• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Thing is I dont feel like I've done enough... Both myself and my Mum went shopping despite knowing the risks full-well and I didn't take the kind of precautions I really should have done in those initial stages. Like I said, I honestly believe we already have it and I don't know how I'm going to react when it turns out badly for my Mum...

I understand, and it's OK. It's weird because I simultaneously don't trust anyone whilst trusting people too much. If someone says "this is the apocalypse," I will 100% believe them but if someone says something completely rational but positive I won't.

It's very serious, but it is not the apocalypse. Civilization won't crumble, but it will certainly change. This will likely be the single biggest event you have lived through up to this point. If you're taking care of yourself and your family, and focusing on maintaining distance and cleanliness, you are doing exactly what you should be doing.

You should probably restrict your internet use if it's too overwhelming to read about. Play some games, watch some movies, read books, anything else. Relaxation time is more important than ever now for our mental health. None of us can be certain how this shakes out, but we need to adapt longterm ways to cope with what is happening to the world.

Darksol

Oct 28, 2017
Japan
There's 325 million people in the US. If it didn't go above Italy, and anywhere in Europe really, then something is wrong with the count. We're not gonna lockdown like China, either.

So ya, just prepare yourself for big numbers as we test more. Don't panic.

Not panicking. I just like checking the tracker. And agreed—going to go much higher in the near future, especially once availability of tests increases.

Nov 13, 2017
Hello again, everyone! With that, I feel like I need to close Etcetera again after just a day or so.

Whilst I know the situation is serious I honestly can't tell whether people saying about how things are insanely bad if they're being genuine or not. Like in the UK thread there's a post saying things will "likely end in tragedy" for any mothers with Coronavirus. Is that true? Is that going to happen? I just don't know and I hate it.

As for me personally both me and my Mum work in 'essential' jobs so, unless we do get sick, we will have to go to work. I'm honestly considering either quitting my job or lying about it because, in the end, I don't care for doing a 'public service' when mine and my family's health is on the line (I know that's a horrible thing to say but I'm not going to pretend that I'm being virtuous here). However that still leaves my Mum going to work and, more worringly, going shopping still (she went today even despite me asking her not to...). We do have some supplies but not that much and we've got three dogs to feed and only 1 1/2 bags of dog food to feed them on.

It honestly feels like an inevitability that we both get it at this point and, frankly, my brain just doesn't know how to handle it. I've moved on from the extreme anxiety I had last week to just feeling a dull mixture of anger, worry and simple numbness.I just don't know and I wish that someone could tell me what is going to happen but I know that's impossible.
FWIW, nothing stresses me out it makes me feel as hopeless as this thread does.

Henry Hank

Jul 25, 2019
The US may be third highest infected, but they are far below Europe in infections per capita

I do think it won't be as bad as Italy in the US simply due to how much more spread out we are and how we lack public transportation outsider NYC.

USA as a whole won't be as bad as Italy per capita, but I bet there'll be numerous Italy
situations in different regions throughout the US. NYC being one of them.

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
Danish numbers:

1226 infected. A rise of 75 new.
186 in ICU
9 dead. A rise of 3 since yesterday.

Total tested: 10,402

Gender split on infected (seems to be equalizing slightly. Was 67% male a week ago):
62.9% male
37.1% female

This day's numbers from Denmark:

1326 infected. A rise of 100 new.
206 in ICU
13 dead. A rise of 4 since yesterday.

Total tested: 11,657

Gender split on infected:
61.6% male
38.4% female

Plum

May 31, 2018
You do shop work, right? It's important and I'm grateful for everyone that does it, but I also have two friends who have stopped going in. One for her physical health, and one for her mental wellbeing. There's no shame in it.

If the stress is fucking you up, and you can step away, do it. Your mum too.

Yeah, I think I'm going to stop going in for the foreseeable future. Thankfully I will very likely still have my job come May but, for the time being, I don't want to spend those shifts (few they may be) having my anxiety lifted up to near-panic levels just so I can be around disgusting cunts or rude cunts.

My Mum's a different story because she is vital to her school in the way a regular teacher isn't so I don't know whether she'll be able to just not go in.

Frankly right now it's less the panic of it all, that's subsided thankfully (though my underlying anxiety is still going strong, but that won't be fixed without some form of therapy I think), and more the utter helplessness and lack of knowing. I don't know who in my family is going to come out of this alive and well and who is going to not come out of it at all. If I could put it into words it's just an overwhelming sense of sadness, I suppose; not one where you want to cry all the time but one where you just feel so numb and the thoughts of what might happen puts a pit in your stomach. It's the exact same feeling I had when my dog died suddenly at the age of 6; it got to the night where she passed and I wasn't panicking I was just... numb; as such it really does feel like things aren't going to end wel here.

Right now I think what I do want is just some basic, obvious statistics of how likely it is that people can die from this. But I don't know if I'd be able to trust that even if I was given them because there being a chance always means that the worst is possible.
It's very serious, but it is not the apocalypse. Civilization won't crumble, but it will certainly change. This will likely be the single biggest event you have lived through up to this point. If you're taking care of yourself and your family, and focusing on maintaining distance and cleanliness, you are doing exactly what you should be doing.

You should probably restrict your internet use if it's too overwhelming to read about. Play some games, watch some movies, read books, anything else. Relaxation time is more important than ever now for our mental health. None of us can be certain how this shakes out, but we need to adapt longterm ways to cope with what is happening to the world.

I don't think that society is going to crumble, I'm just so anxious as to whether my own world is going to crumble. If my Mum dies now when I'm so far from 'ready' for it then I don't know how the fuck I'd cope; I've yet to even get over the residual trauma from the multiple other premature deaths I've experienced throughout my family. Financially all of my family is relatively OK, and if things were to start 'crumbling' societally then we're fairly well-removed from where that would happen. However the virus does not discriminate so if/when we get it we're on the chopping block and it's really only luck that will save us at that point.

I've been trying to cope by playing video games (Animal Crossing definitely helps, and I'm going to watch a ton of the classic Disney films I've missed when Disney+ launches here) but, at the end of the day, that lingering fear and sadness is still there.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA as a whole won't be as bad as Italy per capita, but I bet there'll be numerous Italy
situations in different regions throughout the US. NYC being one of them.
NYC is going to be decimated, especially considering how slow the city was to institute restrictions. I think the rest of the country should be okish, not great, but not Italy or Spain levels bad.

MoosetheMark

May 3, 2019
NYC is going to be decimated, especially considering how slow the city was to institute restrictions. I think the rest of the country should be okish, not great, but not Italy or Spain levels bad.
NYC is going to be rough as hell but we have a competent governor who is getting shit done and some extremely smart and hard working people working for hospitals (my fiancée included) who are on top of this shit and working round the clock to help.

Mark my words, NYC will be bad but we'll have it under control long before places like Florida do. I believe in us.

Henry Hank

Jul 25, 2019

I can see parts of Florida being crushed. I think the south in general is in danger of really getting hit hard for a variety of reasons.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
I am guessing smoking is more common among men, specially in Asia. That could be a reason to research it later.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Had four out of five of the most common symptoms this morning, and just started getting a headache in the last hour.

Pretty certain I got it now.

We got many users that have had it and made it through the other side yet?

I'm not in an at risk group, and was already self isolating prior to these symptoms.

LilZippa

Oct 25, 2017
Iowa
Thanks I want to show them this. They don't believe stuff I say unless they hear about it by a more credible source (sure I can be wrong on ocassion, but I'm tired of blindly believing this kind of stuff instead of these facts I've been reading).
My Mom just sent me a FB messenger message with a audio version of these. What are the people making these gaining by trying to get around the FB new post screening. I just don't understand why Boomers just pass fake news through social media without any checks. Screaming into the void.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
NYC is going to be rough as hell but we have a competent governor who is getting shit done and some extremely smart and hard working people working for hospitals (my fiancée included) who are on top of this shit and working round the clock to help.

Mark my words, NYC will be bad but we'll have it under control long before places like Florida do. I believe in us.

Yeah NYC, Cali, and Ohio are most likely to get shit under control.

ironichaos

Oct 31, 2017
Italy numbers. Deaths keep climbing like crazy, something that didn't happen in China, where they reached 150 and plateaued.

Day 10: 977 new cases, 168 deaths
Day 11: 2.313 new cases ,196 deaths
Day 12: 2.651 new cases, 189 deaths
Day 13: 2.547 new cases, 250 deaths
Day 14: 3.497 new cases, 175 deaths
Day 15: 3.590 new cases, 368 deaths
Day 16: 3.233 new cases, 349 deaths
Day 17: 3.536 new cases, 345 deaths
Day 18: 4.207 new cases, 475 deaths
Day 19: 5.322 new cases, 427 deaths
Day 20: 5.986 new cases, 627 deaths

Day 21: 6.557 new cases, 793 deaths

Any word on if this increase in numbers is due to family spread?

I thought I recall this was one of the reasons China was so successful in curbing new infections. Instead of sending positive cases home to spread the virus among their family members, they were quarantined at hospitals.

I worry the strategy subsequent countries are following, expecting the same numbers as China....we're going to see very different outcomes.

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
Had four out of five of the most common symptoms this morning, and just started getting a headache in the last hour.

Pretty certain I got it now.

We got many users that have had it and made it through the other side yet?

I'm not in an at risk group, and was already self isolating prior to these symptoms.
I wish they would just fucking test us. I think I have it but will never know.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
at the end of the day, that lingering fear and sadness is still there.

I don't know how old you are, I assume you're close to me (a millennial), but I think you should recognize it is normal and okay to feel like this. We are all feeling like that. We will probably feel like that even after society resumes some level of normalcy again. People our age especially will probably carry this with us for the rest of our lives, the same way people carried the Great Depression and World War II with them. You are not alone in feeling like this. All of us are just trying to get through this day by day. On some level, we must recognize what is out of our control, and do our best to take care of ourselves and our fellow people. Nothing matters more right now than weathering this crisis.

If you do look into research and stats, please double check them, because a lot of fearmongering is going on that is unhelpful.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Those death statistics in Italy and Iran seem insane. There has to be some reason for the massive percentages, right?

...right?

yes, lack of testing. Again around 80% positive in Italy have shown to have little/no symptoms when they tested an entire town. Many more are infected and will never get tested. The real mortality percentage is much lower, but deaths will continue to grow exponentially

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
Testing in the US is a joke. The person I'm seeing was tested at a Kaiser drive through on Sunday due to being directly exposed to a patient with Covid-19 at her workplace, and having light symptoms, and she STILL hasn't gotten the results. What's the point of testing if they're going to take a week to turn around results?

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
Those death statistics in Italy and Iran seem insane. There has to be some reason for the massive percentages, right?

...right?

One reason could be that at least I can tell you for Iran (and I think it is true for Italy too), people are more touchy there. It is common to hug, cheek kiss on top of handshaking and not just with your close family either.

Also Iran has basically no economy right now. People can't just stay home, they gotta eat some how.

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
I still have my stepbrother sending me videos from doctors here in Germany appearing on TV (or just on the Internet, not sure) saying that COVID-19 is a nothing burger, that 50% of the test results are false and the treatments are killing people and that is why so many die. One of those lunatics is called "Claus Köhnlein".

It's in German: https://youtu.be/TzTr_RjtgUk?t=611
It's a Youtube channel filled with conspiracy theories and intentional misinformation, vaccines cause autism, 9/11 conspiracies, climate change isn't real..the whole shebang, all financed by Russia. Maybe you should ask your stepbrother why he's watching (and even sending you) that garbage.

Last edited:

Introvert

Nov 5, 2017
I hope this doesn't last into summer. Everyone holed up inside their homes trying to run AC all at the same time is surely going to cause massive blackouts.

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
Everybody in Denmark got a text on their cell phone from the police today:

"Message to all mobile users in Denmark.
Coronavirus is spreading in Denmark right now. Keep your distance and show consideration – also when the sun shines. Otherwise, we will not be able to slow the spread of the disease. Enjoy your weekend. The police."

I think it's a reaction to two things:
The numbers are climbing.
They are seeing too many cases of people not taking the rules seriusly.

I give it 3-4 days until it's illegal to be outside for non-essential purposes.

Plum

May 31, 2018
I don't know how old you are, I assume you're close to me (a millennial), but I think you should recognize it is normal and okay to feel like this. We are all feeling like that. We will probably feel like that even after society resumes some level of normalcy again. People our age especially will probably carry this with us for the rest of our lives, the same way people carried the Great Depression and World War II with them. You are not alone in feeling like this. All of us are just trying to get through this day by day. On some level, we must recognize what is out of our control, and do our best to take care of ourselves and our fellow people. Nothing matters more right now than weathering this crisis.

If you do look into research and stats, please double check them, because a lot of fearmongering is going on that is unhelpful.

I realise that.

It's just that I've felt these feelings before, multiple times in fact, and every time they've been followed by a massive life-changing tragedy, so right now it 'feels' like that is going to occur here. Like I said before it's the exact same feeling I've had, amongst other examples that I don't really want to share, the night my childhood dog died prematurely. I don't mean to sound like I'm trying to be 'special' or something but I honestly don't know it can be normal to feel this way because not everyone has experienced what I've experienced.

yes, lack of testing. Again around 80% positive in Italy have shown to have little/no symptoms when they tested an entire town. Many more are infected and will never get tested. The real mortality percentage is much lower, but deaths will continue to grow exponentially
U.S. sanctions have completely fucked Iran over. As for Italy, Italy has a pretty large elderly population which are suffering the most from this.
One reason could be that at least I can tell you for Iran (and I think it is true for Italy too), people are more touchy there. It is common to hug, cheek kiss on top of handshaking and not just with your close family either.

Also Iran has basically no economy right now. People can't just stay home, they gotta eat some how.

Are all of these true or is just one of these true? Sorry :(

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Yeah, I think I'm going to stop going in for the foreseeable future. Thankfully I will very likely still have my job come May but, for the time being, I don't want to spend those shifts (few they may be) having my anxiety lifted up to near-panic levels just so I can be around disgusting cunts or rude cunts.

My Mum's a different story because she is vital to her school in the way a regular teacher isn't so I don't know whether she'll be able to just not go in.

Frankly right now it's less the panic of it all, that's subsided thankfully (though my underlying anxiety is still going strong, but that won't be fixed without some form of therapy I think), and more the utter helplessness and lack of knowing. I don't know who in my family is going to come out of this alive and well and who is going to not come out of it at all. If I could put it into words it's just an overwhelming sense of sadness, I suppose; not one where you want to cry all the time but one where you just feel so numb and the thoughts of what might happen puts a pit in your stomach.

Right now I think what I do want is just some basic, obvious statistics of how likely it is that people can die from this. But I don't know if I'd be able to trust that even if I was given them because there being a chance always means that the worst is possible.
For me, the most important thing to get my head around wasn't the individual survival rates. They seem to be all over the place. The main thing is that, especially during this initial phase, every person can potentially do an enormous amount of harm, before they even realise they're doing it. Every person I convinced to stay at home, or to take more precautions, or to avoid the supermarket when its busy, or to be the person pushing their boss to let everyone work from home, had an effect. One fewer person catching and transmitting the virus means dozens or hundreds or thousands of lives saved. Or maybe they would all have been fine without me. I'll never know. But this is how we save people, and this is also how we maximise our own chances.

So I just keep doing that.

I used to work in a petrol station but I've been off work for ages with an anxiety disorder. I don't know how I'd have coped if I still did that job. I worked during periods where the public was panic buying, but there was never any risk to me.

Right now I live with my parents and I'm very scared of bringing a virus home when I get food. If I was doing the shop work, and coming home to my parents, I would 100% quit.

I've been crying a lot, because it is desperately sad.

OneThirtyEight

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
This day's numbers from Denmark:
Sweden has not updated numbers in 12 hours wich is scary, like they are just waiting to drop a huge bomb or something. We don't even have new ICU numbers since like wednesday(30-ish), and total tested since the 17th(14000).
Totalts at 21 march 1pm:
1746 cases, 20 deceased, 16 recovered. 802 new cases since the 14th.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
Have we figured out yet why men are far more susceptible to this than women?

Women have stronger immune systems:

www.sciencedaily.com

Women have stronger immune systems than men -- and it's all down to X-chromosome related microRNA

As anyone familiar with the phrase "man-flu" will know women consider themselves to be the more robust side of the species when it comes to health and illness. Now new research seems to support the idea. The research focuses on the role of MicroRNAs encoded on the X chromosome to explain why...

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Women have stronger immune systems:

www.sciencedaily.com

Women have stronger immune systems than men -- and it's all down to X-chromosome related microRNA

As anyone familiar with the phrase "man-flu" will know women consider themselves to be the more robust side of the species when it comes to health and illness. Now new research seems to support the idea. The research focuses on the role of MicroRNAs encoded on the X chromosome to explain why...
Give us some of that immune system, ladies.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017

...right?

This has some good info but basically Italy has one of the oldest median populations in the world:

www.businessinsider.com

Italy, now under lockdown, has been hit hard by the coronavirus outbreak. It also has one of the world's oldest populations with 60% over age 40.

"For better or for worse, we have a very old population," Giovanni Rezza, chief epidemiologist at Italy's national health institute, said on Monday.

And then you have a lot of young people interacting with that older population. People have also mentioned generational households.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile

www.youtube.com

Mañalich: 'Un Virus Buena Persona'

'...y, pongo un ejemplo: ayer yo dije, en la proyección que calculamos, estamos duplicando el número de casos cada 3 días. El cálculo de hoy día, es que esta...

Between this and so many Americans buying guns as if they can somehow shoot the fucking virus, I question the sanity of our race as a whole right now...

It's not the human race, it's our western culture. Chile and USA has some similarities in the stupidity