• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
I have an improv class that I do every week and today was the last day of Term 2 and we were supposed to start term 3 in 2 weeks but It has been post posted until further notice,y my job is taking huge cleaning precautions but I think it's only a matter of time before the store closes.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Food is an unlikely source of transmission in most cases I'd think. Especially with something like pizza where it's cooked and then put into a box without being touched.

Downhome

Oct 27, 2017
Okay, just one thing avoid any anti-inflammatory med if possible. A recent study say it may worsen your condition if you really have the virus
www.theguardian.com

Anti-inflammatories may aggravate Covid-19, France advises

French minister says patients should take paracetamol rather than ibuprofen or cortisone

Our ministry of health shared this info this week-end.
Please, take care. Keep yourself warm, hydrated and change clothes when you can.
If you feel you can't do it anymore then stop, don't force yourself, your health is more important.

Because of my kidney diseases, I'm unable to take ibuprofen any more. I wouldn't be shocked at all if that's true. I'm unable to take any sort of anti inflammatory medication.

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
Food is an unlikely source of transmission in most cases I'd think. Especially with something like pizza where it's cooked and then put into a box without being touched.
I would think pizza is the best thing you could order right now, because you can just throw it in the oven for five minutes and destroy any viral particles that may have gotten onto it after it was cooked originally.

Olinad

Oct 30, 2017
That's what I'm wondering.

I'm in Seattle hoping other states are seeing what happened here and what we're doing. I hope they're following suit.

...what are we doing?
I mean, I'm in Seattle too and all I see are shops open, people in the streets at all times, restaurants full and people partying on Friday night.
Most big companies "highly recommend" working from home, and we canceled big gatherings of more than 250 people... but I don't think it's nearly enough. I'm very afraid this is going to explode soon :(

(Not trying to be aggressive with the question, I am genuinely curious if I have missed other precautions that are being taken by the state. I mostly see companies doing stuff)

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
Guy guys have no idea how unpopular Trump is in Germany but this news story did not go over well here, like at all:
www.theguardian.com

Coronavirus: anger in Germany at report Trump seeking exclusive vaccine deal

Ministers and MPs criticise display of ‘self-interest’ and accuse US president of electioneering
It should be impossible to govern America worse than James Buchanan (the civil war guy right before Lincoln) but Trump may trump him too if he gets another 4 years.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth

Generally, if it's hot enough to eat, it's not hot enough to kill virus, so one advice is to reheat it for 2 minute in a oven at over 69 degree

Then where does it end? What about your mail? What about the water supply? Amazon shipping?

Clean and wipe your mail and package before opening it, cook your water before drinking?
It's not that difficult to practice safe habit.

Generally, mail and package can be safe, but if the person delivering has it, it can stay on there.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
The point is to stop it from spreading

Covid-19-curves-graphic-social-v3.gif

Here's what I don't understand about this graph - why would the curve be flattened, instead of just delayed?

I understand the idea of social distancing is to slow the rate at which the virus is spread so as to not overwhelm the current healthcare infrastructure. But despite how rigorous such measures may be, the virus will still be exchanged and circulated at some low level. So in 2-3 weeks when everyone returns to work, and everything starts opening up again, why wouldn't the rate of infection then skyrocket at that point, resulting in simply a delayed curve rather than a flattened one?

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Not sure what to do about work tomorrow. I only just started the job so I don't have my boss's personal phone number and I'm supposed to go into the office early before the receptionist is there so I can't call...man, I can't do this job at home, sucks if I have to give it up this soon.

Generally, if it's hot enough to eat, it's not hot enough to kill virus, so one advice is to reheat it for 2 minute in a oven at over 69 degree

Nice.

Cort

Nov 4, 2017
I hope you aren't touching any paper money. Because that is a lot more likely to get you sick than takeout from a restaurant

I feel like cash transactions are the majority of the transactions I've been personally dealing with too. Not sure what other retail-ERA members think about that.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Here's what I don't understand about this graph - why would the curve be flattened, instead of just delayed?

I understand the idea of social distancing is to slow the rate at which the virus is spread so as to not overwhelm the current healthcare infrastructure. But despite how rigorous such measures may be, the virus will still be exchanged and circulated at some low level. So in 2-3 weeks when everyone returns to work, and everything starts opening up again, why wouldn't the rate of infection then skyrocket at that point, resulting in simply a delayed curve rather than a flattened one?

I think that's part of the ongoing issue.... people are currently shutting shit down, but one of the bigger questions is how long we need to keep this up for. Business seem to be aiming for 2-3 weeks, but other estimates I've read say it should be longer (and the additional question is can we handle that?)
This is sorta new to a lot of us. We can definitely keep looking to how other countries respond to it; but we're most definitely at the middle of this and it's hardly over.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017

A delayed curve is a flattened curve. The area under the two curves is the same, but one keeps the sick at a manageable level for infrastructure.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017

Haven't seen this point brought up much, but ideally shutting things down for a couple weeks gives everyone a better chance to find and test coronavirus cases without having to constantly play catch up so much.

I don't like the goal of a flattened curve being that the same amount of people will get it just over a longer period of time, the goal should still be containment.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I told my principal today I think they're going to have to cancel the rest of the school year.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

You won't get an answer to that one, because this only works with herd immunity or the emergence of a vaccine. Otherwise you have to assume society will somehow be able to sustain such measures indefinitely, which it can't without making things worst.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like cash transactions are the majority of the transactions I've been personally dealing with too. Not sure what other retail-ERA members think about that.

I haven't read anything definitive about the dangers of paper money. I was just making the point that more people are touching paper money than are touching your takeout order.

Tom Nook

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Ignoring Staff Post and Posting Unsubstantiated Information
Received a text from a family member whose coworker knows someone from the Military at DC. The president could mandated a two-week quarantine for the nation.
Stock up people.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So how exactly does a lockdown work in terms of grocery shopping? Do I just...get in my car like usual and go to the store?

Chaos17

Oct 27, 2017
France
This is exactly what you're not supposed to do in clinical research: come up with conclusions based on underpowered subgroup retrospective analyses. At best, these days should generate a hypothesis that should be tested thoroughly. Surprise Lancet published this. Then again, this is the same journal that published Wakefield's antivax crap.
I trust my health ministry, he isn't an idiot and so far did a good job.
I am not saying you are wrong neither but it's not my place to debate about this and neither I've the knowledge about it.
I am only worried about a member of this forum who is out there working on the field doing his job (UPS delivery) and gave him an advice based on a trusted person.
Until that member can get help, I wanted to minimize the risk of his health worsening in case he has really the virus. But I pray that he only has the flu.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Received a text from a family member whose coworker knows someone from the Military at DC. The president could mandated a two-week quarantine for the nation.
Stock up people.
I heard Trudeau and Trump spoke on the phone this weekend, with Trudeau planning a big announcement at 1 pm today, are they planning a simultaneous lockdown?

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
I'm very scared to go out and buy more food because I know I'll get the news soon that it's already in my city. I'm scared to go see my mother because I'm afraid that if I have it, I'll end up giving it to her.

hailvera

Sep 4, 2019
Idunno, I still mostly get credit/debit payments (work in a grocery store so woo the last 72 hours have been a total nightmare), followed by cash payments, and then the occasional check. Though I have been noticing a LOT of people asking for cash back recently, waaaay more than usual.

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My work told us we could work remote. I have a new employee and told him he could but he insist on coming in anyway. Now I feel obligated to go in as well. Sigh

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't seen this point brought up much, but ideally shutting things down for a couple weeks gives everyone a better chance to find and test coronavirus cases without having to constantly play catch up so much.

I don't like the goal of a flattened curve being that the same amount of people will get it just over a longer period of time, the goal should still be containment.

Containment simply isn't feasible at this point. It's just about mitigation and delay.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
Jalisco, Yucatán & Guanajuato suspended classes starting next Tuesday (March 17th) onwards.

Tec de Monterrey, IPN, Universidad Autónoma de Puebla, COLMEX, Universidad de Monterrey & Universidad de Guadalajara (so far) have switched to online modalities.

WTF is UNAM waiting for???
Yeah, mostly everyone was yelling at UANL (Universidad de Nuevo León) to cancel classes and they finally took the shot this weekend. So now we gotta deal with stupid teenagers thinking they got actual vacations.

Nope. If the cook is ill you are fucked. Stop thinking about money.
Yeah, I'm not risking ordering food right now. I'm not gonna eat anything that I haven't prepared myself. Doing otherwise sounds risky as fuck.

JustInsane

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like theres too much smoke going around for Canada not to go on lockdown tommorow. Gonna have to start doing some half assed home workouts now too.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Containment simply isn't feasible at this point. It's just about mitigation and delay.
China/Wuhan got it totally under control. Yes it's a different situation now, but if some countries can coordinate lockdowns and use the time to do as much testing as possible and track down all cases, we have a chance at containment and at the very least severely reducing the amount of people it infects over time.

FeistyBoots

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
Hey, here's something to remember in all this: homeless people can't self-quarantine, because we have no homes in which to do so.

We're either forced to be in public, or crammed into overcrowded shelters.

So what do we do? Just die?