• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
And yet celebrities and politicians seem to be able to get them without any problem even if they don't have symptoms.
If you can demonstrate you had some proximity to someone who tested positive, you can get a test. The higher in status you are, the far easier it is to demonstrate. No, that's not fair.

The outbreak centers, at least in the Northeast where I live, have gotten priority for testing as well. They haven't given up on having testing yet, but we'll have to see today's NYC update later to see where this stands.

SmokeMaxX

Oct 25, 2017
Even with an immediate response, instead of censoring it like China did, I don't think this could've been contained, it originated from a market, just imagine how many people were infected, many of them infected other people without knowing, the incubation period id 14 days, by the time the first patient went to a hospital and they discovered the new virus, it was probably already all around Wuhan.
This is why even in the West countries underestimated the virus despite having more time to prepare.

The racism is going to be bad for all the Asian people in general, because to a lot of Western people all Asians are Chinese.
In addition, everyone keeps talking about how similar this is to a cold or the flu. Until a lot of people are falling over dying, noone cares to do anything about someone who "probably has the cold/flu." If it originated here, the first of those affected probably wouldn't get any testing. They'd just get something to help with the symptoms and get sent on their way.

Yatahaze

Jun 17, 2018
People forget the deaths you mentioned are still happening. It's the additional amount of sick people that is the problem. Why do people not understand this.

Not to mention the treatment requirements for covid19 and this is just the beginning, we literally have no idea how hard this is going to hit when it is said and done, and if the hospital systems collapse it's going to be much worse than that.

iyox

Oct 25, 2017
The 2017/18 flu season which lasted 19 weeks accounted for over 61,000 deaths in the US, that's on average 460 deaths a day, at its peak it had to be over 1,000 a day. Not downplaying this virus, I know it's going to get much worse, worried about the numbers we will see here in the coming weeks. Just trying to understand how hospitals are already struggling.

That's across the US. Hospitals in very specific areas are dealing with issues. NY will be dealing with numbers above those by next week.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in IL. We have a shelter in place order and schools have been closed since early this week. While I know all of this is helping imo it's still means very little when we're still not getting tested.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone else here about this memo going around? My parents sent a sound clip, half are facts, half sound like pseudoscience:

Starts out with talking about how due to autopsies in China, we now know how the virus works (attaches itself in the lungs and is sticky blah blah), and then goes on to how to prevent it. Some facts like dogs can't catch it: true. Then other stuff like "drink water constantly to wet your throat, virus can't attach easily" and "gargle salt water so the virus can't make it into the lungs". Also other stuff like "wash your hands every 20 mins" which sounds very excessive (especially if you aren't going out) and can dry out and ruin your hands.

There has to be a Snopes thing on this, right? If these were real things to "stop the virus" we would have widespread heard about it by now.

blue_whale

Nov 1, 2017
For those doubting China numbers... do y'all think any western country has done what they did so early in their outbreak?

Oct 25, 2017
The 2017/18 flu season which lasted 19 weeks accounted for over 61,000 deaths in the US, that's on average 460 deaths a day, at its peak it had to be over 1,000 a day. Not downplaying this virus, I know it's going to get much worse, worried about the numbers we will see here in the coming weeks. Just trying to understand how hospitals are already struggling.

In addition to what other people are saying, Treating the acute phase is long and intensive and resource heavy. Younger people might survive but those that end up needing treatment add to that demand as well and are very numerous. Our medical system is built out to existing demand. So this is on top of the current needs. Add the demands of quarantine and how that affects provisioning at all levels too.

Naru

May 11, 2019
In Italy around 2000 people die every day. Today 800 people died from COVID-19 alone. That is an increase of 40% just for one single day.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If you can demonstrate you had some proximity to someone who tested positive, you can get a test. The higher in status you are, the far easier it is to demonstrate. No, that's not fair.

The outbreak centers, at least in the Northeast where I live, have gotten priority for testing as well. They haven't given up on having testing yet, but we'll have to see today's NYC update later to see where this stands.
Not in Seattle.
They are only testing people who are in serious conditions, and NYC and LA seem to be moving toward that model as well.
I'm still gonna bet good money celebrities and people from congress will somehow manage to get tested if they have a fever.

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
Flu spreads relatively evenly. Covid-19 doesn't, it bunches up and overwhelms locally.
Flu has a much lower rate of requiring intensive care and ICUs(intensive care units) are the bottleneck the US will run into quickly with covid-19 patients.
And lastly, Covid-19 is spreading much more easily, so it is requiring much tighter care, its infecting medical staff more easily, it is requiring more protective gear, once hospitals run out of those, more medical staff will get infected, reducing capacity further.

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
Italy. Death rates in different age brackets

KhvnxGT.png

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco

The United States is 33 times the size of Italy. The nightmare scenario is when we have the same number of deaths per day as Italy in each state.

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else here about this memo going around? My parents sent a sound clip, half are facts, half sound like pseudoscience:

Starts out with talking about how due to autopsies in China, we now know how the virus works (attaches itself in the lungs and is sticky blah blah), and then goes on to how to prevent it. Some facts like dogs can't catch it: true. Then other stuff like "drink water constantly to wet your throat, virus can't attach easily" and "gargle salt water so the virus can't make it into the lungs". Also other stuff like "wash your hands every 20 mins" which sounds very excessive (especially if you aren't going out) and can dry out and ruin your hands.

There has to be a Snopes thing on this, right? If these were real things to "stop the virus" we would have widespread heard about it by now.

It's fake, been debunked a while back.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Thank You!

Do I throw them away when I for example did my shopping in the supermarket?
Surgical masks might be in short supply later on. I'd recommend at least waiting for symptoms before even wearing them for now.

I'm not an expert on this topic, so please take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Mar Tuuk

Oct 31, 2017
I live in NYC and have a package coming in from El Monte, CA. Should I wipe it down before bringing it inside or leave it outside?

Rampage

Oct 27, 2017
Metro Detriot
Sorry to ask, but has diarrhea been seen as a symptom in any subset of patients? I went from fever and sore throat to sh*ting my brains out in the span of a week.

Yes, but it is not common.
It was listed on a the Doctor office chart showing the major differences between cold/flu/corona.

"Clinicians must bear in mind that digestive symptoms, such as diarrhea, may be a presenting feature of COVID-19, and that the index of suspicion may need to be raised earlier in these cases rather than waiting for respiratory symptoms to emerge," authors of the study wrote.

Last edited:

TorianElecdra

Feb 25, 2020
My father is a doctor who primarily works with blood-related diseases. He's still gonna be on the COVID-19 response team if/when things get hairy. Italy scares the hell out of him.

He speculates part of the reason things have gotten so bad there is because Italy's culture is so close-knit and touchy-feely. Which... Actually makes a lot of sense. Social distancing is easier in an environment like South Korea or Germany where personal space is already at a maximum and harder in an environment where people are constantly hugging, kissing, etc. That bodes decently for the United States, but not for Argentina. I hope to god things don't get too bad down there.

It is also due to intergenerational households. This bolds badly for Latinamerica

Last edited:

HTupolev

Oct 27, 2017
Italy numbers. Deaths keep climbing like crazy, something that didn't happen in China, where they reached 150 and plateaued.
China began their lockdowns when they were detecting 400 cases per day, Italy began to lock down when they were detecting 1500 cases per day. If anything, it's actually remarkable how closely the fatality trend is tracking China's.

What we'll begin to learn over the next week is what effect Italy's lockdown measures have had.

turtle553

Oct 25, 2017
Because Italy was one of first countries to get it after China and they waited a long time to take action. I don't buy any other explanation that Italians are dirty or aging population. Half of European countries have as old population as Italy, give or take a few years. Italy is like a preview of what will happen across Europe, USA, etc in the coming months.

We desperately need to adopt widespread mask usage asap in Europe and US.

Here's a typical greeting used in Italy, Spain, and France. Easy to see how transmissions could be high
PresentNextBluegill-max-1mb.gif

TrAcEr_x90

Oct 27, 2017
Are states that haven't started implementing tighter guidelines or lockdowns idiots? Or is there a chance some states don't need to be as bad with lockdowns?

Nov 13, 2017
I really hope that more companies with any capability to make masks, PPE, and ventilators do whatever they can.

Clothing companies, car companies, literally anyone that can do something.

Doby

Oct 25, 2017
Surgical masks might be in short supply later on. I'd recommend at least waiting for symptoms before even wearing them for now.

I'm not an expert on this topic, so please take everything I say with a grain of salt.

No one without symptoms, outside of medics, should be throwing away masks after a single use. If you're worried about contamination you can sterilise it or simply quarantine it for a week.

Deleted member 4614

Oct 25, 2017
Is anyone else concerned about the presidential candidates contracting Corona virus?

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, but still, these changes now would be reflective of infections almost 2 weeks ago. Not reflective of any recent measures taken, like social distancing.

Since Seattle is where most of this started in the US, the local area has been reacting to a heightened state well before the rest of the country started catching up.

Maybe the flattening of the cases there will prove to be an anomaly but it wouldn't be surprising in the slightest to find that Seattle area (followed by Washington State) could be on a different part of the curve than much of the rest of the country.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
Bulletin for the
French situation:
14459 active cases + 1847 in 24 H
6172 hospitalized + 946 in 24 H

1525 in intensive care + 228 in 24 H
562 dead + 112 in 24 H

sorry if it was already posted, i missed the live bulletin