• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Mar 3, 2019
As an update to my previous post. When you try to screen your symptoms with Oncare in Minnesota, it sends you message stating that due to the fact that Minnesota is now in community spread mode, they are no longer testing anyone that is not critically ill. WTF

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
This idiot is running for governor in our state:

The prescription is simple though not easy: Stay home.

If Americans want to minimize loss of life from the global coronavirus pandemic, we must heed the advice of health experts and government officials and practice social distancing.

As Washington Gov. Jay Inslee said Sunday when he announced that restaurants, bars, entertainment and recreational facilities would shut down statewide to slow the spread of COVID-19: "Hours count here."

Unfortunately, not everyone agrees with Inslee's emergency declaration.

On Saturday, Tim Eyman, Republican candidate for governor, threw himself a party. "Let's stick our finger in the eye of Jay Inslee," read the invitation to supporters, "I'm bringing a 6-pack of Corona!"

The Pied Piper of $30 car tabs hoped "251 patriots" would show up to his Oak Harbor fundraiser -- precisely one more person than Inslee's previous maximum gathering size mandate of 250. The defiant gesture fell flat.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
Cuomo is not liked for a couple of reason in NY from what I gather:

His handling of the MTA. Gov gets blamed for the MTA's fault. Some of it is warranted.

I think the biggest selling paper is the New York Post, a Murdoch rag, that has an anti-deblasio and Anti-cuomo headline every other day.

Not saying that Cuomo is great, just saying this is where most of the hate comes from.

Lived here my whole life. I really like Cuomo.

Really does depend on who you're talking to, just like everything else.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
I'm at Walmart now and there is some idiot here holding a knit scarf up to their face, with their hands. People are so fucking dumb.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Tbf, the mortality rate was not 0 for anyone over the age of 18.

Not exactly what she said.

She said that because many millenials are asymptomatic or show minimal symptoms, that the serious cases may be over-represented by the media.

I think we have enough data at this point to safely say that by-in-large, younger people are going to be fine.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Update from TN this morning has the vast majority of cases in the 18-49 age range. Only 2 confirmed cases of people over 65. Really goes against what we've been hearing all this time about "mostly old people" being affected

Mar 3, 2019
Minnesota up to 77 confirmed out of 2762 tested

They've pretty much almost run out of testing so unfortunatelly these numbers are basically meaningless at this point. They aren't testing anyone who isn't critically ill, turning away most people that probally have it, changing the criteria tighter and tighter each day. Minnesota's response to testing so far has been a joke.

Everyday Math

Oct 25, 2017
Problem is we make boat motors.
You can't just change what we have set up line wise.

Materials wise we mostly use Steel, aluminum, and plastic.
I could see plastic being an issue.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Still, at least it's progress. To get to human trials means there have at least been some promising animal testing results.

In a number of cases they've apparently flat out skipped that stage...

As they race to test an experimental coronavirus vaccine, researchers aren't waiting to see how well it prevents infection in animals before trying it in people, breaking from the usual protocol.

"I don't think proving this in an animal model is on the critical path to getting this to a clinical trial," said Tal Zaks, chief medical officer at Moderna, a Cambridge, Mass.-based biotech that has produced a Covid-19 vaccine candidate at record speed. He told STAT that scientists at the National Institutes of Health are "working on nonclinical research in parallel." Meanwhile, the clinical trial started recruiting healthy participants in the first week of March.

That isn't how vaccine testing normally happens. Regulators require that a manufacturer show a product is safe before it goes into people, and while it isn't enshrined in law, researchers almost always check that a new concoction is effective in lab animals before putting human volunteers at potential risk.

"This is very unusual," explained Akiko Iwasaki, a Yale University microbiologist who studies the immune response to viruses. "It reflects the urgency to develop vaccines to counter the Covid-19 pandemic."

Lonestar

Roll Tahd, Pawl
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure it was a videogame reference, like how you can use warp pipes in Super Mario Bros.

It was odd to hear a videogame reference in such a conference. I think she was trying to say how innovative young people are to find new solutions to problems.
I mean, yeah, that's exactly what it was, it's just another brick to the wall of insane Press Conference moments from this "administration"

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
They've pretty much almost run out of testing so unfortunatelly these numbers are basically meaningless at this point. They aren't testing anyone who isn't critically ill, turning away most people that probally have it, changing the criteria tighter and tighter each day. Minnesota's response to testing so far has been a joke.
I appreciate the frustration but ultimately this comes from the federal level with shortages everywhere. It's not just Minnesota it's tons of states having the same issue. Basically trump and his administration have been flat out lying about testing for weeks now

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
In a number of cases they've apparently flat out skipped that stage...
Um...I'm pretty sure they skipped over animal trials for the trails in Washington
Ahh, I just assumed there had been some kind of animal testing.

A vaccine in the UK had shown promising results in Mice and there was mention of it moving to human trials by the summer, I just figured this one was a little ahead of them.

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like the big 3 US automakers shut down their manufacturing. BIG.
Check out this article from Detroit Free Press:

Detroit automakers agree to close all US plants, source says

www.freep.com

Detroit automakers Ford, General Motors, FCA agree to close all US plants

"By taking a shutdown ... we protect UAW members, their families and the community,” said President Rory Gamble.
I honestly didn't expect this after they all just fought to stay open. Wonder what changed

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
After just two days the three drive thru testing stations in Virginia are being suspended due to shortages of test kits.

This testing situation is absolutely ridiculous.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
So Trump said "nothing has ever been this contagious". That's bollocks right? Swine flu was far more contagious... just much less deadly.

HipsterMorty

alt account
Banned
Jan 25, 2020
Yes, human trials have started. Don't know if it's the "fastest ever" and it doesn't mean that a vaccine is imminent. Human trials are still an early part of the process.

Re: self swabs- some private labs are already doing it. I posted a WaPo link a few posts back.

Yeah from what I've heard vaccinations require an extensive amount of human testing to ensure safety and efficacy. For example, the clinical trials for the vaccine from Moderna just started and the length of the study is 14 months:
We will ask you to come to 11 in-person study visits and have 4 phone visits over a 14-month period. The visits include 1 initial screening visit, 2 vaccination visits, and 8 follow-up visits.