLD, and our future children...the strain needs to be taken off our health care system. If you can think of a viable alternative I'd support it 100%. I haven't seen anyone provide a viable alternative to stay at home.

What we need to do is make sure our government provides support for people like you in this time of need.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I've seen a few articles, but not seen anything conclusive. Does anyone know what the latest thinking on whether people have any immunity after recovering? Either partial or temporary? Thinking that one of the upsides of catching it early is that after I have recovered I can help out neighbours and friends with shopping etc without putting myself at further risk (even though hygiene is still important for not passing it around other people etc).

Edit: and is there a test for whether you've had it, not just whether you have it? Right now medical advise for people with minor symptoms here is just to self isolate, and they are only testing people with more serious symptoms. Would be good to know for sure at some point.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

ArcGIS Dashboards

ArcGIS Dashboards

Only about 10k tests so far.
Yep. Desantis strategy seems to have been "see no evil, know no evil".
I've seen a few articles, but not seen anything conclusive. Does anyone know what the latest thinking on whether people have any immunity after recovering? Either partial or temporary? Thinking that one of the upsides of catching it early is that after I have recovered I can help out neighbours and friends with shopping etc without putting myself at further risk (even though hygiene is still important for not passing it around other people etc).
90+% likely you're immune after you catch and go through it. Only question is how long that immunity lasts.

ekim

Oct 26, 2017

The virologist here in Germany that is mostly quoted for his opinion (Drosten) mentioned that you are immune after recovering. It was tested with apes.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Another case of Hydroxychloroquine saving a patients life. I really hope this pans out as an effective treatment, but it irks me how the MAGA crowd are already giving Trump any and all credit for its success.

www.forbes.com

This Coronavirus Patient Dodged A Bullet With Hydroxychloroquine. Is She A Harbinger Or Outlier?

Margaret Novins is on the leading edge of a real-time experiment to see what works for COVID-19.

Stop spreading this nonsense about Chloroquine as a wonder drug. Seriously. We need to clamp down on this hard.

These fucking articles are full of inaccuracies and half-truths. Every single patient here gets chloroquine. It's absolutely routine right now in COVID care and even in the best case scenario it delays the progression a fraction, but even that is on shaky grounds. It's not a case of being a 'responder' or not.

Garbage articles like this are going to lead to people hoarding, buying up stock, black market trading, etcetera. It's maddening to read.

BFIB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So to lighten up the convo a bit, what are you doing to pass the time in quarantine?

Me, I'm taking the opportunity to dig into my Arcade 1Ups.

15knkXC.jpg

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
Was too paranoid to work so I got a test done. It's probably nothing but my mind is getting to me

Jashobeam

Oct 27, 2017
not a medical expert here and probably a dumb question but can anything be learned from people who have it but show no symptoms? Like from their eating, sleeping habits or exercise routines? Or is it just luck, good genes, top tier immune system?

Just wondering if there might be some commonality among the asymptomatic. From what i've seen of the virus and how effective it is at fucking up your cells and immune system, it's a miracle to me that people come out of it unscathed. Probably why these youngsters think they are superhuman atm

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
36 year old nurse in the UK with no underlying health conditions fighting for her life in critical care right now, apparently she didn't catch it working, was showing symptoms when on annual leave.

How does someone at the age of 36 with no health conditions possibly die from this? Is there a new strand or something?

Worried right now as I am 35 with a heart condition and my partner has no choice but to work because her job will not allow her leave with pay.

Jan 31, 2018
How does everyone feel about ordering takeout?
Strongly in favour as of now, particularly delivery. With proper precautions (like wiping containers down with lysol wipes, washing your hands before you eat, etc.) there's less risk (not zero, just less) than going out to crowded grocery stores. Plus, you're helping out local industries and their employees in their time of need.

Unless the expert advice goes against it, I don't see a huge problem.

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hartford, CT
So to lighten up the convo a bit, what are you doing to pass the time in quarantine?

15knkXC.jpg

Wife and I started sunbathing in our backyard today and will do that regularly now going forward. We ordered a big inflatable pool also akd will just hang out back there with the dog when we are not WFH. It was really relaxing sitting out there playing music and resting.

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017

Edit: and is there a test for whether you've had it, not just whether you have it? Right now medical advise for people with minor symptoms here is just to self isolate, and they are only testing people with more serious symptoms. Would be good to know for sure at some point.
The Korean test mentioned a few pages ago tests for antibodies, so would be what you're looking for.
And if a test can be made for antibodies, it means that, yes, you get some sort of immunity after an infection (provided you recover).
How long that immunity will last is another thing (PROTIP: Novel virus, so nobody knows).

Oct 27, 2017
Did Chinese takeout the other night. Been going to this place for over 20 years. Found out that that night they were closing starting the next day, temporarily because there are less overall customers and they have young children in their family they are concerned about. I hope they will be able to reopen eventually.

4CornersTHSA

Jun 13, 2019
How does everyone feel about ordering takeout?
They need the business.
Sure go for it! Keeps restuarants in business. Order local if you can.

can confirm, it's the only thing keeping me employed at the moment

that being said, I've called the gov and mayor and pleaded to do shelter in place, knowing that puts me out of a job. If we act now we still can get out ahead of this thing. North Carolina needs to follow suit with CA, NY, LA and the rest should do the same.

Dreaver

Oct 27, 2017
We know the virus survives on surfaces or even in the air. But is there any proof people actually got infected in such a way.

aznpxdd

Oct 25, 2017
Been ordering multiple deliveries per day, gotta support local businesses and keep the grocery trips minimum! Only cooking breakfast and for the kid.

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Sorry for the stupid question but is there a risk of contamination through paper? I need some papers printed by my neighbour for my kids.

Juturna

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
36 year old nurse in the UK with no underlying health conditions fighting for her life in critical care right now, apparently she didn't catch it working, was showing symptoms when on annual leave.

How does someone at the age of 36 with no health conditions possibly die from this? Is there a new strand or something?

Worried right now as I am 35 with a heart condition and my partner has no choice but to work because her job will not allow her leave with pay.

It's just statistics, not everyone's bodies react the same, just like with anything else. A certain % of those infected will have a severe response, almost regardless of age.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Been ordering multiple deliveries per day, gotta support local businesses and keep the grocery trips minimum! Only cooking breakfast and for the kid.

I might start doing this as well ... have not eaten out at all since this broke out in earnest, but I've read that it's very hard to catch from food and you can just put whatever your order into the oven for a few minutes at high heat to kill any virus. Going into the grocery store is probably a higher chance of catching something there.

refusi0n1

Oct 27, 2017
What about clothes. Someone telling me that if you go out and say sit on a train the virus can get on your clothes. I've not read anything which suggests this.
Think he answers this early in the vid
youtu.be

Dr. Martin Blaser Answers Coronavirus Questions From Twitter | Tech Support | WIRED

Dr. Martin Blaser, MD, uses the power of Twitter to answer the internet's questions about the coronavirus. When should we expect to see mutations? Does COVID...

hockeypuck

Oct 29, 2017
Source is just being in medicine but they can cause QT prolongation which can lead to a life threatening arrhythmias called torsades. With every medication you weight the small risks against potential benefits but I'm just saying that dont expect every patient to start getting the medications without better data

Also there is even an fda warning against coadninstering plaquenil(hydroxychloroquine) with other qt prolonging drugs
Yep. Permanent vision problems are the more infamous side effect of hydroxychloroquine, but that's after being on the drug for 5 years. Cardiomyopathy and QT prolongation have also been mentioned.

Stop spreading this nonsense about Chloroquine as a wonder drug. Seriously. We need to clamp down on this hard.

These fucking articles are full of inaccuracies and half-truths. Every single patient here gets chloroquine. It's absolutely routine right now in COVID care and even in the best case scenario it delays the progression a fraction, but even that is on shaky grounds. It's not a case of being a 'responder' or not.

Garbage articles like this are going to lead to people hoarding, buying up stock, black market trading, etcetera. It's maddening to read.
In the U.S., the drug can only be hoarded by laypeople if a prescription is written. The onus is on the providers NOT to write prescriptions for each other, their family, friends, etc. I personally know one example of that already occurring, and it saddens me.

Yourfawthaaa

Nov 2, 2017
Bronx, NY

15knkXC.jpg

Started my backlog on steam. i'm new to the Yakuza games so I started with Zero. Loving it so far.

Also thinking about opting in to work from home even though its not mandatory and ill still get paid. The experience would be nice....

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
I might start doing this as well ... have not eaten out at all since this broke out in earnest, but I've read that it's very hard to catch from food and you can just put whatever your order into the oven for a few minutes at high heat to kill any virus. Going into the grocery store is probably a higher chance of catching something there.
I have been staunchly avoiding food I've not prepared myself. However, after 10 of self-isolation to keep from getting (or transmitting) COVID-19, I have been jonesing for Domino's pizza. Putting the pizza boxes in the oven for a few minutes at, what, 175F (or higher, I don't know) would be enough to assuage any concerns I might have.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry for the stupid question but is there a risk of contamination through paper? I need some papers printed by my neighbour for my kids.
I doubt it's a high risk unless it's laminated. Paper is really porous.

Just wash your hands after handling it. You can leave it around for a day or so before using it if you're truly concerned.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have been staunchly avoiding food I've not prepared myself. However, after 10 of self-isolation to keep from getting (or transmitting) COVID-19, I have been jonesing for Domino's pizza. Putting the pizza boxes in the oven for a few minutes at, what, 175F (or higher, I don't know) would be enough to assuage any concerns I might have.

You actually probably have a higher chance of getting COVID19 at the grocery store to be honest.

I read this:

www.seriouseats.com

Food Safety and Coronavirus: A Comprehensive Guide

Questions about COVID-19 and food safety, answered.

Even if a person sneezes on your food (worst case scenario imaginable), it's still very difficult to contract the illness, the virus is likely to be destroyed by your digestive tract.

What you have to worry about is it getting into your respiratory tract.

And heating a pizza in the oven is almost certainly going to kill any virus on it.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017

15knkXC.jpg
Vidya gams. Been playing a bunch of Animal Crossing: New Horizons, and also working on a playthrough of Ori and the Blind Forest.