• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 15311

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hard to say definitively, keeping those people in ICU is good for general public health. You don't want those people walking around of accidentally infecting someone else. Singapore did this, if you tested positive you were basically forced to stay at the hospital, it wasn't an option to leave.
Yeah,that was what i was thinking. Here in Portugal (at least the people i know) if you develop a pneumonia you're going into ICU no matter what, i don't know if they are doing this. I'm just going to stay put working from home and that's it and i think we might be too late. Panicking about people under 50 in ICU won't help anyone, plenty of people have strokes under 50 and that is something usually associated with age.

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
Canadian case update for today:

BC +9 new cases
Alberta +10 new cases (2 serious/ICU).
Ontario +24 new cases
Quebec +4 new cases
Newfoundland +1 new case.
Prince Edward Island +1 new case.

Total: +48 new cases. Largest increase yet.

Canada total: 247 cases. 1 death. 3 serious/ICU. 11 recovered.
Appreciate you always posting the Canadian updates, Rowsdower .

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
Canadian case update for today:

BC +9 new cases
Alberta +10 new cases (2 serious/ICU).
Ontario +24 new cases
Quebec +4 new cases
Newfoundland +1 new case.
Prince Edward Island +1 new case.

Total: +48 new cases. Largest increase yet.

Canada total: 247 cases. 1 death. 3 serious/ICU. 11 recovered.

Hmm. Are we not flattening the curve anymore? :( Still seem to be in BC...usually only between 7-11 new cases in a day. Though this might be different now because they're going to prioritize testing...

feline fury

Dec 8, 2017
Anecdotally, hospital traffic for COVID suspicions is ramping up. I don't know how our preparedness compares to other hospitals around the country but it felt like there were headless chickens running around today. I hope we iron out these issues sooner rather than later. If Saturday already has this kind of activity, this coming week is going to be busy, I think.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Hmm. Are we not flattening the curve anymore? :( Still seem to be in BC...usually only between 7-11 new cases in a day. Though this might be different now because they're going to prioritize testing...

We were always going to see more cases with more testing. Especially now that we have specific testing centres in certain provinces. There's one by me in Toronto, run by North York General. No appointments needed. It had over 200 people as soon as it opened. The testing centres will help free up emergency and walk-in clinics. The fact that outside of 3 cases, all of them are self-isolating at home is great! Helps keep the ICU's clear for a while longer.

Plum

May 31, 2018
You need to step away from this thread.
Look, this is a discussion forum. While people post facts, a lot of it is also opinions and fears with varying connection to reality and exaggeration. If you can't separate those things from what is actually going on and it's negatively affecting your mental health, I truly suggest you to distance yourself from this discussion and stick to getting updates through official sources. Also because you are being very alarmist and that might spread the same thing you're feeling to other members with anxiety.

Sorry, I will. I just want somewhere that I can go to get actual news on the situation; here felt like the best place but looking now phrases like "The Last of Us/Walking Dead situation," "as many deaths as WW2," and "the most terrifying thing I've ever read." are just dragging me down whether or not they're based in fact. I realise that I've contirbuted to that kind of stuff as well, and I am really sorry about that. I'm just so scared and I guess I want someone to tell me it's going to be all OK, but expecting strangers to do that is just silly.

However I can't simply ignore it because that just feels like it'll make things worse. I just wish there was somewhere I could bookmark to go when I want to find something new about this.

I don't know. I feel like I just need to take some time off from everything, but until things calm down with this crisis and my family is safe I just can't. So I need to find the next best thing and I have no idea what that is.

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017
I'm here because I know that it's likely to be filled with less obvious misinformation as somewhere like Reddit or biased media sources. This very page it's shown that 50% of ICU patients rae under 60.

As for hysteria, right now it feels like I'm the only sane one.

None of my family wants to go on lockdown. My work doesn't want to go on lockdown. The country doesn't want to go on lockdown. Nobody seems to be taking this seriously. Even my fucking 94 year old Grandparent went to a concert tonight.

My anxiety right now is because I can't do what I feel I should do based on what I do know and that, even if I could, none of that would matter. I want to be productive but I just can't.

what country?

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017

Edit: they removed the paywall in response to the backlash, but why are government updates being given exclusively to The Telegraph?

Takuhi

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if it's been discussed yet but I'm seeing that the Democrats caved on the bill, meaning 80% of workers, especially the ones that truly need it, are not getting their paid sick leave.

Unreal. It's hard to even describe how frustrated I am. I know people who work at places like Wal Mart and knowing that they will have to go work sick is just so disgusting.

There is a thread about this, but we don't know if it's true or not. The official summary of the bill and the text of the bill are apparently at odds about whether this loophole is in it, and it isn't yet clear which version was the one that was voted on.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Unfortuantely I think a lot of this is from travellers coming back from the US and/or snowbirds who panicked and are rushing back to Canada.

I hope they are responsible and self quarantine for a period of time.
10 new cases in Alberta, Canada, bringing the total in the province to 39. Eight are connected to travel, while two are community transmission.

Unfortunately, two of the cases are serious, both in ICU. Both patients are in their 60's, one from Edmonton and the other from Calgary. No info if they have underlying conditions. The rest of the cases are self-isolating and are at home; expected to make a full recovery.

edmonton.ctvnews.ca

10 new coronavirus cases in Alberta, 2 in intensive care

There are 10 new COVID-19 cases in Alberta, bringing the province total to 39.

Notably Alberta is one of the provinces that has not shut down schools/most events yet.

Aren't the schools due for a spring/Easter break soon anyway? Shut down the damn schools.

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018
We were always going to see more cases with more testing. Especially now that we have specific testing centres in certain provinces. There's one by me in Toronto, run by North York General. No appointments needed. It had over 200 people as soon as it opened. The testing centres will help free up emergency and walk-in clinics. The fact that outside of 3 cases, all of them are self-isolating at home is great! Helps keep the ICU's clear for a while longer.

That's awesome you're being part of the efforts to screen and keep the virus under control in Canada. Kudos for that. It seems things haven't ramped up over there, is that right?

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NVM not supposed to talk about this. Just do the math with half the population infected and a 1% death rate.

It's a lot.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
That's awesome you're being part of the efforts to screen and keep the virus under control in Canada. Kudos for that. It seems things are under control over there, is that right?

Oh, I meant near me, not run by me. I don't work in healthcare. I work in security. Sorry if I gave you that impression.

Things are generally under control. I mean we still have panic buyers and everything, and stores are getting bare. But our government on all three levels are initiating some good measures, and the shut down of schools/gatherings/major events will help.

Canadian's were worried nothing would be done until it was too late, since our governments are known for dilly-dallying. They seem to have responded well, and that fact that we only have 247 cases over three months is pretty good.

We also seem to be taking cue from South Korea, starting up drive-thru testing and centres only meant for COVID-19, thus freeing up hospitals and clinics. We are also lucky that we, so far, have very little serious cases and only 1 death.

There is more they can do, mainly restricting/closing the US border, as a lot of our cases are travel related and from the States, but that will take time. Also it's a big deal.

elty

Oct 31, 2017
Just to shed some lights on italy numbers: Asymptomic people are not counted ( One Bug difference to SK) that's why the lethality rate ist so high.

That is still quite high though when compared to China who also doesn't count them.
We will test less though, so expect the number slow down until it goes up again.

Dec 31, 2017
Had to skip dodge out of Spain today. Holy fuck I was stressed. The way things tangibly escalated over 2 days was just wild. Overstressed and sleep deprived, but home...

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I'm here because I know that it's likely to be filled with less obvious misinformation as somewhere like Reddit or biased media sources. This very page it's shown that 50% of ICU patients rae under 60.

As for hysteria, right now it feels like I'm the only sane one.

None of my family wants to go on lockdown. My work doesn't want to go on lockdown. The country doesn't want to go on lockdown. Nobody seems to be taking this seriously. Even my fucking 94 year old Grandparent went to a concert tonight.

My anxiety right now is because I can't do what I feel I should do based on what I do know and that, even if I could, none of that would matter. I want to be productive but I just can't.

I feel you. I was so anxious about nobody here apparently giving a fuck for the past two weeks that I couldn't sleep properly. It didn't really help that I have a big project I need to be working on and trying to be productive in any way was a constant struggle.
Now that my country is on lockdown and everything is closed and people are quarantined to their own homes, I feel a lot calmer. I know it's going to get a lot worse before it gets better, but at least we're doing the right things and now there's nothing left but wait.

It's the waiting for the shoe to drop that's the worst.

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
I'm becoming more and more convinced that I had Covid-19 when I was sick at the end of January. All the symptoms line up.

I had a fever, sore joints, the worst cold ever where I could not breathe through my nose even after blowing it. Also three days of no ability to taste and smell. I made the hottest indonesian dish of my life (judging by the ingredients) and still, it was just textures to me. Very weird.

The worst bit was the throat and lungs though.

I have had a sore throat and coughing fits before but not like this. The throat was not sore at all and it was as if the act of coughing almost never had the beneficial effect on the cause that you are used to. Usually it clears away the slime in your throat which was the reason you coughed in the first place. In this case it felt as if the cause came from the lungs. Hard to describe but it was as if something was rattling down there and in some way hindering air coming up/down which sent the "you'd better cough," signal to the brain. The coughing just made the thing down there rattle further which again provoked further coughing. It was exhausting to say the least and for the three worst days of the illness I found it difficult to breathe at times.

I was sick for 14 days straight. Still had a mild cough for five days after that.

One silver lining to this is that my parents caught it four days after me and are recovered so I am less worried about them getting Covid-19 than I would be otherwise. They had an identical experience to mine.