• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

brochiller

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
From my understanding South Korea is testing the most in the world. I've not heard of NY testing the most.

I saw this on twitter people are praising South Korea for its mass testing.

twitter.com

Erik Solheim on Twitter

“Bravo! South Korea 🇰🇷 has set up ‘phone booths’ that can test people for the coronavirus in just 7 minutes. The country has earned praise for its mass testing amid the Covid19 pandemic. https://t.co/lQ47UPdiaz”

Just as of the last day or two NY is testing more per capita than South Korea.

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People are stockpiling at grocery stores like they're expecting the nukes to fall any minute now.

Shit is annoying. I'm in a shelter in place state yet people can still go out to get food, go grab stuff from Best Buy, and so on. I deliver food through UberEats for some extra cash and people are still ordering like normal... yet I can't go into Trader Joe's to get some basic frozen goodies because it's empty outside of a few things here and there. They have a limit on items here now because people are hoarding.

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017

Kleefeld

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
Source John-Hopkins University
Firefox-Screenshot-2020-03-22-T19-07-31-428-Z.png

ragolliangatan

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 31, 2019
I think worldometers has over reported new york numbers. Cuomo had them at about 15k, not 22k as worldometers does. That would explain the 7k discrepancy.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
There is a dire situation in some french hospitals, nurses are not trained for the ventilators in ICUs, so they increase personnel capacities but very few can handle the hardware.
An ICU nurse is very specialized in France, USA nurses are have a broader scope of operations, they are a little less specialized.
Consequently
difficult information said:
The two hospitals i have links to, and even though they are not yet hit hard, will not conduct reanimation to people over 60 infected by the new Coronavirus, because they have to handle the patients of a wide area, since a lot of local hospital capacity has closed as a measure of costs cut.
The president Macron by the way ordered the main french military hospital to be closed when he started his mandate, to sell the premises at a premium in PAris, it was a symbol of equality, since the base French could be treated in the same hospital as the President at no additional cost (i am still bitter about it).
Mulhouse is in very very very dire situation...

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I definitely do NOT know all the science behind COVID-19, so please forgive my ignorance (and obviously, we're learning more about this novel virus each day). I'm trying to find out more about the difference between this and say, the flu - especially when it comes to finding a vaccine.

So the "disease" itself is "Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19)." As far as we know, it's caused by only the virus "SARS-CoV-2." Influenza on the other hand is caused by multiple different virus strains, which is why we can't pinpoint a 100% effective vaccine for that specific year? So is there any chance we run into this situation with COVID-19 since, as far as we know, it's only caused by SARS-CoV-2?

only thing that this virus has in common with the flu is some of the sympthoms.
not sure i got what you are asking, but if it is if the virus can mutate like the seasonal influenza does, yes it's possible, it's possible with every virus and the more it spreads the higher the chance of a mutation is.

Sep 14, 2019
How are people handling regular medical things right now? I've got a painful lump next to my ear all of a sudden and normally I'd get that checked out but now I'm wondering if I should just leave it. Or do I get it checked out now before everything peaks?

Get checked now (but call your doctor first).

This is why I went to urgent care before things got more crazy.

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Elon Musk said children are "essentially immune".
again, researches show that much more than age, it's the presence of pre-existing health conditions that is the main factor here.
of course old people have an higher chance of having some other illness that puts them at risk, but some children or young adults do too sadly.

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
I had a weird dream last night: an elderly black woman on a rocking chair. It seemed so real.

Anybody else having weird dreams?

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018
I had a weird dream last night: an elderly black woman on a rocking chair. It seemed so real.

Anybody else having weird dreams?

Yep. I had my first nightmare last night which I'm pretty damn sure is related to this. It's our brain's way to cope with highly stressful situations, and pretty normal for most people who still haven't adapted to what's becoming the new normal.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
So I definitely do NOT know all the science behind COVID-19, so please forgive my ignorance (and obviously, we're learning more about this novel virus each day). I'm trying to find out more about the difference between this and say, the flu - especially when it comes to finding a vaccine.

So the "disease" itself is "Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19)." As far as we know, it's caused by only the virus "SARS-CoV-2." Influenza on the other hand is caused by multiple different virus strains, which is why we can't pinpoint a 100% effective vaccine for that specific year? So is there any chance we run into this situation with COVID-19 since, as far as we know, it's only caused by SARS-CoV-2?

There's multiple strains of Coronaviruses as well, most are specific to animals, however there are seven strains that can infect humans. Most cause symptoms similar to the common cold and aren't that bad, all things considered.

The three major ones though are SARS-CoV, MERS-CoV and SARS-Cov-2. All three of these viruses have reached epidemic (SARS/MERS) or pandemic (SARS-Cov-2).

The one thing all three of these viruses have in common is that they originated in bats, jumped to a species (Civets in the case of SARS, camels in the case of MERS) and then made the jump to humans. That's why I'm hoping that after this calms down, we're start to put more of a focus on coronaviruses in bat species so that we don't get caught off guard like this when it happens again (which it will).

What makes SARS-Cov-2 so bad is that it's much more virulent then SARS or MERS was, but retains everything that made those viruses so deadly. SARS-CoV-2 is related to SARS-CoV, hence the name, but it isn't a mutated strain of it, it's a new virus.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone

ironichaos

Oct 31, 2017
In California and Oregon, patients are only being tested if (1) they're clearly showing symptoms and (2) they have pre-existing conditions that put them in an at-risk category. Anyone who doesn't meet at least those two criteria will be denied the test and told to simply self-quarantine.

I wouldn't look at the confirmed cases in CA and OR as an accurate count of infected. The only thing we can conclude about the numbers is that they are the count of people who have symptoms + pre-existing conditions + have tested positive. And so we're missing the full spectrum of every-fucking-body else.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
All olympic qualifier events on national level are currently postponed and athlets won't be eager to travel around the world (if they are even allowed to).

There's just no way the olympic games are happening this year.

That and where they can even train now? Olympics are not happening 100%

SSF1991

Jun 19, 2018
Northam said he'll have more news to share about school closures tomorrow as well. i think (hope) he's about to shut shit down.

Yeah, I thnk a shelter-in-place order is very close to happening. The testing has been gradually increasing as well, but I still feel like it's not increasing fast enough.