• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TJG662

Oct 25, 2017
California
First weekend working back in the hospital. I'm in nor cal but ill keep company name out. The lack of supplies and organizations is disheartening

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
First dead in Chile, more than 500 infected.

Some may say I'm exaggerating but the Coronavirus crisis has developed quite the class warfare talking. You see, the vast majority of infected are wealthy people that went on vacation outside the country, bringing the virus and breaking every possible quarantine. It includes a 62 year old man that broke quarantine, and drunk drove his Jaguar to a car accident with other vehicle. They are also going to different parts of the country for vacation since they have two weeks off. No joke.

Infected as of 15 of march in the capital:
90140981_10221843255930552_3834734612198719488_n.jpg

Income chart:

90331832_10221843258330612_4105258045074833408_n.jpg

Inequality

90223321_10221843260250660_3510936731400536064_n.jpg

Primary education

90151669_10221852270755917_7432080407648010240_o.jpg

superior eductation chart

90176770_10221843262410714_2146944084143505408_n.jpg

You get the idea.

So, what has happened, is that since authorities haven't enforce the quarantine of these wealthy bastards, people organized themselves, closing the roads to prevent them to get to other places for vacation. However political authorities say that local mayors can't close roads and that people that do, will be met with police or military. In fact, police allowed some going to the beach last night.

In other parts, there is a bit of control. But yeah, we are in the hands of incompetent politicians, and wealthy bastards that are spreading the virus because they won't stay at home just because someone tells them to. You see in twitter the #CuicosCuliaos (FuckingCuicos) or #CuicosTerroristas trending, "Cuicos" being how we say to wealthy people.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
My wife works at a hospital here in Indy (in a specialty outpatient clinic). They have had at least one confirmed, one quarantine, and many "awaiting test result" cases. We are young, healthy, and don't have kids (have 3 dogs...)...So, bless her heart, she's volunteered to assist on the normal inpatient or outpatient side if necessary (so that those who are more compromised or have kids and other things to worry about can handle that as needed). Apparently those who are normally on the inpatient side of things are breaking down from the stress and fear.

Shit is starting to get real here in Indianapolis...

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017

New press conference of Giuseppe Conte, Italian prime minister, in 10 minutes. I suppose stricter lockdown conditions will be established.

Jan 31, 2018
The first coronavirus cases in Taiwan and Italy came only 10 days apart. On Sunday Taiwan, which has deep cultural and economic ties to China, has recorded just 153 cases and two deaths. Italy has more than 47,000 cases and 4,032 people have died.

Italy's epidemic is currently the most devastating in the world; its death toll overtook China's last week and on Saturday officials in Lombardy said deaths in that region had jumped by 546 in one day to 3,095. The pattern of an exponential explosion in cases, after weeks of government inaction in the face of impending crisis, has been repeated across western countries from Spain, France and Germany, to the UK and the US.

Leaders are now taking measures that would have been unthinkable weeks or even days ago, locking down tens of millions of people from Berlin to Madrid and San Francisco and pouring billions into rescue plans.

But had they acted a few weeks earlier, they could perhaps have avoided much of the human tragedy and economic catastrophe they now face. Taiwan, Hong Kong and Singapore, which had their first confirmed cases before Europe, but acted early and fast, still have deaths in single digits and, at most, a few hundred cases.

www.theguardian.com

Coronavirus: how Asian countries acted while the west dithered

In Hong Kong and Taiwan, deaths are in single figures. But Europe gambled on a containment strategy

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Oh, by the way, our health minister said that "We can't know how will the virus will behave, it may even mutate and become a good person"

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
mmmmm.... depends on how we're testing. If we're only testing the people who have more severe symptoms, then it's very scary.

also the numbers from a week from now are going to be the people infected before social distancing protocols took effect.
Outside of Asia, almost no one is testing asymptomatic people so yeah, every number you see out there is going to be a big undercount. An important thing to remember is that because of how long the process takes, generally it's only catching people who were infected 6+ days ago.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
If everyone stayed home for a month and never interacted with another person around the world, would Covid-19 be gone and the world could resume? I mean in a month everyone whose body the virus is in should work it's way through to be non-contagious (I think the longest was 37 days, right?) and there should be no new infections.

2 months seems like it's be a sure thing. Is the reason why all the predictions of 12-18 months just because they assume a lot of people won't isolate?

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
If everyone stayed home for a month and never interacted with another person around the world, would Covid-19 be gone and the world could resume? I mean in a month everyone whose body the virus is in should work it's way through to be non-contagious (I think the longest was 37 days, right?) and there should be no new infections.

2 months seems like it's be a sure thing. Is the reason why all the predictions of 12-18 months just because they assume a lot of people won't isolate?
Yes. The world is vast and complex, so there's no way to get everyone in lockdown simultaneously, and keep them fed, and keep the people keeping them fed from becoming sick. We can do it in many places, but there are too many people, and too many differing societies.

If a vaccine can be developed that gives long-term immunity, this virus can be wiped off the face of the Earth. That's the long game.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here in Canada they're saying 8 months with "aggressive social distancing"

nationalpost.com

Stopping COVID-19 could require eight months of 'aggressive social distancing,' outbreak modelling shows

Even if we were to ease up on the suppression strategies every four weeks or so, community transmission takes off again, according to the model

possibly. That's a model though. As Bill Gates days they're only as good as the assumptions going into them.

chadskin

Oct 27, 2017
My mom works in (non-essential) retail and her store initially got closed down until March 31 but closure was just extended until April 19. Another four weeks of social distancing and quarantine is going to drive some people mad.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So....had some diarrhea (I know, tmi) this morning and some on and off stomach cramps all day. Hope this isn't the precursor.

No know contact with anyone, so it would be community spread. 50 confirmed cases in Buffalo.

Monkey D.

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
If everything goes right, the fastest you can get a vaccine out, is 12-18 months.
Sure but if they find something to fight the virus if you actually get it the world could go back to normal much quicker , no?

Vaccine would be perfect of course but medicine in the meantime would be good to stop with the quarantine and people go back to work and not lose their jobs.

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
Just watched the White House press briefing.
They are trying to cover their asses big time. The way they are listing their accomplishments and framing this as if no one had seen it coming sounds like straight up propaganda.
Also, this Fauci guy is a fraud. He is sticking very closely to the WH narrative of all this.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
They are trying to cover their asses big time. The way they are listing their accomplishments and framing this as if no one had seen it coming sounds like straight up propaganda.
Also, this Fauci guy is a fraud. He is sticking very closely to the WH narrative of all this.
I think Dr. Fauci is in an impossible situation. He seems like he wants to do what's right but knows he'll get completely silenced and sidelined if he pushes against the narrative that the administration is putting out. It feels like he's testing the waters with what he can get away with saying.

Monkey D.

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Yeah doesn't seem I do going by the old thermometer at my parents place.

I can't find one for my own house right now. 🙄
I think Dr. Fauci is in an impossible situation. He seems like he wants to do what's right but knows he'll get completely silenced and sidelined if he pushes against the narrative that the administration is putting out. It feels like he's testing the waters with what he can get away with saying.
100% . He knows one wrong word and he is gone.

Koppai

Oct 25, 2017
I am in Mexico City visiting my husband and nothing is shutdown. People are wearing masks and there is hand sanitizer. But everything is still open. Malls, movie theaters, etc. Population is close to 9 Million...I feel like it may become like Italy here.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017

The Silver Lining here is, at the very least, they're not calling it a hoax. By Republican standards that's pretty much a Biblical Miracle.

Deleted member 4614

Oct 25, 2017

He's trying to figure out how to steer a plague ship

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
fucking hell another more than 700 deaths in Italy today. My heart can't take this... Just had a call with my family and they said they are scared in the house with nowhere to go. Hope they stay that way. Nobody should be going out in this fucking chaos.

iyox

Oct 25, 2017

He absolutely is tiptoeing the line in attempt to stay onboard and save lives. I am sure he'd probably like to tell Trump off but would be worth nothing beyond that brief moment.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017

I don't think that's fair. One of the big narratives that Trump tried to push out this week was that chloroquine could be the answer. Fauci has been quick to point out that any evidence of it working is anecdotal as there have been no clinical trials to show that it's genuinely effective. Trump hasn't liked that at all. He's more or less the lone voice in these conferences telling people to not get their hopes up for it right now, while Trump continues to beat the drum.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Ah so he prioritizes the money and fame rather than saving people. He's just like all of them.
The last thing we need is one of the only people with their head on straight in this administration getting fired especially when his replacement is made by that orange dumb fuck. He's not trying to keep his job for his sake he's trying to do it for the American people.

He's already having a tough time managing messaging for this pandemic but he also needs to risk not breaking Trump's fragile ego and make things worse

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
He absolutely is tiptoeing the line in attempt to stay onboard and save lives. I am sure he'd probably like to tell Trump off but would be worth nothing beyond that brief moment.

It's an amazing state of affairs in the US government that the most dangerous thing you can be is qualified and honest, and if you are, you'll get fired, even in a crisis situation with lives on the line and replaced by a loyalist. Who will also get fired once lives are lost the President needs a scapegoat.

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018
I am in Mexico City visiting my husband and nothing is shutdown. People are wearing masks and there is hand sanitizer. But everything is still open. Malls, movie theaters, etc. Population is close to 9 Million...I feel like it may become like Italy here.

That's what many of us are starting to believe. Our subway gets packed like Japan's during rush hour, and our public transport is still operating at full capacity. It's been 2 weeks since the last time I rode the bus or took the subway. There's no way I'm exposing myself to that at this point.