• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HTupolev

Oct 27, 2017
Ok, but still, these changes now would be reflective of infections almost 2 weeks ago. Not reflective of any recent measures taken, like social distancing.
Many businesses here have been implementing social distancing measures for over two weeks, especially the big tech companies which moved as many employees as feasible to work-from-home shortly after the start of March.

It's hard to be sure how accurate any numbers are, but it's possible that the efforts here are having a visible effect on the growth rate by now.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Reasonably confident I have indeed contracted COVID-19. Got four out of the five most common symptoms, and was in close contact with someone on Monday who had symptoms by Wednesday. I'm not in an at risk group, and was already self isolating prior to these symptoms.

I'm following the medical advice, and fortunately able to work from home. In the words of Chet Haze: I'm not tripping.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Also, social distancing will only have an effect on case numbers in about 10-14 days.
The US is nowhere near the amount of necessary testing to be able to even recognize a flattening trend in their curve.
I wouldn't interpret anything into those Washington State numbers.

Our governor says their voluntary message seemed to work because the data they were seeing didn't necessitate for them to mandating a shut down order.

And Washington has been ramping testing and have started testing drive thru essential personal (grocery workers, public services etc) for covid-19 starting today

The national response has been pitiful, thank God for local municipalities.

komonews.com

Private Seattle lab plans to process 20,000 COVID-19 tests a day

COVID-19 testing is getting a significant and critical boost. LabCorp, a private lab that works with local hospitals and the Washington State Department of Health, said it will start processing 20,000 COVID-19 tests Friday, doubling its original target of performing 10,000 Covid-19 tests.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
Diamond Princess data show it's the italy numbers that are skewed (unknown infected population probably), not china.

This is stupid. Diamond Princess is not a statistically relevant sample. The only thing that the ship and Wuhan have in common is that both were completely closed off, which can't happen in any country in the West.

elelunicy

Oct 27, 2017
China began their lockdowns when they were detecting 400 cases per day, Italy began to lock down when they were detecting 1500 cases per day. If anything, it's actually remarkable how closely the fatality trend is tracking China's.

What we'll begin to learn over the next week is what effect Italy's lockdown measures have had.
Yeah, China reported 150 deaths on Feb 23, a full month after Wuhan went into lockdown. Lombardy has only been in lockdown for two weeks.

shadowkat

Oct 25, 2017

PC Optimum

Up to 15% pay increase retroactive to Mar 8th for employees. This is huge grocery chain in Canada and I assume would include Shoppers Drug mart too.

Musician

Oct 29, 2017
Sweden
The facebook post says she was drinking whiskey. I'm not saying that's the reason, but that's really not something you should do when you're sick.

Healthy people below 40 will die from this simply due to the huge numbers involved. If the chance is 0.001% ten people out of a million will die. That's just the horrible math of huge numbers. These cases will of course be more interesting to the media as well. Just remember, this isn't the norm! I'm not saying you shouldn't be carefull, but I wouldn't be overly worried of dying either, as long as the health care system works at least. .

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
38335085-AC63-49A4-9FD8-BF79F1F33598.jpeg

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That is REALLY impressive.

Also no Western Country is ever going to resort to that, so it's also depressing in a way.
Not everything China is doing (or other countries in Asia for that matter) is applicable to the west, but a whole lot of it is.
They are handling it significantly better than most countries, but I feel like there is an aggressive refusal to look at anything beyond bat meat when it comes to China.

JayRB88

Dec 3, 2019
This just gives me chills. She barely showed symptoms and died days later. I wonder if there were any underlying health concerns that she might have been unaware of?
Yeah same. Do we even know what the cause of death was? Could have been something like a pulmonary embolism or anneurysm rupture considering how sudden it seems and not COVID19 related as normally people would how to the hospital once difficulty breathing set in. Not enough details yet.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017

I'm taking this article with a grain of salt. It's being very careful in not saying she died from it or complications from it... just she died while waiting for testing results. Like 0 information in that article, it doesn't even say if she tested positive.

Last edited:

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
www.wavy.com

Police investigate ‘disturbing’ video of Virginia teens coughing on produce

PURCELLVILLE, Va. (KRON) – Police in Virginia are warning of a “disturbing trend” after a group of teens were caught on camera coughing on produce at a grocery store, then posting…

Oh my fucking god. UGH.

I can understand WHY they're doing it, since kids will be kids, and this doesn't feel real to you when you're at that age, but maaaaaaan...

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope that more companies with any capability to make masks, PPE, and ventilators do whatever they can.

Clothing companies, car companies, literally anyone that can do something.

Actually starting to see some race teams and their parent companies working to turn their R&D departments into producing/printing masks, ventilators, etc.

Henry Hank

Jul 25, 2019

You really have to take caution with a case report like this. She could have died from something completely unrelated. She could have had an unknown underlying medical condition that contributed. Maybe neither of those and it was directly due to COVID, but it's still the exception not the norm.

But, regardless, any young person dying should be a caution to everyone that nobody is completely safe.

DrM

Oct 26, 2017
Slovenia
Okay, why do it lasted less than 24 hours on cardboards but lasted like three days on plastic and hard surfaces? I just don't get it?

Also I presume that papers are lumped into category with cardboards as well right?
I just posted what our postal service announced. I have no idea, why it can survive longer on harder surfaces like plastic or metal.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
My wife says she saw something on WaPo about it being more deadly in children under 12 months but not seeing this. Trying to figure out if she's just panicking or what. Has there been anything like this? All I've seen is virtually no harm for children 10 years old and younger.

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
Not everything China is doing (or other countries in Asia for that matter) is applicable to the west, but a whole lot of it is.
They are handling it significantly better than most countries, but I feel like there is an aggressive refusal to look at anything beyond bat meat when it comes to China.
We see this question: "How can China be telling the truth when other countries have it so bad?" Maybe it's because China is still treating Covid-19 very seriously and they're willing to actually do things that can contain the spread. This willingness also suggests that there won't be any major resurgence in China, so it might be something that other countries can learn from.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
Okay, why do it lasted less than 24 hours on cardboards but lasted like three days on plastic and hard surfaces? I just don't get it?

Also I presume that papers are lumped into category with cardboards as well right?

It's due to the type of material, whether it's porous or non-porous.

I'm not sure the actual reason why, but that plays a major part in it.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Italy numbers. Deaths keep climbing like crazy, something that didn't happen in China, where they reached 150 and plateaued.

Day 10: 977 new cases, 168 deaths
Day 11: 2.313 new cases ,196 deaths
Day 12: 2.651 new cases, 189 deaths
Day 13: 2.547 new cases, 250 deaths
Day 14: 3.497 new cases, 175 deaths
Day 15: 3.590 new cases, 368 deaths
Day 16: 3.233 new cases, 349 deaths
Day 17: 3.536 new cases, 345 deaths
Day 18: 4.207 new cases, 475 deaths
Day 19: 5.322 new cases, 427 deaths
Day 20: 5.986 new cases, 627 deaths

Day 21: 6.557 new cases, 793 deaths

In no way should china numbers taken for granted.

kamikazety

Banned
Dec 5, 2018
I'm just glad I already had a medical stockpile from last year. I bought gloves and masks in January long before people started buying them in mass. The *95 type mask shortage sucks but I'll be damned if im adding additional risk to my health because of ahole hoarders.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Anyone else here about this memo going around? My parents sent a sound clip, half are facts, half sound like pseudoscience:

Starts out with talking about how due to autopsies in China, we now know how the virus works (attaches itself in the lungs and is sticky blah blah), and then goes on to how to prevent it. Some facts like dogs can't catch it: true. Then other stuff like "drink water constantly to wet your throat, virus can't attach easily" and "gargle salt water so the virus can't make it into the lungs". Also other stuff like "wash your hands every 20 mins" which sounds very excessive (especially if you aren't going out) and can dry out and ruin your hands.

There has to be a Snopes thing on this, right? If these were real things to "stop the virus" we would have widespread heard about it by now.
I heard it... it's a perfect example of "realistic enough to be true" / "obvious enough to be bollocks".

Kemal86

Oct 25, 2017
Another 168 cases and 1 additional death in IL. Basically the same number of new cases and new deaths each day for the last 3 days.

Gorgosh

Oct 26, 2017
German case numbers today are weird, end of day probably ~2500 new cases, yesterday we had 4500 new cases.... Maybe less testing on weekends (which would be kind of strange?)

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
hitconsultant.net

At-Home COVID-19 Test Kits Will Be Available to U.S. Consumers for $139

Everlywell announces that an at-home COVID-19 test kit with telehealth diagnosis for COVID-19 will be available to consumers starting Monday, March 23.
These are more or less useless because any positives will still have to be confirmed by a regular test, and who knows what kind of havoc false negatives can generate.

India is the place I fear for the most.
Right now I'm more worried about the US.