• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
This was my hometown this week. People think that quarantine is some kind of vacation

S73neMs.png

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
What the FUCK? This is something I expect from Orange County, not LA...
They're just making official something that is already happening.

We do not have the ability to test people in this country. There are too few tests, and they take too long to process. You cannot ask a provider to dedicate time and energy to trying to chase down a lead that will never materialize.

By the time you get results for your patient today, you'll have 10 patients with the same symptoms, all needing the same test that nobody can get (and by the time their results are back, you now have 50 patients).

The official number of 17K cases is a fraction of the true number of infected. We let this thing spread unchecked for too long, and now there's no hope of containment through testing and tracing (it still needs to be done, but it cannot be a priority for healthcare providers at this point). Which is why the entire state, and likely soon the country, is under a shelter-in-place order: we know this thing is out there, but we have no idea where and don't have the means to find out.

rainking187

Oct 25, 2017
Cool, ordered some groceries for pickup last week, today was the first time they had available to pick them up, was told they were overwhelmed by orders so they just cancelled them all. Thanks for letting me know in advance assholes.

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
Sigh. I have no hope that we'll get through this together. Nobody gives a shit about anyone but themselves. Too many people will die.

Deleted member 13155

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

FunkyMonkey

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sigh. I have no hope that we'll get through this together. Nobody gives a shit about anyone but themselves. Too many people will die.

www.politico.com

Coronavirus Will Change the World Permanently. Here’s How.

A crisis on this scale can reorder society in dramatic ways, for better or worse. Here are 34 big thinkers’ predictions for what’s to come.

yes a lot people are going to die, but we as a people have a solid chance of the next leap being in a much better direction

someone should make a thread on the article, I thought it was great personally

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
www.politico.com

Coronavirus Will Change the World Permanently. Here’s How.

A crisis on this scale can reorder society in dramatic ways, for better or worse. Here are 34 big thinkers’ predictions for what’s to come.

yes a lot people are going to die, but we as a people have a solid chance of the next leap being in a much better direction

someone should make a thread on the article, I thought it was great personally
Would be great if there was a greater appreciation and acceptation of science. Less nonsense would be a breath of fresh air. Biggest part of the world seems to rather live a lie. That is probably my biggest wish. That people listen to real scientific authorities on the matters at hand more.

Naru

May 11, 2019
So I am reading about that anti-body test the FDA approved. How exactly will this work? I mean not the test but will they make this mandatory? Will they test everyone and the people that test positive, meaning they had COVID-19 already get a chip implemented or a card or whatever and get shoved back into the system? And then for everything you need to show your card before you enter, when you leave the house and go somewhere. And the people with no anti-bodies stay at home forever? Until there is a vaccine? How the fuck is this going to work? This has really some dystopian implications.

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I predict curfews in Germany starting Monday.
It just seems to be the way this is going
Aaaand, it's done. The city of Dresden just announced (loose) "curfew" for two weeks, starting one hour from now.

You can still go buy groceries and do sport activities strictly by yourself. But no more visiting friends etc.

Sucks but about time. Some ignorant people just need to be forced to do the right thing.

Watta92

Nov 8, 2019
Hey everyone, i have a question.

Both my parents are 59 at the moment and don't have any medical history. My girlfriend and i got a baby 6 months ago very lovely but my gf got post natal depression and she is still recovering from it. I'm a student with a part time job at a cafe so i won't get any money at the moment. My gf parents both died at a young age so they are not in the picture

Usually we go to my parents 3 times a week to eat and so my mom can help out my gf where ever she can and to help us financly because college+baby+threatment is expensive. We do get some help from the government but it isn't a lot and we can not really buy 7 days a week worth of food even if i can work.

Would it still be save to go to my parents? We arent't allowed to get money gifts on out bank accounts because then our financial aid from the government will be cut and that isn't a ideal option.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Just got this message on Bumble discouraging folks from meeting in-person for the time being. I wonder if other dating apps will recommend similar precautions.

WTm17ev.jpg

elty

Oct 31, 2017
Hey everyone, i have a question.

Both my parents are 59 at the moment and don't have any medical history. My girlfriend and i got a baby 6 months ago very lovely but my gf got post natal depression and she is still recovering from it. I'm a student with a part time job at a cafe so i won't get any money at the moment. My gf parents both died at a young age so they are not in the picture

Usually we go to my parents 3 times a week to eat and so my mom can help out my gf where ever she can and to help us financly because college+baby+threatment is expensive. We do get some help from the government but it isn't a lot and we can not really buy 7 days a week worth of food even if i can work.

Would it still be save to go to my parents? We arent't allowed to get money gifts on out bank accounts because then our financial aid from the government will be cut and that isn't a ideal option.
They can buy online and the ship it to you right? Our send you supermarket gift cards. Unless it is urgent don't visit them.

elty

Oct 31, 2017
So I am reading about that anti-body test the FDA approved. How exactly will this work? I mean not the test but will they make this mandatory? Will they test everyone and the people that test positive, meaning they had COVID-19 already get a chip implemented or a card or whatever and get shoved back into the system? And then for everything you need to show your card before you enter, when you leave the house and go somewhere. And the people with no anti-bodies stay at home forever? Until there is a vaccine? How the fuck is this going to work? This has really some dystopian implications.
You are thinking too much. An antibody test is just a faster screening method for now.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
Someone I went to college with is a chef in Florida and he posted about how he had to lay off 80% of his staff. Then he got the news that Florida governor banned all on-site dining so now he's likely out of work as well for the time being.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So barring a Vaccine. What would be the way to suppress this in the short term that doesn't involve locking down for 18 months?

I know rigorous testing is one of them but also a potentially effective treatment, higher hygiene standards, and acceptance of face masks should be helpful to regain normalcy right?

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
I know we'll survive, but not thanks to humans. The virus just can't kill off our entire population. No lessons will be learned from this and we'll run into the same problems the next pandemic.
Humanity never fully learns but each time I'd say the line moves up an inch. I believe our society is indeed better than the one we had 100 years ago, and 200 years ago, and on. But nothing, not even a deity coming down and changing our rules forever, can change the human nature.

Watta92

Nov 8, 2019
They can buy online and the ship it to you right? Our send you supermarket gift cards. Unless it is urgent don't visit them.

The country is going crazy and all timeslots from the grocery stores till april are booked so home delivery isn't a option at the moment . I could ask for gift cards that is a great idea.

I'm also worried about my gf my moms help with the baby has been a great help for her and while she is really happy i am home at the moment she was getting used to how it was going and i'm worried for a relapse. My daugter was born premature and she couldn't handle the stress ( don't really know the right english word).

I just hope i can somehow explain it to her.

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
So barring a Vaccine. What would be the way to suppress this in the short term that doesn't involve locking down for 18 months?

I know rigorous testing is one of them but also a potentially effective treatment, higher hygiene standards, and acceptance of face masks should be helpful to regain normalcy right?
Why be against quarantine?

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I mean there's a bunch of reasons why being in Quarantine isn't an attractive prospect for 18 months. I'm just asking if those things would be enough to let people live their lives without shutting themselves in their homes. A quarantine is important right now and necessary for the next 1-3 months but surely we can hope for better right?

Lucky Forward

Oct 27, 2017
So I bought a new Jeep last month, and now I got an email from Mopar using the coronavirus to try to sell me extended warranties:

GO FOR IT. WE'VE GOT YOUR BACK.

XXXXX, with so many customers working from home online sales have sky rocketed. Amazon alone is hiring 100,000 new distribution workers to keep up with online shopping surge "New York( CNN Business )"

Mopar Direct will be following this trend adding staff to keep up with the increase in sales and service after the sale. Our #1 goal is to make sure your vehicle is protected and give you peace of mind, all while saving you money! Our customers come first even during trying times.

$75.00 Down payments on all New Car plans & deffered [sic] payments for 45 days! All at 0%! Must have less than 36,000 miles to qualify, no credit check is needed!

First responders, Military veterans active, retired & prior service receive additional discounts,thank you for your sacrifice.

Deleted member 33082

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 14, 2017
I mean there's a bunch of reasons why being in Quarantine isn't an attractive prospect for 18 months. I'm just asking if those things would be enough to let people live their lives without shutting themselves in their homes. A quarantine is important right now and necessary for the next 1-3 months but surely we can hope for better right?
I assume a home antibody test + some sort of automatic reporting of positivity (through an app) + contact tracing for these cases
would be a game changer. But who knows, may take longer than a vaccine before a functioning one is mass produced

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017

Rigorous testing and possible intermittent lock downs if cases get above a certain threshold.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco

The best bet really is one of those antivirals or other drugs working.

Cap'n Cook

Oct 25, 2017
This has probably been discussed on here already but how much of the current status of Italy had to do in part of their very family oriented culture? It's very common for 3 generations to live under the same roof, the younger generation did what young people do, went out and socialized and brought the virus to their older family members.

Also, I'm sure the way Italians greet friends and family with kisses on the cheek helped spread the virus. I wonder if there will be some cultural changes to Italy at the end of this.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017

A treatment effective enough to tackle most of the cases that require hospitalization now.

Everybody would be crazy. People have certain needs, and skin contact is a huge one. A lot of people would suffer from touch deprivation. This causes among other things stress and depression.

Sendero

Oct 25, 2017
There is a videophone call video from a girl in Puebla, whom narrates how she got sick in USA (without knowing), and now that she returned, her whole family (beyond home) and accompanying friends are sick, and given that she went out multiple times, likely disseminated it even more.

Who knows how many stories like that.

alienups

Oct 31, 2017
I woke up last friday with a sore threat and increased temperature. Throat got worse over the next couple of days, fever at night too, over 38c/100.4 Fahrenheit, my pillows were soaked etc but my throat started clearing up earlier this week, coughed up some secretion, never had a deep/dry cough.

When i wake up my temperature is fine but it slowly starts building up till about 37.5c as the day goes on but that's not really a bad fever. Went to my local doctor last thursday to be sure who had a special room for potential corona patients and my blood oxygen levels were great and my lungs sounded great too.

Now, it could be that i just have a viral throat infection, which can last up to 10 days or so but is it possible that i have corona and im almost clear ?

Im a type 2 diabetic with a history of obesity and smoking so the last week has been absolute hell for me and im mentally breaking.

alienups

Oct 31, 2017
I mean, youre not absolutely guaranteed to get really really sick even if you have underlying problems right ?

sorry for double post, having a rough time

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
A treatment effective enough to tackle most of the cases that require hospitalization now.
So you think those old Ebola/Malaria drugs that were mentioned in other threads, if found to be effective as a treatment, means we won't have to deal with suppression cycles for 1.5 years?