• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

aznpxdd

Oct 25, 2017
Mask does work, for peeps that are sick and don't know it and still going out everywhere (aka shittons of people in US..) - which seems to be a huge issue for the Covid.

-Devious-

Oct 25, 2017
Put the heater on if not already if you still feel cold turn on more your heater, keep yourself warm.
Take your temperature.
Are you coughing?

Also think, did you go to any big gathering recently?
This one major factor that can tell health care staff if you've the flu or not.
I don't have a thermometer. I have been coughing and my throat itches. I slept all day yesterday.

Deleted member 28474

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Fellow aussies what do you think is the timeline before restaurants, clubs, bars get forced to close here? I have a friend that works in a nightclub that said to me he doubts it will get to that point when i told him to get ready financially... You got to be realistic i tell him but he thinks it wont happen.

Hopefully this week but fuck knows, really.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
I'm about to get a lot of free time. Job is closing down after tomorrow till April 20th.

I guess it depends on the industry and if you are still being paid, but are you not expected to do some kind of work? or no?

I work in a print shop so there's lots I cannot do, but I also do some graphic work so it will be interesting to see what they expect of me. Shop is down to only 3 or so people having to come in (may change). I'm currently off as my son was just born so I was off this coming week anyways.

Tribal24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I know of a certain federal agency that has at least several cases. Everyone is still supposed to show up tomorrow, and they've said they're going to do the rotating shift thing - sometime. Fucking USELESS.

Yeah that is so fucking useless. I'm surprised my job is not putting things on halt or anything, work from home requires you to get a doctor's note to work for home. Even then if they were to do a deep cleaning of the building won't matter because someone can test positive and it would spread.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Wrong. Thankfully, any country can determine what to do on their own, there's no world-police, and individuals can request to be test subjects if they want to. All it takes is one country to lift up some restrictions, some willing participants, and if it works other countries will follow suit.

Government official: Coronavirus vaccine trial starts Monday
Even if initial safety tests go well, "you're talking about a year to a year and a half" before any vaccine could be ready for widespread use, according to Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of NIH's National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases.
???

I would really, really, really rather not have to have a discussion around the ethics of "lifting restrictions" when it comes to human experimentation.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wrong. Thankfully, any country can determine what to do on their own, there's no world-police, and individuals can request to be test subjects if they want to. All it takes is one country to lift up some restrictions, some willing participants, and if it works other countries will follow suit.

Not wrong at all. It's correct. It will still take a year after suddenly starting a trial tomorrow. Need to go through the entire spectrum of safety measures and tests to make sure healthy people getting the vaccine dont have negative effects. That testing takes months just for that aspect.

J2C

Oct 26, 2017
The way these owners act is that state governments are suddenly like, anti-restaurant. Yeah... no, you don't get it. Yes it sucks for workers and money to lose, but do you REALLY want to be liable if something happens?

Its a complete "Whoa is me" response, at the expense of people's lives. A purposely unintelligent response.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Good. I live in Ontario, and I have 60+ year old parents.

This virus needs to fucking slow the hell down, ASAP.
My mother turned 70 today and is one month removed from hip surgery. My father has a bum hip of his own and dealing with shingles on top of it. I would welcome a shutdown... especially with new COVID-19 cases cropping up in my region over the weekend from people who haven't travelled out of the country.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
Mask does work, for peeps that are sick and don't know it and still going out everywhere (aka shittons of people in US..) - which seems to be a huge issue for the Covid.
With Covid even masks are barely functional to protect others from yourself. Standard surgical or material masks are largely ineffective, n95 masks are more effective but rarely fitted correctly.

That's not to say people shouldn't wear them if ill but it doesn't significantly reduce risk of transmission. Covid-19 can be transmitted via breath not just coughing so masks are less effective with finer particles.

If you're sick, stay away from everyone is the only truly effective measure.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
wouldnt be shocked if there are rules that prevent full wfh for government employees.

It's the contractors. The FTEs are already doing the 3 day in/3 day wfh useless rotation. The contractors keep being told that the company is still working out "contractual obligations" with the government. They're just slow-walking this thing and it's infuriating.

Chaos17

Oct 27, 2017
France
I don't have a thermometer. I have been coughing and my throat itches. I slept all day yesterday.
Okay, try to call your doctor he might be easier to rich to get info.
But still try to think, have you gone to any place during the last 2 weeks with a lot of people gathering?

Please, take care, try to drink a lot of water for your throat, keep yourself warm and hydrated (since you are sweating and don't continue to wear your clothes if they're wet!)

Keep us informed, also where do you live, America if yes which state ? We could maybe find something with you while you try reaching your doctor.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
Im coming down with something akin to the flu. Sore throat, dry cough, hot, sweating, and a runny nose. I have to use my asthma inhaler more frequently. What does one do in this occasion? I dont want to freak out but I also dont want to hurt others. I dont have any sick days.

Stay inside, avoid contact with other people. If you have a fever that gets out of control or the difficulty breathing gets serious then go to the hospital.

If you don't need medical care, leaving your house to get tested will just expose you to others. Act as if you have it even if you may not.

Fanuilos

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Wow, the school system in my area is closing for two weeks. I live in a pretty rural part of the US so I thought for sure they would hand wave it off for a couple more weeks. Glad they're taking it seriously.

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
I guess it depends on the industry and if you are still being paid, but are you not expected to do some kind of work? or no?

I work in a print shop so there's lots I cannot do, but I also do some graphic work so it will be interesting to see what they expect of me. Shop is down to only 3 or so people having to come in (may change). I'm currently off as my son was just born so I was off this coming week anyways.
I'm in the film and TV industry in NYC and the local union is already going on hiatus and shutting down all union productions.

I'm only getting paid for this week. I will ask about the rest of next month, but I doubt it.

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
Sounds like in my city you won't get tested unless you have underlying conditions and are really old. That's bullshit.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Kansas City just banned groups of 50 or more for eight weeks. And just like that, three wedding obligations just disappeared.

Ouroboros

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Pittsburgh, PA here...we have been ordered to close all non-essential businesses and stop restaurants from dining in for two weeks. Crazy times. It's going to be quiet in Pittsburgh tomorrow.

Lexxism

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Well I saw the rumor and then saw the Ontario tweet...

But then afterwards I got a call from someone who claims they are Doug Ford's friend and everything is shutting down tomorrow at 11AM

Total grain of salt. Also think if it's happening it would be Canada not the provinces
Ah. Hopefully this is true. We are definitely not flattening the curve.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
I'm in the film and TV industry in NYC and the local union is already going on hiatus and shutting down all union productions.

I'm only getting paid for this week. I will ask about the rest of next month, but I doubt it.

ah ok. Well good luck. My sister-in-law is a film director/freelancer and her husband is a video editor so I know they are going to be struggling soon. They are out in LA.

I work at a university so as far as I know I will continue to be paid for as long as I'm off. I feel really lucky.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
As someone with a compromised immune system, those whole thing has made more aware how stupid people are seemingly incapable of traveling long distances to get into your personal space. Like I was looking at something in the frozen food aisle and this woman comes across and walks through the small gap between me and the glass door, instead of just walking behind me. At work, a guy selects the urinal right next mine, even though there are about 7 others he could have gone to, and lets out a big yawn.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA here...we have been ordered to close all non-essential businesses and stop restaurants from dining in. Crazy times. It's going to be quiet in Pittsburgh tomorrow.
Yep, I just got word to WFH until the situation changes.

I would love to switch spots with my parents (both 60+). I'm so scared for them, since they work with lots of people.

Jupiter IV

Jan 6, 2018
Sounds like in my city you won't get tested unless you have underlying conditions and are really old. That's bullshit.

The daily briefing with Pence was pretty frustrating how they're trying to be like "We have to focus on healthcare workers and those who are sick"

Which is true. But all I heard was a distraction from the fact that we are weeks behind having tests ready, and we need to be doing millions of tests, starting a week ago.

brochiller

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I'm not sure what you are trying to get at here. No country is going to let an unproven vaccine be unleashed to the public outside of small trials.

To start, my SO works for a company who manufacturers vaccines and we are both scientists in the pharmaceutical industry so please don't lecture me on what the hold ups with vaccine production are.

Anyone can start a trial. There's a long way to go before it finishes, which is what I said in my previous post. How long do you have to monitor patients before you can safely say they aren't going to contract the virus? How long until you can see that they've developed no side effects?

Oh and then do it all over again with a larger group of patients.

If that works then maybe you can start manufacturing the vaccine on a large scale. Which is rate limited by biological processes we simply cannot overcome.

I'm just trying to say don't get you hopes up for something in the next several months.

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Washington is now shutting down restaurants and bars as well. Takeout and delivery still allowed. No gatherings over 50 people.

Chaos17

Oct 27, 2017
France

It's because the virus has different stage, what he got is the first stage.

Tracking-corona-in-humans.png

Source : https://www.hindustantimes.com/indi...-human-body/story-0VTwWF8NjZzNvZ7Ut9pfuN.html

That's why it's super important to not gather in group because first the virus is highly contagious, second it has different stage that people can end or stay in and that's why there is confinement because of these very different stage.

Doby

Oct 25, 2017
Stay inside, avoid contact with other people. If you have a fever that gets out of control or the difficulty breathing gets serious then go to the hospital.

If you don't need medical care, leaving your house to get tested will just expose you to others. Act as if you have it even if you may not.

And just to add to this, even if it's not THE virus, it is a virus of somekind which will be contagious. Heath systems do not need any additional stress right now so making sure you don't infect anyone with anything is really important.

If you've got no sick days you're going to have to communicate that with your employer and work something out.

Oct 25, 2017
I have a 38 fever tonight and a mild sore throat...no other symptoms but not a good feeling. Haven't been out since Monday morning but have handled deliveries. I think we've been careful to wash our hands and things, so it's probably a false alarm, but still. I wish I lived alone, I don't want to have to worry about my wife and kid so much.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
It's because the virus has different stage, what he got is the first stage.

Tracking-corona-in-humans.png

Source : https://www.hindustantimes.com/indi...-human-body/story-0VTwWF8NjZzNvZ7Ut9pfuN.html

That's why it's super important to not gather in group because first the virus is highly contagious, second it has different stage that people can end or stay in and that's why there is confinement because of these very different stage.

>> Even though Suarez has the virus and could spread it around through social contact, he wouldn't know he had it if it weren't the publicized positive test of Fabio Wajngarten, press secretary to Brazilian President Jair Boslonaro. Wajngarten and Suarez were all in the same room on two occasions on March 9.

He's past day 3.

Jupiter IV

Jan 6, 2018
It's normal to do the stuff 2 times to weed out false positive, at least for other diseases, with the very low testing capabilities of some nation who known.

It can depend on the test as well (I think). The first HIV test is an antibody test, which can have false positives. So if that test comes back positive, a confirmation test is done which actually tests for the virus itself. I have no idea the types of tests they're using for this.