• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DarthWoo

Oct 27, 2017
This is going to be a stupid question, but why is the panic resulting if people who are close to dying anyways (e.g. over 80; already have pre-existing major health complications) will be the only ones affected?
To say nothing of the incredibly selfish nature of that question, the fact is that even relatively younger people would be facing a significant risk of death in the likely event of a mass outbreak. I'm not sure how much the numbers have changed, but China's early CFRs put 30-39 at .18% and 40-49 at .4% If you're in that former group, would you really be comfortable with a 1 in 556 chance of dying? 1 in 250 if you were in the latter?

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
Legault and everyone in Québec is doing a super nice job with all the measures announced. Really happy that they are forward thinking. Even the mayor of Montreal was tired of waiting a move from Trudeau and sent people to help at the airport to check people in/out.

Oh yeah. Always felt Quebec we were behind other provinces about anything ( not covid related ), but the way Legault is managing this crisis, chapeau! Nothing will be perfect, but im feeling more confident with him handling the situation, hoping everything in place will reduce the spread to a minimal level.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Hey my father-in-law is visiting from Australia and his travel agent was informed that they may be closing their borders soon. So any Aussie Era members on here know whats going on?

Manoko

Oct 27, 2017
I don't have symptoms yet, but is there anything we can do apart from staying hydrated and resting to help the body fight the infection ?

Oct 27, 2017
This is going to be a stupid question, but why is the panic resulting if people who are close to dying anyways (e.g. over 80; already have pre-existing major health complications) will be the only ones affected?
They are not the only people affected. The hospitalized are also of younger ages (one in my state is in his 40s and is in a medically induced coma), and all their family members are affected by their loved ones' medical condition.

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know, I'd rather be penniless than dead.
If it lasts long enough and you run out of canned food you could starve eventually
People with diabetes and asthma are also at risk

Chaos17

Oct 27, 2017
France
Because the people who're in panic are people who didn't read anything and just take the short cut in their heard : "oh my it's the apocalypse, we're going to need EVERYTHING! I trust others and only care for myself" they watched too many movies and didn't listen enough to History class. So the panic mainly doesn't come from the numbers but the feat to "lack" or "miss" their comfort zone.
Then you've another type of person who heard a little about it then just say "That won' touch me".

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
They are people too. Beloved parents and grandparents.

And besides, aren't half the people in intensive care in Paris under the age of 65? The was the young healthy doctor in Wuhan who died from it. Affects far more than just the very elderly.

Also all those who are ill and requiring beds and care, they're using resources which could also be required for other illnesses. And when beds run out, not everyone can get the care they need and we see unnecessary fatalities of all ages.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017

i'll happily cop a ban for this one: you're a cruel moron. eat shit. i sincerely hope you don't have anyone old or with medical complications in your life loser

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Because they're not the only ones affected?

And on top of that this pandemic can completely cripple the healthcare system for others too.

Biggzy

Oct 27, 2017
They are people too. Beloved parents and grandparents.

And besides, aren't half the people in intensive care in Paris under the age of 65? The was the young healthy doctor in Wuhan who died from it. Affects far more than just the very elderly.

Also all those who are ill and requiring beds and care, they're using resources which could also be required for other illnesses. And when beds run out, not everyone can get the care they need and we see unnecessary fatalities of all ages.

We also do not know if there are any long term effects.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Seeing the death count made me look up some others. What's going on in the UK? They only have less than 1,600 cases, but already 55 deaths.
UK is prioritising testing for those in hospitals, care homes, or showing severe symptoms. They aren't testing people with mild symptoms, instead telling them to stay at home and self isolate. And it's the same situation in Italy. Which is why UK and Italy death rates seem so high in comparison to cases. But in reality it's just a different testing method. Compared to South Korea who test regardless of how mild symptoms etc are - hence have a very low case to fatality rate. UK coronavirus cases in reality estimated to be 10,000+ but I'd guess way higher.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017

There have been a non negligible number of perfectly healthy 30 yo dying because of heart failure caused by the virus's strain on the body, as well as septic shock.
Saying it's "0.3%" of cases may sound low but when you apply that to hundreds of thousands, then millions, it's a lot scarier.

In France, half the people in ICU are under 50 yo so let that sink in. (Which means they're in phase 2 with a higher chance of going into phase 3).

+

1) weak people (cancer, hiv, blood disease etc...)
2) people that need surgery (accidents, spontaneous issues etc...)
3) infecting older people and leading to their deaths

Stuggernaut

Oct 28, 2017
Seattle, WA, USA
As others maybe have said, the elderly are NOT THE ONLY ones dying. Yes, the rate is much higher because of existing issues, weaker immune system etc., but to refer to them as "close to dying" is just a little insensitive.

These are people's parents, and grandparents. They have friends and family just like you, and they will be missed if they die. Them being 80+ (or any age) does not make them less valuable in any way. Just like your parents and grandparents, or mine are/were valued in our respective lives.

I think it is interesting that so many people (not just you) have this perspective that this is an "old people" disease so they are not worried. This is a real example of why even after 7000+ people have died, people still can't take it seriously and still expose themselves needlessly.

That is seven THOUSAND people... that is a shit ton of people that lost their lives, and there will be thousands more before this is over. Pretty soon we will see death counts that are in the 10's of thousands. Just imagine a small town, like 20k population, just gone... that is a LOT of loss.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
You know with all that is happening, what will happen to those who need to pay mortgages, bills, etc?

Especially if they are affected monetary/work wise? (Specifically speaking US wise)

Dineren

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Great, was just told that the husband of someone in our building at work tested positive. Not sure what this means yet, we had a meeting this morning about potentially working from home, but we aren't at all prepared. For the time being, mission critical personnel (which includes me, yay) have been directed to go to another building in the morning. Should be quite the shit show for the next few weeks.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
You know with all that is happening, what will happen to those who need to pay mortgages, bills, etc?

Especially if they are affected monetary/work wise? (Specifically speaking US wise)
Federal or state governments will likely pass laws that people can't be booted out or have power turned off during this.

DiK4

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
but but you only need to test if you are in the hospital with severe symptoms because it is a waste of resources
This. My dad is is currently in isolation at his Nursing Home because he came down with a fever today. They're doing every test they can besides checking for COVID and I wonder why..

The tests are fucking hard to find.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hey my father-in-law is visiting from Australia and his travel agent was informed that they may be closing their borders soon. So any Aussie Era members on here know whats going on?

Cancel. Cancel. Cancel.

This. My dad is is currently in isolation at his Nursing Home because he came down with a fever today. They're doing every test they can besides checking for COVID and I wonder why..

The tests are fucking hard to find.

I'm thinking of you, stay strong!

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I just got an e-mail saying someone in my office tested positive for COVID-19. Then immediately after I got a clarification saying they have been tested and their results have been sent off and they had been in isolation for the 6-7 days prior to that. Im in Canada and we've administered 1000s of tests in a short period of time so the likelihood is potentially low of it coming back positive.

Still my wife is a health care worker and works with cancer patients so its potentially deadly if she has it.

Im already in quarantine because of this but Im not sure if my wife should be also...

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017

This is what frightens me. I'm not prepared to lose my job over this. I'd be homeless. I'd much rather take the risk of catching this virus than potentially lose it all because I'm forced to be quarantined. The United States doesn't offer me an option here. Unless they start giving us all a living wage I need to keep working or I'm fucked.

Airegin

Dec 10, 2017
I'm getting more difficulty breathing. Feels like I'm not getting enough oxygen unless I breathe twice as hard. I wonder at what point I should call the hospital. Fever hasn't improved after 5 days.

golguin

Oct 29, 2017
All schools and colleges have essentially closed up shop in Riverside County and all other neighboring counties in Southern California. My work has officially gone remote until further notice.

My fiancé won't be able to do that since she's a charge nurse at the Red Cross blood donation place. She will continue to get blood.

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing the death count made me look up some others. What's going on in the UK? They only have less than 1,600 cases, but already 55 deaths.

Incomplete test numbers there as well, likely. If you're only testing those who are visibly sick or worse, you miss almost everyone who is asymptomatic or only very mildly ill.

Which means the true death rate and hospitalization rate from all infections is perhaps lower ... but that there's a shit ton of people out and about unknowingly spreading it to everyone else who doesn't have it. Including the vulnerable. That is the really bad thing about all this.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Can't cancel he is already here.

Can you both go on lockdown and self isolate?

Yes, that's a stupid question. Young people are also affected and require hospitalization. People with no pre-existing health complications are also affected and require hospitalization. Hospitals are at risk to not be able to cope with the amount of patients so people who aren't infected with corona could still die from its impact.

This last one is key - key to why we should go on lockdown and why even healthy, young people need to take this with the utmost seriousness.