• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheDutchSlayer

Did you find it? Cuez I didn't!
Oct 26, 2017
The Hauge, The Netherlands
User Banned (1 week): ignoring the modpost in regards to posting unsubstantiated rumors
pastebin.com

SpanishCovid19POV - Pastebin.com

Pastebin.com is the number one paste tool since 2002. Pastebin is a website where you can store text online for a set period of time.
(A Google translated transcript of a Spanish doctor's perspective of the coronavirus crisis and public health
risk from Barcelona.)

Why is COVID-19 extremely dangerous? The danger level of an infectious agent depends on the combination of 3 factors: the "vector of contagion" (how it is transmitted), morbidity and mortality.

COVID-19 has a contagion vector between 1.5 and 2.5, that is, 3 times higher than influenza. Which implies that its spread is geometric: 1-2-4-8-16-32-64-128-256 ... but worst of all, unlike influenza and SARS, the last coronavirus epidemic in 2003, this is also spread during the two weeks of incubation, before even having symptoms (ed: average incubation thought to be ~5 days).

As for the morbidity-mortality, it is as follows. One thing must be clear: WE ARE ALL GOING TO BE INFECTED BY COVID-19 in the next three months (ed: other data disagrees with this).

Of every 1000 people who are infected, 900 will pass it asymptomatically, including children and young people. 100 will show symptoms. Of those 100, 80 will feel it like a very screwed up flu: dry cough, headache and muscle. That is, two or three weeks at home feeling worse than a dog. Of the remaining 20, 15 will develop bilateral pneumonia with difficulty breathing, which will require hospital admission to administer bronchodilators, corticosteroids, and oxygen. The remaining 5 will develop pulmonary fibrosis that will require immediate admission to the ICU with assisted breathing. Of those 5, 3 will die. And the two that are saved will present sequels that will possibly force a lung transplant.

These are the figures that are currently handled in the western scientific community. The data in China is worse because its health system was not prepared.

Seen like that, it doesn't seem that serious, does it? The problem is that, unlike the flu, to which a part of the population is vaccinated and also attacks progressively throughout 5 months of the year, this infection is a wave (See Italy). So in two-three months all infections will occur.

So we already have the data to do the math. Of the 40 million Spaniards, only 4 million will have symptoms. Of which 3,200,000 will have a bad flu at home. 600,000 will need hospital admission with oxygen. And 200,000 will need ICU. The problem is that in Spain there are, between the public and private health systems, only 200,000 hospital beds and 3,800 ICU beds. Do you see the problem?

The real problem is not the disease itself, despite the fact that it has a significant morbidity and mortality, but, due to its epidemiological characteristics, it comes in a wave infecting a whole population that has no previous immunity in a matter of 2-3 months, COLLAPSING THE SANITARY SYSTEM ... !!!!

This means that when hospital beds and ICUs are full, it will be necessary to apply what is known as War Medicine. That is, when for each bed that is free there are 7 people waiting, the professionals will have to decide who they already attend who are sent home saying that they will send them a doctor and an oxygen cylinder, which will never come because they will also be finished. That decision will be made based on age and general condition. That is, the youngest will be chosen, who will have a better chance of survival. This without counting the rest of serious and urgent pathologies: heart attacks, strokes, traffic accidents, etc. All this without beds and without ICU.

This looks like a science fiction movie, but this is happening RIGHT NOW in northern Italy. A country that two weeks ago was like us (Spain) now, let us not forget.

Healthcare in Madrid has already collapsed. They are telling the population that if they have symptoms, do not go to hospitals or health centers or call 112, but rather call 900 102 112. There are people who have been calling all morning and cannot get their phone picked up . It is expected that, at the rate it is spreading, Spanish Health will collapse in early April.

This is the situation. What to do then? Let's see. This is a lottery: every time you go outside or touch surfaces or go to gatherings, you buy tickets. The more tickets you buy, the higher chance you have of "winning" your prize: infection. Therefore, what you must do is NOT BUY BALLOTS.

In other words, for the next few weeks, go exclusively to work (ed: or not, if possible) and buy from the supermarket when necessary. Do not eat outside, do not go to any gathering of people, do not use public transport. It will only be a few weeks.

You may be wondering: if we are all going to take it, why isolate ourselves so much? As you will see, whether a person suffers the disease asymptomatically, such as the flu or needs hospital admission, depends fundamentally on the age and immune status of the patient. But also of a concept called "viral load", that is, the number of millions of viruses that have entered our body at the time of infection. The higher that viral load, the more damage the virus can do to our lungs as our defenses organize and make the antibodies to defend themselves. Obviously it is not the same to kiss an infected person, directly breathe infected moisture droplets from an infected person or touch an object where those droplets have fallen 3 hours ago and then touch our faces.

So we must all try to ensure that, when we get infected, the viral load is as low as possible. That is why it is recommended not to attend meetings of people or public places.
WELL THEN.......................

R2RD

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 6, 2018
Finally my country has decided to stop flights from Europe and other countries with a high amount of cases it only took them 84 years. :/
I'm definitely sick but I think it's common cold. Mucus and sore throat aren't the M.O. of this - it's more lungs right?
I think shortness of breath, fever and body aches are the most common symptoms.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
People panic and buying stuff excessively is not only stupid it's also dangerous, I wonder how many of these mass buyers are scalpers

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
People panic and buying stuff excessively is not only stupid it's also dangerous, I wonder how many of these mass buyers are scalpers

The problem is that it forces people who don't panic buy (us) to start panic buying because the panic buyers are emptying the shelves.

We're just not ready for this. This is the calm before the storm.

Jibreel

Oct 25, 2017
I literally cannot buy any water. Never seen anything like this before.

Had the same experience with Publix this morning. They were completely out of stock! They didn't even have shitty brands like Dasani available. Fortunately, unlike a weather disasters which causes closures to streets and highways, I imagine/hope things will get restocked at regular intervals.

R8tedm3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
User Warned: Thread derailment
Have any of you seen this yet This is just bat-shit insane!!! Sorry for low-res images, they're from the phone!!
49661161293_ff4bcc282d_c.jpg
49661983927_004042d97e_c.jpg
49661704291_5b6b40cbd4_c.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Had the same experience with Publix this morning. They were completely out of stock! They didn't even have shitty brands like Dasani available. Fortunately, unlike a weather disasters which causes closures to streets and highways, I imagine/hope things will get restocked at regular intervals.
Y'all should get a filter and use tap water.

everyer

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

alex.magnus

Oct 28, 2017
honestly that is just statistics at play: given the number of existing novels in the world I'm pretty sure you can find one that would fit any narrative

everyer

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Lockdown is difficult, but can you use the 2-4 weeks after lockdown to find out all the cases and get them quarantine with medical support, that is more important than lockdown itself. If you just lockdown but can't cut the transmission, the lockdown seems useless.

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
Because that'd take their personal resources, which means losing money. If the US literally trying to make coronavirus vaccine research US-exclusive is any indication, most American upper management entities aren't too altruistic in the current crisis situation. Peak "fuck you, got mine" mentality.

That's absolutely bullshit on their part. Makes me so mad. Like when Google was arguing publicly they weren't going to be developing a nationwide website after Trump said it in his press conference on Friday. Like, we could get five Resetera members to make a nation-wide website in a day. That they wouldn't even do that for the common good of the nation just infuriates me. Makes me want Bernie to win so we can tax the living fuck out of them and limit CEO compensation. These companies need a gut check.

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
I can't believe people are thinking he's posting the book to somehow prove it was a man made virus smh.

Have a bit of common sense.

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's from a book published almost 4 decades ago! That's what crazy!!

They just put your current scary enemy to the American.

They redacted the name few times, it started with a Russian city instead changed to a Chinese city after Russian were not scary anymore.
Plus nothing match between the 2 infection.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
I mean, I prepared a little bit with the last grocery shopping so I can maybe skip a week with buying food, but I don't think that's too crazy. 🤷‍♂️

loUs39J.jpg

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
Seems a lot of malls in Canada are changing their hours starting tomorrow from 11-7 instead of around 10-9 depending on the mall.

I dunno. Seems like cramming the same people in less hours isn't going to make matters better.

Haelsly

Oct 25, 2017
Had plans to travel to England from here in Australia two days from now. Made the decision this evening to cancel. With the likelihood of mass gatherings being banned disrupting our plans and our own potential vulnerabilities (myself with type one diabetes, my mum being in her sixties), as well as the concern of unintentionally infecting others, it feels like the most sensible move ... but fuck am I broken up about having had to make it. This really felt like a once in a lifetime sort of trip for me.

Sorry for the vent, Era. Hope I don't sound like I'm whining or something.

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Recommendations? I've heard of Brita filters but i'm unfamiliar with how effective they are.
Tap water is for the most part completely safe. Brita filters remove impurities that the municipal water system can't get out and removes minerals that affect taste.

Water sits in tanks first to remove large particulates after reagents are added. Then they go thru a series of filtration processes. It's tested frequently but that doesn't mean that a situation like Flint could happen where human error cause lead from pipes to leach into the system exposing 100,000 people to contaminants. Or fracking leaking natural gas into the water supply.

Overall very safe to drink tap water. It's insane the amount of plastic waste from bottled water and it's mostly unnecessary

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, I prepared a little bit with the last grocery shopping so I can maybe skip a week with buying food, but I don't think that's too crazy. 🤷‍♂️

loUs39J.jpg
This is acceptable. Normal groceries + 1 extra from some items. When places get stocked again, you could do this with other products. This way other people who are still at work (the people we really need right now) and older people can buy some items as well. Stores should limit the amount people can buy for each item. People who try to buy everything availabe for themselves should be given a big fine for even trying.

Gorgosh

Oct 26, 2017
Be careful, some jumped at my throat for saying this lol

Anyway, the mood of this thread is definitely weird. There is far too much panic.
I also think the mood on this forum considering this Virus is very unhealthy. There are many people on here who already suffer psychological problems/depressions etc and this thread is one huge fear-spirale that goes on 24/7.
Also I will say again, like ~200 pages ago, you can't take the numbers you want and spread fear with them.
On the one hand most people here say that countries test too little and many more people are infected (i concur with this statement, the undetected cases are probably a huge number), but at the same time you still go with the 3,6% mortality rate (or worse). That just doesn't add up. If the undected cases are a huge number, the mortality rate will automatically be (way) lower.
Please think about stuff yourself and don't get hang up in the fear-spiral, if you are in it you won't escape easily with the current situation going on for the next weeks.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
All the mind controlled panic buyers are suddenly buying all the unfriedgerated vegan alt-milks 😔

Also at a DM yesterday I saw dish soap sold out for some reason lol.

vastag

Oct 26, 2017
What does asymptomatic mean? Is it possible for someone to have the virus, then not know their immune system killed the virus?

The first stages of infection are asymptomatic, you have the virus but there is no external symptoms. Most data shows that you are already infectious at this stage. You can go from 4 to 14 days without showing any symptom. That's one of the reasons why is so difficult to control the infections.

Last edited:

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
UFC becomes the lone major US sport that refuses to shutdown

The UFC is seeking new venue options for its upcoming events after a series of developments regarding the coronavirus on Saturday.

Additionally, the UFC's plan to host all foreseeable events inside its own Apex facility in Las Vegas is no longer feasible, after the Nevada State Athletic Commission on Saturday suspended all combat sports events in the state. Another NSAC meeting has been scheduled for March 25, but the UFC is already in the process of moving planned cards on March 28 and April 11.

"Obviously, things are changing by the hour," White said on ESPN. "This morning, they announced new travel restrictions for the U.K., so [the March 21 event] can't continue in London. But the fight will go on. We're working on finding a new venue, likely in the United States, and I have my matchmakers literally working right now to put together the undercard.

"As of now, fights can't happen at the Apex here in Las Vegas. So, we're working to find new locations, but the fights will go on; they will continue. We're not stopping."

www.espn.com

White: UFC relocating events; 'fights will go on'

UFC president Dana White said he is seeking new venues for upcoming events amid a series of developments regarding the coronavirus but stressed that the fights "will happen."

alex.magnus

Oct 28, 2017
Be careful, some jumped at my throat for saying this lol

Anyway, the mood of this thread is definitely weird. There is far too much panic.
to be fair the original report was from whatsapp and was quoting a university as it source. the university itself said that it was fake news.
if you do claim this to be true please just post a reputable source with the studies that back it up.

hearsay can be beyond dangerous because people panic easily.

on a side note I never heard anyone taking ibuprofen for fever :/