• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Watching a morning call in show in the UK (Jeremy Vine). They have an expert on explaining why older people MUST self isolate. Every caller in who is older is just dismissing it and saying why should they stay in... that's the sole strategy of our government, older people should self isolate. We're fucked. Until soldiers and police are patrolling the streets fining them their pensions or something nothing will change and many of them will help kill off their generation.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
God I can't take it anymore. Coworker thinks it's a hoax by Trump to depress turnout in November and no one is actually dying. Oh and if it is killing them then God decided it was there time to go. And it's wrong for the government to close down private businesses. It should be up to the owners. Also my manager thinks there is no virus and its a test by the government to see how an actual deadly disease would impact our infrastructure and hospitals. Then we have my boss who says its a hoax that's just a flu.

What's it like working at the white House?

Joking aside, i do feel that people are dismissing the seriousness of this.

BobbeMalle

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
I live in a small town in the middle of Italy, they found some asymptomatic people on the 5th floor of our local hospital. They closed it off and all personnel is on quarantine.
Also, yesterday someone committed suicide jumping off the roof of the hospital, probably not related but still

OG YOLOwen

Banned
Mar 24, 2019
Joking aside, i do feel that people are dismissing the seriousness of this.
The day before I left for my week long trip to Europe, I asked the restaurant delivery company I work for what their plan would be if covid made its way into my state.

One girl flipped out, saying it was just a flu, it wasn't a big deal, it would all blow over.

Yeah.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
You don't know his situation, how many people are with him or for what he needs the milk for.
Chances are high that he is in possession of the precious knowledge that milk can quickly deteriorate. It's pretty common knowledge and not a secret, but he still decided to buy it so he may have his reasons.
Better not judge people based on empty assumptions.

Correct, not everyone buying in bulk is a hoarder.
Someone buying 50 packs of sausage and 200 bread rolls, a hoarder? No, just a normal company doing a BBQ at their office. (Which happens 2 or 3 times a year at my workplace) (((not saying that right now is the time to do company-wide BBQ's, though, just that it always happened)))
Then you have your normal street vendors who get most of their stuff from normal supermarkets and discounters. Just recently saw a woman who bought 4 cases of sunflower oil (one case has 16 bottles a 1 Liter). Her father has 5 Döner-Kebab vendor stalls.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
The day before I left for my week long trip to Europe, I asked the restaurant delivery company I work for what their plan would be if covid made its way into my state.

One girl flipped out, saying it was just a flu, it wasn't a big deal, it would all blow over.

Yeah.

Yah, that's the line i get a lot. Or that the percentages are not that bad, or that the media is overblowing it...

I don't know what to say.

Absent

Oct 26, 2017
www.theguardian.com

UK coronavirus crisis 'to last until spring 2021 and could see 7.9m hospitalised'

Exclusive: Public Health England document seen by Guardian says four in five ‘expected’ to contract virus
It also suggests that health chiefs are braced for as many as 80% of Britons becoming infected with the coronavirus over that time.

Prof Chris Whitty, the government's chief medical adviser, has previously described that figure as the worst-case scenario and suggested that the real number would turn out to be less than that. However, the briefing makes clear that four in five of the population "are expected" to contract the virus.

The document says that: "As many as 80% of the population are expected to be infected with Covid-19 in the next 12 months, and up to 15% (7.9 million people) may require hospitalisation."
A senior NHS figure involved in preparing for the growing "surge" in patients whose lives are being put at risk by Covid-19 said an 80% infection rate could lead to more than half a million people dying.

If the mortality rate turns out to be the 1% many experts are using as their working assumption then that would mean 531,100 deaths. But if Whitty's insistence that the rate will be closer to 0.6% proves accurate, then that would involve 318,660 people dying.

Experts advising governments worldwide on the way epidemics grow and eventually decline say there will be a rapid rise in cases to a peak – and then a falling off. Whitty, who has seen the modelling done by UK and global scientists, says the case numbers will go up fast over the next 10 to 14 weeks.
Alarming to say the least.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
Is it known if infected people will always experience some level of respiratory problem (like a mild shortness of breath, for example)?

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
Was thinking back to a recent Kyle bosman banjo stream, where he sacrifices the life of a character purely to speed things up a bit and then says "it's simple economics" and wondering if BoJo took inspiration from it

The UK policy is an economic one, the lives of upto a million people sacrificed to keep the economy afloat and its fucking disgusting

Naru

May 11, 2019
The UK policy is an economic one, the lives of upto a million people sacrificed to keep the economy afloat and its fucking disgusting
I feel like that is going to happen everywhere. Sure they'll lock down countries for 14 days to a month now but what then? The economic impart will be so crazy that they'll end up lowering the lockdown bit by bit way too early just to keep the economy afloat. They will do the same if the current measures have little to no impact on the case numbers.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
here in germany they took far too long to close schools, restaurants, bars and stuff

it should have been this way 14 days ago. it is baffling how the whole world could see what happened in China and yet so many countries waited till the last moment before deciding to close shops and stuff...

also, cases rising rapidly here, yesterday around 1200 new cases, that is really extreme. i still remember when there was carnival end of february, everyone handwaved away any concerns and gone drinking and celebrating.

i assume that there will be total lockdown with curfews in a few days but we will see...

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Friday evening, official work comm : "it's ok, only case by case for work from home"
Monday morning: "everybody work from home if possible"
welp

SushiReese

Oct 30, 2017
If the world economy really shut down and major cities in lock-down for two months, how large would the recession be hit? Will it more serious than the one in 2008?

John Doe

Avenger
Jan 24, 2018
If the world economy really shut down and major cities in lock-down for two months, how large would the recession be hit? Will it more serious than the one in 2008?

This sounds stupid, but stocks, the economy and all the rest of it are human made constructs.

Yes people will lose their jobs and businesses will shut down, but aren't their fail safes in place for when a crisis like this happens?

This isnt like 2008 where human greed and poor economics caused the recession. Why can't the world governments just agree to write off this period?

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
here in germany they took far too long to close schools, restaurants, bars and stuff

it should have been this way 14 days ago. it is baffling how the whole world could see what happened in China and yet so many countries waited till the last moment before deciding to close shops and stuff...

also, cases rising rapidly here, yesterday around 1200 new cases, that is really extreme. i still remember when there was carnival end of february, everyone handwaved away any concerns and gone drinking and celebrating.

i assume that there will be total lockdown with curfews in a few days but we will see...

At least 7 days ago. I live in NRW and have been very disappointed with the response time especially because we are the worst off right now.

haradaku7

May 28, 2018
God I can't take it anymore. Coworker thinks it's a hoax by Trump to depress turnout in November and no one is actually dying. Oh and if it is killing them then God decided it was there time to go. And it's wrong for the government to close down private businesses. It should be up to the owners. Also my manager thinks there is no virus and its a test by the government to see how an actual deadly disease would impact our infrastructure and hospitals. Then we have my boss who says its a hoax that's just a flu.
Now this is scary, 1984 double think right there.

Gorgosh

Oct 26, 2017

I mean yeah, hindsight is easy enough. I concur that it was easily to see what will happen, but you can't convince most of the people that these drastic measures are needed when there are only like 150 cases in the country (like 14 days ago). It is a hard decision and I guess we will learn from it for future pandemics/epidemics.
I posted a graph for Germany yesterday which fits the graph of Italy perfectly. So end of the week we will have MANY more cases (~20.000). Lets see if the effects kick in next week and we will see a slower rise of cases.
the most baffling decision for me was that they let Bundesliga with packed stadiums go as long as they did.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Local Buffalo news showing defiant youth and other dumbasses happily drinking it up at bars downtown for St Patty's day

Rynam

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
And Canton Geneva now declared state of emergency, following Baselland, Jura, Grisons, Neuchatel, and Ticino. Its totally gonna end up a nationwide thing by Tonight or Tomorrow.. Good that i was grocery shopping today already without any chaos.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I mean yeah, hindsight is easy enough. I concur that it was easily to see what will happen, but you can't convince most of the people that these drastic measures are needed when there are only like 150 cases in the country (like 14 days ago). It is a hard decision and I guess we will learn from it for future pandemics/epidemics.
I posted a graph for Germany yesterday which fits the graph of Italy perfectly. So end of the week we will have MANY more cases (~20.000). Lets see if the effects kick in next week and we will see a slower rise of cases.
the most baffling decision for me was that they let Bundesliga with packed stadiums go as long as they did.

But we saw how it turned out before, we can predict how much it spreads and we know most people are dumbasses not taking proper precautions. I feel like the state just has to act and ignore how people might perceive it.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
This sounds stupid, but stocks, the economy and all the rest of it are human made constructs.

Yes people will lose their jobs and businesses will shut down, but aren't their fail safes in place for when a crisis like this happens?

This isnt like 2008 where human greed and poor economics caused the recession. Why can't the world governments just agree to write off this period?
Read this McKinsey report (jump to Economic impact) which addresses exactly that question.

www.mckinsey.com

COVID-19: Implications for business

Our latest perspectives on the coronavirus outbreak, the twin threats to lives and livelihoods, and how organizations can prepare for the next normal.

TL:DR - There are 3 possible scenarios, recession is the worst case.

igordennis

Oct 25, 2017
I follow some of the food scene and restaurants here in Melbourne and it has been very weird to see the stuff posted on instagram, stuff like this:

"The most important thing to do is to eat out? Really? I feel bad for small businesses but i'd hardly say that is the most important thing to do in this situation...

Onyar

Nov 1, 2017
I guess it depends of the time and how many people die in the end.
If the time is around months maybe things like airlines companies could be affected and some may had to close down, tourism also will be very affected if the pandemic is active during summer.
So in my opinion this will be an economic crisis for sure, probably with the same weight as the one of 2008.

suedester

Oct 25, 2017
Was thinking back to a recent Kyle bosman banjo stream, where he sacrifices the life of a character purely to speed things up a bit and then says "it's simple economics" and wondering if BoJo took inspiration from it

I'm just being contrarion but how many people die if the global economy collapses?

Deleted member 36105

Account closed at user request
Banned
Dec 13, 2017
There's talk that the photos of the metro and train in spain being packed are fake or from a previous transport strike. The thing is, this was my ride:

I even was called by a morning radio program about traffic and weather that I usually listen to to report on the situation and explain how things looked, if people were keeping the safety distance, etc... And they were. Leaving the train one by one and staying pretty far from each other. But who knows. I got up 30 minutes earlier, at 5:30 AM, to get on the 6:30 train, which is always empty. The roads are a different story, as anyone who owns a car is not taking chances with public transport.

Another one came to the office by bus and it was pretty empty too.

Queue to enter the supermarket:

Once some people left, they would allow 5 more to enter. The people inside have a maximum limit, and there's a restriction of 4 units of each product. Even like that, I could not get Nescafe, again. This is the second time I fail. Cafeterias are closed. Also I hope you like Paprika Pringles, because it was the only snack left.

Last edited:

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
Apparently Macron will announce tonight that French people have 48h to chose their place to stay for the next 45 days, with curfew at 6pm every day (EDIT: probably fake ?). This is going to be fun.

Last edited:

Fxp

Oct 27, 2017
Btw is it possible to get repeatedly infected by Covid-19 after patient is cured? I vaguely remember reading about such cases.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
It is only partially related to Covid, but my grandmother is going to be released today from hospital. She was hospitalized three weeks ago (on February 22, the day after the first Covid case has been found in my country) and she got an urgent cancer surgery. It was the worst which could happen in this bad situation due to Covid's outbreak. My mother had to go twice per day to the hospital to help her eat, since no one there would have helped her otherwise. And the fact that she is going to be released, after all the analyses have been quite good since some days, is a great relief in this period. It means my mother won't have to go to that hospital every day, and she can really start her "stay at home" lockdown.
At this point, all my family is going to stay at home. My mother hasn't gone to work since two weeks and won't be paid; my father is at home since today, currently on forced vacation but probably soon in layoff; my grandmother can finally be at home too. I am the only one who probably will get a full salary next month, but that is more then enough. What really matters for the moment is health.

Redeye97

Banned
Apr 25, 2019
I thought I'd lighten the mood with something I made in Mario Paint. What do you guys think?
nxMQhDC.jpg

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Can this be compared to the spanish flu of 1918 in term of mortality rate ?

Everyone wants to make this comparison but I still think it's impossible. The world in 2020 is totally different to the one in 1918. There was a world war happening and our hospitals and medical capabilities were totally different. Also our ability to test for diseases is totally different.

I guess you can directly compare the mortality rate but even that is impossible until we have more data.