• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mercurial

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A lot of Americans seem to be fine with the federal government's hands-off approach. I wonder how long this will last as states become overwhelmed.

Many will feel this way until their community hospitals are hopelessly overrun and local news agencies begin reporting that people are being outright refused entry at the door.

It's going to take a few months before people realize how badly we botched this.

Deleted member 35478

User-requested account closure
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
How has Japan managed to not have a massive pandemic right now? Seems like business as usual, mass transit operating, trains full of people etc.

SayemAhmd

Unshakable Resolve
Dec 3, 2019
So over the last week or so I have been fighting a pretty nasty dry cough, bouts of a fever and really scary breathlessness. On day 7 of self-isolation now.

I first started showing when I felt a bit strange at the end of last week, and as soon as I developed a cough this past weekend I holed up. My boss was sick from work with the same symptoms but more severe. She's in her mid-30s and I am in my mid-20s. My cough started to get worse and I had a temperature on and off on Monday and Tuesday, but by Wednesday I had turned a corner. Throughout this whole time my boss was bedridden.

Through the latter half of this week the cough has gotten less persistent, but the breathlessness remains. My boss has thankfully turned a corner and her symptoms have started to clear up. My partner is starting to show signs, even though we were sleeping in separate beds and rooms. Just got to hole up and be good to each other through it. It can affect everyone differently, so please be careful everyone!

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
OK, sorry for the hefty reaction. Its fucking chaos and Im on edge.
No worries. I completely understand how you feel right now. Hang in there. You're doing a fantastic job.

I wish governments stocked up on medical supplies sooner before the outbreaks collapsed production and logistics. It's frankly ridiculous hospitals have to ration crucial supplies right now.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
I was just about to comment on Germany. I'm still not sure I buy their death numbers. Obviously there are a lot of variables that determine death rate, but Germany's seems impossibly low.
I've read they're not counting deaths with other pathologies as caused by coronavirus.

This is wrong. RKI Spokesman just today explained that every person who died that had the virus is counted as a COVID-19 Death.

To top that off, Germany has ludicrous testing numbers. This week alone they tested about 160K people. For reference, until yesterday Italy did about 180K tests, total.
What i'm saying that in contrast to other Countries, the number of Infected could be very near to the number of confirmed cases.

To top that off, the president of the RKI said that in Germany about 80% of the infeted people are younger than 50.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
434 cases in Chile, again 100 new cases. Tomorrow we should see a big jump.

Still no drastic measures taken. Govt started closing restaurants, cinemas, theatres and the like today.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
So over the last week or so I have been fighting a pretty nasty dry cough, bouts of a fever and really scary breathlessness. On day 7 of self-isolation now.

I first started showing when I felt a bit strange at the end of last week, and as soon as I developed a cough this past weekend I holed up. My boss was sick from work with the same symptoms but more severe. She's in her mid-30s and I am in my mid-20s. My cough started to get worse and I had a temperature on and off on Monday and Tuesday, but by Wednesday I had turned a corner. Throughout this whole time my boss was bedridden.

Through the latter half of this week the cough has gotten less persistent, but the breathlessness remains. My boss has thankfully turned a corner and her symptoms have started to clear up. My partner is starting to show signs, even though we were sleeping in separate beds and rooms. Just got to hole up and be good to each other through it. It can affect everyone differently, so please be careful everyone!
Get a pulse oximeter if you find it scary. For some reason they're still totally affordable if you buy them online. They're also used in hospitals and are the main telltale if you need to be admitted or not. If your SpO2 drops below 94 you may be developing pneumonia. Every time I felt a bit breathless I was very comforted to find out my blood oxygen levels were still at a very healthy 98.

Dodongo

Oct 25, 2017

Good luck dude!

We are thinking of you

ZedLilIndPum

Oct 27, 2017
Here in the US I get the sense that the GOP is moving towards defining an "acceptable" level of death just as long as people can go back to work sooner to boost the stock market back up. See, e.g., the WSJ editorial. Essentially they're saying low-interest government debt is worse than overflowing morgues.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York

It's just been fever for me. Every day for over a week.And slight burning when I breathe.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
How has Japan managed to not have a massive pandemic right now? Seems like business as usual, mass transit operating, trains full of people etc.
Japan is somewhat corrupt and is probably cooking the books a bit, but the country is also standard the most germophobe of any nation. No handshaking or close proximity were the norm, people are already wearing mouth masks everywhere, sanitization is extremely clean and everything is constantly getting washed.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Japan is generally pretty clean and whenever I've been there, besides the close quarters, people tended to not really touch one another. It could also be cooked books before the Olympics or they're at a stage where they're telling folks to not come to the hospital or clinics with flu like systems as they'll be sent home to just rest. I think a lot of countries are extremely paranoid (not to say they shouldn't), but the overall fear mongering about this is probably causing such a bottleneck with medical resources that it actually becomes detrimental to clearing up this pandemic. If folks with mild symptoms just stayed home and didn't bother nurses, pharmacists, doctors, etc. then it'd be easier to handle, but it seems (based off 811 in BC, Canada -- they get well over 2500 calls a day) that people with mild symptoms are scared and paranoid and are taking up a lot of time.

Oct 25, 2017
Japan is somewhat corrupt and is probably cooking the books a bit, but the country is also standard the most germophobe of any nation. No handshaking or close proximity were the norm, people are already wearing mouth masks everywhere, sanitization is extremely clean and everything is constantly getting washed.

probably also a bit of trying to protect their industries from getting another big hit like with the tsunami.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Here in the US I get the sense that the GOP is moving towards defining an "acceptable" level of death just as long as people can go back to work sooner to boost the stock market back up. See, e.g., the WSJ editorial. Essentially they're saying low-interest government debt is worse than overflowing morgues.

Economic liberalism at it's best.

This century will be really different

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
Couple things, our communities rally around small business has been nothing short of amazing. I was talking to a small restaurant owner when picking up food last night and he mentioned the local court houses made an announcement to please patronize the local businesses and it was having a big effect on their lunch time pick-ups. He also said that our downtown committee newsletter announcing which restaurants are open and special deliveries they are making outside the scope of GrubHub has caused their nightly orders to go UP from before the shutdown was implemented. All the business are offering really customized delivery that they normally don't even do. Our donut shop that usually has never delivered and usually has a line out the door is doing personal deliveries in a 10 mile radius. I have a real strong sense our community is going to rally (on top of our city's pledge for interest free small business loans) and be able to ride this out.

Second thing, our test site is running low on tests. They've been able to test all week, albeit slowly and we're still waiting for results, but they may run out of kits soon.

I know I know, post my location, but I prefer to keep my location anonymous when I can. I'll just say it's Central/Upstate NY.

Oct 27, 2017

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
I give it a couple of days before the US just says fuck it who cares if millions die let's just return back to business as usual.

iyox

Oct 25, 2017
It specifically says you need special plastic/resin with some sort of copper additive, so no one should be printing these at work or at home.

Ahh you are right; "Manufactured with PLACTIVE® an innovative Nanocomposite developed with a high quality PLA and a patented, scientifically validated and highly effective Nano-Copper additive."

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, I'm starting to lose my mind. I think I'm going to make my first trip to a store since my job closed earlier this week. I'm going to be a quick as possible & continue to practice social distancing.