• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
So do we have data on the deaths plus age?

I just read that men are dying at a higher rate in Italy. On nytimes.

Dizastah

Oct 25, 2017
Still find this a very effective visual when discussing the impact to date. Alongside Kurzgesagt's video they've been useful in getting people to take this seriously.

screenshot2020-03-21ac4jmy.png

screenshot2020-03-21awwj37.png

Jeez, those numbers are scary. What the heck is the US waiting on? Lock the whole country down.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
Even if Japan manages somehow to go on with the Olympics this year, there will be so many athletes from around the world who will not be able to travel there or be a risk of infection. So why would you push for that, really?

It's dumbfounding.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Spanish numbers:
-24926 infected (+4946)
-1326 dead (+324)
-2125 recovered (+540)

Absolutely terrible, we're gonna surpass Italy and maybe even China in a matter of days.

people should stop looking at china numbers, that are not the real numbers at all. western media should also stop repeating the propaganda of "no new infections, third day in a row and all infections there are left were brought in from outside china"

it is 99% bullshit

Scotch

Oct 28, 2017
I have a real mild cough and shortness of breath, only a slight fever. My son also has a fever. I have been extremely diligent in social distancing and washing my hands, I legit could not have done a better job. It's very frustrating.
It's possible you may have been infected two weeks ago, when all these measures weren't even a thing. The incubation period can be really long.

I understand the frustration. But because or your social distancing and hand-washing, you likely infected fewer people yourself, thereby helping everyone. This illustrates why these measures are so important; anyone may be spreading the virus without realizing it.

So you can feel good knowing you did your best. Good health and luck to you and your son!

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been thinking about changes that will come out of this pandemic and I really think this is going to even further accelerate automation. Right now one of our biggest concerns is maintaining supply chains. That's easier to do when we don't need factories and warehouses full of people, or human truck drivers or pilots.

Which then of course begs the question of what happens to those jobs, which comes back to the need for UBI. It's no longer an idealistic notion. It's a necessity.

New industries should arise to facilitate this automation, green energy initiatives etc. sure, it won't be a total replacement but new industries are always being created.

If things do get out of control then I would expect a lot of techno terrorism and sabotage against automated trucks and factories.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
people should stop looking at china numbers, that are not the real numbers at all. western media should also stop repeating the propaganda of "no new infections, third day in a row and all infections there are left were brought in from outside china"

not to mention China is able to shut things down and mobilize a military industrial complex that no western civilization would tolerate.

Hazzuh

Oct 28, 2017
Still find this a very effective visual when discussing the impact to date. Alongside Kurzgesagt's video they've been useful in getting people to take this seriously.

screenshot2020-03-21ac4jmy.png

screenshot2020-03-21awwj37.png

If you follow this guy on twitter you'll get the daily update of that graph. One of the things I think is interesting about it, is you can clearly see that the US has been misreporting the coronavirus deaths as something else until a few days ago, hence their sudden uptick.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
not to mention China is able to shut things down and mobilize a military industrial complex that no western civilization would tolerate.

Then you have South Korea. As far as I know they never even went into lockdown. They just mass tested and as a result they had a period where their numbers ballooned fast, but that's dropped off.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017

it is 99% bullshit

This is also true. Also there's no solace that more are dying than china. It's not a barometer.

Chirotera

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Japan must really want the Olympics to continue..but why though, are they planning to do it WWE style where there's practically no one but a empty audience? lol

Money. These events require an insane amount of community funding for the host city, which regains the cost in tourism and economic activity. To put all of that on hold for a year, is damaging.

They'll close eventually, but it's not surprising if they have to get forced to do so. Holding the Olympics during this is irresponsible.

Oct 25, 2017
Can people fucking stop with garbage like this? No, we're not 'fucked'. Things aren't going great, obviously, but we're not 'fucked'. Humanity is not going to end, civilation will not disappear. Countries and people worldwide are taking action, certain countries better than others, but we're not 'fucked'. This thing will end eventually. Yes, people will die. Many more undoutebly and regretably. But we're not 'fucked'.

In reference to the Netherlands: if numbers continue like this, it's bad. These are also still numbers that exist because they're looking at a period where measures were not introduced yet. It's been a week since the measures have been introduced (and are widely followed). Results of this can be expected next week, probably even the week after that. These numbers are still very much in line with what has been prognosed. You should also look at test numbers, which are mostly limited to health care personnel and those actually badly ill. Many more people have undoutebly have had symptoms and got better, the thing is we don't know that number putting all other numbers in a more negative spotlight.

Yes, it's bad. No, we're not fucked. Stop it.
Maybe you could've not overreacted from my post? I didn't say that all of humanity is going to die or some other similar bullshit. I live in Noord Holland(now the region with the 3rd most amount of cases) and my previous post was a quick reaction to how slow the Dutch government's reaction has been + how there's still many people out there (in NL) that don't care about the situation. I know we're not fucking dying, we're fucked in this case simply means "shit isn't going well at all". Calm down, christ.

Edit: You even said it yourself, "if numbers continue like this, it's bad". That's exactly what I meant.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People need to stop praising China for how they handled the virus. They handled it HORRIBLY and allowed this thing become a worldwide pandemic because they tried to cover it up.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
Germany had a bad SECOND response.
The first response was in January in Bavaria and the response was fucking perfect. the spread was eliminated with just 14 infected. We were at 2 infected and 12 recovered the day before the carnival on the 24th of February.

You can look up every day on https://interaktiv.morgenpost.de/corona-virus-karte-infektionen-deutschland-weltweit/
GERMANY responded horribly. Why? Because they did not have a united responds due to federalism. Even now each state is doing their own bs.

Looking back at how long it went rampant in Bavaria their responds was not bad, they perfected the "slow the curve" Aporoach considering that. That does not help Germany as a whole.

Germany is not Bavaria alone. Even there the actions were hesitant although appropriate for what we knew.

iyox

Oct 25, 2017
Then you have South Korea. As far as I know they never even went into lockdown. They just mass tested and as a result they had a period where their numbers ballooned fast, but that's dropped off.

This will be the story after things hopefully resolve. People came into the US in late January and early February and were never tested. They simply self quarantined and if now symptoms went on their merry way.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Even if Japan manages somehow to go on with the Olympics this year, there will be so many athletes from around the world who will not be able to travel there or be a risk of infection. So why would you push for that, really?

It's dumbfounding.
I've sunk about £20k into tickets / hotels / travel that I may not get back... but yeah, they REALLY need to postpone it at this point. Realistically by a year.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
Number of tests has a direct impact on the death rate. The Us is only testing people who show symptoms, or even only people who need hospitalization. The shadow figure is much higher in the US. If the US would test more, their cases would be 10 times higher and their death rate much lower.
We will see a raise in Death. It's just a matter of time.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe you could've not overreacted from my post?
No, this is on you. We're living in stressful, scary times and all comments like yours do is add unneeded fuel to the fire. What else can we conclude from: 'We're fucked :/' There's absolutely 0 reason to come out with one liners like that. People are legit scared, we have posts on this very forum of people having mental breakdowns and unable to function properly out of fear of this virus.

We do not need crap like comments in the same trend as 'We're fucked', period.

Xequalsy

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

It's dumbfounding.
It's insane, because the worldwide lock-down and social distancing is making it harder for athletes to train effectively anyway. And meanwhile the uncertainty is going to cause more athletes to try and train for it anyway, putting them at risk.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
Germany is not in lockdown yet wtf? Canada has been closing everything down since even before the past Monday

SmokeMaxX

Oct 25, 2017
People need to stop praising China for how they handled the virus. They handled it HORRIBLY and allowed this thing become a worldwide pandemic because they tried to cover it up.
China didn't handle it perfectly. What's more mindblowing are countries like the US who are doing even worse even with all the advanced notice from all the other countries. It looks like we should all have followed the South Korean model.

Oct 25, 2017
No, this is on you. We're living in stressful, scary times and all comments like yours do is add unneeded fuel to the fire. What else can we conclude from: 'We're fucked :/' There's absolutely 0 reason to come out with one liners like that. People are legit scared, we have posts on this very forum of people having mental breakdowns and unable to function properly out of fear of this virus.

We do not need crap like comments in the same trend as 'We're fucked', period.
A perfectly fair point and I do agree that it was a little too much but you're definitely overreacting here as well. Let's just both stop. No need to argue over something so meaningless.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
if we can get tests and have them done at scale like SK, that would be the best option for western countries as we're def still in a period of exponential growth

www.youtube.com

Exponential growth and epidemics

A primer on exponential and logistic growthHelp fund future projects: https://www.patreon.com/3blue1brownAn equally valuable form of support is to simply sha...

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
It would be nice if the mods would start taking action on drive-by "we're fucked" and doom posts.

Fractology

Oct 28, 2017
???
Thats not true at all, they were very forthcoming about it and did the best they could

They were only forthcoming once it was leaking to the rest of the world that this was happening. During the super critical early stages of this, they tried to cover it up and not let information get out. Obviously, there was uncertainty as to what this was at the beginning (but there have been confirmed reports from doctors being suppressed when they were trying to get the word out).

I will admit that what they appear to be doing now seems good...but I also don't believe shit from state media coming from China.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
???
Thats not true at all, they were very forthcoming about it and did the best they could
This disease started in November, not January. They were forthcoming after the damage had already been done. But in December, when it had already started to become a local pandemic, instead of working to contain it, they covered it up so it wouldn't affect the Chinese New Year celebrations in a few weeks.

The western world was obviously not prepared nearly enough even with the advanced notice, but seriously China did not handle this well.

mozbar

Feb 20, 2018
Japan must really want the Olympics to continue..but why though, are they planning to do it WWE style where there's practically no one but a empty audience? lol

A lot of the economic activity in the past few years has been geared towards the Rugby World Cup, the Olympics and the 2025 Expo.

They're too afraid of the severe economic impact that is likely to occur without the Olympics. Prior to the pandemic, they were expecting 9 million people during the Olympic season. It's a clear casr of money > lives.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
China didn't handle it perfectly. What's more mindblowing are countries like the US who are doing even worse even with all the advanced notice from all the other countries. It looks like we should all have followed the South Korean model.

well policy makers seem to have just ignored everythiing the intelligence community warned about in jan/feb so here we are

DrewFu

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
???
Are you being serious right now? China knew about the virus for MONTHS before they did anything, in an attempt to suppress that they were having yet another outbreak. China is directly responsible for this virus infecting humans, and its international spread.

When the dust settles, the Chinese government deserves to be crucified for this virus.

Last edited:

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Mass testing
Cellphone tracking
Contract tracing (using cctv, credit cards etc)
Temperature checks in every building and mass transit
I believe they also have some pretty strict isolation procedures.
A society that doesn't shun masks.

Americans wouldn't stand for cellphone tracking. And not sure we even have enough bodies or tools for the contact tracing.

Asian countries definitely have a leg up on the western world because they had SARS etc.

They also as a whole seem to have citizens willing to abide by these things.

Oct 27, 2017
It would be nice if the mods would start taking action on drive-by "we're fucked" and doom posts.

This thread has been monitored the whole way. A lot of things would be nice to have right now. Report what you see as problematic and we'll take a look when we can. Other than that, keep the lanes clear so people can discuss the pandemic. Thank you.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
I'm afraid we are in Italy's path but at a larger scale due to our population.

Even with all of the latest closures and people being asked to stay home, in Central Texas there are packed lines outside of grocery stores which is a weekly thing for a lot of people, people still throwing parties and going out. Once there is community spread in the area these 2 things alone will keep it adding 25 to 30% cases per day.

MrCinos

Oct 26, 2017
Russia numbers:

306 infected (+53 cases last 24 hours)
0 dead
16 recovered

we had 30+, 20+ and last two days 50+ daily increases. Testing is done very slowly though, only one lab in Siberia can do it, people wait 5+ days for the result. My city has two ongoing cases too, so I'm worried. Local government is doing better job than I thought it'd do, but a bit too late and general population doesn't really care about it. So many comments from people thinking it's a hoax, not as bad as flu, masks are not needed/useless, etc.

Last edited:

DrewFu

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
This thread has been monitored the whole way. A lot of things would be nice to have right now. Report what you see as problematic and we'll take a look when we can. Other than that, keep the lanes clear so people can discuss the pandemic. Thank you.
Fair enough.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I'm afraid we are in Italy's path but at a larger scale due to our population.

Even with all of the latest closures and people being asked to stay home, in Central Texas there are packed lines outside of grocery stores which is a weekly thing for a lot of people, people still throwing parties and going out. Once there is community spread in the area these 2 things alone will keep it adding 25 to 30% cases per day.

Tell me about it....our local stores RIGHT NOW has large lines.

You can also forget about social distancing....that doesnt exist here in Texas lol.

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The government suppressed a lot of information initially.

Also in this thread, it's already been proven than the robots aren't coming for our jobs, and any actual advances in automation are also on pause during this crisis.

It's not so black and white.

Yes they did some cover op at start but honestly if the data is correct it took about 1 month for them to detect the illness as something worrying

After that they informed who immediately.

And of course they started with half hassed contain measure before the lock down, but that was before the data of contagion rate was available.

Blame them for the wild animal trade, but the other country readyness its their own problem. Us cdc know that there was a Sars like illness at end of December.

Nilson

Nov 5, 2017
Man, I know this thread is not doing me any good for my mental health but I just can't stop. I don't know why but I keep refreshing it hoping to see some good news or a glimmer of hope at least. My wife got laid-off this week so right now i'm the only source of income for us and our two children. I'm the only one who ventures out the house to go to work or to get groceries and I'm terrified of catching it on the street and unknowingly transmitting it to her since she has asthma.
Anyways, sorry Era, I know this is not the place. I'm just venting. I needed to get this off my chest.
I feel the same way : / stay strong dude

DrewFu

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
User Banned (3 Months): Dismissing Concerns of Xenophobia Over Multiple Posts; Prior Severe Infraction.

Yes they did some cover op at start but honestly if the data is correct it took about 1 month for them to detect the illness as something worrying

And of course they started with half hassed contain measure before the lock down, but that was before the data of contagion rate was available.

Blame them for the wild animal trade, but the other country readyness its their own problem. Us cdc know that there was a Sars like illness at end of December.
It is absolutely black and white. China is directly responsible for the virus spreading to humans in the first place because of their barbaric wild animal markets. China is directly responsible for the virus getting out of control in China because they did nothing for MONTHS in an attempt to suppress the news. Because China did nothing for months, they are also directly responsible for the international spread of the virus.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017

Yes, countries are responsible for their own readiness and response.

Mindman

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Russia numbers:

306 infected (+53 cases last 14 hours)
0 dead
16 recovered

we had 30+, 20+ and last two days 50+ daily increases. Testing is done very slowly though, only one lab in Siberia can do it, people wait 5+ days for the result. My city has two ongoing cases too, so I'm worried. Local government is doing better job than I thought it'd do, but a bit too late and general population doesn't really care about it. So many comments from people thinking it's a hoax, not as bad as flu, masks are not needed/useless, etc.

Thanks for sharing this. You guys are still early, but maybe Putin's surveillance state will acrually help with any upcoming lockdowns... as bad as that is to say.