• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Truthfully there was never any hope of containing it short of the entire world coming to a halt and going on a China style lockdown. It seems likely at this point that the virus was already in multiple countries undetected before we noticed it in Wuhan.
True. However, better early containment, much more testing and tracking of positive cases (rather than pretending they didn't exist), earlier mobilization of protective gear including masks and ventilators etc., would have gone a long way to both flattening the curve and increasing the healthcare system capacity. That might have lessened the need for a total shutdown and all the economic pain that inflicts on everyone who isn't a Republican Senator or their husband.

Bonafide

Oct 11, 2018
Biggest jump in USA's number so far, nearly 7000+ newly reported cases on Saturday alone, and more than the half(3785+) of new cases came from NY because of NY's aggressive testing approach.

UZwcnGR.png

XkXqdoR.png

NY state alone (20 million population) now has more confirmed cases than South Korea(8895 cases/50 million population) today and will suppress France's number(15000 cases/67 million population)tomorrow at this pace .

Kr8ZH2O.png

I expect situation in California,Washington and Florida would be as bad as NY if we conduct enough testings.

thanks for this.

be able to watch how quickly korea rolled out and compared to what the US is doing already gives me nightmares for how bad this is going to get.

elty

Oct 31, 2017
At least 38 people have tested positive for coronavirus in New York City jails, including at the notorious Rikers Island jail complex, the board that oversees the city's jail system said Saturday.

Would they consider freeing the prisoner like Iran did?

www.theguardian.com

Merkel in quarantine; Spain set to extend state of emergency – as it happened

German chancellor in self-isolation after her doctor tests positive for coronavirus; reports say 360 more people have died in Italy; first two cases in Gaza. This blog is now closed.

Feb 1, 2018
I just had to set my boomer parents straight about why they shouldnt be allowing their relatives from iran (en route from turkey) over at the house for dinner. Fucking idiots.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
mRr1ryC.jpg

Best Buy really is out here with probably the best COVID-19 response I've seen. Pay increase for workers that come in, PTO for those feeling sick+those that now need to deal with their kids.

Good showing, makes me happy that I bought my laptop there.

mauaus

Oct 25, 2017
El Salvador on complete lockdown for 30 days, starting now :(
We only have 3 confirmed cases but this feels necessary

Oct 25, 2017
mRr1ryC.jpg

Best Buy really is out here with probably the best COVID-19 response I've seen. Pay increase for workers that come in, PTO for those feeling sick+those that now need to deal with their kids.

Yeah, that's good. I think Apple closed all of their US stores and are paying their employees that are staying home as well.

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty impressed with what Best Buy is doing for their employees, just got this in email.
This is on top of doing curbside delivery (whether you ordered ahead of time or not).

Speaking of our employees, everyone working right now is doing so on a voluntary basis, and all hourly employees who volunteer are receiving a temporary pay increase. Additionally, anyone feeling sick is told to stay home, and they will be paid for that time. Finally, anyone exposed to a confirmed case of COVID-19 is also told to stay home, with pay, and we are paying employees who may need to stay home to care for their children.

Thebox

Dec 26, 2019
mRr1ryC.jpg

I don't even get paid sick leave separate from my eto and I work in a ER. I have to take it from my eto, but if you don't have any eto left you can take a loan from the hospital till unemployment kicks in, 🤣. Fuck this admin.

Lastbroadcast

Jul 6, 2018
Sydney, Australia
Some news coming thick and fast out of Australia in the last few hours. The federal government just announced a second stimulus package worth $160bn.

The NSW and Victorian state governments have also just announced that they will be introducing lockdowns and potential school closures within 48 hours.

SushiReese

Oct 30, 2017
Curious if any other western countries would adapt South Korea/China/Taiwan approach to track down individual's paces to contain the spread. China's model is the most extreme one.
For anybody curious about what China "new normal life" after lock-down is lifted is like right now. This is a vlog from Japanese reporter from Nanjing(outside of Hubei)

Takuhi

Oct 27, 2017
www.cnbc.com

FDA grants 'emergency use' coronavirus test that can deliver results in 45 minutes

Cepheid has received emergency authorization from the Food and Drug Administration to use its rapid molecular test for point-of-care patients that can detect coronavirus in 45 minutes. This is the first coronavirus that can be conducted entirely at the point of care for patients and deliver...

posted? Potential test that will take 45 minutes to get results. This works it could be huge

Or, you know, Trump could have called South Korea a month ago to get access to their tests that take 10 minutes. But AMERICA FIRST!!!

KanameYuuki

Dec 23, 2017
Colombia
Did it ever get this serious for H1N1(2009 flu) too? I was too young to remember how it all went down. Looking at numbers Italy / Spain / France got hit really bad with that one too, same here Colombia so that has me quite worried.

Kendrid

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Some news coming thick and fast out of Australia in the last few hours. The federal government just announced a second stimulus package worth $160bn.

The NSW and Victorian state governments have also just announced that they will be introducing lockdowns and potential school closures within 48 hours.

But my Australian coworkers said it was under control and they didn't have to worry about it.

Putarorex

Sep 16, 2019
Things seem much calmer here in Japan. Given how it is overseas in locations that starting see the virus spread later than Japan, it makes me worried that there are a ton of undocumented cases here and it is much worse than it looks.

The trains are a bit less crowded during my commute, but I still saw a lot of people at the park and a local supermarket this weekend. The supermarket was pretty well stocked as well. It might be becaues I live about 50 minutes away from Tokyo in area with very few reported cases. People were stocking up on toilet paper and instant ramen a couple weeks ago, but that doesn't seem too bad now. The restaurants in Tokyo were still very crowded as well when I went on my lunch break walks last week. My company has people testing out teleworking but they are not going to really go all in unless the government calls for it.

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018
Did it ever get this serious for H1N1(2009 flu) too? I was too young to remember how it all went down. Looking at numbers Italy / Spain / France got hard really bad with that one too, same here Colombia so that has me quite worried.

Not even remotely close. This virus is going to change everything in the short term, for everyone.

Scorch

Oct 28, 2017
California
Dammit here we go again with the rumors of national lockdown. I hate Facebook.
I'm not on Facebook so I'm not seeing the rumors or how they're being phrased, but I do think that route is almost inevitable since we are so behind on testing ramp-up. The number of cases are going to get out of hand very quickly at the current rate, even as more states announce their lockdowns.

Honestly a national lockdown last weekend would have been better so we had more time to buy.

fr0st

Oct 28, 2017
Curious if any other western countries would adapt South Korea/China/Taiwan approach to track down individual's paces to contain the spread. China's model is the most extreme one.
For anybody curious about what China "new normal life" after lock-down is lifted is like right now. This is a vlog from Japanese reporter from Nanjing(outside of Hubei)

Yeah no way this is gonna happen in the west. Especially the data collection part

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017
Did it ever get this serious for H1N1(2009 flu) too? I was too young to remember how it all went down. Looking at numbers Italy / Spain / France got hit really bad with that one too, same here Colombia so that has me quite worried.

you rarely go to the hospital for H1N1

this one looks like at least 10% need some kind of hospitalization

N7Commander01

Jan 2, 2020
Tokyo, Japan
Things seem much calmer here in Japan. Given how it is overseas in locations that starting see the virus spread later than Japan, it makes me worried that there are a ton of undocumented cases here and it is much worse than it looks.

The trains are a bit less crowded during my commute, but I still saw a lot of people at the park and a local supermarket this weekend. The supermarket was pretty well stocked as well. It might be becaues I live about 50 minutes away from Tokyo in area with very few reported cases. People were stocking up on toilet paper and instant ramen a couple weeks ago, but that doesn't seem too bad now. The restaurants in Tokyo were still very crowded as well when I went on my lunch break walks last week. My company has people testing out teleworking but they are not going to really go all in unless the government calls for it.

I live close to Shibuya, and honestly its the same here. Some stuff is limited to one per person, but the shops are full and people are out and about

HTupolev

Oct 27, 2017
Did it ever get this serious for H1N1(2009 flu) too? I was too young to remember how it all went down. Looking at numbers Italy / Spain / France got hard really bad with that one too, same here Colombia so that has me quite worried.
H1N1/09 killed hundreds of thousands, but that was despite completely ineffective containment and the infection of about a billion people.

SARS-COV-2 has killed a much smaller number of people so far, but a vastly higher fraction of cases are severe and require hospitalization. If it infects as many people without super-effective treatment or a vaccine being pushed out, it will be far worse. That's why ultra-aggressive measures are being taken to slow or stop it.

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
mRr1ryC.jpg

I see this model being the future of physical retail, even after the pandemic tbh. covid 19 is reshaping everything, and it will never go back even after the vacine.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia

The city has zero new case for 23 days, and yet everyone still wears a mask, and you can't enter public places without wearing a mask.

I don't think this can be enforced in the West.

Nov 13, 2017

There's a Japanese NYT reporter who has been chasing this story. Basically Japan is covering up their numbers because they're doing everything they can to make the olympics happen.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Starting 3/26, there will be a mandatory 14-day quarantine for all arrivals to Hawaii. Residents may quarantine at home. Tourists will be required to not leave their hotel room or vacation rental unless they are seeking medical care. Tourists are fully responsible for the cost of the quarantine and there is a $5,000 fine and up to a year in jail for noncompliance.
Pretty sure that's illegal as you cannot disrupt interstate travel. Probably won't stand up in court but hopefully it still deters people.

devilhawk

Oct 27, 2017
Biggest jump in USA's number so far, nearly 7000+ newly reported cases on Saturday alone, and more than the half(3785+) of new cases came from NY because of NY's aggressive testing approach.

UZwcnGR.png

XkXqdoR.png

NY state alone (20 million population) now has more confirmed cases than South Korea(8895 cases/50 million population) today and will suppress France's number(15000 cases/67 million population)tomorrow at this pace .

Kr8ZH2O.png

I expect situation in California,Washington and Florida would be as bad as NY if we conduct enough testings.
I'm going to push back on the Washington comparison. Washington is testing nearly 5000 per day and their positive result rate is continuing to drop towards 5%. At that percentage, Washington would need to be testing twice what NY has done in total since the outbreak started just to equal the number of positive cases that NY had today alone.

There are many explanations for why the comparison fails - be it density, population, Seattle starting social distancing earlier, but it really shouldn't be understated how bad things are in NY. And things are definitely not great in Seattle.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
In order to ease up our minds, our boss just sent us a video from David Icke, in which this marvelous genius explains how this whole thing is a ruse from the Illuminati/NWO/Reptilians or whatever, to increase sales in stores, or some bullshit like that.

That's reassuring.

the_bromo_tachi

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Japan

Yeah, everything seems fine and I hope it stays that way. Though the numbers are staying around 40-50 every day. Not really seeing a drop...
According to this map, there aren't that many confirmed cases where I live but I'm still only going out for walks or groceries.
coromap.info

coromap - 新型コロナウイルスの事例マップ

新型コロナウイルスの感染状況をまとめたマップです

scurker

Oct 25, 2017
I see this model being the future of physical retail, even after the pandemic tbh. covid 19 is reshaping everything, and it will never go back even after the vacine.

I think it was already happening, but this will be a catalyst that will make it the norm much, much sooner. It's kind of surprising that it hadn't happened already, especially considering that is is one way for brick and mortar stores to differentiate themselves from online.

greepoman

Oct 26, 2017
You're looking at numbers over a year period. If you divide it 365 it's more like an average of 767 H1n1 deaths per day worldwide. Corona is already killing 1600 per day and that number is exponentially growing.

In less than a week it will probably be 3000+ per day, another week 6000 per day, etc. We're hoping social distancing will help but since most countries just got serious that's probably 2 weeks out. This will be at least an order of magnitude worse even with all the precautions we're taking.