• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Fellow American users, do you support the idea that U.S would adapt dramatic measures like Italy or Wuhan to quarantine the large cities like NYC/Seattle and states to ligate the virus if we encounter similar or worse situation like Italy?

This needs to happen. It is the only way.

I'm afraid we will eventually take those measures a month from now, but the delay would have already done so much damage.

How is this even happening? I can only summise that the masses are ignorant and are heething the warning bells thus fucking themselves over in the process.

The government is not acting fast/drastic enough. You can't expect the masses to self quarantine - they need to shut down.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm getting a little nervous. My throats feeling a little off, but I also have some reflux/silent reflux that causes some stuff so hard to tell. I just had a light cold 3/4 weeks ago. Theoretically if I got it, is it worse that I had a recent cold? I also had a worse cold in july.

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Tuscaloosa County is south of me. Literally next door.

I'm not having a panic attack but I'm seriously getting worried here.

Deleted member 1476

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It is nothing short of a miracle that Brasil isn't in some deep, deep shit right now. They held the carnival in february like nothing else was going on.

The numbers there and the way people interact would put to shame all those events that you mentioned combined.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
I have a contract up in April and won't be getting paid after this month. I aced interview but I think this is gonna freeze everything. I imagine a lot of people will have to worry about things like this and probably have it worse. Fuck.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
13 cases so far here in Orange County. All of the patients are over 50 because they're the only ones who got tested. Which I can all but guarantee means that there are FAR more people who have it than just haven't needed to go to the hospital. The colleges around me are moving to online but the public schools are still open -_-

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Just got off an incredibly uncomfortable call with my mother. She is so dead set on this being a plot to ruin the economy and take down Donald Trump.

No amount of "But people might die." arguing would snap her out of her fixation on this being an orchestrated panic.

6lPZXuj.jpg

Sigh.

Deleted member 7777

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is it mass hysteria everywhere? We have 4 cases, but no community transmissiom. Everyones flipping out. Grocery stores are empty. Its very, very frightening.

Mingoguaya

Oct 30, 2017
3 confirmed cases in Puerto Rico. 2 Italian tourists and a community case of a 70+ year old man. That cruise ship was let disembark and hang out in Old San Juan for more than 6 hours. 🤦🏽‍♂️

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Don't feel too bad, I've had to nearly stop talking to my mom because she believes stuff like that. I've found if I keep conversations short and stay away from politics I can almost pretend that things are fine.

I just don't understand how, after Trump declares a national emergency, anyone can still deny it's a big issue.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not breathing a sigh of relief until Orange Fuck actually signs the damn thing. Until then who knows what the fuck he'll do...

dhlt25

Oct 27, 2017
Italy and Spain seem to be getting hit hard, whereas most of Asia past China doesn't seem to be that impacted by death count.

Wonder if the warmer weather in Vietnam, Phillipines, Thailand, India really hurts transmission of the disease, because those four countries have a massive population, larger than all of Europe obviously, and there must have been considerable travel by some citizens back and forth to China due to business at the very least, and yet they don't even have like a combined 50+ deaths between them.

Japan relative to their population size and large elderly populace doesn't seem to have many deaths from this either.

I hate to say it but I wonder if Catholic religious services are part of the reason this is getting at elderly populations in Italy and Spain in particular.
Not sure about other Asian countries, but I just got back from a business trip in Vietnam and I must say the government's response there has been stellar. Health check at airport, hand sanitizer everywhere, poster everywhere reminding you to wash your hand etc., most people wear mask (I know there are debate about this but in vietnam there's more than enough supplies for everyone). I left last Sunday, on Friday there was a first new case in a few weeks, overnight all F1 contact were brought to a centralize isolation area, all F2 to F4 contact tracked, streets and building were sanitized. The response were swift and furious. Since then they have discovered a few more cases (mostly from EU imports) and has proceed to restrict travel from all of EU and locked down multiple cities. All businesses in those area are closed, people all WFH and schools are still of since Feb

Bigjig

Jun 4, 2018
It is nothing short of a miracle that Brasil isn't in some deep, deep shit right now. They held the carnival in february like nothing else was going on.

The numbers there and the way people interact would put to shame all those events that you mentioned combined.

I'm hoping that points to warm weather being able to quell the virus.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
Good luck America, you will need it now. Yesh. This really is the new 9/11 and Europe might be heading for the worst financial crisis in its history according to Ursula von der Leyen who is the President of the European Commission among other things according to our state news. It reads: The Crisis Is Now.
www.tagesschau.de

EU-Kommissionschefin von der Leyen: "Jetzt ist Krise"

EU-Kommissionspräsidentin von der Leyen sieht Europa in der vielleicht größten wirtschaftlichen Krise der Geschichte. Im tagesthemen-Interview verteidigte sie die geplanten Konjunkturhilfen. Europa dürfe nicht kollabieren.
While I am here. My German stores were all stacked with the usual stuff as of yesterday. Our government is doing good work so far if you ask me. WTF? I love the governing center-right CDU now? ...No I don´t. (Your "center" is very different from what the US considers such a concept).

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018
So, guys, it seems the hot climate theory won't stand. We were just lagging behind. Mexico is starting to notice an increase in numbers already. We're at 26 confirmed cases now (up from 12 yesterday).

Starlightmuse

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 27, 2017

Schools, highschools and universities are closed until the 30th at the very least, the problem is that most people don't give a fuck. In my town people is walking and talking in the street as if nothing was happening, bars and restaurants are full of people and even fucking gyms are crowded as ever. Until there's literal policemen in the streets telling everyone to fuck off they won't change a bit of their usual lifestyle.
Also, government made a major fuck up because last monday they closed schools, highschools, civic centres and universities in Madrid, as it was the major focus of the virus. The problem is that they should have ALSO closed the city, because there're thousands of students from the rest of Spain in Madrid, so when they closed unis they all went back to their hometown (as anyone would do if they let them tbh, they were in the focus of the virus, in a city full of dipshits emptying all the food in every fucking shop and far away from their families), spreading the virus from the focus in Madrid to the rest of the country.

We are fucked and doomed to end up like Italy. At least we have a really really nice healthcare, which is also free for everyone in the country. But we also have a high elderly population, which worries me.

Addi

Oct 25, 2017
That's seriously high for Norway considering its population and the fact that they're still a few days behind Italy.

Half of them are people that traveled to Italy and Austria during the winter break at the end of February, and mostly in places that weren't known to be dangerous regions at the time. That's also why the death rate is pretty low, most were younger people going skiing in the alps.

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018
Schools, highschools and universities are closed until the 30th at the very least, the problem is that most people don't give a fuck. In my town people is walking and talking in the street as if nothing was happening, bars and restaurants are full of people and even fucking gyms are crowded as ever. Until there's literal policemen in the streets telling everyone to fuck off they won't change a bit of their usual lifestyle.
Also, government made a major fuck up because last monday they closed schools, highschools, civic centres and universities in Madrid, as it was the major focus of the virus. The problem is that they should have ALSO closed the city, because there're thousands of students from the rest of Spain in Madrid, so when they closed unis they all went back to their hometown (as anyone would do if they let them tbh, they were in the focus of the virus, in a city full of dipshits emptying all the food in every fucking shop and far away from their families), spreading the virus from the focus in Madrid to the rest of the country.

We are fucked and doomed to end up like Italy. At least we have a really really nice healthcare, which is also free for everyone in the country. But we also have a high elderly population, which worries me.

Stay strong brothers. I suspect we're going to experience something terrible here in Mexico as well once this shit starts to take off. People are mostly unaware and clueless, plus our government keep feeding the same old "it's gonna be ok" rhetoric. We're not taking any preventive measures and once we start riding that same exponential, things will get really ugly.

Nude_Tayne

Jan 8, 2018
earth
Anyone know the best legal(...) way to ship hand sanitizer in the mail? My immunocomprimised sister, who was told for two fucking weeks to stock up on supplies and didn't get any hand sanitizer, is currently out and I have a shit ton, but it's apparently illegal to ship it in the US aside from USPS Retail Ground and stuff like that. If I shipped it by normal 2-3 day delivery using any of the carriers is there a real risk that I would get caught somehow?

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm seriously in awe of SKs death rate.

Japan (126 mill people) + Vietnam (95.5 million) + Thailand (69 million) + Phillipines (104 million) + India (1.34 billion)

Having a combined number of deaths that total approximately 28 is honestly a little mind blowing, especially given their closer proximity and numerous business ties to China.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Anyone know the best legal(...) way to ship hand sanitizer in the mail? My immunocomprimised sister, who was told for two fucking weeks to stock up on supplies and didn't get any hand sanitizer, is currently out and I have a shit ton, but it's apparently illegal to ship it in the US aside from USPS Retail Ground and stuff like that. If I shipped it by normal 2-3 day delivery using any of the carriers is there a real risk that I would get caught somehow?
Is using normal soap not an option? It's supposed to be more effective than sanitizer anyway...

Ashdroid

Oct 27, 2017
Is it mass hysteria everywhere? We have 4 cases, but no community transmissiom. Everyones flipping out. Grocery stores are empty. Its very, very frightening.
There's zero cases in my immediate region (western NY), but grocery stores were wiped bare of all the basics. Bread, milk, eggs, torillas, flour, yeast, frozen veggies, frozen pizza, sliced/shredded cheeses, paper towels, toilet paper, napkins, paper plates... And that's just what I noticed while I quickly ran in for a few things.

People are going nuts. :/

Last edited:

realricochet

Apr 30, 2019
Mexico
Stay strong brothers. I suspect we're going to experience something terrible here in Mexico as well once this shit starts to take off. People are mostly unaware and clueless, plus our government keep feeding the same old "it's gonna be ok" rhetoric. We're not taking any preventive measures and once we start riding that same exponential, things will get really ugly.
The situation here in Nuevo León may alarm many, events like Pal Norte and public schools will continue to be open.
I do not see the state concerned about this.

OP
OP
wandering

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
Japan (126 mill people) + Vietnam (95.5 million) + Thailand (69 million) + Phillipines (104 million) + India (1.34 billion)

Having a combined number of deaths that total approximately 28 is honestly a little mind blowing, especially given their closer proximity and numerous business ties to China.

Don't worry; Asians will get blamed for this disease anyway

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Could SK have people with specific genes that have better immunity?

I mean I don't know enough to say, but if that's the case then apparently people in Vietnam, Thailand, India, must have it too since COVID-19 seems to be struggling to gain a foothold there.

It's actually kind of remarkable that the rest of broader Asia doesn't seem to be getting hit all that hard.

I don't know what to make of it. Maybe Vietnam, Thailand, Phillipines, India benefit from consistent temperatures above 25 C. But that doesn't explain Japan as their temperature is still fairly cool, same with South Korea, although maybe in those two cases their solid health care systems have helped?

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
An actual question. The current toilet paper hoarding in the US is real, right? The current photos of the empty stores look legit, some are even property dated.
edition.cnn.com

The psychology behind why toilet paper, of all things, is the latest coronavirus panic buy | CNN

Toilet paper does not offer special protection against the virus. It's not considered a staple of impending emergencies, like milk and bread are. So why are people buying up rolls more quickly than they can be restocked? There are several reasons.

I had to shit in the woods when I was in the army or even as a kid on summer vacations in the middle of nowhere in an economically broken Russia. It would never ever come to my mind that He who controls the toilet paper controls the universe. Buy up the rubbing alcohol, soap or storable food like noodles if you really must go into panic shopping mode. Stuff like that is what will help you. But don´t of course. You can always clean your ass with let´s say tab water if the supply lines run out and other more pressing problems will arise if there is no tab water. But there will be. The Spanish flu this ain´t. The current retrospectives on that one are apocalyptic.
www.theguardian.com

How Spanish flu nearly ripped apart Australia's fledgling federation | Paul Daley

A nation supposedly forged in the hellfire of war almost crumbled in the face of a virulent threat at home
Covid-19 isn´t. At least for us youngins. Well, I am kinda young.

Fuck this year and fuck this month but the way this week spiraled isn´t all that surprising in the end. We were warned. Can´t say that I am enjoying my current mild cold in this environment but the temperature dropped like a rock all of a sudden. Stay safe boys and girls.

Don't worry; Asians will get blamed for this disease anyway
Aren´t they always? Sigh. China´s govenment clearly fucked up but the overall problem ain´t their fault.

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018
The situation here in Nuevo León may alarm many, events like Pal Norte and public schools will continue to be open.
I do not see the state concerned about this.

Here in Mexico City they're not even cancelling Vive Latino, and another poster mentioned La Feria de San Marcos is definitely happening. Don't even wanna think what's coming our way.

Bigjig

Jun 4, 2018

Yep, SK has a fairly high death rate considering the age range of those infected. Japan and South East Asia are doing an even better job

OP
OP
wandering

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017

HTupolev

Oct 27, 2017
An actual question. The current toilet paper hoarding in the US is real, right? The current photos of the empty stores look legit, some are even property dated.
Stores are definitely running out of TP. But it's unclear to what degree it's because TP is being specifically targeted, versus TP inventory just generally being low because packs of TP take up a huge amount of shelf space.