• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
Soooo my daughter was with her grandma last week...And said grandma is showing some symptoms (aching throat, joints and feels exhausted

...Could it be?

She hasn't been tested yet. She had guests from bavaria a little more than week ago and my daughter was there...

In short: should I self-quarantine now??? Because that's what I think makes sense now. I would have to call work for home office -_- Today and yesterday I had to stay home, parenting, anyway.
In November my mom had an MS flare that caused a seizure while she was visiting for Thanksgiving. She was hospitalized for over a week. Since she still lived in the tiny ass rural village I grew up in, the decision was made for her and my step dad to move in with us. My brother in law was already living with us.
So now, my house contains:
Three healthy teens
1 43 year, obese and with gout
1 42 year old, functional alcoholic, also with gout
Me, 38, with autoimmune diseases
1 73 year on blood thinners
My mom, 68, with active MS

I am really worried. Currently the only people leaving the house are my husband and his brother for work, but
Yeah. Ended up being the worst time to move the parents in.

Whatever decision you make, godspeed

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I fear the actual number in the UK is going to be crazy high. I've been on phone support for my company this week as the phone lines are crazy busy and I've spoke to lots and lots of people that have called the NHS with symptoms and just been told to Self isolate with zero test. One particular chap was coughing so much that it was hard for him to get a word in with me.

Nimmermehr

Oct 27, 2017
I've been checking in daily for TP at my local supermarket. No dice. (Netherlands)

9289e82af839fe22b28a1b350f4812fb85e6aa0e_hq.gif

Two rolls left. Dawn of the final week.
Best post in a long time! Thanks for making me laugh :)

Musician

Oct 29, 2017
Sweden
Latest from Sweden is that the ministry of health is expecting a large increase of cases in Stockholm in the coming days. It it not adviced to go travel to or from the major cities at the moment, mainly to limit the geographical spread.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
As expected my father in law isn't following self quarantine in Canada even though he flew in from Florida yesterday.

Asked if he could come over and he was offended and hung up when we said no.

My dad on the other hand is a nurse and came and brought me some masks he had at home lol.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
An article about the state of Japan at the moment. Link is in the tweet; for those who want a more condensed summary, there's a thread below. Pretty interesting stuff.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
i think the economies will collapse in this scenario. this reads like massive jobless people.

I rather not imagine what this would mean. If the economy collapses, it will only take so long until people can't pay their rent or home anymore. I have no idea how all of this would untold but that's not something I want to think about right now. Because if we go that way of thinking you're gonna start living in fear and that really won't help anyone and anything.

Hrothgar

Nov 6, 2017
I am German and was told that I won't be tested right now as I only have mild symptoms.

Everything that moves was ofcourse an exageration, but to compare, as of two days ago the Netherlands has tested somewhere between 12000 and 22000 (the maximum, keeping with the ~8% positive rate for tests mentioned by the RIVM for non-targeted testing), of which at that time 1705 were positive. On a per population basis, Germany has tested way more extensively.

EDIT: accidentaly used data from two different days.

Last edited:

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018
An Italian town tested all 3,300 residents, found 3% positive and 1.5% asymptomatic. After quarantining them and their contacts, it cut new COVID-19 cases to zero.

This is how you stop a Pandemic: YOU TEST AS MANY PEOPLE AS YOU CAN, and I used caps because our governments should all learn this lesson for the next one in the future.

Last edited:

Naru

May 11, 2019
Just heard on the local radio station that a lot of locations that do tests in larger cities here in Germany are starting to run out of PPE and can no longer test. Also apparently you will not get tested if you have all he symptoms if you can not proof (what?!) that you had contact with someone that tested positive. Take it with a grain of salt since it was just on local news radio.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
This is how you stop a Pandemic: YOU TEST AS MUCH PEOPLE AS YOU CAN, and I used caps because our governments should all learn this lesson for the next one in the future.
The problem is that at the moment, nobody can test more because of shortages in testing equipment. It would be perfect if you could quarantine an entire country one week, and just test everybody.

Twenty Three

Oct 28, 2017
I rather not imagine what this would mean. If the economy collapses, it will only take so long until people can't pay their rent or home anymore. I have no idea how all of this would untold but that's not something I want to think about right now. Because if we go that way of thinking you're gonna start living in fear and that really won't help anyone and anything.

I live in Asia, and the past two weeks I have been working like a dog. It has been the busiest March in 3 years, with an avalanche of PRC deals, and regional private equity (who are notoriously sensitive to liquidity, crisis and pricing) being quite active.

I have no god like understanding of why this is, but my supposition is that, following three months of down time, and given the region is now managed (rather than unmanageable), there is a pent up demand and bounceback.

That suggests to me that, notwithstanding economic fears, it will actually be better for the West in 2-3 months. Think of it like an extended holiday (a bit like how France shuts down for the whole of August) with a real desire to do business and get back to work after it.

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
An Italian town tested all 3,300 residents, found 3% positive and 1.5% asymptomatic. After quarantining them and their contacts, it cut new COVID-19 cases to zero.

This is how you stop a Pandemic: YOU TEST AS MUCH PEOPLE AS YOU CAN, and I used caps because our governments should all learn this lesson for the next one in the future.

Wow, a small town has tested more than my country. Apparently Finland has the capacity to test 1500/day but only has tested 3000 total.

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
From an ER doc at Baylor.

I know I've been uncharacteristically silent about the coronavirus, but I've had enough at this point. The number of people who call this "media hysteria" or a "political hoax" or want to point out the mortality rates of the flu, cancer, or obesity...do you want to come work my shifts? Do you want to expose yourself to patients in respiratory failure day after day? When we run out of ICU beds and vents, do you want the responsibility of telling your mom, dad, aunts, uncles, friends, and family that I can't intubate them because we just don't have the resources? Do you want to tell the kids of 30 and 40 year old patients that their parent is going to die and we can't do anything to stop it? Do you want to look at the parents of a 20 something year old and tell them their previously healthy son or daughter might not survive? Because these are REAL possibilities. This is ACTUALLY what is happening around the world.

This American superiority complex of "it's just not going to affect me the same way" is gross. There have been multiple projections that this could infect 40-70% of the population. While it's hard to extrapolate accurate predictions, that should concern you. It shouldn't make you hysterical and run to doomsday prep, but it should make you want to be a part of the solution in decreasing the spread. Because kids aren't dying I think people feel protected. Kids less than 10 aren't dying. People in their 20s and 30s are in respiratory failure and ARE dying. These are not elderly people with lots of medical problems that have had the chance to live full lives. These are young and previously healthy people. Yes, the elderly are more likely. But the young and healthy ARE NOT IMMUNE.

Why is this such a big deal when we've already been seeing people with the flu? RESOURCES. Over the past few months we have already spent many days at capacity, boarding patients including ICU patients in the ER. We don't suddenly have a bigger ER, more floors to admit patients to, or more staff to take care of this influx. We have the same resources now with a second deadly virus. For estimated 80% getting sick this is like a cold. For the other 20% they're either significantly sick, or eventually dead. Yes, cancer kills more. Yes, obesity related illness kills more. When taking care of my obese patients I don't have to worry I'm going to "catch diabetes" or that suddenly my coronaries will be blocked. Their BMI can't be transmitted to me through the air. Lung cancer isn't contagious. I'm not worried about catching lung cancer when intubating these patients in respiratory failure. I'm vaccinated against the flu, and I can protect myself from flu patients with a simple surgical mask.

Patients coming into the ER want the best, EVERYTHING to be done, and for it to happen quickly. And more often than not, we deliver on that. We're going to have a different reality if we don't have rapid containment. Everything is going to be far from an option for most patients, and I'm not looking forward to the potential ethically crushing choices we might have to make.

Italy SHUT DOWN THEIR COUNTRY. Italy isn't drastically impacting their economy, tourism, education, and way of life because they care about our presidential election. They are doing it because their citizens are dying. This isn't a hoax. This isn't just the cold. And I don't care if more people by the numbers have already died of the flu. (Actually I very much care-GET VACCINATED). This is a big fucking deal. Open your eyes and pay attention. Your American immune system is not equipped with special corona fighting antibodies that just skipped over other countries. And more importantly, your healthcare system that already didn't have enough doctors doesn't suddenly have a surplus of doctors.

While you have the option (THAT YOU SHOULD TAKE) to stay at home and decrease the likelihood of you being a vector, when you do get sick, guess who is still working? Your nurses, doctors, pharmacists, hospital support staff, EMS, police...we don't have the option to stay at home and protect ourselves and our families. The consensus among myself and other docs is and expectation of not if, but when, we get sick. People that have no lung problems are developing respiratory and multi system organ failure, and dying. We know that could be us. And we aren't just being exposed at the airport or the grocery store or at a concert venue...we are being DIRECTLY exposed to the sickest patients. And without the resources to protect ourselves. The public has stock piled N95 masks to an extent our masks are LOCKED away and we have to have approval to use them. Because we WILL run out. The protective recommendations by the CDC recently became more relaxed...and let's be totally transparent. This is not because the transmission has slowed or COVID is less virulent. It's because we cannot meet a higher standard. We cannot provide our healthcare workers with better protection because we simply don't have it. And I'm so fortunate to work in a resource rich hospital with what I consider exceptional leadership. I see people busting ass to try to keep us safe and informed, but under the context of a rapidly evolving situation with not enough supplies, people, and space to manage the consequences. I've also heard the theories that the doctors that died in China were given amphetamines and worked days at a time. That exhaustion weakened their immunity. As we go through cycles of quarantine, who do you think is going to be on back up? Who do you think will be covering those extra shifts and putting in more hours? While we won't be pumped full of amphetamines, someone will have to be there.

So if you're one of the people that keeps laughing at the "hysteria," keeps comparing it to more deadly disease, thinks that somehow you're special and it's going to skip over you...you're not special and your immune system isn't unique. Take the current pandemic seriously. Stay home and don't be a walking vector. Find a hobby, read some books, spring clean your house, make some new recipes, clear your DVR. You don't need to panic and build a bunker, but don't be an asshole. Stop buying protective supplies that puts those of us on the front line at high risk. Stop buying all the toilet paper. Covid doesn't cause massive diarrhea. Our water supply is not contaminated. You don't need to stock pile bottled water. Don't go to the ER "because you just wanted to be checked out" when you're not actually sick. You risk exposing yourself and frankly, you're pulling us away from the patients that actually need us. And realize that when this gets worse, we are working as hard as we can to do the best we possibly can. Be patient and kind to your first responders.

That is a fantastic post that everybody should read. I find this picture illustrates it rather well:
we-stay-here-for-you-please-stay-home-for-us-696x570.jpg

Grym

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry if this has been mentioned recently but what is the current world wide death toll. My Parents who are high risk don't listen to me and aren't taking this serious at all.

someone else may have more exact numbers. But I think >9,000. I've been following this site from Johns Hopkins University which gets updated regularly but still lags a bit. I'm not sure if the latest ~500 Italy deaths are on there, etc. I think it is safe to say we are likely over 10k today.

ArcGIS Dashboards

ArcGIS Dashboards

And here is the mobile version

ArcGIS Dashboards

ArcGIS Dashboards

Last edited:

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
I am so tired of my county not taking this seriously. They refuse to act. I cannot wait to get the fuck out of here.

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018
An article about the state of Japan at the moment. Link is in the tweet; for those who want a more condensed summary, there's a thread below. Pretty interesting stuff.

Just think about this: If you have all your population wearing masks, you are effectively reducing the chances for community transmission because this virus is 80% asymptomatic. Masks are not necessarily preventing you from catching it, but they are effectively protecting you from other people who might be silently spreading it.

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
Just think about this: If you have all your population wearing masks, you are effectively reducing the chances for community transmission because this virus is 80% asymptomatic. Masks are not necessarily preventing you from catching it, but they are effectively protecting you from other people who might be silently spreading it.

yeah but that's impossible.
We don't have enough masks for the doctors etc.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
I am so tired of my county not taking this seriously. They refuse to act. I cannot wait to get the fuck out of here.

Where are you from? I too feel like that here in Chile. Health Minister doesn't respect health professionals. He holds a grudge because he was expelled by medic's associations.

340+ cases already. The fastest rate after China, in the world. 103 in just one day. In a 17 million people population. I could do all my work from home but boss said no, because the govt doesn't take extreme measures.

nexus

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope they can develop some cheap in home test. No idea how it would work but after these 2 weeks I'm still going to be cautious about hanging out with friends. It'd be nice if we could take a test and know for sure.

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
For now, of course. This are lessons to be learned for the future.
Masks do absolutely zero for a virus that is most likely spreading by surface touching vectors. All you do is touch your face once when you have been exposed, even on the mask, and your chance of infection is very high.

And if it was airborne, these masks don't filter it anyways outside of true medical ones.

SmokeMaxX

Oct 25, 2017
Masks do absolutely zero for a virus that is most likely spreading by surface touching vectors. All you do is touch your face once when you have been exposed, even on the mask, and your chance of infection is very high.

And if it was airborne, these masks don't filter it anyways outside of true medical ones.
I repeated this mantra for a while, but I'm honestly not sure. Masks provide at least two barriers from your mouth to their mouth if you cough. Even a non filtering mask will capture a decent amount of the particles just by being a barrier. It also physically stops you from touching the parts of your face where the virus can enter your body.

Airegin

Dec 10, 2017
someone else may have more exact numbers. But I think >9,000. I've been following this site from Johns Hopkins University which gets updated regularly but still lags a bit. I'm not sure if the latest ~500 Italy deaths are on there or the ~400 from Netherlands, etc. I think it is safe to say we are likely over 10k today.

ArcGIS Dashboards

ArcGIS Dashboards

ArcGIS Dashboards

ArcGIS Dashboards

400 deaths in the Netherlands? That is just not true.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
someone else may have more exact numbers. But I think >9,000. I've been following this site from Johns Hopkins University which gets updated regularly but still lags a bit. I'm not sure if the latest ~500 Italy deaths are on there or the ~400 from Netherlands, etc. I think it is safe to say we are likely over 10k today.

ArcGIS Dashboards

ArcGIS Dashboards

ArcGIS Dashboards

ArcGIS Dashboards
Netherlands has 76 confirmed deaths total, what are these numbers?

Saya

Oct 25, 2017
www.npr.org

Weeks Before Virus Panic, Intelligence Chairman Privately Raised Alarm, Sold Stocks

Sen. Richard Burr issued a warning at a private event weeks ago to prepare for dire effects from the coronavirus, going further than his more public comments, according to a recording obtained by NPR.

A secret recording taken of Senate Intelligence Committee Chairman Richard Burr shows him warning a private audience three weeks ago about how the Coronavirus would have dire effects on the U.S.

chromatic9

Oct 25, 2017
I think masks work well and probably why other Asian countries aren't seeing the outbreak. Seems to be western people saying they don't do much or nothing at all.

If I'm in a shop and someone is coughing and putting covid19 droplets in the air, me and others will inhale it but a mask can stop all or nearly all becoming airborne. Just think how fast it can multiply if a few people close to this person get the virus and who they pass it on to and so on, more and more coughing into the air.

I see people coughing onto food shelves spraying packaging.

What you need to do though is replace them often

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
I repeated this mantra for a while, but I'm honestly not sure. Masks provide at least two barriers from your mouth to their mouth if you cough. Even a non filtering mask will capture a decent amount of the particles just by being a barrier. It also physically stops you from touching the parts of your face where the virus can enter your body.
It stops instant infection but unless you change the mask within say 20 minutes and saturation begins to occur from your breath, it's effectiveness basically disappears. Remember, if the Virus gets on the mask, it is going to be alive for hours on it.

Now you can make an argument that everyone coughing should wear one to stop it from getting on surfaces as easily. I would be ok with that, but that is what most research has stated. It is best for those who are already sick, not for prevention.