• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
It's a hard decision because any action to you take right now might need to be followed through with for 3-6 months, unless the government finally starts doing what China, South Korea, and Japan are doing.

Yeah I'm not going to demand anything, still be very professional about it, my line manager and I have a really great working relationship and actually cares how I'm doing. My honest opinion, I have a feeling this silence is just them formulating a contingency plan, whether the building should remain open to those who can't work from home, can we take some equipment (monitors, docks, etc) home, and so on.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
I suspect Germany will face an Italy-style lockdown situation very soon, too. Multiple cities are already closing all non-essential business and prohibiting all events (private and public, without any allowed participant-limit).
Actually have no idea if such a lockdown would be mandated nationwide here or is decided by each state like the school closures.
Goverment is still trying to get lucky but imo the lockdown is only a matter of time. I drove by hamburg downtown today and it was packed. People are too irrespnsible to be able to do it without a lockdown.

We'll probably reach 5k tomorrow and 10k by mid/end of the week. They don't really have a choice.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
I'm finding that I may have to start eating out more soon. With nonperishable and frozen food now almost impossible to find, I gotta keep the supply that I have.

I may order a couple more pizzas during the week, and divide and freeze them.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
I'm finding that I may have to start eating out more soon. With food now almost impossible to find, I gotta keep the supply that I have.

Yeah I have a feeling a lot of people are going to have to do that with all the hoarding going around. Either risk it and eat out/order in, or eat whatever scraps you have left.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
President of Spain just appeared some minutes ago deciding for a total lockdown starting on monday.
No person should move from his home if its not for the essential, go for food, take money from the bank, go for medicine, go to a hospital o go to work in the few open essential jobs. this is by law, so people can get arrested and fine if not cooperating.

He also said in the questions he is answering now that monday was chosen instead of tomorrow so people can do final stuff before lockdown (he started the talk at 8:30pm).
Sadly im sure some fucking idiots were use this to have their last "free day outside" because of this (though places should be already closed tomorrow).

Garfield

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2018
President of Spain just appeared some minutes ago deciding for a total lockdown starting on monday.
No person should move from his home if its not for the essential, go for food, take money from the bank, go for medicine, go to a hospital o go to work in the few open essential jobs. this is by law, so people can get arrested and fine if not cooperating.

He also said in the questions he is answering now that monday was chosen instead of tomorrow so people can do final stuff before lockdown (he started the talk at 8:30pm).
Sadly im sure some fucking idiots were use this to have their last "free day outside" because of this (though places should be already closed tomorrow).

can Spain economy handle this, as it never really fully recovered from financial crash?

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany

Last free day? Final stuff before lockdown?
What the hell can you even do on a Sunday? Besides moving to a family or something.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a hard decision because any action to you take right now might need to be followed through with for 3-6 months, unless the government finally starts doing what China, South Korea, and Japan are doing.

Is Japan really even doing anything that specific other than school shut downs? SK as well there isn't really a lock down, they are just testing really well.

What China did is different than those two countries.

DrewFu

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Yeah I have a feeling a lot of people are going to have to do that with all the hoarding going around. Either risk it and eat out/order in, or eat whatever scraps you have left.
Thankfully at least with the pizza, I'm reheating them in the oven, so that should be fine.

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017

I thought it was said it would go into effect as soon as it was published in the BOE?

PoppaBK

Oct 27, 2017
I'm finding that I may have to start eating out more soon. With nonperishable and frozen food now almost impossible to find, I gotta keep the supply that I have.

Just think about your statement for a second. The supply chains are still completely open, this shortage is purely on the shelves and will even out pretty quickly. If not, how would you even be able to eat out, where would restaurants be getting ingredients?

Feb 1, 2018
I was trying to order groceries this morning and literally every store/app/platform is either on a multi-day backorder or just simply not taking orders at all. I don't even wanna know what it's like to physically go to one right now, probably worse than black friday.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just think about your statement for a second. The supply chains are still completely open, this shortage is purely on the shelves and will even out pretty quickly. If not, how would you even be able to eat out, where would restaurants be getting ingredients?
I mean supply chains are getting stretched and stressed right now. The spice is still flowing but if the current 7 turns up to a 10 it'll breakdown.

Culex

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
When this is all over, we need a worldwide summit to come together for aid. I know that seems like a pipe dream but it would at least make me feel like this planet has a chance.

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France

DrewFu

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Restaurant chains get their ingredients shipped to them directly from suppliers. It is unlikely they will run out of food like grocery stores are.

And if they do, that why I do things like freezing pizzas. I can get days of meals out of that.

Oct 27, 2017
Is getting food from a drive-thru a bad idea right now?
(I mean, it's never a good idea, just a convenient one, and I'm wondering how safe it is right now)

I did it today along with grocery shopping. Everyone working and serving is wearing gloves. People also have to work and eat so stores, pizza and fast-food places are open. Not nearly as many customers as usual for a Saturday lunchtime.

For the condiments, straw wrappers, and some containers, we wiped/sanitized both before and after opening, and right before eating. And again after shopping, and again after coming home.

PoppaBK

Oct 27, 2017
Restaurant chains get their food shipped to them directly from suppliers. It is unlikely they will run out of food like grocery stores are.

And if they do, that why I do things like freezing pizzas. I can get days of meals out of that.
Grocery stores have better stocked and more robust supply chains, they just have been hit hard in the last couple of days/week. Their stock levels will recover.

ReactionShot

Oct 25, 2017
WHO Situation Report (Issue 54, 10a March 14 CET)

Global:
142539 cases (+9769)
5393 deaths (+438)

China:
81021 cases (+18)
3194 deaths (+14)

Outside of China:
61518 cases (+9751)
2199 deaths (+424)
135 countries/regions (+13)

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hartford, CT

One of my coworkers is still in spain, not sure when she can come back to the US now? Either way she's gonna be quarantined when she gets back for two weeks.

DrewFu

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
One thing they are doing at my Walmart, that I hope all are doing, is at the self checkout, they disinfect the touch screen and scanner after each customer uses it.

DrewFu

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Grocery stores have better stocked and more robust supply chains, they just have been hit hard in the last couple of days/week. Their stock levels will recover.
Well of course the stores will recover eventually. The question is will it be before the virus outbreak is over.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
Is Japan really even doing anything that specific other than school shut downs? SK as well there isn't really a lock down, they are just testing really well.

What China did is different than those two countries.
Good question. One Business Insider graph gave me the impression japan doing better, but it might not be much better. Might just be less exponential thanks to preexistingly cleanliness practices and social non-contact norms.

China and South Korea definitely have under control.

Arynio

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Seems like there are big differences between % of people in critical cases in countries. Does this give more credence to the two strain theory?

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/italy/
9%

www.worldometers.info

Spain COVID - Coronavirus Statistics - Worldometer

Spain Coronavirus update with statistics and graphs: total and new cases, deaths per day, mortality and recovery rates, current active cases, recoveries, trends and timeline.
5%

www.worldometers.info

France COVID - Coronavirus Statistics - Worldometer

France Coronavirus update with statistics and graphs: total and new cases, deaths per day, mortality and recovery rates, current active cases, recoveries, trends and timeline.
4%

www.worldometers.info

United Kingdom COVID - Coronavirus Statistics - Worldometer

United Kingdom Coronavirus update with statistics and graphs: total and new cases, deaths per day, mortality and recovery rates, current active cases, recoveries, trends and timeline.
2%

www.worldometers.info

South Korea COVID - Coronavirus Statistics - Worldometer

South Korea Coronavirus update with statistics and graphs: total and new cases, deaths per day, mortality and recovery rates, current active cases, recoveries, trends and timeline.
1% (WHAT)

www.worldometers.info

Germany COVID - Coronavirus Statistics - Worldometer

Germany Coronavirus update with statistics and graphs: total and new cases, deaths per day, mortality and recovery rates, current active cases, recoveries, trends and timeline.
0%

www.worldometers.info

United States COVID - Coronavirus Statistics - Worldometer

United States Coronavirus update with statistics and graphs: total and new cases, deaths per day, mortality and recovery rates, current active cases, recoveries, trends and timeline.
0%

Hubei, Italy, Iran, France, Spain, Netherlands all seem to have lots more critical cases.

I don't think it's a data lagging issue as South Korea is pretty ahead of the time line.

If the mild strain is here in the US, speed running it is actually viable strategy for us. It'll be like a pseudo vaccine imo.

Too bad it seems like UK has the severe strain.

Disclaimer: I'm no doctor.

It depends entirely on the % of population that has been tested. Most mild cases aren't being tested right now. Madrid announced today that they won't test any more mild cases moving forward.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Well of course the stores will recover eventually. The question is will it be before the virus outbreak is over.

Yes they will. Grocery stores have massive supply chains and warehouses all over the country. We'd need a heavier lockdown in the US than what we're having now to even begin to worry about that.

Thatonedice1

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Working on that also.
I've been having a itchy throat for a bought 3 days now and today developed a slight cough. Kinda just assumed it was pollen because of where I live (GA, pollen will fuck you up) but a case was discovered like a hour away from where I live and I'm scared now.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
can Spain economy handle this, as it never really fully recovered from financial crash?
Probably all countries will have problem on economy side. Some will recover better, most will have some kind of recession. Since is just in the beginning is really hard to tell if we gonna have a global recession with increase in unemployment. Only time will tell and it will depends how well countries handle the situation.

It is better to have 1 or 2 bad trimesters than 2 years.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
We will be fucked just as the whole world is fucked economy wise. President already said in one of the first intervations (and just repeated in on the ask questions panel right now) they were going to give helps to the econmy wherever needed (and im sure those wil be bigger as time goes). Also in this times of need Europe is also going to need to help economy wise all the countries inside the union.
The thing is, this is the best solution, theres nothing more than can be done, and as soon we go into lockdown to control it, the sooner we can go to our normal lives so the impact is lessened the better.

Also what do you mean fully recovered? We recovered as much as other countries recovered in the world, anything else is an exageration by the media of other countries (uk and germany most probably). If you think it was not you should have come here to visit us before the covid, just so you could see with your own eyes how poor people were as a whole.
This was not Greece, i can assire you that

One of my coworkers is still in spain, not sure when she can come back to the US now? Either way she's gonna be quarantined when she gets back for two weeks.

He just talked about that. She will be able to return home.

Lonewolf

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
Managed to find one store with toilet paper today (because they're limiting it to 2 per customer). I live in a rural town of 3,500. Can't imagine what it's like in larger places.