• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 31104

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
www.theguardian.com

US extends travel ban to UK and Ireland – as it happened

Ivanka Trump working from home as a precaution; US House passes virus aid package; China records 11 new cases; WHO says Europe is at centre of pandemic
Hi, it's Aaron Walawalkar here taking over the coronavirus live blog in London. I'll be bringing you all the latest updates on the coronavirus outbreak, as Reuters reports that US travel restrictions on Britain are Ireland are likely to come into effect on Monday night.

If you spot anything I miss, do drop me a message on Twitter @aaronwala. Due to the enormous interest in coronavirus, I won't be able to respond to everything, but I will do my best to take a look. Thanks in advance!

It was on the Reuters wire.

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018

That's a much better solution, but trying to show that to those who empty TP on supermarkets could be next to impossible. I really am amazed at the TP craze though. It's every-fucking-where around the world.

Also, this is wild. The trend stands with every country that has at least 100 cases reported. They're mostly riding the same exponential curve:

0IqE3d3.png

Last edited:

Woffls

Nov 25, 2017
London
President Trump literally just suggested it would be a good idea if SOCIETY perhaps considered stopping handshakes forever.
Shaking hands is superficial anyway. If everyone in the world stopped shaking hands, there would probably be a net benefit due to not spreading germs, even in normal contexts. It is tightly woven into professional and social interactions, so of course it sounds ridiculous, but what would we lose?

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017
Politicians here in Germany claim there are "no shortages", yet some supermarkets are rolling out policies that restrict people to 2 cans and 2 packs of convenience food per household. They say that people should go shopping several times a week, not just once. Sounds like a great idea when there is a deadly virus spreading. Smh.

Last edited:

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
That's a much better solution, but trying to show that to those who empty TP on supermarkets could be next to impossible. I really am amazed at the TP craze though. It's every-fucking-where around the world.

Also, this is wild. The trend stands with every country that has at least 100 cases reportes. They're mostly riding the same exponential curve:

0IqE3d3.png

Why does Italy have a higher death rate relative to other countries?

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
People are reselling their tickets on Twitter for Vive Latino (a music festival we have here in Mexico City) at very low prices. Still, this shouldn't be happening. Our authorities should be cancelling the event and refunding every ticket to give a sense of peace. Some people spent a lot of money and don't want to waste it. I think those are the ones who will be attending regardless. Also, a lot of bands and singers have already cancelled their presentations.
I was at the Lucha Libre last night at Mexico City arena. Was impressed to see them temperature testing and handing out liberal amounts of hand sanitiser.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Shaking hands is superficial anyway. If everyone in the world stopped shaking hands, there would probably be a net benefit due to not spreading germs, even in normal contexts. It is tightly woven into professional and social interactions, so of course it sounds ridiculous, but what would we lose?

Not a whole lot compared to the benefit.

"No touching in the workplace - period" should also probably be a thing anyway.

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
Politicians here in Germany claim there are "no shortages", yet some supermarkets are rolling out policies that restrict people to 2 cans and 2 packs of convenience food per household. They say that people should go shopping several times a week, not just once. Sounds like a great idea when there is a deadly virus spreading. Dumb fuckers.

That's dumb but they need to stop people from being fucking idiots and hording things, so limits on certain items makes sense.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Looks like Germany crossed 4K cases. At least the death numbers are still low. Wonder if they'll lockdown borders soon.

Oct 28, 2017
I have a dumb question. Based off of the evidence so far, do we believe that this will die off in the summer? Or even to extend past April? Loaded question I know but I'm wondering.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Why does Italy have a higher death rate relative to other countries?
Partly because they have the second oldest demographics in the world, and the CV is most dangerous for people 70+ and pre-existing conditions. If they haven't tested enough people, the CFR may appear high because they'll have tracked every person who died, but not every person who had/has it.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington

We should bow to each other. it's formal and no touching required. And honestly it seems to be more respectful to each other than a handshake.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
www.nytimes.com

He Has 17,700 Bottles of Hand Sanitizer and Nowhere to Sell Them (Published 2020)

Amazon cracked down on coronavirus price gouging. Now, while the rest of the world searches, some sellers are holding stockpiles of sanitizer and masks.

Can someone explain to me why the fuck does the NYT is writing human interest stories about the the struggle of profiteering assholes who are literally getting people killed so they can make some quick money?
Seriously, what the fuck is wrong them?

To him, "it was crazy money." To many others, it was profiteering from a pandemic.
Who can tell who is right? who are we to judge? there are many arguments on all sides.

Mr. Colvin does not believe he was price gouging. While he charged $20 on Amazon for two bottles of Purell that retail for $1 each, he said people forget hat his price includes his labor, Amazon's fees and about $10 in shipping. (Alcohol-based sanitizer is pricey to ship because officials consider it a hazardous material.)
No seriously, why the fuck do you do this shit?

WS8I0Wq.png

ewww this poor guy just trying to take care of his family, he's a veteran too.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France

I like to shake hands. I like friendly kisses.
I don't want to lose it. I don't want to live in a bubble in fear of germs on other people.
I mean, I sort of do now cause I don't want to spread this shit, but when it's over, I'll shake hands anew.

Ryu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Politicians here in Germany claim there are "no shortages", yet some supermarkets are rolling out policies that restrict people to 2 cans and 2 packs of convenience food per household. They say that people should go shopping several times a week, not just once. Sounds like a great idea when there is a deadly virus spreading. Dumb fuckers.

Tbh the reselling is really bad. I wouldn't put a restriction too low, but at least so low that reselling doesn't make sense. With the sheer amount of people buying, you also don't remember faces necessarily. Some people drive from store to store to buy everything they can. Shit is crazy.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Interesting that they put out a statement at 11pm last night saying Trump wasn't going to be tested.... and he was tested last night.

Woffls

Nov 25, 2017
London
I like to shake hands. I like friendly kisses.
I don't want to lose it. I don't want to live in a bubble in fear of germs on other people.
I mean, I sort of do now cause I don't want to spread this shit, but when it's over, I'll shake hands anew.
Oh I agree that it would be a ridiculous infraction on social liberties, but from a purely rational perspective it is probably unnecessary. Although now I think of it that's actually one way of building immunity from less deadly germs but I imagine those will get around regardless.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
That's dumb but they need to stop people from being fucking idiots and hording things, so limits on certain items makes sense.
Yup. also "no shortages" does not mean "this store in particular will never be out of stock, ever, even if people hoard like idiots". It means they can restock if they're out.

Personally - in Hamburg, Germany - I've seen completely empty stores (regarding TP, fresh fruit, pasta & soaps) as much as I've seen perfectly fine stacked ones, so far I didn't run into any problems getting what I actually need. Yes, even TP. The only thing that's consistently gone from this reality is desinfectant lol.

Broken Hope

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"We think this virus is likely to be one that comes year on year, becomes like a seasonal virus," he told Sky News.

"Communities will become immune to it and that's going to be an important part of controlling this longer term.

"About 60% is the sort of figure you need to get herd immunity."

I may not have parsed his words as intended but it appears as if he is conceding that this is more of an inevitability than a strategy, with regards to developing herd immunity?

From Reuters, Vallance is also saying the following, which seems to contradict the plan being to get people infected as a strategy to develop immunity in the short-term:
I don't understand not having any real restrictions and letting the virus run rampant delays the peak.

Mega1X

The Fallen
Jun 4, 2018
If your school uses GSuite for Education, Google just opened up premium Google Meet for free for the next few months. It can host up to 250 participants.

Our district has webex accounts for all staff. But since most schools are GSuite most teachers and students would be more comfortable with Google Meet. Good thing they opened up premium with everything going on.

Our school also invested in Go Guardian for content filtering and classroom management. Go Guardian tracks student web activity and flags admin in case of serious issues. Teachers can watch student screens, push content and lock devices all in real time. However this only works with chromebooks.

Other helpful apps for distance learning:
EdPuzzle for instructional video distribution
Google Classroom - assignment distribution and communication
SeaSaw - assignment distribution and portfolios

Thanks, I was planning on pushing Google Classroom for the teachers, since it will do most of what they need.

Hrothgar

Nov 6, 2017

There are no shortages, but for as long as we haven't invented teleportation, things don't get restocked instantly

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He was shaking hands at yesterday's press briefing.
He was responding to a question about that exact thing. I thought for sure he'd say "I'm preternaturally immune to disease and my yooge bearclaw/human catcher's mitt hands kill the disease on contact and secrete a cure"

Extra Note: Dr. Deborah Birx is the most coherent diplomatic helpful voice in this entire fiasco- and the only person who understood what was actually happening. There's been more bipartisanship in the last three minutes than the preceding three years. In Birx and Mnuchin's case - unambiguous abd unasterisked. Mnuchin will probably be corrected on his Pelosi "outburst " just now.