• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FriendlyNPC

Oct 27, 2017
keep the kid away from your parents. she might be completely asinthomatic but contagious

Yeah, I know, but I have no clue how to make my parents understand this. I am just some software developer nerd, living in a 1 room basement apartment. I have no car because I never needed one. I don't know how to look after a 2 year old.

I guess I'll go to sleep for now as nothing will get solved today. Maybe my sis will pull through without having to go to the hospital. Taking it one day at a time.

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
Is that the stuff that can make your eyesight worse? If so I was supposed to take this for my autoimmune disease but decided against it because it is currently pretty mild and mostly under control.
Yes. Just passed my eye exam so I'm good to keep taking it for another year.

I wonder if they are going to restrict us from getting it during this time

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, looks like I'll be staying indoors for the next 2 weeks. My son and I have a cough and runny nose. No way of getting tested so I guess I'll just swing in the dark. If I die from this I'll be so pissed.
runny nose isn't really a corona symptom and are you hacking stuff up when you cough? because that'd be another sign it's NOT corona, people still need to remember that the flu and cold still exist!

the vast vast majority of tests are coming back negative even from people with symptoms and known contact and are being diagnosed as the flu or colds

gerg

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone have a link to a site comparing different countries' rates of infection? I'm curious to see how they compare.

Senator Toadstool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
let me get this straight : American schools are not going to implement any form of remote teaching?
they are though? lots of schools need a week or two to set it up. Most colleges (like mine are setting it up this week), and K-12 is different all over the nation but I believe at least most large districts are setting up a system.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
let me get this straight : American schools are not going to implement any form of remote teaching?
Here in CT we are trying. There's not much direction from the state though, in terms of if we can grade stuff or if it counts for credit or... anything. At least nothing that's reached teachers. I'm waiting to hear from our administration on what to do moving forward.

Supposedly we are setting up things with 3 at home work days and want to have a system in place by the end of the month.

Oct 27, 2017

Many can't, by law. We have equity rules that you can't create policy which will disadvantage kids who may not have access to resources like laptops, tablets or high-speed internet, especially if libraries and college campuses are closed for use.

Those same school systems can't possibly gather them all in one place with available computers to do the work, and can't provide each one with tutors

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This seems overly cynical when there are multiple promising treatments. While it can't be made a non issue in a few months we have proof that the Virus can be suppressed and that's before we have treatments being distributed. These next months into possibly the Summer are gonna be rough but once we get there with these shutdowns being done, treatments discovered and distributed, supplies being made more available, and healthcare facilities getting more equipment we can have some normalcy.

Of course we're likely not going to be able to travel much in this next year but I don't see why this is what we're going to endure for the next 18 months. Science isn't a miracle worker in the sense it will give us a quick solution for the Virus but it can give us multiple smaller answers to make life bearable
Yup, so many ways this can be suppressed, some adjustments to our hygiene could lead to great results.

I think most important thing is everyone has to wear a face mask in public from here on out, doesn't matter if you are healthy. EVERYONE needs to wear a mask, if they don't, they aren't allowed to enter a bus, workplace, school, etc. Yes, they are hard to come by right now, but that's only because we didn't need them at this scale before. Factories need to be converted to make these masks asap.

There needs to be hand sanitizers easily available EVERYWHERE (being able to wash your hands with soap and water is a rare luxury when you aren't at home).

I don't know if this is possible, but some sort of tape-like material that kills the virus? Put it on handles, buttons, levers, and all the other things people frequently touch.

All public places need to be frequently sanitized.

Just some things from the top of my head, I am sure we can do much more and better than just shutting down everything for 2 years.

Oct 25, 2017
they are though? lots of schools need a week or two to set it up. Most colleges (like mine are setting it up this week), and K-12 is different all over the nation but I believe at least most large districts are setting up a system.
Man could you imagine all this stuff 25-30 years ago without the technology capabilities of today. That goes for all the WFH stuff too.

Paxton25

May 9, 2018
So will this remote learning be via internet ? What happens to the kids without a pc/tablet and no internet connection?

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
Even though I've been preparing for this getting bad for a few weeks now, it's starting to set in that I have no idea when life is going to go back to normal.

Hopefully it won't be longer than a few months!

For what it's worth, there's a lot of talk from the UK government about a test which can detect if someone has had the virus (which would especially help those who have been asymptomatic or with very mild symptoms). If that gets rolled out quickly then you could see large swathes of the population back to normal quite quickly.

(Here's hoping anyway!)

Edit: Also worth mentioning that there are trials ongoing with existing medications - which wouldn't be subject to the long testing period for a vaccine.

Probably not much solace, but it's somewhat reassuring to think that every smart mind in the world is focusing on this right now.

FriendlyNPC

Oct 27, 2017
Do they have Amazon fresh or similar delivery services for food in their area? I would either recommend that or if worse comes to worse have someone drop stuff off outside their door. Or they could try Target at the first hour where it's vulnerable individuals only.

Either way no full proof way to avoid any chance of catching the virus as it can exists on surfaces so even delivery can cause them to catch it.

Currently she has some friends helping her out, doing her grocery shopping and delivering it in front of her apartment door so that part is covered for now. The health department is giving her a daily call to talk about how she is doing. Don't have Target here, I am from germany. And yeah, basically if my sis has to go to hospital, someone has got to take my 2 year old niece who is assumed to have it as well. I don't actually know if she has been tested yet though.

I'll try to get a clearer picture tomorrow, it's 1:30am here and I got to work in a couple hours.

Kendrid

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
So will this remote learning be via internet ? What happens to the kids without a pc/tablet and no internet connection?

Our schools are providing free hotspots for families with no internet access. Every kid in our schools k-12 has a Chromebook already.

Our schools are also still making breakfast and lunch for kids in need. Chicago suburb.

alex.magnus

Oct 28, 2017
Many can't, by law. We have equity rules that you can't create policy which will disadvantage kids who may not have access to resources like laptops, tablets or high-speed internet, especially if libraries and college campuses are closed for use.

Those same school systems can't possibly gather them all in one place with available computers to do the work, and can't provide each one with tutors

sounds like the perfect time to shift some of that ridiculous army budget to education and buy devices for the kids that need them... I totally sympathize with you guys

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
Our schools are providing free hotspots for families with no internet access. Every kid in our schools k-12 has a Chromebook already.

Our schools are also still making breakfast and lunch for kids in need. Chicago suburb.

Yeah they are using the buses here to deliver breakfast and lunch to kids that need it which is awesome. More important than reading and math

DarthFeanor

Banned
Dec 6, 2019
People that can't WFH you don't need to panic, the odds are still in your favor.

The chance of get is low, and are getting lower the more people follow the sanitary and social distance recommendations.

Even in Italy people with symptoms tested have only 20% positive rate.

The numbers reported today are from weeks ago.

We need to keep things working and not break the supply chain.

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Wait, now I'm hearing this thing may go on for 18 months?
Shouldn't we have a cure/vaccine before that?

It can last up to 18 months, however *everyone* needs to realise treatments should and will come first. Then sooner we her sucessful treatments, the better,.and rapid trials are showing pretty good results in a short timescale. Vaccines take a long time simply because they must be correct in order to give to so many people.

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
At least in our neck of the woods (Southern New Hampshire) our school is providing Chromebooks and Comcast is providing free internet for low income homes. There's paper packets going out as well.

Phoony17

Oct 27, 2017
Narangba, AUS
People that can't WFH you don't need to panic, the odds are still in your favor.

The chance of get is low, and are getting lower the more people follow the sanitary and social distance recommendations.

Even in Italy people with symptoms tested have only 20% positive rate.

The numbers reported today are from weeks ago.

We need to keep things working and not break the supply chain.

Seems Italy got hammered with the flu this as well. This from Early Jan before Covid was on the radar.

Some 225,000 people in Italy spent the Christmas holidays in bed with flu, the Healh Insitute, Istituto di Sanità (ISS) said on Thursday, meaning the total number of cases has now reached 1,587,000 in total.

The worst-affected parts of Italy are the northern regions of Valle d'Aosta, Lombardy, and Friuli Venezia Giulia, as well as Emilia-Romagna, Marche and Abruzzo in the centre-north, according to according to data from Influnet and FluNews Italia compiled by ISS.

Maybe why Italy has had such a high fatality rate.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
The lack of preparation and availability for testing in the US is making me absolutely livid each day this goes on.

Total fucking criminal negligence from Trump and the White House.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017

does that crowd on the beach look socially spaced to you?

source.gif

LOCK

Oct 25, 2017
Our school district is still making meals available for pick up or drop off. They've also moved the classrooms online with Google Classroom. Spectrum is also offering free internet to families who do not have access. If a student doesn't have access to the internet then the schools are providing packets that they can fill out. Teachers are still available in the google classroom and by phone.

This is in NC.

Oct 27, 2017
In ct here, our district was on top of this and sent the kids home last week with lesson plans and materials and chromebooks (if they needed them). They get daily assignments and have to submit their work. The teachers are online during school hours sending messages and answering questions. We're set up this way through spring break in early-mid april. We'll see what happens after that, when we get there.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
When I was driving home earlier, it looked apocalyptic out...

It was raining, absolutely nobody out or on the road - I passed by a school with a book fair sign that was half torn down with no kids anywhere. Was spooky.