• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Linkage76

Oct 27, 2017
I work for a Gene Therapy startup in the Bay Area. My line of work doesn't allow for us to work from home :/. Times like these is where is wish I didn't study molecular biology.

northnorth

Dec 4, 2017
How the hell is...Tucker Carlson of all the idiots on the planet actually talking responsibily, bigging up south Korea and calling out out government for lack of testing with out blaming Democrats.

Dude keeps talking about how the US is under reporting and telling people it's not a hoax.

I'm eating dinner at my parents right now and it's blowing my mind.

ive seen a few episodes lately (at my Moms haha) and you're right like he's spot on some nights. And I'm a hard left democrat. He was just nailing points I could agree with. But yesterday, 3/12. Jesus Christ. The whole last 30 minutes was about how it's all China's fault and they sent it here and China doesn't get a pass. Just some Straight bullshit. I was like Mom, I know it's your house, but we've got to change this.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I seriously dont understand the run on TP and bottle water. This virus doesnt give you the runs and why would there not be running water?!?

I went into a Walmart to get some vitamins and EVERYONE had water in their cart.....

cant lie, I got excited because they were stocking Lysol cleaner with bleach and I grabbed a couple bottles and rubbing alcohol as well 😬
Well for water, a lot of people don't like tap at all and are weary of it.

I think the TP situation was a bandwagon thing. People saw it start in AU. Then people just panicked it dominod.

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So, guys, it seems the hot climate theory won't stand. We were just lagging behind. Mexico is starting to notice an increase in numbers already. We're at 26 confirmed cases now (up from 12 yesterday).

Flu was always something present even in the equators, the idea is that will lower the spread, not to be a deus ex cure that will fix it.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I spent most of the day today setting up VPN's on personal laptops and home computers lol. Didn't even get done what I needed to get done.

Yep.....exactly the same - also to set up loaner laptops for those who only use desktops at the office.

The only thing we were told in regards to our own department and this situation is to test out VPN on our own computers before this upcoming Sunday lol.

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My parents are in their 70's and they were telling me that they have never seen anything like this in their entire lives.

Starting Monday, several people at my work will be working from home but not me since I work in IT.

My wife and I were talking about this. The amount of times we have been told "nothing like this has ever happened." is off the chart as a millennial.

I just want a normal life. But I expect to retire and aliens arrive at this point.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Correct me if I'm wrong but the toliet paper shortage should level out eventually, right? The people who have already stocked up 120 rolls don't need anymore, so eventually there will be enough for everyone.

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just took a look at Singapore and it's like, wow. Zero deaths. How the hell...

But yeah South Korea worked some miracle to have that many cases and that death rate.

I think Asian nations were better prepared for this kinda of outbreak.

In Italy SARS was something very abstract, not the same in Asia.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Two more Brazilian delegates test positive, including one who sat with Trump
Two more members of a Brazilian delegation that traveled to the US, including one man who attended a dinner with President Donald Trump, have tested positive for the coronavirus.

The first is Nestor Forster, Brazil's Chargé d'Affaires in Washington. The Brazilian Embassy in Washington announced on Twitter that Forster had tested positive. He will now be self-quarantined for two weeks.
He was seated at the same table as Trump last Saturday during the dinner at Mar-a-Lago, a source familiar with the incident told CNN.

The second is Brazilian Sen. Nelsinho Trad. Trad announced on Twitter late Friday that he tested positive.
amp.cnn.com

March 14 coronavirus news

The novel coronavirus has infected more than 136,000 people globally and killed more than 5,000.

-Stranger-

Banned
Jan 1, 2018
Morgue in Iran

twitter.com

محمد مجيد الأحوازي on Twitter

“أحد الكوادر الطبية يوثق وفاة عشرات المصابين بفيروس كورونا بمدينة قم فقط، ويقول الوفيات كثر ولا يوجد مكان للجنائز من المصابين بكورونا .. بينما الحكومة الإيرانية تتستر على حجم الكارثة وتقول لا يوجد شي يدعو للقلق.! https://t.co/X7K8YrAt2X”

JaseMath

Oct 27, 2017
Denver, CO
Had a closed-door meeting at the office today—we begin working from home Monday "for the foreseeable future—weeks, maybe months."

Then spent some time conversing over the possibility that some of us may not return at all...and we weren't talking about layoffs. There are several 55+ men and women in our office.

Maybe the most surreal of my life. I'm 38.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Because of reality now being the way it is Trump will have a live broadcast and have a coughing fit in the middle of it

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I stopped in at the mall. Protip: Bath and Body Works has A LOT of liquid/foam soap that smells nice and scented. It's... more pricey, but they are there. I did the 6 for $26 deal. Looked like other people were doing the same. They used to have a ton of travel-sized hand san but of course all gone now. Lots of teens/college kids hanging out at the mall. Prob bored with so much being cancelled (k-12 schools not shut down in my area, only colleges). Barely anyone else in the mall though. I kept my distance from the group of teens hanging out.

Then stopped at my discount grocery store. 1 week ago it still was full of tp and soaps. Today? All shopping carts used, vegetables were almost all gone. Pastas almost gone, can goods ravaged. Wow. One of my cards got flagged and declined. I've had a chipmunk-like mentality of grabbing a few things at a time and taking it home to store, then go back out when I forgot some stuff. I think I'm gone now. Fresh foods, canned foods, more frozen foods now, tons of stuff with vitamins to fight off anything else I might catch (had a minor cold a week ago).

This would be a good time to get stuff you are running out of. And if you do need soap and have a fancy scenty store nearby, try and hit them up.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
In case ya'll don't know, places like Staples and Office Depot sell toilet paper and sanitizers.

I also realized today that this virus is probably here to stay. A vaccine will probably come along and help combat it like the typical flu, but I can't imagine this thing fully going away. Life will have to push on as sad as that sounds.

chubigans

Vertigo Gaming Inc.
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Had a closed-door meeting at the office today—we begin working from home Monday "for the foreseeable future—weeks, maybe months."

Then spent some time conversing over the possibility that some of us may not return at all...and we weren't talking about layoffs. There are several 55+ men and women in our office.

What field do you work in? That is crazy!

BanGy

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand just set up new travel guidelines. Everyone coming into New Zealand except those from the pacific after tomorrow must self isolate for 14 days. 😷

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018

My goodness... :(

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
My sister was in Florida for spring break. Her college extended the break and has moved classes to online. We texted and I told her that she shouldn't go to our parents' house for at least a week after she gets back. She agreed so she's heading back to her apartment at college. My mom didn't like the idea at first and she thought it would probably be fine if she went home right away, but after reminding her that she and dad are old and have had major surgeries in the last 5 years, she relented and agreed.

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So...my school just ruled that since there were no cases in our area and the CDC is saying that short-term closings wouldn't help, we would stay open. Is this right?

Probably not. You want to act proactively. People aren't being tested so infections are vastly under reported. I'm in eastern Washington where *somehow* zero cases have yet to be reported, but we're shutting down everything just like the rest of the state. Schools, churches, libraries. It's ghost town time.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Well hopefully with declaring a National Emergency that action will swift to take care of the virus in the US.
Just read this piece and sorry if it has been posted before but I think it deserves a good read for a scenario if the government doesn't act quickly enough:
Worst-case coronavirus models show massive US toll
At least three different models built by epidemiology experts suggest that millions of Americans will contract the coronavirus, even in optimistic projections, based on what they know of its spread in China and the United States so far.

One model from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) suggested that between 160 million and 210 million Americans could contract the disease over as long as a year. Based on mortality data and current hospital capacity, the number of deaths under the CDC's scenarios ranged from 200,000 to as many as 1.7 million.

It found as many as 21 million people might need hospitalization, a daunting figure in a nation with just about 925,000 hospital beds.

The CDC's model was described to The Hill by an expert who watched the presentation. The New York Times first reported its existence.

Danielsan

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
I was supposed to travel to Japan yesterday, but we cancelled last minute on Thursday. I'm now extremely glad that i'm not travelling because I now have a mean cold. It's probably normal flu, but I'll be staying inside regardless.

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My wife is a Nurse Anesthetist and it feels like we're sitting on a time bomb before she's at work 24/7. Just hoping some of our measures don't overwhelm our system, but know it probably will.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
Working from home til April 1st at the earliest. Sadly there's a lot of positions at my company where it's not possible to work from home, no plan yet for them.

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018
This is pretty much how it begins:

ETCYbstWsAAqGpq

Oct 25, 2017
Italy and Spain seem to be getting hit hard, whereas most of Asia past China doesn't seem to be that impacted by death count.

Wonder if the warmer weather in Vietnam, Phillipines, Thailand, India really hurts transmission of the disease, because those four countries have a massive population, larger than all of Europe obviously, and there must have been considerable travel by some citizens back and forth to China due to business at the very least, and yet they don't even have like a combined 50+ deaths between them.

Japan relative to their population size and large elderly populace doesn't seem to have many deaths from this either.

I hate to say it but I wonder if Catholic religious services are part of the reason this is getting at elderly populations in Italy and Spain in particular.
I can't speak to all of those countries, but Vietnam reacted very swiftly, shutting down schools, travel, and promoting good hygeine practices all the way back in January! In general, countries that responded aggressively to the virus early on have done much better.

Wojo

Oct 28, 2017
Buffalo
So what's the infection and fatality rate amongst kids? As a parent I worry most about my daughter. She is only 4. Don't know what Id do without her :(