• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
So I don't get it. Everyone is going to take two weeks to work from home/school from home in the US... and they just expect to go back to normal after that? Everything I've read stated that peak infections won't happen until late May at the earliest and this won't go away in the summer.

No one seems to be preparing in the US for the potential of months of "lockdown".

The next two weeks really is just to get testing in place, so that people who feel unwell can at least get tested. Then the next-phase stuff would kick in.

As it is, people went tornado in the groceries and will be throwing out food they won't be eating. Don't want to induce more panic than there is at this point.

My town's police stopped voluntary fingerprinting for things like weapon purchases, so they don't come into contact with people. Purchases would be put on hold. I guess this doesn't apply where that store is.

Mar 8, 2020
Washington State
Anyone else's thoughts on this oscillating?

I don't know what to think, honestly, I keep flipping from thinking I'm overreacting to literally boarding up our house for 3 weeks.

I'm with you. The wife is in panic mode but she gets like this about most things. I'm calmly reassuring her it's fine while looking in my back yard for looters. We have supplies, she works from home and my work is most likely going to have us work from home but still, I am in this sureal state of being where I feel life is OK and also ready to panic at the drop of a hat.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I don't get it. Everyone is going to take two weeks to work from home/school from home in the US... and they just expect to go back to normal after that? Everything I've read stated that peak infections won't happen until late May at the earliest and this won't go away in the summer.

No one seems to be preparing in the US for the potential of months of "lockdown".

I think what could happen is this ... this "shut down" goes on for 2-3 weeks, the goal is to flatten the curve of transmission more than anything.

After that, businesses will start to re-open and a new phase will begin where people test more often and the emphasis shifts to isolating people who are 70+ years old.

I don't think its feasible for countries to just shut down entirely for months on end. Entire businesses like restaurants will go out of business leaving millions unemployed.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just got a call from my buddy that a close friend of his was put on life support due to coronavirus, guy is in his 40s with underlying conditions.

Another friends cousin has fever and temp, hospital sent him home and told him to quarantine, unfortunately he lives at home with his diabetic father (he takes care of him), old man was probably exposed to this thing, not sure what will happen...

Shit is getting real.

I wish the best of luck to them, we're in this boat together.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
The company that both my wife & I work for in the UK is saying that we have to work from home starting next week.

Quite relieved that we can just bunker down a bit (we travel into the city but live in the countryside). The only issue is my daughter who is at Nursery. I am kind of just hoping they close so we can just properly isolate.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
France :

- Phase 3 of epidemic, we have to close schools, theaters, restaurants, cafes, all non essential stores, don't to go work if you can we will have a special system to get you paid
- Over 4500 cases, 300 ICU cases with half of those under 50 yo, 91 deaths so far

Also France :

- Open borders with Spain Germany and Italy
- Allowed hundreds to roam Paris in a manifestation
- Wants to keep public transports going
- Wants to hold the elections this week end

Yeah I can't see what's going to completely blow up in their face.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Where are they sourcing from? RKI and John Hopkins are really the only sources i would trust and neither has it at 4.5k.
interaktiv.morgenpost.de

Corona Zahlen: Karte für Deutschland + weltweit

So ist die Corona-Pandemie ausgelaufen: Fallzahlen für Deutschland, die Bundesländer und Kreise - sowie die Entwicklung in den Ländern weltweit im Zeitverlauf auf einer interaktiven Karte.

Beat me to it, thanks

Opposable

Oct 25, 2017
I really need to stay away from the news for a while. I'm in the UK and the media seem to be loving this so far. Constant articles and photos showing empty supermarket shelves and emotive language to aid the uncertainty and fear and how there is nothing left in shops. No wonder half the country is hoarding with some of the news stories I've read. I wouldn't be surprised if rioting happens eventually.

LFMartins86

Nov 7, 2017
Can you share where you saw this? Wouldn't surprise me in the least but haven't seen anything out there yet.
RTP Açores has a transcript of the letter.

I'm pretty sure they tried to close the airways yesterday but they were denied by the national government.
There was a press conference yesterday that was supposed to start at 14:30 but ended up only happening two hours later and without changing much.
The Portuguese prime minister has announced that he will speak about it with both the governments of Madeira and Azores on Monday.
Here in Azores, closing out the airways is pretty much what we have left to do.
Schools, museums, national reserves, libraries, clubs, bars, gyms, cinemas and the like are closed, all public events have been delayed, cruise passengers aren't allowed to step on land, passengers from outside the Azores are ordered to be in isolation for 14 days.
The regional government is trying it's all to keep us with out cases as an outbreak would be catastrophic.
The primary hospital for Covid-19 patients in the region can only handle about a dozen cases.

Grain Silo

Dec 15, 2017
My biggest worry for self-quarantine right now is food. We're planning on going to Wal-Mart tomorrow to stock up and I'm afraid that
A) There's someone infected in there
and
B) all of the shelves are going to be empty

Amazon is out of stock of most easy instant food that keeps for a while like noodles and aren't getting restocked for a week.

My job isn't one that can be worked from home. As soon as someone tests positive in my county I may just have to start taking vacation days then and there.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
9 new cases in British Columbia, Canada. The province is also stopping generalized testing, will only focus on serious/priority cases.

www.youtube.com

Coronavirus outbreak: B.C. health officials confirm nine new cases, majority at Vancouver care home

British Columbia health officials announced nine new cases of COVID-19 in the province on Saturday, including one presumptive case that they expect will be l...

228 cases total in Canada.

1 new case in Prince Edward Island, Canada as well. A women who traveled on a cruise.

Temperance

Oct 25, 2017
[NO 2FA]
Pro tip, if you have any Costco "Business Centers" just go there.

Most people don't know about them and they are open to the public (if you have any type of Costco membership).

Have everything you need, and actually more food stuff and cleaning supplies than a regular store.

Just no clothes or booze.
I've never seen that on google. The pink is glowing, think it's quite busy.
WIgYba1.png

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm with you. The wife is in panic mode but she gets like this about most things. I'm calmly reassuring her it's fine while looking in my back yard for looters. We have supplies, she works from home and my work is most likely going to have us work from home but still, I am in this sureal state of being where I feel life is OK and also ready to panic at the drop of a hat.

yup, so you know exactly where I'm at mentally. Looters. Right now people can look in my basement windows and see a bunch of my supplies (regular window, not glass block). I'm getting ready to black them out.

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Shortness of breath isn't a symptom right?

I feel this weird thrumming anxiety that's always there and my breath has felt short for a couple of days.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just got a call from my buddy that a close friend of his was put on life support due to coronavirus, guy is in his 40s with underlying conditions.

Another friends cousin has fever and temp, hospital sent him home and told him to quarantine, unfortunately he lives at home with his diabetic father (he takes care of him), old man was probably exposed to this thing, not sure what will happen...

Shit is getting real.

I'm thinking about this. That's a bed and ventilator that won't be freed up any time soon while more cases like this will stack up. It's terrifying.

Mar 8, 2020
Washington State
yup, so you know exactly where I'm at mentally. Looters. Right now people can look in my basement windows and see a bunch of my supplies (regular window, not glass block). I'm getting ready to black them out.
No reason not to be safe. I like to have some faith in humanity but I am also looking at pictures in this very thread of human beings buying up all the Clorox wipes to resell for $20 a bottle. Nothing irrational about protecting your family.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Macedonia is going in a lockdown.

There are not enough hospitals and beds to care for the sick since we're a rather poor and corrupted country.
All stores, venues, gatherings, events, and organisations are getting closed, except for the ones working in the food and medicine industries.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So... that paid sick leave bill in the US doesn't actually do anything for people in companies with more than 500 employees or less than 50?

onhold4u

Oct 29, 2017
Iowa
Shortness of breath isn't a symptom right?

I feel this weird thrumming anxiety that's always there and my breath has felt short for a couple of days.
I'm agreeing with the people who are saying it's probably your anxiety. Do you have a fever or a cough? The odds of you just having shortness of breath are probably slim.
I was in the same boat, got prescribed some new anxiety medication and haven't had the issue since.

nikkop

Mar 20, 2019
France :

- Phase 3 of epidemic, we have to close schools, theaters, restaurants, cafes, all non essential stores, don't to go work if you can we will have a special system to get you paid
- Over 4500 cases, 300 ICU cases with half of those under 50 yo, 91 deaths so far

Also France :

- Open borders with Spain Germany and Italy
- Allowed hundreds to roam Paris in a manifestation
- Wants to keep public transports going
- Wants to hold the elections this week end

Yeah I can't see what's going to completely blow up in their face.

Manifestation was not authorized but "gilets jaunes" do not give a shit about what is authorized or not.

On the other points, you are not wrong unfortunately ...

ultramooz

Oct 27, 2017
Paris, France
Yeah, as dumb as it is.
They probably were too scared to get the "HO YOU'RE HIJACKING DEMOCRACY" from opposition (which I'm sure they would have pulled)
Honestly I'm not sure I'm going to vote...
The double news of everything shutting down + elections are still happening was weird.
The rate of abstention will be incredible and that's often how the far right gets elected... depends if the fascists are too scared or will be mobilized.

Don't know what to do either, honestly - my boyfriend won't go vote (he's got asthma and is considered at risk) but I'm not sure.

RolandGunner

Oct 30, 2017

School's aren't ready to go 100% online and shutting down for months without any classes would be a huge shift. These two weeks give them time to come up with some kind of long-term plan.

Tmespe

Oct 27, 2017
The number in France is vastly underestimated. The numbers for Paris are ridiculous, no way in hell it's only 126 cases. There are rumors they're not testing anyone here.

I had to go out last night here in Paris to pick up my wife, and bars and restaurants were packed with nobody giving a shit. Both me and my wife's workplaces don't have any plans in place, and won't allow remote working even though we both work on a computer all day. I'm seriously considering quitting over this.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The number in France is vastly underestimated. The numbers for Paris are ridiculous, no way in hell it's only 126 cases. There are rumors they're not testing anyone here.

I had to go out last night here in Paris to pick up my wife, and bars and restaurants were packed with nobody giving a shit. Both me and my wife's workplaces don't have any plans in place, and won't allow remote working even though we both work on a computer all day. I'm seriously considering quitting over this.

Is smoking prevalent among men in France?

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm agreeing with the people who are saying it's probably your anxiety. Do you have a fever or a cough? The odds of you just having shortness of breath are probably slim.
I was in the same boat, got prescribed some new anxiety medication and haven't had the issue since.
No fever, no cough, no body pain

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Man, Spanish President should have had a conference explaining the State of Alarm like, 7 hours ago, and he still haven't appeared.

Retsudo

Oct 28, 2017
RTP Açores has a transcript of the letter.

I'm pretty sure they tried to close the airways yesterday but they were denied by the national government.
There was a press conference yesterday that was supposed to start at 14:30 but ended up only happening two hours later and without changing much.
The Portuguese prime minister has announced that he will speak about it with both the governments of Madeira and Azores on Monday.
Here in Azores, closing out the airways is pretty much what we have left to do.
Schools, museums, national reserves, libraries, clubs, bars, gyms, cinemas and the like are closed, all public events have been delayed, cruise passengers aren't allowed to step on land, passengers from outside the Azores are ordered to be in isolation for 14 days.
The regional government is trying it's all to keep us with out cases as an outbreak would be catastrophic.
The primary hospital for Covid-19 patients in the region can only handle about a dozen cases.

Thanks for that. Gonna give a read now. Boa sorte e que corra tudo bem!

Naru

May 11, 2019
I vote by mail now for around 4 years. Isn't that a thing in France? It's so easy normally.

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
Man, Spanish President should have had a conference explaining the State of Alarm like, 7 hours ago, and he still haven't appeared.
He was scheduled for 20:00, then for 20:30, and now we're waiting. Apparently there was a big clash between PSOE and Podemos regarding the economic plans.