• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
Andy Slavitt, who headed CMS under Obama is a good follow, he's been providing daily updates and is apparently consulting Federal, State and Local governments on the virus response. His successor of course is Seema Verma, the lady with the jewelry she wanted reimbursed that was worth $42k.

The white house is finally getting in order according to him.

Johnny956

Oct 25, 2017
Andy Slavitt, who headed CMS under Obama is a good follow, he's been providing daily updates and is apparently consulting Federal, State and Local governments on the virus response. His successor of course is Seema Verma, the lady with the jewelry she wanted reimbursed that was worth $42k.

The white house is finally getting in order according to him.

Yea sounds like what NPR was reporting. More worried about the election then actually doing their job

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Politicians here in Germany claim there are "no shortages", yet some supermarkets are rolling out policies that restrict people to 2 cans and 2 packs of convenience food per household. They say that people should go shopping several times a week, not just once. Sounds like a great idea when there is a deadly virus spreading. Dumb fuckers.
Well... there are no shortages tho. It's much better to go shopping twice or three times a week and buy what you need instead of hoarding stuff.
Markets roll out those restrictions to stop hoarders because those people are causing larger problems for everybody.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Jesus, this travel ban ambiguity is so stressful. I'm supposed to take my mom to SFO for a flight to Norway tomorrow.

Woffls

Nov 25, 2017
London
They seem to be relying on people choosing to self isolate if they have symptoms, rather than the government making people change behaviour.
I agree that's a huge misstep and the government should be imposing restrictions and making guidelines more explicit regarding things like events, public transport and home working. However, I'm still not convinced that there is a government strategy to infect 60% of the population early on in order to perpetuate immunity.

alex.magnus

Oct 28, 2017
my region in Italy is now in complete lockdown:
no one can leave or get into the island without the approval of the region.
every flight has been cancelled but one for rome.
and for reference we are roughly 400 KM (260 Miles) from the mainland

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Travel bans this far in are low reward and lead to complacency. Italy were one of the first to ban China and Iran before anything had kicked off in the country.

yeah, if you get them in place early you buy a few weeks, total lock-down gets you a few months, well that's what i have read over the last few weeks.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
They really trotted out this man out here to tell the media to stop criticizing the administration.

Oni_J

Oct 28, 2017
Why does Italy have a higher death rate relative to other countries?

No solid proof about this but it's been largely speculated at home, both on publications and some TV.

1. Pretty much older demography
2. Substantial abuse of antibiotics (it's insane how GPs prescribe strong stuff freely)
3. Multiple causes plus C-19 is considered registered as death by C-19, while other countries don't as "they would've died easily anyway" which is a fucked up reason, but to be fair, I wouldn't expect any less from governments out there.
3(plus). Iran is definitely lying about theirs if they're digging all of those graves as seen via satellites.

With amount of obesity and respiratory issues people have clearly in UK, italy numbers will be a joke in a matter of weeks.
I think even how widespread flat sharing is will have a huge impact there.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Chile is at 61 cases. Yesterday 43, two days ago 33. Government still hasn't taken enough measures, Airport checks are minimal and it's open to receive people from anywhere in the world. Classes and work continue like normal, test is not free, etc. A lot of people are afraid that they are using it with political intentions, since on April 26th we have a Plebiscite to change the constitution (which they don't want)

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
Man, Pence looks awful.

Dear God if one of them is infected, the entire White House and all those senior leaders are at risk or infected. You wanna see stock market crash, if Trump or Pence announce it, the market is gonna crater.

Honestly I hope they are simply lying about not testing them, if they actually need to be hospitalized we are really screwed.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
+1800 infected in Lombardia alone, fucking hell. Still waiting for the actual national count.
I'll be careful n how I represent this: the NYT story on Monday with the King County (Seattle) doctor who was pointing out the issues with the federal testing bottleneck- she's a personal friend of ours and doesn't give a shit about politics - she has told us in plain language and in that story that your 1800 number (now updated to ~4000) is actually "we only have enough test kits and bandwidth to identify 1800 infected people out of a vastly larger number who are untested or asymptomatic" and that's Italy - the US version of that problem is likely way worse.

dean_rcg

Oct 27, 2017
I know there's a lot of skepticism with China's numbers, but with Apple re-opening stores and in general stories like that, it seems like they really may have managed to get it under control.

Unfortunately there's no way the average Brit would put up with their approach and there's no politician would dare suggest it so we'll be stuck with it for a lot longer

CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018
The amount of people I've seen spreading the "Drink plenty of water, it flushes the virus into your stomach and the stomach acid kills it" advice on social media is staggering.

cyport

Nov 8, 2017
I have an option to go to the US on Monday from the UK. I'm a UK citizen. I would be staying with my partner in DC. The alternative is here in London with a flatmate who doesn't really look after himself but I would be having a strong word with him (when he gets back from Portugal on Monday which he decided to go for a mini-break with friends on Thursday).
I'd be away from family and the NHS but I just don't have confidence in either of our governments and healthcare. I would be with my partner though as it may be a few months without seeing him if I don't go. Hard to decide.

Rubmifer

Oct 28, 2017
Belgian restaurants and bars are closed now for 3 weeks, so lot of people are crossing the border in Holland to go and eat and drink at restaurants and bars. Fucking idiots.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jesus, this travel ban ambiguity is so stressful. I'm supposed to take my mom to SFO for a flight to Norway tomorrow.

If she doesn't need to be in Norway and is ok with staying there, I would recommended to cancel the trip.

My parents are stuck now because of travel bans and the alternative flight prices are going through the roof.