• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017
No college graduation commencement for me, no last few months of class and fun. What are the chances my super fun summer camp job that starts in June gets bagged(in Pennsylvania)? Really relying on that to end this part of my life more fittingly, it's a super fun time

June 2020? not looking good

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
That's the thing. Either through culture or sheer luck, the virus has not spread in Japan enough for all the hospitals to be overrun or for the coronavirus to be cropping up to a significant degree in all areas. Hokkaido individually issued a state of emergency nearly a month ago when there were confirmed cases, urging people in that region to stay inside, and it has evidently been working since Japan isn't currently having an Italy situation. I do not think the virus has run rampant to a significant degree yet, because not only are there still enough hospital beds, but the governors are actually monitoring the situation in their prefectures and willing to declare states of emergencies when needed (I.e. when the amount of coronavirus patients that require critical care in an area reaches a certain threshold). If a region declares a state of emergency and still has those crowds, THAT's when we ought to be worried.
Japan, culturally, tends to naturally preserve itself from the spread of airborne viruses in many ways. People don't talk to each other on public transportation. Wearing masks is incredibly common when someone feels unwell, even on a normal day. Coughs and sneezes are always covered. Shaking hands and hugging is not common at all.

StonerSage

Banned
Sep 22, 2019
Just got a frantic call from my parents. They said they got a message that Trump is going to invoke the Stafford Act within the next 48-72 hrs. National lockdown, deploying Nat'l Guard. They are freaking out and begging me to come home and stay with them. It's made my anxiety crazy; I live like an hour 30 from them.

from what I am seeing that is the last thing they want to do. This theory has been going around since 2015 maybe even earlier.

Vestal

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa FL
This right now is window dressing. They are trying to calm the markets with this presser.

I am not really sure this is a wise approach. Quell fears ok, but don't over promise right now.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whoever originated that Stafford Act rumor (if they could even be found) needs to be sent to prison.

nexus

Oct 25, 2017
I just want to know about testing. Who am I kidding though, they've said we'd have testing for weeks.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017

What what? There are a lot of comments in this thread especially during the American day time about cures. I understand the need for hope, but promoting information that is not officially confirmed by medical authorities or WHO does more damage than helps. Which is exactly what Trump also does.

There's a cure, case closed, no need to worry about COVID anymore. /s

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Just got a frantic call from my parents. They said they got a message that Trump is going to invoke the Stafford Act within the next 48-72 hrs. National lockdown, deploying Nat'l Guard. They are freaking out and begging me to come home and stay with them. It's made my anxiety crazy; I live like an hour 30 from them.
Stafford Act was already invoked a week or so ago. As for the possibility of a national lockdown, nobody knows. It certainly could be on the table. But the idea that "messages" are going out about it are kind of weird.

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018
Japan, culturally, tends to naturally preserve itself from the spread of airborne viruses in many ways. People don't talk to each other on public transportation. Wearing masks is incredibly common when someone feels unwell, even on a normal day. Coughs and sneezes are always covered. Shaking hands and hugging is not common at all.

I think that's been a great help to keep the virus in check.

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
What what? There are a lot of comments in this thread especially during the American day time about cures. I understand the need for hope, but promoting information that is not officially confirmed by medical authorities or WHO does more damage than helps. Which is exactly what Trump also does.

There's a cure, case closed, no need to worry about COVID anymore. /s

Ah got it, agreed.

iyox

Oct 25, 2017
This public/private partnership is BS. The lag time is 2 days for results. After this is all over the rationale behind using quest and labcorp needs to be investigated.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Stafford Act was already invoked a week or so ago. As for the possibility of a national lockdown, nobody knows. It certainly could be on the table. But the idea that "messages" are going out about it are kind of weird.

A "national lockdown," should such a thing even be legal (and it probably isn't), would be the same in the US as it is in other countries: you're not supposed to leave your house unless you're going to work, the grocery store, or buying gas or other essentials, which isn't all that different from how many people are already living their lives. False rumors like the Stafford one are meant to evoke imagery of military patrols and people being shot for leaving their homes or whatever, meant to deliberately provoke panic and fearmongering.

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
What's the best/worst case scenarios for American death counts by the end of this

HammerOfThor

Oct 26, 2017
A "national lockdown," should such a thing even be legal (and it probably isn't), would be the same in the US as it is in other countries: you're not supposed to leave your house unless you're going to work, the grocery store, or buying gas or other essentials, which isn't all that different from how many people are already living their lives. False rumors like the Stafford one are meant to evoke imagery of military patrols and people being shot for leaving their homes or whatever, meant to deliberately provoke panic and fearmongering.
Someone should threadmark this or put it in the OP so it's clear. My friend sent me that message on Sunday, and I knew it was BS, but I still kinda freaked and went to the store just in case.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Someone should threadmark this or put it in the OP so it's clear. My friend sent me that message on Sunday, and I knew it was BS, but I still kinda freaked and went to the store just in case.

What needs to happen is this thread needs to be closed and remade (we're at 650 pages now) with an informative OP that contains an FAQ debunking common rumors (no, you probably can't be reinfected; no, Trump is not declaring a lockdown; etc). People who do not read that OP, violate the rules, or otherwise post misinformation need to be banned. Mods have completely abandoned this thread despite the threadmark warning. We need to start over.

Numberfox

Aug 5, 2018

The citizens properly heeding government recommendations and not being flippant about it probably helps. To compare to the US, it'd be like if the majority in a single state actually followed the governor's call to lockdown, without the portion that decides to fly to a Texas/Florida Beach to party, most likely contract something if not spread it, then flying back and making the lockdown a lot less effective.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
Africa sees 'extremely rapid evolution' of pandemic, UN says

www.klfy.com

Africa sees ‘extremely rapid evolution’ of pandemic, UN says

JOHANNESBURG (AP) — More African countries closed their borders Thursday as the coronavirus’ local spread threatened to turn the continent of 1.3 billion people into an alarming new front for the p…
11 in Rwanda as of yesterday. Needless to say that their healthcare system cannot cope with this. A lot of old people are going to die earlier than they should, people who've already gone through so much hardship.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
What's the best/worst case scenarios for American death counts by the end of this
If we want an absolutely worst case scenario making unreasonable assumptions? Total population of the country multiplied by Italy's nearly 10% death rate. I don't think it'll be that, but I have a panicky brain that forces me to confront the idea on a daily basis.

A good-ish scenario would be 40% of the population times 1-3%.

Don't want to think about "best," it's not going to happen and we shouldn't hope for it.

This is all very rough back of the envelope math based on the projections and numbers available so far. It's uncharted territory, nobody really knows where this thing is going.

Last edited:

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
So, how do I know if the fatigue im feeling is from messed up sleep cycle (was on the west coast like 4 days ago, three hour difference) or if it's early symptoms of COVID?
I did travel to San Fran, Seattle and Portland in the last 10 days..

I don't have healthcare (afaik, might have some with the VA tho) and I don't want to stress the system. I'm not coughing and I don't know if it's worth going to the market to get a temperature checker.
my nose feels a bit clogged up too
No sneezing