• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My local cons are being stubborn and not canceling, stating that since there's 5 weeks left at least, they need to find a comfortable solution for everyone.

Like seriously? I know we have no deaths in my area, but come the fuck on. Even the local goverment has banned gatherings of over 250 or more. Read the room already.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
This is a disgrace, we had months to prepare for that, we knew that there are shortages, we did fucking nothing. I guess the head of the CDC asked people on twitter not to buy so many.
The US can make more masks, it's not beyond the technological reach of America, we just need to stop with that dumb belief that the free market is the best way to allocate scarce resources.

Yeah it's pretty annoying. My sister in law is an OR nurse and she's telling me to stock up on cough medicine/musinex for mild symptoms if we happen to get Covid-19, says the hospitals are nearing a breaking point and to avoid it

the_bromo_tachi

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Japan
I'm currently in Japan at the moment, came about a month ago for business meetings. I decided to extend my stay since I personally feel safer here than in NYC.

While lack of testing could be a legitimate issue, I do feel like the population is doing a lot to mitigate the spread. Similar to South Korea, most are wearing face masks, sanitizing often, and generally being hygienic. People are treating it pretty seriously overall. All the service people wear face masks, and while that may not help in preventing them from getting it, it does help to limit the spread from people who do have it, especially from people who don't show symptoms yet.

I could easily be way too optimistic though. I'll know for sure in a month's time.
Let's trade work places. At my job, while more people are wearing masks, people still aren't even washing their hands... they do the typical splash their hands in water and just leave.

someday

Oct 25, 2017
Spoke to my surgeon, there was a government mandate to cancel operations unless they're absolutely necessary for at least one month. Right now I'm still on for Friday, but he's going to check in on Wednesday and if it's at all a bad idea (if Covid patients are in the Cardiac ICU or OR) they're going to cancel. It might be two weeks, it might be six. We have no idea and we also don't know how long I'll be able to hold out while we potentially wait so it's a balancing act of not killing me in the hospital but also me not dying at home. Man, these are things I never thought I'd have to type or say.
It makes sense and I'm hoping it works for you soon. I used to work at UWMC and as far as I can see, that's one of the worst Seattle hospitals for covid to take off. It's a transplant center, cardiac center, and treats SCCA cancer patients (among many other things). UW specializes in so many of the Covid-19 risk factor conditions that their patients are particularly at risk.

Nude_Tayne

Jan 8, 2018
earth
Was at a grocery store in Madison today (Festival Foods for anyone around here) and was surprised at how much they still have, although of course they're out of any kind of alcohol/hand sanitizer/wipes. There was more of a sense of urgency among everyone although no craziness or arguing or shoving things off of shelves into carts like I've been hearing about. I'm sure it's coming, though. Someone a town over in Sun Prairie was confirmed to have it today. Scary to think that I'm sure I've walked by people who are carrying this virus, if I'm not already. Scary times.

I also can't stop thinking about local business like restaurants, cafes, etc. What the hell is going to happen? Is there just going to be a massive purge of these businesses?

SushiReese

Oct 30, 2017
Fellow American users, do you support the idea that U.S would adapt dramatic measures like Italy or Wuhan to quarantine the large cities like NYC/Seattle and states to ligate the virus if we encounter similar or worse situation like Italy?

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
Fellow American users, do you support the idea that U.S would adapt dramatic measures like Italy or Wuhan to quarantine the large cities like NYC/Seattle and states to ligate the virus if we encounter similar or worse situation like Italy?

honestly..I suspect its too late to quarantine by area. Its everywhere and we're going to see numbers skyrocket as testing (finally) becomes widely available.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Im not trying to fear monger. But i feel like were in the brink of societal collapse. Ive never been more anxious in my life. I dont know if my parents will live, i havent been eating because im scared of running out of food. And im worried that people will start trying to rob and kill eachother over supplies. Im scared as hell, and i dont know what to do. I dont want to leave my apartment, but i have to for work. I feel like im letting my partner down, but this is one of the lowest points ive ever been at

JustinBailey

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I went in CO to get tested today as enough bullet points have aligned in how I'm feeling that I felt it was necessary. Turned away. Not enough tests basically, and my health is not poor enough. I'm doing my best to quarantine until I get a better vision of what is going on.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tried to get toilet paper tonight. Nope. Are you guys like totally avoiding going out now? As in no gym, restaurants, stores, etc?

After my uni canceled everything, yeah. I already work remotely and have food supplies for a month, easily. I might still go out to do supply runs for others family members that are old, but I don't see that happening at least for a week.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Im not trying to fear monger. But i feel like were in the brink of societal collapse. Ive never been more anxious in my life. I dont know if my parents will live, i havent been eating because im scared of running out of food. And im worried that people will start trying to rob and kill eachother over supplies. Im scared as hell, and i dont know what to do. I dont want to leave my apartment, but i have to for work. I feel like im letting my partner down, but this is one of the lowest points ive ever been at

Dude, I know it's crazy, but you need to try to find some level of normalcy in all of this. The wife and I need to game plan what the hell we are going to do with the kids for the next six weeks.

Takuhi

Oct 27, 2017

I don't think a quarantine makes any sense when it's already in every state in the union. I think closing all non-essential businesses is probably as far as it makes sense to go here.

SushiReese

Oct 30, 2017
I also can't stop thinking about local business like restaurants, cafes, etc. What the hell is going to happen? Is there just going to be a massive purge of these businesses?
Based on the stories I heard from China, the answer is sadly Yes. All restaurants, bars and service industry department basically have been shut down for 2 months, and even big food chain restaurants and hotels plea for financial assistance for government and commercial banks. Some of the best restaurants, KTV and cafes I knew in town went bankruptcy and lay off thousands of people.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco

Look at China and look at Italy. No one is looting or robbing or killing each other. They are standing together. We are all in this together.

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
I don't think a quarantine makes any sense when it's already in every state in the union. I think closing all non-essential businesses is probably as far as it makes sense to go here.
Quarantines don't exist just to contain epidemics. They also serve to slow them down and allow more time for proper medical resources to be made available. China's lockdown of Hubei is a great example of this. The disease also got out everywhere by then, but slowing down the rate of transmission is the only reason they're back on the road to recovery right now. This is going to be harder for the US because the government botched up so badly, but every little bit helps.

I can't believe it has come down to this but if they think it's that bad then they need to completely lockdown the city.
This will probably happen sometime next week.

Kanann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User banned (2 days): Inappropriate commentary.

Try this; buy and stock a lot of supplies in secret, really really extremely secret.

But when robbing, stealing, or even killing happen, you go robbing like you need it too. Win win situation.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
Now I gotta figure out how to take care of my kid who's out of school until April 20.... and still stay employed to pay my bills.

Bigjig

Jun 4, 2018
Fingers crossed, but it appears Japan's aggressive early containment measures are starting to pay off. Hopefully we can keep it under control

52club

Oct 27, 2017

As a fellow pessimist who refers to himself as a realist, take a deep breath. Then try to find small things that lighten your mood, also enjoy the present, and realize people have dealt with much worse. Look at this as a chance to show your character and take advantage of helping those that need help. I can't say what you stated might happen is less likely to happen, because societal norms will likely be tested, but remember worrying about it isn't going to make any less likely to happen.

Lugia

Oct 27, 2017
The US really need to take Chinese containment measures if they want to minimize the spread of the virus. Community spread is already happening, and something drastic needs to change to fight the pandemic.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

We're not there, just take a step back and breathe.

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018
Each country on that graph posted some days ago with the exponential growth is following the trend. Numbers in Spain, Germany, France and the USA are about to hit 10k soon.

Numberfox

Aug 5, 2018
Let's trade work places. At my job, while more people are wearing masks, people still aren't even washing their hands... they do the typical splash their hands in water and just leave.

Yeah, there's just this attitude of not thinking/caring too much about the whole situation in the US that makes me hesitant in returning anytime soon.

Trice

Banned
Nov 3, 2018
Croatia
I'm looking at the table on worldmeters and some countries with single digit and low double digit numbers of infected are already reporting deaths. This shit is everywhere

Nov 1, 2017
An employee at the company I work for had contact with a confirmed case and so they had us WFH today but it sounds like the plan is just to clean the building over the weekend and send us back on Monday. Fucking stupid. 1000 people work in this building.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Italy and Spain seem to be getting hit hard, whereas most of Asia past China doesn't seem to be that impacted by death count.

Wonder if the warmer weather in Vietnam, Phillipines, Thailand, India really hurts transmission of the disease, because those four countries have a massive population, larger than all of Europe obviously, and there must have been considerable travel by some citizens back and forth to China due to business at the very least, and yet they don't even have like a combined 50+ deaths between them.

Japan relative to their population size and large elderly populace doesn't seem to have many deaths from this either.

I hate to say it but I wonder if Catholic religious services are part of the reason this is getting at elderly populations in Italy and Spain in particular.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017

France had some stupid ass Smurf event too.