• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
This is pretty much how it begins:

ETCYbstWsAAqGpq

😬 stay safe!

Where are you finding these graphs? I want to see one for Canada/BC and see if we are still "flattening the curve" today...

HipsterMorty

alt account
Banned
Jan 25, 2020
Correct me if I'm wrong but the toliet paper shortage should level out eventually, right? The people who have already stocked up 120 rolls don't need anymore, so eventually there will be enough for everyone.
Yes demand is going to taper off drastically now that a bunch of people have a years supply. I suspect TP stock will be fine in a week or two.

MarioW

PikPok
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
New Zealand
There's no way he hasn't already been tested.

This is just them lying 'cus being tested would make him seem weak or some macho bullshit.

Unsurprising when choosing between a) admitting being tested and "looking weak", and b) claiming not being tested and "looking selfish and inconsiderate" that he would opt for the latter.

He seems to have been exposed from multiple angles, with even Ivanka being knowingly exposed but choosing not to self isolate after a single day. It will be interesting to watch his health over the next few weeks, and whether we start to see the onset of a cough (or an absence of speaking to publicly completely).

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
So what's the infection and fatality rate amongst kids? As a parent I worry most about my daughter. She is only 4. Don't know what Id do without her :(
Mortality rate is essentially zero in children under ten. They can catch it and spread it, but it barely affects them. You should be much more concerned about her getting it and then passing it on to a grandparent.

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018
😬 stay safe!

Where are you finding these graphs? I want to see one for Canada/BC and see if we are still "flattening the curve" today...

Thanks! Will do. It's getting ridiculous with the lack of action by our government, but some schools and institutions have been taking independent measures to isolate their communities. Those graphs are just starting to show up on Twitter. That's the first one I've seen locally.

As for Canada's numbers, I imagine there has to be a graph detailing their growth but I haven't come across any (yet).

Stuggernaut

Oct 28, 2017
Seattle, WA, USA
Went to store earlier just to get a few items, not really planning to buy much. I just wanted some rice and pasta for some soups my wife and I are making this weekend.

Nope.

No rice, in 3 stores. Pasta was only gluten free and whole grain left. In the 3rd store we managed to find some Uncle Bens rice, so it'll do.

Other things I noticed that were pretty much wiped out...

Most white breads and hamburger/hot dog buns, frozen pizzas, soups (especially Top-Ramen type), toilet paper, wipes, paper towels, lettuce, carrots, some other mixed veggies. Steaks, hamburger (Plenty of ground turkey though!), pre-made burgers or meatballs, chicken tenders, bacon, most cheddar cheeses.

It was honestly crazy...

We decided to buy a lot more than we planned to just for the sake that stockpiles were so low. We stuck to non-perishables but was still surreal to see 3 stores so wiped out in a small town like mine (45 minutes outside of Seattle) that has no cases of the virus yet.

chaostrophy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How the hell is...Tucker Carlson of all the idiots on the planet actually talking responsibily, bigging up south Korea and calling out out government for lack of testing with out blaming Democrats.

Dude keeps talking about how the US is under reporting and telling people it's not a hoax.

I'm eating dinner at my parents right now and it's blowing my mind.

The virus is a threat to his base- rich old white people.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I think Asian nations were better prepared for this kinda of outbreak.

In Italy SARS was something very abstract, not the same in Asia.

Yes we learnt a lot from SARS. The hospitals in Asia set up protocols that were made because of SARS. One big thing that we learnt from SARS is how to minimise transmissions at the hospitals.

One reason why Singapore has 0 deaths is that all COVID19 patients are hospitalised. We don't send a single infected person back home before they are fully cured and free of the virus. So I'm surprised to see how in some countries, patients are just sent home to rest and self Isolate. I understand that most countries don't have enough beds or rooms but it is a problem we face as well, during regular none Covid19 periods.

The "call a hotline/clinic before seeing a doc" is also surprising to see because over here in Singapore we encourage the sick the go to clinics first to get seen by doctors. The doctors will then determine if you are a potential case and call an ambulance immediately if you are. It helps also that anyone who has flu symptoms pay only USD7 (USD3.5) for consultation and medical fees during this period, at some 500 clinics or so, private or otherwise.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks! Will do. It's getting ridiculous with the lack of action by our government, but some schools and institutions have been taking independent measures to isolate their communities. Those graphs are just starting to show up on Twitter. That's the first one I've seen locally.

As for Canada's numbers, I imagine there has to be a graph detailing their growth but I haven't come across any (yet).

Hopefully you guys will start shutting some things down ahead of a blowout! We all need to be ahead of it and not just reactive.

Ah. Okay. Maybe I should hunt some out... I'd like to see.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
One reason why Singapore has 0 deaths is that all COVID19 patients are hospitalised. We don't send a single infected person back home before they are fully cured and free of the virus. So I'm surprised to see how in some countries, patients are just sent home to rest and self Isolate. I understand that most countries don't have enough beds or rooms but it is a problem we face as well, during regular none Covid19 periods.
It could help, but Canada has had pretty much everyone self isolate at home and we've had only one death, in a nursing home.

Maybe early detection is what's most important, finding it before it can become deadly.

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
My wife, who is a special ed teacher told me that unfortunately many special ed kids will probably die from this because many of them have very weak immune systems.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
If this is only going to peak thanks to herd immunity, how long will it take for things to be safe again for at-risk people? How long until things can become normal again?

Like, it can't be less than 3 months, can it?

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
It could help, but Canada has had pretty much everyone self isolate at home and we've had only one death, in a nursing home.

Maybe early detection is what's most important, finding it before it can become deadly.

That's encouraging to hear.
I think one reason that we do it here is because the government doesn't trust the infected to not go roam around. It's easier to keep them in the hospital than to spend more resources making sure the quarantine are not out and about.

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
I went to my local uppity retired educated while people grocery store today, assuming they'd be sold out of less stuff. I was mostly right! But even then, out of TP and certain other items. Low stock on stuff like sodas, cereals, pasta... Brand-name stuff at least. All the checkouts were open, multiple people deep on a weekday afternoon. There's never more than 1-2 people under any circumstances. Was quite surprised. Upper Midwest US, just a handful of cases within an hour drive. People in my city are generally extremely calm and extremely sane.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
It's still so weird because the most healthy will be ok but those who have weak immune systems are those with the biggest targets and some people are still just continuing things.

My college jumped to online after extending its break meanwhile my former High and Junior High aren't closed and I'm like, "What?"

We contained SARS-H1N1 but I'm still perplexed how this got this fucking bad. We will get better from this and we will continue on after this calms down but holy shit, I'm still amazed how fucked things got to the point where we can't get toilet paper, wipes & meat.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
We contained SARS-H1N1 but I'm still perplexed how this got this fucking bad. We will get better from this and we will continue on after this calms down but holy shit, I'm still amazed how fucked things got to the point where we can't get toilet paper, wipes & meat.
We didn't really contain H1N1

aeroslash

Feb 7, 2018
Yes we learnt a lot from SARS. The hospitals in Asia set up protocols that were made because of SARS. One big thing that we learnt from SARS is how to minimise transmissions at the hospitals.

The "call a hotline/clinic before seeing a doc" is also surprising to see because over here in Singapore we encourage the sick the go to clinics first to get seen by doctors. The doctors will then determine if you are a potential case and call an ambulance immediately if you are. It helps also that anyone who has flu symptoms pay only USD7 (USD3.5) for consultation and medical fees during this period, at some 500 clinics or so, private or otherwise.

Well..as you say, we don't have enough hospital beds, so all the confinement is to make sure that the people who really needs it can be helped.

And going to see a doctor first thing makes no sense to me. What happens if you are infected? You just spread the virus on your way. Having a hotline, confine yourself and have some tests done at your houseis the safest way to go imo.

Anyway, where i'm from things are being done quite poorly. We will surpass Italy in a few days. I'm a pilot by the way, and we still fly to many destinations within Europe, which makes no sense to me. I know the impact this will have on the economy is going to be catastrophic, but everyone should be locked.

SSF1991

Jun 19, 2018
My wife, who is a special ed teacher told me that unfortunately many special ed kids will probably die from this because many of them have very weak immune systems.

those who have weak immune systems are those with the biggest targets and some people are still just continuing things.

I have a weak immune system....ugh. I really need to stay away from this virus.

Fortunately, that won't be hard. I guess being an introvert and not sociallizing much IRL will be a blessing for me here. And since I don't socialize much IRL, that also means that I don't go out much unless it's absolutely necessary. And, since I'm mentally disabled, I've been working at home for years. And, coincidentally, I got hand sanitizer and some toilet paper a month or two ago, so I'm not really low on that. I'd just need groceries (and get the new Animal Crossing game I pre-ordered from Best Buy next week so I have something to do) and I think I can just hunker down until the pandemic is over.

Still, not fun to be vulnerable to this shit.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
A cancer survivor friend of mine spent ten weeks fighting off H1N1. She's like 35. If I could pray I'd pray she doesn't get this.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
I just looked up Guatemala and they have 1 case from a citizen who returned from a flight out of italy. (Not sure if this is the latest) and others from the flight not confirmed but in isolation to be safe. I'm hoping they can contain anything coming their way. I have lots of family there.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
If this is only going to peak thanks to herd immunity, how long will it take for things to be safe again for at-risk people? How long until things can become normal again?

I'm at risk and I'm counting on at least three months in my house. In fact I think that is optimistic.

I was in a zoom conference with some friends I normally hang out with every week and they asked me how long I would have to isolate. I honestly didn't know what to say. It could be a long, long time.

dryz

Oct 30, 2017
Just woke up to find out the Czech government closed all pubs, restaurants and other non-essential shops completely overnight.

I read that for countries like UK the peak is 10-14 weeks away. One Czech epidemiologists said that it should get better in August. Not exactly optimistic.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
And now I'm seeing the Bill Gates Predicted This 4 Years Ago video and the conspiracy theories and I'm like I should sleep now.