• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hierophant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Bruh... I said the wild animal markets are barbaric - and they are. I never said China was. I never said the people were. Maybe correctly read what I wrote, and less looking to get offended.
This is fucking pissing me off now what the fuck looking to get offended I'm literally getting hate attacks on the street for being Chinese and you're telling us that we're looking to get offended?

Jesus christ you're a real one dude.
An aspect of China can be barbaric without saying the people are barbaric. Seriously, fuck off with the mask slipping bullshit. Nothing I said was racist.
It's cool you can decide what you think is racist against Asians or not. There's at least two Asian posters here who think what you've said is racist, not sure if our words is better than yours though.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
This is fucking pissing me off now what the fuck looking to get offended I'm literally getting hate attacks on the street for being Chinese and you're telling us that we're looking to get offended?

It's cool you can decide what you think is racist against Asians or not. There's at least two Asian posters here who think what you've said is racist, not sure if our words is better than yours though.
If you think saying the wild animal markets are barbaric is racist, that is objectively wrong.

And I'm sorry racist idiots are directing this towards you on the streets, but that doesn't mean people can't discuss how China handled this without it being racist.

aznpxdd

Oct 25, 2017
At least orange cheeto's plan is working. Ya'll got peeps in here blaming China instead of US' pathetic response to this virus with months of warning.

pink

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Dismissing the Concerns of Minority Members

time to back away from the keyboard bud

www.youtube.com

How wildlife trade is linked to coronavirus

And why the disease first appeared in China.NOTE: As our expert Peter Li points out in the video, “The majority of the people in China do not eat wildlife an...

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
At least orange cheeto's plan is working. Ya'll got peeps in here blaming China instead of US' pathetic response to this virus with months of warning.

I mean, we are all adults here and can "blame" more than one government for this. Its a false equivalence to equate absolutely valid criticism of China's governments response with Trump's blatant race baiting.

DrewFu

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
I don't think anyone has defended Trump's awful response to the virus in the US. He is absolutely largely at fault for it getting out of control here in the US.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
apple.news

Opinion | The United States might have a secret weapon against coronavirus — The Washington Post

Demographically, Americans might be well-suited to stand against this disease.

Something I've been thinking about all this, not applicable if you live in a dense city but some hope for smaller areas.
Ehhh... I mean sure, you're not going to see the entire country wiped out, but from your cities alone you're still looking at 10s of thousands of deaths.

Odd article.

DrewFu

Banned
Apr 19, 2018

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
What's amazing is that with months warning, Western countries have managed to do even worse than China did.

And as far as who's to blame, it's entirely possible this thing was loose far before China was fully aware of what they were dealing with. I feel like Ive read of cases that look like COVID in retrospect outside of China.

And even if that's not the case, it's impossible to know if even the most serious crackdown imaginable would have kept it from getting loose at all. And even if you could know that, it's slippery to figure where the blame actually goes. Is it the local officials whose reticence caused the delay in action or the higher ups who tried to bury this? Or is it the blame of a few corrupt officials who turned a blind eye to the wet markets and let this situation fester?

Ultimately hard, if not impossible, to know. And even if you do know, then what? It's not like the CCP would be willing to let international courts decide anything in this matter. And most Chinese people and people of Chinese descent have absolutely no blame in what happened. And so we inveigh upon China for what reason?

To try to change behavior? To deflect blame?

It barely matters that it started in China anymore. They fucked up in a situation with no warning, and somehow with plenty of warning Western nations have fucked up even worse, and have sought to blame China for the mess they're currently making. So, fine, blame China, but make sure that in the process you don't inadvertently use that blame to try and cover for our own errors or to invoke it enough that shitbags use it as an excuse for racial abuse.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Does California's case number feel low or is it just me? From that number, it sounds like they are slowing the spread very well or not testing enough(which I doubt in that state).

Newsom said he expects thousands or tens of thousands of people have it already but there isn't the capacity to test everyone, so yes that number is likely far lower than actual cases that haven't been confirmed by testing.

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
NY has conducted 45,437 tests.

1,834 additional positive cases since last night. 6,211 total cases in NYC.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Y'all wanna take that discussion elsewhere? Feels pretty pointless to have that here, in a thread that's mostly meant to keep people updated and informed (or so I had assumed)...

Jan 10, 2018
I don't think anyone has defended Trump's awful response to the virus in the US. He is absolutely largely at fault for it getting out of control here in the US.

If you are saying China is responsible for it being the international crisis that it is, you do kinda downplay the malicious clownshoes in UK and US who added flames on purpose.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am sorry for starting this off-track conversation. My intent wasn't to start a finger-pointing war, but to only ask people to stop praising China's response.

pink

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's racist to call wet markets barbaric?

I'm Asian btw. Y'all need to chill

ReflectingSandyInvisiblerail-size_restricted.gif

alright sorry back to the topic at hand

does anyone know if those two medications are being used anywhere in the states yet?

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
Ehhh... I mean sure, you're not going to see the entire country wiped out, but from your cities alone you're still looking at 10s of thousands of deaths.

Odd article.
Yeah, the article is complete nonsense. There's a decent chance that the infections in the US are already near the 100,000 mark and that would make it higher than the total in China. And because of American exceptionalism, there are tons of idiots out there still mingling to make these numbers go way up. I think that unless Covid-19 takes off in India, the US will probably end up with the highest infection numbers in the world, and quite possibly the highest numbers of deaths as well.

DrewFu

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
If you are saying China is responsible for it being the international crisis that it is, you do kinda downplay the malicious clownshoes in UK and US who added flames on purpose.
I blamed China for it spreading to other counties because they refused to acknowledge it for months. I don't blame them for it getting out of hand in other countries.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Serious question. How long will this current situation last? What do the experts say?
Depends on the country, but the general feeling is that in Europe things won't calm down until late May/June. That is assuming things go well. A lot of countries are expecting the infection/death peaks to be in late April-early May. Afterwards there'll still be a loooot of work to do, but yeah... I suppose we can start considering that most of this year will be focused on this.

Trice

Banned
Nov 3, 2018
Croatia
Serious question. How long will this current situation last? What do the experts say?
Until a vaccine is created and distrubuted to the population, the virus is here to stay in full force, barring some breakthroughs in anti-viral treatment(not cure). Anywhere from 6 - 18 months is my guess.

Quarantines and lockdowns will likely flatten the curve, but a lot of people will still die. Just not as many as would without those measures.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places

The current way the US is handling it, until a vaccine next year.

We need to stay home 100% and have groceries delivered with no contact or at least avoid lines outside stores and wear masks while shopping. Seems like recycling and sanitizing masks is something we could do at stores.

pink

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Until a vaccine is created and distrubuted to the population, the virus is here to stay in full force, barring some breakthroughs in anti-viral treatment(not cure). Anywhere from 6 - 18 months is my guess.

Quarantines and lockdowns will likely flatten the curve, but a lot of people will still die.

i saw something about 18 months with rotating quarantines

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

We need to stay home 100% and have groceries delivered with no contact or at least avoid lines outside stores and wear masks while shopping. Seems like recycling and sanitizing masks is something we could do at stores.
There is a zero percent chance the US stays in lockdown mode for 18 months.

DrewFu

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Until there is a vaccine, it is going to continue to some degree. It seems most think the current number of infected will start to tank sometime in the coming months, but even that is just a guess.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
We'll be supposedly peaking in cases in a few months and it'll hopefully start to decline as we head into June/July, but it'll have lasting repercussions and even effective treatment is at least 12-18 months away.

Things are predicted to improve in the summer. It's the following FALL that is having everyone concerned, as that is often when these things flare back up.

h1nch

Dec 12, 2017

Quarantines and lockdowns will likely flatten the curve, but a lot of people will still die.

Yep, this is about where I'm at as well. If we flatten the curve, that's great. But if we start to let up, the curve will un-flatten.

Until a vaccine is ready, this will be the new normal.

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
I feel like one of the big unknowns is whether or not cases will get worse in the Southern Hemisphere once their summer ends. We know that summer doesn't end the disease, but we're still not sure if cold weather makes the spread worse.

Oct 27, 2017
Depends on the country, but the general feeling is that in Europe things won't calm down until late May/June. That is assuming things go well. A lot of countries are expecting the infection/death peaks to be in late April-early May. Afterwards there'll still be a loooot of work to do, but yeah... I suppose we can start considering that most of this year will be focused on this.

Quarantines and lockdowns will likely flatten the curve, but a lot of people will still die. Just not as many as would without those measures.

Thanks guys. So we can expect that 2020 will be a hard year for all of us. So no concerts/festivals this year, no sport activities,... Seems surreal.

Jan 10, 2018
I am sorry for starting this off-track conversation. My intent wasn't to start a finger-pointing war, but to only ask people to stop praising China's response.

I do think we are all not too far away on the same page, just starting the paragraph differently. What still mindfucks me is that China started shaming and punishing people for not doing proper sports, but let these stupid ass markets off the hook. They shat the bed before they even could shit it in response.

DrewFu

Banned
Apr 19, 2018

There is absolutely no way the US, nor any country, can nor will stay shutdown for that long. No economy could survive that.

igordennis

Oct 25, 2017
The entire discussion began because a poster asked people to stop praising China's response and that they are to blame for this pandemic. It was the kind of language I, and other people have grown very used to seeing used by racists. It's a stupid argument at this point but i hope people are more careful with their language.

DrewFu

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Then get ready to dig mass graves for hundreds of thousands.
Unfortunately that may be the result. There is going to be a threshold that eventually gets crossed where the economic dangers far outweigh the dangers of the virus. No country can afford to be shutdown for more than a few months, tops.

When people talk about NA and Europe staying locked down until there is a vaccine, that is literally impossible.

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
To develop, trial, and widely release a vaccine, sure. But for a nationwide lockdown? I just cannot see that being sustained for 1.5-2 years. We're talking tens of millions of people out of work, multiple sectors of the economy shut down, scores of businesses and jobs wiped out. And on top of that, the general stir craziness that will come out of people being forced to isolate for that long. That is not a sustainable status quo.

I guess I tend to lean optimistic on this, maybe out of necessity, but I have to think for as woefully behind and unprepared we were for this a week ago, testing can only get better, treatments can only become more available, social distancing and quarantining can only help limit community spread and flatten the curve. And I have a hard time imagining that a few months of this does absolutely nothing. But who knows.

You are on the money, treatments are the key to fight this FAR, FAR before any vaccine is even considered to be human tested.

On a western forum, and a an American leaning one I don't blame them, our leaders dont lead at all and cynicism on an already cynical as fuck forum is an all time high. Which again is understandable.

The thick silver lining is those experts who can lead are doing so and NOW even fucking trump has to shut up and listen.

But, People who spout the 18+ month timeline do so *without* taking into effect the vast undertaking going on right now in regards to treatments for this. They do so in face of persistent, highly likely to be successful drug trials going on. By many, many countries and more importantly by China who will throw almost everything as successful treatments. The U.K. too now has a rather promising drug ready for trials, we will see what happens, but it is looking good.

In every measurable, conceivable way medicine and treatment is radically different and enourmously advanced then it was even 20 years ago, posters in this thread give off the fucking feeling that if you get this the hospital will throw you a bottle of cough medicine and a good luck sign, no matter how severe the symptoms are. This is not 1920 and if we could show medics from that time some of the equipment we are using to keep thousands of people alive in this crisis, at this very moment, they'd think it's some sort of sci fi film.

Far too many people in this thread fixate on damn vaccine on the be all and endall. It's not, indeed it's a silver bullet that we are still BUILDING the fucking gun to be used in. When we will very likely have a fucking gun that wounds the fucker about ready to pop off.

Min

Oct 25, 2017
I blamed China for it spreading to other counties because they refused to acknowledge it for months. I don't blame them for it getting out of hand in other countries.

Mmmmm.... when cases can take 2 weeks to develop and many look like the common cold, it's hard to acknowledge. The U.S. hasn't acknowledged the gravity of the now known disease that is currently spreading within their borders. I feel the outrage should really be hyper focused on your own government at this point because China managed to stamp this down pretty quickly. But also weren't you saying this was kinda overblown and the economic markets were just panic selling for no reason last week? You see it can be hard to take things seriously.