• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

HipsterMorty

alt account
Banned
Jan 25, 2020
Question.

Will this show the US that a public healthcare system is a necessity?
No. If anything the logic of people is going to be that not having universal healthcare makes it so that less people are able to afford healthcare, making access to care more accessible for them. Basically fuck poor people, I deserve to have insurance and get treated on a priority basis.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Three weeks ago WHO said that by now we would have preliminary results on the clinical trials, but there's no info on that yet. Just read a preprint saying that remdesivir (the only antiviral that has shown promise) has some serious gastrointestinal side effects. :/
Experimental Drug Helps Some Americans Ride Out Coronavirus, NIH Doctor Says

The antiviral drug remdesivir appeared to have an effect in American cruise passengers treated for the novel coronavirus in Japan, although data are limited, according to a doctor sent to Tokyo by the U.S. government.
Published 4 hours ago. It's behind a paywall, but it looks somewhat hopeful.
www.wsj.com

Experimental Drug Helps Some Americans Ride Out Coronavirus, NIH Doctor Says

The antiviral drug remdesivir appeared to have an effect in American cruise passengers treated for the novel coronavirus in Japan, although data are limited, according to a doctor sent to Tokyo by the U.S. government.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
So, question about this. Looks like the size of a coronavirus is something like 50-100nm. An air molecule is ~0.4nm. How big are the holes in the material of something like a medical/dust mask?

Not sure, assume most are different depending on the type of mask but most of them don't stop air coming around the side so when it comes to breathing in it's irrelevant. You would need a fully sealed mask to stop that.

Breathing out and coughing etc is stopped by it though because all of the material is contained to the centre front of the mask (although this parts depends on the size you're asking about obviously)

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017
This will get much much worse before it gets better...

On the other hand, it is good to know these things because it helps us plan for ways to better mitigate the spread of the virus, flatten the curve, and hopefully develop better treatments. One of the biggest holes we have right now is in terms of knowledge of this disease and the more we learn, the better prepared we can be for the future.

The biggest problem so far really seems to be what this paper highlights: COVID-19 reproduces quickly and thus makes people fairly infectious before they show symptoms, and perhaps for a while after symptoms start to fade.

Sendero

Oct 25, 2017
Question.

This is one of the criticisms that I have on Bernie: His team should have bombarded the news with a simple/comprehensive plan that frames M4A under the Coronavirus crisis from at least February.
In that way, he now would afford to say:

See? Told you so. True leaders prepare in advance.

Instead, Trump will be forced to grant free kits, and hence will appear as "magnanimous".
But answering your question, I believe that it would require the crisis to peak for months/a year, for most people to even start making those kind of inferences.

It might accelerate if Canada start to ration medications exports, though.

HipsterMorty

alt account
Banned
Jan 25, 2020
Better get your supplies before 3 pm ET then
It'll be a shit show after
My wife and I made a trip to WinCo last night. They were surprisingly well stocked aside from rice, split peas, and green lentils (thankfully they had some red lentils left). Still had lots of pasta in the bulk bins. Still had a good stock of canned foods. Frozen stuff was still available. No TP but they had tissues and paper towels.

The worst part was the hour long wait for the checkstand. I can only imagine today is going to be 10x worse. We were relieved that we went yesterday, originally our plan was to go tonight. Got enough food for the next 2-3 weeks.

Rune Walsh

Too many boners
Oct 25, 2017
Ricketts is waiting for communal spread to close schools and limit crowd sizes. Where's that XKCD comic about waiting for things to get worse?

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Norway has sanctioned the biggest ever non-war-time action(s) the country has ever seen. Government will start paying for every worker lay-offs after 48 hours (usually firms have to pay the worker for the first 15 days of lay-off before government takes over, paying 60% of full salary) where a lay-off can traditionally last 26 weeks before being let go or moving onto other options (Norway will pay anyone out of work a good portion of normal full-salary for a year and then a lower sum for the years beyond that). This in addition to several other big actions like lowering the tax, injecting billions into the health industry, air-industries, tourism etc., lots of prevention against firms going bankrupt and asking retired health-workers to return (where they will earn pay on top of their retirement payouts).

My parental company (energy, oil & gas industry) is basically shutting down everything starting today, putting hundreds of people in lay-off, and cutting off funding for our software development project using force majeure (usually we would have required a 90-day warning but the virus is not something they could have avoided hence they use force majeure). I was asked to keep the fort (support & maintenance) on the particular software project while ten of my colleagues are relocated.

Last edited:

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
Question.

What this is certainly going to do is bring production of medicine, medical supplies, and medical equipment back to the US on a subsidized basis. I expect this to happen across the world, and countries like China and Taiwan are really going to be hit hard. This could happen across any number of industries, depending on how seriously supply chain managers are looking at their weaknesses right now.

What does this mean? What happens during National Emergency?

The long and short of it is that agencies like FEMA are activated start rolling out. This same thing happened even under Trump during certain massive wildfires and regional floods.

HipsterMorty

alt account
Banned
Jan 25, 2020
What does this mean? What happens during National Emergency?
It doesn't do anything on it's own, but it gives the president special powers to take actions they normally wouldn't be able to from a legal standpoint;

An analysis by the Brennan Center for Justice, a liberal law and public policy institute, at New York University's School of Law identified 136 statutory powers that emergency declarations could give the president, covering everything from the military and land use to public health and agriculture. The president could, for example, take over or shut down radio stations or even "suspend a law that prohibits the testing of chemical and biological weapons on unwitting human subjects," the analysis says.

Rubmifer

Oct 28, 2017
Someone at work drove someone to the hospital yesterday. That person she drove now tested positive for Corona. She's now in quarantine. Curious to see what will happen to us now.

Metalgus

Oct 27, 2017
Just announced that schools are closed for two weeks in Québec, Canada. There's ''only'' 17 cases in the province so far, but lots of things have been shutting down since yesterday (mainly because they're asking for no more gatherings of more than 250 people).

I'll be teleworking 100% for the near future it seems. My wife has been unemployed for a while so she can take care of our kid. Also we're well stocked on food and items, so I feel we're in a pretty good place (best it can be under the circumstances).

ValeYard

Oct 25, 2017
Schools and kindergartens closed in my state in Germany until mid-April now.

I've been in this thread since the start and it's felt like a slow tidal wave approaching. Hopefully the social distancing measures flatten the curve. Stay safe everyone.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Belgium has taken another drastic step: the political parties are actually considering forming a government after not having one for more than a year. Only takes a global pandemic nowadays

President Bolsonaro was fake news. His test is negative.
Let's trust the evil overlords to share news?

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2017
www.nytimes.com

Two Women Fell Sick From the Coronavirus. One Survived. (Published 2020)

The young medical professionals came down with fevers. Within weeks, they were both lying in hospital beds, hooked up to IVs or oxygen machines.

Two Women Fell Sick From the Coronavirus. One Survived.
By Sui-Lee Wee and Vivian WangMarch 13, 2020

The young medical professionals, who worked long hours on the front lines in Wuhan, first came down with fevers. Within weeks, both were in hospital beds, hooked up to IVs or oxygen machines

Really sad story. Sometimes stats don't tell the whole truth. You never who can succumb to this thing.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
lmao Bolsonaro would never confirm he has it. Neither would Trump. We will know soon enough, you can't hide symptoms.

OP
OP
wandering

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
www.nytimes.com

Two Women Fell Sick From the Coronavirus. One Survived. (Published 2020)

The young medical professionals came down with fevers. Within weeks, they were both lying in hospital beds, hooked up to IVs or oxygen machines.

Really sad story. Sometimes stats don't tell the whole truth. You never who can succumb to this thing.

Yes, but medical professionals who are dealing with this crisis are in a different situation than most of us. Sustained exposure and work exhaustion increase one's vulnerability.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

After MotoGP, Formula 1, Formula E and countless other racing series, IndyCar joins the pack and cancels all events throughout March and April. They will try and have something going for May when the mythical Indy500 is held, but it's gonna be tough.

FLUXCapacitor

Oct 25, 2017
If a bill gets passed I really hope it includes extending unemployment benefits. I was laid off in January, and although I am not sick (yet) and even if I don't get sick at all, this will undoubtedly effect me as I believe many businesses are going to be on a hiring freeze for awhile.