• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ah shit, I think I need to go stock up if people are going to be emptying stores when it's not even that bad yet.

oasis007

Oct 27, 2017
This is from Obama's former medicare adviser.

In all likelihood, it's going to be far worse than that, with congress' in-house doctor predicting that 75 to 150 million Americans will catch corona. From what we've seen in other countries, 10% of the infectees require intensive care. There are only 65,000 total ICU beds in the United States. When you consider our atrocious healthcare, the financial state of most American workers, and the large rural areas considered medical deserts, we are looking at millions of dead. The WHO's 3.5% average mortality would translate into 4 to 5 million dead alone. Italy's average is closer to 7%, and while they have more elderly, the response here has been so negligent or sloppy that we may land in their shoes.

Hopefully these predictions are way off, because yikes. This guy has credentials though

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's more likely they don't show any symptoms so they haven't even been tested. They probably get it at comparable rates to other people, just they don't get sick from it (or at least not more than usual) and none of them have died so no incentive in confirming if they have it or not.
yea, this

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Testing is almost meaningless at this point. Sure, it is good to know people have it, but it's everywhere at this point. Knowing it is in another place, just tells you it will soon jump to somewhere else. There is no stopping that. Sure, definitely continue testing, I am not saying stop that, but huge influxes of money should now be going to make hospitals better equipped. Build temporarily new ICU, get more machines to help critical patients. All this will save 10,000+ lives in April, May, June
Every country that got it under control said that extensive testing is one of the most important tools that they use, that include Wuhan, who had 10s of thousands of infected people before there was even a way to test for this virus.
America can't manage to get the test capacity up so we can also test non-rich and famous people, and instead of demanding that they fucking fix that, or fuck, ask China to give us some, we're just like, yeah, it's probably not important now.

fragamemnon

Nov 30, 2017
omg-
Patient escaped covid-19 quarantined facility out of Kent, WA (south suburbs of Seattle). He is awaiting test results whether he is positive or not. press briefings on right now

Escape from Kent is like the action movie Seattle always wanted but hasn't gotten.

Not sure who is getting sent to that facility, figured they would use it for long term convalescence to free up beds in hospitals. If they are using it to isolate the chronic homeless-yeah that will get UGLY without the proper mental care support.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
Why are people hoarding toilet paper? Of all the items you need to survive...

Will toilet paper be the currency in a post-corona world?

I think they are building forts with it.

This is a store near my house today. They only thing left on the entire shelf are some paper towels.

FinKL

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

This is a store near my house today. They only thing left on the entire shelf are some paper towels.

In a pinch, you damn well will wipe your ass w/ paper towels and throw it in the trash. Surprised those arent gone as well lol

Does any have a cache or READ and can highlight points from this study?
It's down :( EDIT It's probably down since notes weren't accurate, nevermind

gr0w

Oct 28, 2017

At least you have paper towels, the morons here in Amsterdam bought everything paper-like they could grab, nothing left to wipe ur butt with -_-

fragamemnon

Nov 30, 2017
Like go to exurban stores. People are way less worried and they have the same supplies for generally less people.

If you roll up to always busy suburban hot spot grocery and Costco, you're gonna be sad.

Seattle has extremely high rents and labor costs. Restaurants on the ropes will get annihilated, but like a forest fire, regeneration of new ones will happen quickly once things stabilize.

Ryu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok.. keeping up with this thread is getting super hard. But I did it. Those numbers from Italy are super hard to watch. Spain is also looking really really bad. Like really bad. I hope we can turn this around. US would still have the chance to avoid it with super strict measures but you would need them like yesterday. The virus isn't super concentrated on one place yet... But of course douchebag president didn't act fast enough.

Oct 27, 2017
Man, this whole situation has been stressing me out.

1) My girlfriend is in her home country right now (India), needs to come back at some point for her work in the US, and our communication recently has dwindled. At this point I don't know if I'll see her again

2) I need to pass my oral quals for graduate school soon, but my university is in disarray, moving to online classes and everyone is leaving. I have no idea what's going to happen and can't really focus on studying amidst the chaos.

I know this is nothing compared to people suffering from coronavirus and the loss of loved ones, and shouldnt really be complaining, but just needed to vent

Garfield

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Wales cancels planned hospital surgery appointments
The Welsh health minister has announced that all elective operations and non-urgent outpatient appointments in the nation are to be cancelled, to help the NHS there cope with an expected increase in the number of conoravirus-related admissions.
Vaughan Gething said he expected a "larger number of people requiring high levels of care is highly likely over the coming weeks". Access to cancer treatments and dialysis for kidney failure would not be affected, he added.
BBC Wales health correspondent Owain Clarke said the move would affect those patients who needed to stay in intensive care after their operation, and that to see the Welsh government act in this way was "unprecedented".

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
In a pinch, you damn well will wipe your ass w/ paper towels and throw it in the trash. Surprised those arent gone as well lol

Does any have a cache or READ and can highlight points from this study?
It's down :( EDIT It's probably down since notes weren't accurate, nevermind
At least you have paper towels, the morons here in Amsterdam bought everything paper-like they could grab, nothing left to wipe ur butt with -_-

Shhhh... don't give them ideas.

Shorty11857

Oct 25, 2017
Getting married April 23rd in Ireland. Reaching out to the hotel to try to push it back hoping we can. No longer feel comfortable travelling

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
Translating it in full is perhaps a bit much, but I can summarize.

By noon local time (UTC +1), all Danish borders will be closed, including full or partial shutdowns of air, land and sea transports. This lasts until April 13th. The police will handle border control, but the military will also be present at the border.

Latest numbers are 801 infected, 23 hospitalized, 4 in ICU, 2 in critical condition.

The measures are for people, not goods, and you can pass through the borders if you have an approved purpose. Transport of goods is one such, so is living abroad, but working in Denmark. Visiting sick family is also approved, or any other time critical visit, but social visits are explicitly banned. All vehicles will be checked, so expect delays.

Similarly, ALL travel out is now discouraged. Unless you have a critical reason, you should stay home. The entire world is in "orange" condition, with the known hotspots being "red". Those colors mean things for travel restrictions, but you can guess, I assume. If you're a Dane and not in Denmark, you are heavily encouraged to return home immediately.

That's the gist of it. There's some talk about how it's uncharted waters and how we'll get through it if we all do our part, which is nice, but the above are the cold facts from it.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
User banned (5 days): ignoring staff post, fearmongering
Everyone really does need to take their prepping and shopping very seriously now, if they didn't before.

The shit hasn't even started to hit the fan yet. What you're seeing now is meme material, people laughing about building toilet paper forts.

Think about some of the Black Friday videos you've seen. The violence. For $2 off a waffle iron.

If things get worse and the supply chain can't keep up, it's going to be for keeps. People won't be laughing about TP forts. They're going to be trying to feed their children.

This is why I pushed so hard starting two months ago for everyone to stock their freezers, fridges, and pantries to the limit. It isn't too late.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Translating it in full is perhaps a bit much, but I can summarize.

By noon local time (UTC +1), all Danish borders will be closed, including full or partial shutdowns of air, land and sea transports. This lasts until April 13th. The police will handle border control, but the military will also be present at the border.

Latest numbers are 801 infected, 23 hospitalized, 4 in ICU, 2 in critical condition.

The measures are for people, not goods, and you can pass through the borders if you have an approved purpose. Transport of goods is one such, so is living abroad, but working in Denmark. Visiting sick family is also approved, or any other time critical visit, but social visits are explicitly banned. All vehicles will be checked, so expect delays.

Similarly, ALL travel out is now discouraged. Unless you have a critical reason, you should stay home. The entire world is in "orange" condition, with the known hotspots being "red". Those colors mean things for travel restrictions, but you can guess, I assume. If you're a Dane and not in Denmark, you are heavily encouraged to return home immediately.

That's the gist of it. There's some talk about how it's unharted waters and how we'll get through it if we all do our part, which is nice, but the above are the cold facts from it.

Shit's fucked, huh? Damn. Stay safe, Denmark. And thank you so much for the translation.

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone really does need to take their prepping and shopping very seriously now, if they didn't before.

The shit hasn't even started to hit the fan yet. What you're seeing now is meme material, people laughing about building toilet paper forts.

Think about some of the Black Friday videos you've seen. The violence. For $2 off a waffle iron.

If things get worse and the supply chain can't keep up, it's going to be for keeps. People won't be laughing about TP forts. They're going to be trying to feed their children.

This is why I pushed so hard starting two months ago for everyone to stock their freezers, fridges, and pantries to the limit. It isn't too late.
Not only that, but honestly you should think about protecting yourself as if people get desperate and cant feed their families, they may try to steal from you.

Hinkypunk

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
Why are so many confused by TP hoarding?

If you and your family are in quarantine/self-isolation for 2-4 weeks, you need 2-4 weeks of toilet paper. No usual weekly trips to stock up at the grocery store because you can't leave the house. Worst case scenario you have too much and just don't buy it from the store for a couple trips when everything is back to normal.

Seems obvious to me. To be clear: I'm not hoarding myself. But I get why it is so common.

Luke_wal

Oct 25, 2017
My wife (primary earner in our home since I work at a non-profit) just got laid off from the job she started Monday! Turns out, when you work in event planning, they can't pay your salary when every event gets cancelled. Suddenly, none of the tweets or jokes seem amusing anymore.

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
Testing is almost meaningless at this point. Sure, it is good to know people have it, but it's everywhere at this point. Knowing it is in another place, just tells you it will soon jump to somewhere else. There is no stopping that. Sure, definitely continue testing, I am not saying stop that, but huge influxes of money should now be going to make hospitals better equipped. Build temporarily new ICU, get more machines to help critical patients. All this will save 10,000+ lives in April, May, June

We still need to test because not everyone can self-isolate and people who regularly come into contact with vulnerable populations need to make sure they're not going to infect those populations.

Plus, there are critical things that still need to be maintained and so much the better that we know that those people are not spreading it themselves.

Pickman

Nov 20, 2017
Huntington, WV
Hotel management came to the front desk staff today and told us to expect severely cut hours or layoffs within the next two weeks. We went from 80-100% booked for the next 6 weeks to sub-50% and still dropping reservations steadily. I really hope my landlord is understanding about this situation because I am about to not be able to pay rent until I find a new job here in town.

Nude_Tayne

Jan 8, 2018
earth
My wife (primary earner in our home since I work at a non-profit) just got laid off from the job she started Monday! Turns out, when you work in event planning, they can't pay your salary when every event gets cancelled. Suddenly, none of the tweets or jokes seem amusing anymore.
Sorry that really sucks.

We're going to see a loooot of this in the coming months unfortunately. I don't know how the country is going to deal with it.