• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

WoahW

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You know what, you'd better hope this guy's friend's friend is right. A 2 week lockdown wouldn't save us from the deaths already coming down the barrel thanks to this administration's inaction, but something drastic might at least mitigate the first two waves of infections capable of crashing our entire health care system. I do not want to be where Italy is now, and we're tracking 7 days behind them.
I agree I think it's the right call as well for the same reason you do. There isn't sides to this shit like some of you are trying to make it be. But clearly anyone who says anything not end of times is a trump supporter according to some (which I'm not and is fucking pathetic it goes to that when discussing this)

Owl

Oct 25, 2017
California
The idea that this government, who has been dragging their feet with their response to the virus at every turn, is going to force a national 2 week quarantine is absolutely silly. It's probably what we need, but there is no way the Trump administration is going to do that at this point.

PhotonicBrain

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I broke down tonight. My parents apologized for everything their generation did. They don't think they will survive this. I'm just going to sleep this off.

WoahW

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You're mindset is so warped it's incredible. Companies opening up again when there's still a pandemic and it continuing to spread faster and faster isn't "normal", it's the opposite. That's what you think is gonna happen is a few weeks? That's the reality you think is the opposite of fear mongering? Well, everyone is infected but at least McDolands is open, everything back to normal.

Get the fuck outta here.
You don't think they will? Serious question do you think the Walmart's and McDonald's of the world are fine with letting their business go down for multiple weeks if not months at a time? If there is nothing in place stopping them they give it "time" in their eyes and start trying to make money again he'll did you miss the conference where they sponsored the damn shit at the White House on Friday they only care about money not people

SneakersSO

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
North America
The idea that this government, who has been dragging their feet with their response to the virus at every turn, is going to force a national 2 week quarantine is absolutely silly. It's probably what we need, but there is no way the Trump administration is going to do that at this point.

Purely because of what it would do to the economy, they wouldn't do it. Also, they just don't have the staff to coordinate with state/local governments on how to reasonably pull this off. Remember - Trump carted around big Corp. CEO's on friday to try and indicate he wanted to privatize the response to this virus, not realizing that this was gonna cost money that these corps. would never give Americans.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
You don't think they will? Serious question do you think the Walmart's and McDonald's of the world are fine with letting their business go down for multiple weeks if not months at a time? If there is nothing in place stopping them they give it "time" in their eyes and start trying to make money again he'll did you miss the conference where they sponsored the damn shit at the White House on Friday they only care about money not people
Literally not the point.

You said
Why in the fuck are fear mongers in here spreading shit like possible 2 week mandatory quarantine for the nation and shit. It's not nearly as bad as some of you are making it out to be. Be smart, follow the things you can do washing hands, distance, etc and in a couple of weeks maybe 3-4 max thing will resume.

Like if stores opening up during a pandemic is something to look forward to. Why would I look forward to something like that resuming when it shouldn't? I'd rather things not be "normal" when normal means more death.

True Underdog

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Reading online that hypertension is an increased risk is making me more nervous than before (which I already was).

Especially because I can't tell if it's the hypertension itself, or if it's specific meds (i.e., ACE inhibitors). I have hypertension but I treat it with something that's not an ACE inhibitor.

DarthFeanor

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 6, 2019
I broke down tonight. My parents apologized for everything their generation did. They don't think they will survive this. I'm just going to sleep this off.
Hey, please, there is no need for this kind of thing.

There is a good chance that you and your family won't even notice if any of you get sick.

Things could be delayed enough for a treatment and infrastructure.

Back in the 30s children had a 5% chance of death from measles, polio and smallpox.

The chances are in our favor. Just play it cool.

commish

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Restaurants and bars are officially down for the count. RIP to all my plans the next few weeks.

Tragic that your plans are impacted.

Two people at my work have the virus. We are all WFH but who knows when they were contagious. I bought the last of my supplies today - booze! - so now me and the gf are going to hole up for a week or two and then reassess. All of this is happening so quickly yet not quickly enough. There are still ppl who keep saying "well it only kills old ppl, what do I care?" Ugh.

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
How are people being expected to self isolate if you're travelling - I can't actually find any info on this?

I'm currently in Aus and should be going to NZ on the 23rd and have already had to post pone the tour I was booked on (which included accomodation) as they require people to isolate before getting on the bus.

WoahW

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Literally not the point.

You said

Like if stores opening up during a pandemic is something to look forward to. Why would I look forward to something like that resuming when it shouldn't? I'd rather things not be "normal" when normal means more death.
Oh Jesus Christ I then elaborated on what I meant by shit resuming like normal because you along with others took that as it's not serious and Trump is awesome blah blah bullshit.

Real talk answer my question do those companies give a fuck about what's happening? Simple yes or no will suffice. Because if they decide to resume in 3 weeks and say to the employees be here or get fired what do you think the employees will do? It's not hard to figure out.

Deleted member 11046

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have seen it. We are neither of those countries. For starters we have a much higher youth population than Italy and while we weren't great at responding to it states are taking some decent measures. End of the day there is no way the US stays like this for 8 weeks plus. We have more hospitals and can accommodate more at a certain point we will turn everything back on it's bound to happen
Our healthcare system has NO WHERE NEAR THE CAPACITY to handle the amount that will require hospitalization, nevermind intensive care. By mid April we are looking at one million cases in the United States. Nearly 20 percent of those infected require hospitalization. This entire country only has about 900k beds, and the majority of those are already occupied. Nevermind staff. Nevermind ventilators. Dude, there are only 600 fucking ICU beds available right now in New York State.

SIX.

FUCKING.

HUNDRED.

Wake the hell up.

-Devious-

Oct 25, 2017
Do you have labored breathing?
  • difficulty lying flat.
  • feeling disoriented or confused.
  • gasping.
  • wheezing when breathing.
I am asking because you said you needed to take more your inhalator.

Edit : I don't know when you will read this so I will edit my post so you won't have to scroll down and reply.
I recommand you if you're on Android to download the app named "Ada" it's an well made medical encyclopedia that will reply your questions while be able to reach your doctor.
But I've to say if you've labored breathing and have the other symptoms, I would higly recommend you to drop everything and call your doctor. You are not in good shape, man :(
I'm not that severe. I just feel like I have to take deep breaths. I can lay flat. Not gasping or wheezing. I just feel something stuck in my throat when I breathe. Constantly have to clear my throat. Very slight discomfort in my lungs.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Oh Jesus Christ I then elaborated on what I meant by shit resuming like normal because you along with others took that as it's not serious and Trump is awesome blah blah bullshit.

Real talk answer my question do those companies give a fuck about what's happening? Simple yes or no will suffice. Because if they decide to resume in 3 weeks and say to the employees be here or get fired what do you think the employees will do? It's not hard to figure out.
I don't care about you walking back your goofy ass take or your attempt to pivot from said take with questions that have nothing to do with why everyone called you out.

WoahW

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Our healthcare system has NO WHERE NEAR THE CAPACITY to handle the amount that will require hospitalization, nevermind intensive care. By mid April we are looking at one million cases in the United States. Nearly 20 percent of those infected require hospitalization. This entire country only has about 900k beds, and the majority of those are already occupied. Nevermind staff. Nevermind ventilators. Dude, there are only 600 fucking ICU beds available right now in New York State.

SIX.

FUCKING.

HUNDRED.

Wake the hell up.
If people do what they're supposed to do for the next 2 weeks+ we do that's the whole fucking point if all of it, is it not? If not then why even do it in the first place? Major cities are definitely fucked which is why they are taking the most drastic steps right now

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017

SIX.

FUCKING.

HUNDRED.

Wake the hell up.

Indeed. We have 2.8 hospital beds per 1000 people. Germany has 8, Korea has 12. At any given time, 60-70% of these beds are already occupied by existing patients. 20% of covid cases require hospitalization. We do not have the capacity.

medium.com

Don’t “Flatten the Curve,” stop it!

You have all seen a version of this curve of COVID-19 case loads by now:

Last edited:

Mobius 1

Oct 27, 2017
North Point, Osean Federation
I have seen it. We are neither of those countries. For starters we have a much higher youth population than Italy and while we weren't great at responding to it states are taking some decent measures. End of the day there is no way the US stays like this for 8 weeks plus. We have more hospitals and can accommodate more at a certain point we will turn everything back on it's bound to happen

The only correct thing you said is that we will not stay like this for 8 weeks – it will get much worse, painful and calamitous.

Shyotl

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't like spring break where people know it's coming and plan accordingly, this unprecedented. Will the garbage pick up people all going to be able to show up to work? TSA folks? Doctors? First responders? People working at the nuclear facilities?
Nuclear power facilities have response planning requirements through the Nuclear Regulatory Commission, with contingencies for remote work and up to 60% of workforce loss. They'll be fine.

DarthFeanor

Banned
Dec 6, 2019
Reading online that hypertension is an increased risk is making me more nervous than before (which I already was).

Especially because I can't tell if it's the hypertension itself, or if it's specific meds (i.e., ACE inhibitors). I have hypertension but I treat it with something that's not an ACE inhibitor.

Supose you are offed a lottery ticket with 1 chance in 2000 of winning 10mi dollars.
Now, you can pay a premium to exchange that ticket for another with 1 chance in 1000 to win the same prize.

How much would you pay? Would you even become more anxious about winning if you get the second ticket in the first place?

WoahW

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't care about you walking back your goofy ass take or your attempt to pivot from said take with questions that have nothing to do with why everyone called you out.
It absolutely does and the fact you can't or won't answer proves my point. The government isn't running shit. The major corporations are, and when they decide they are done with shorter hours and work from home and all that then they'll go right back to normal forcing people to go right back to normal. I'm not backtracking on anything. I've never said it's not a serious issue especially as I have family that's high risk but please keep pretending you're officer hardass in a thread about a pandemic

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017

Astronut325

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Indeed. We have 2.8 hospital beds per people. Germany has 8, Korea has 12. At any given time, 60-70% of these beds are already occupied by existing patients. 20% of covid cases require hospitalization. We do not have the capacity.

medium.com

We need to set up temporary places to treat this. Like China...

boxter432

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Indeed. We have 2.8 hospital beds per people. Germany has 8, Korea has 12. At any given time, 60-70% of these beds are already occupied by existing patients. 20% of covid cases require hospitalization. We do not have the capacity.

medium.com

Please add in "1000" before people. Right now it seems like we have 3x as many beds as population.

Oct 25, 2017

Delay things so that the heath care apparatus doesn't get overrun. Herd immunity doesn't kick in in a real way until 40%-70% of a population is immune. Until there is a vaccine, we just need to slow things down so as many people can get proper care as possible. Also delays will give us time to learn the best treatment strategies and share that information globally.

China/Wuhan got it totally under control. Yes it's a different situation now, but if some countries can coordinate lockdowns and use the time to do as much testing as possible and track down all cases, we have a chance at containment and at the very least severely reducing the amount of people it infects over time.

China got Wuhan under control, but that ship has sailed for places like America where there are epicenters on both coast. Even then, now that it is a pandemic China will continue to have to mitigate and manage the disease entering their country from countless sources.

I absolutely agree that we should work to severely reduce the amount of people who are infected over time, it's just containment is a thing you can do to an epidemic, but not a pandemic.

Deleted member 11046

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If people do what they're supposed to do for the next 2 weeks+ we do that's the whole fucking point if all of it, is it not? If not then why even do it in the first place? Major cities are definitely fucked which is why they are taking the most drastic steps right now
I am not going to be replying to you again. It was a mistake to start.

None of us knew at the moment 9/11 happened how drastically life would change after. This country, and this entire world, has not been the same since. But with this national tragedy we're all about to go through together, we actually have a chance to enjoy a little bit of time before we hit that first crest on this roller coaster. This is likely the last "normal" American weekend many of us will enjoy for a bit. Honestly, none of us should be spending it arguing on this board over things that will make themselves evident in short order.

Stay safe, y'all.

WoahW

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am not going to be replying to you again. It was a mistake to start.

None of us knew at the moment 9/11 happened how drastically life would change after. This country, and this entire world, has not been the same since. But with this national tragedy we're all about to go through together, we actually have a chance to enjoy a little bit of time before we hit that first crest on this roller coaster. This is likely the last "normal" American weekend many of us will enjoy for a bit. Honestly, none of us should be spending it arguing on this board over things that will make themselves evident in short order.

Stay safe, y'all.
Agreed end of the day no one knows what's going to happen and we all need to be on the same team/side whatever you want to call if. Have a good night and stay safe

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
OPM finally went from the bright green HELL YES YOU'RE COMING INTO WORK to this:

Washington, DC Area
Applies to: Monday, March 16, 2020

STATUS: OPEN WITH MAXIMUM TELEWORK FLEXIBILITIES TO ALL CURRENT TELEWORK ELIGIBLE EMPLOYEES, PURSUANT TO DIRECTION FROM AGENCY HEADS

Federal offices in the Washington, DC area are OPEN. Please contact your supervisor to confirm telework schedule and to receive further direction from your agency head.

If you are not telework eligible or do not have access to telework equipment, please contact your supervisor to discuss next steps.

Please refer to OMB Guidance M-20-15 (https://www.whitehouse.gov/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/M20-15-Telework-Guidance-OMB.pdf) for full details. AGENCIES remain OPEN to serve the American people and conduct mission critical functions. Each EMPLOYEE should refer to their own agency for communications and guidance on telework or leave status.

Note: If you are a customer or member of the public planning to visit a Federal building, please confirm building/facility status before visiting. Some agency buildings and locations may have select hours, reduced in-person services, or visitor restrictions in place.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Possible cure in Australia:

www.news.com.au

Researchers want to trial drug ‘cure’ for coronavirus on patients

A team of Australian researchers say they’ve found a cure for the novel coronavirus and hope to have patients enrolled in a nationwide trial by the end of the month.
He said one of the medications, given to some of the first people to test positive for COVID-19 in Australia, had already resulted in "disappearance of the virus" and complete recovery from the infection.

Prof Paterson, who is also an infectious disease physician at the Royal Brisbane and Women's Hospital, said it wasn't a stretch to label the drugs "a treatment or a cure".

Sounds genuinely very promising.

edit: sounds like it's an HIV drug.

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
Last episode of TWiV was extremely interesting and super-informative. Everyone should give it a listen, here is a link:
http://www.microbe.tv/twiv/twiv-591/

One thing they talked about was how the pneumonia isn't caused by secondary infection but is actually viral pneumonia. I'm not a doctor but I guess that would rule out antibiotics at that stage of the illness.

Oct 25, 2017
Question is if the impact of this is going to be more negative than otherwise. It's still not clear how shutting down schools and daycare will not lead to shutting down everything else. What does a family of two doctors with kids do? What about everyone else who has kids? This isn't like spring break where people know it's coming and plan accordingly, this unprecedented. Will the garbage pick up people all going to be able to show up to work? TSA folks? Doctors? First responders? People working at the nuclear facilities?

critical infrastructure workers can wear protective gear if and when the pandemic progresses to that point

it is entirely possible to recognize the extent of this pandemic and the danger it poses without going into wild hypotheticals about nuclear power plants

May 24, 2019
How are people being expected to self isolate if you're travelling - I can't actually find any info on this?

I'm currently in Aus and should be going to NZ on the 23rd and have already had to post pone the tour I was booked on (which included accomodation) as they require people to isolate before getting on the bus.

NZ just banned 500 person gatherings, so are you sure the tour is still on?

E: Ah you're saying it's been put off, but you're still coming?
It's supposed to be hard to impossible. They definitely want to discourage unnecessary arrivals.

Last edited:

blazinglazers

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
This is probably where the two week quarantine thing came from

www.latimes.com

Fauci open to a 14-day national shutdown to stem coronavirus

The top infectious disease expert in the U.S. says he'd like to see measures such as a 14-day national shutdown to help slow the coronavirus spread.
Very interested to see how this pans out. My Dad regularly works with the Navy and told me a version of this (imminent 2 week national quarantine) tonight. He's not on social media or Facebook, and he's rarely misinformed. I also had journalist friend tell me that the National Guard is spinning up in some fashion. That LA Times reporting could either be the source of the "rumor" or just the first mention of what is actually going to be enacted.

Honestly, I really hope we do it.

Sep 14, 2019
Unless I want to use Postmates or something, I'm pretty limited with food. I also can't really afford to use those services or buy take-out food since my last paycheck was really small (and due to a certain non-substance addiction, ended up overspending on something else...).

Grocery stores don't have the food I need to cook. I have some dietary restrictions due to my diverticulosis, so I can't eat some of the food I have at home. I can't even make pasta since all the sauces are sold out.

I have cup noodles, fruit, and few other things. I ate a bunch of tortillas with lime and salt since I was craving something salty and didn't want to eat something sweet or cup noodles again.

I have some Mac and Cheese at work, so I'll eat some of that for lunch. I'll see if my Dad and I can stop by the grocery store early in the morning before work and stock up on some things.

I'm not starving. Just a bit of a nuisance. But I guess I'm just having a "First-World Problem" rant.

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
I'm kind of feeling like I'm beginning to be a mess mentally about all of this. And maybe trying to keep up with this thread is hurting me. Thank you guys for posting news and info when it comes up. I need to decompress from the news I think. It's not like I can work from home either. I have a delivery job so all I can do is just wash my hands and be careful I guess.