• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Counter-point: this whole thing is so depressing that I just want to eat my donut and feel good.

I'm only half joking :(

I mean, I love donuts too, but this is at least something that can be done to mitigate things a little bit. I don't want to be pushy to anyone, but it is worth something to seriously consider right now. (Might even be worth making a topic on to help motivate others, but I'm not the best fitness person myself... Something to keep people focused on, with everything going on.)

Sampson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Not the newest news but since it's easy for stories to get lost:

www.jpost.com

Israeli scientists: 'In a few weeks, we will have coronavirus vaccine'

Once the vaccine is developed, it will take at least 90 days to complete the regulatory process and potentially more to enter the marketplace.

You can make a vaccine in a couple days.

It's going through trials, making sure that it's actually safe and effective that will take time. A year minimum.'

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Am I crazy and being overly cautious or is my family crazy?
We have 4 birthdays in the next week and 1 big party planned for Sunday. Saturday is my nephew's wedding shower with a bunch of strangers. I have a 6 day trip planned for next week to Memphis for a convention.
I cancelled all of it tonight.
My family isn't raging mad at me but seem disappointed, and my mom and sister in the same text thread were basically saying "No biggie, I'm living my life let's do it all!!!"
That seemed....odd to me.

My whole family except me are diehard Trump loving Republicans who literally watch Fox News all day everyday (I visit often - it drives me crazy).
So I still love them even though we hardcore disagree on politics, but I feel like they are just going on with life right now like nothing is happening and there is no reason to worry which is.....concerning to me.

My 92 year old grandmother lives with my parents and my dad is 67 with prostate cancer and they just...don't seem worried.

Should I just keep my mouth shut?
I'm basically in self quarantine right now. I'm not going out to do anything I don't have to and I feel like that is the smart, responsible thing to do but my fam made me feel sorrrrta crazy tonight lol.

Family. What are you gonna do!!

MarioW

PikPok
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
New Zealand
This guy to sent coronavirus infected Australians to one of the refugee camps set up on Christmas Island so all I'll say is;

lol

Who will play Tom Hanks in the movie about his ordeal? Hopefully, the doomed proposal of such a move will at least make some Australians ponder what they have been subjecting refugees to.

Meanwhile in NZ, there are murmurings we'll be getting a lot stricter on our border control. Being so dependent on international trade to even function I can't see that extending as far as stopping shipping. However, I could envisage some far reaching travel bans.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Am I crazy and being overly cautious or is my family crazy?
We have 4 birthdays in the next week and 1 big party planned for Sunday. Saturday is my nephew's wedding shower with a bunch of strangers. I have a 6 day trip planned for next week to Memphis for a convention.
I cancelled all of it tonight.
My family isn't raging mad at me but seem disappointed, and my mom and sister in the same text thread were basically saying "No biggie, I'm living my life let's do it all!!!"
That seemed....odd to me.

My whole family except me are diehard Trump loving Republicans who literally watch Fox News all day everyday (I visit often - it drives me crazy).
So I still love them even though we hardcore disagree on politics, but I feel like they are just going on with life right now like nothing is happening and there is no reason to worry which is.....concerning to me.

My 92 year old grandmother lives with my parents and my dad is 67 with prostate cancer and they just...don't seem worried.

Should I just keep my mouth shut?
I'm basically in self quarantine right now. I'm not going out to do anything I don't have to and I feel like that is the smart, responsible thing to do but my fam made me feel sorrrrta crazy tonight lol.

Family. What are you gonna do!!
You're not overly cautious, it is your family that doesn't understand the situation at all.
I wouldn't try to convince them otherwise, they seem they don't want to listen to you.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Posting the same post I had in another thread:

To me it's a goddamn joke that our (swedish) government still has not closed down the schools...That should be one of the first priority in an effort to try preventing an outbreak in any country. I just don't fucking get it. Sitting yesterday on a bus filled with school kids, blowing chewing gum, screaming and laughing with no concern or understanding how viruses spread. Literally taking a ride in a ticking bomb.
I take it you don't have kids.

Here's the rub: most healthcare professionals do have kids. If the schools close down they're forced to stay home and the already understaffed hospitals will definitely not be able to cope. If kids stay home they also come into contact with elderly and grandparents a lot more, potentially boosting the severe cases a manifold.

And there's not even particularly strong evidence that kids with next to no symptoms spread it, although it is indeed likely.

This is a delicate matter, but governments have compelling arguments not to close down (primary) schools.

Surface of Me

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You said April though. If cases progress in the States the way they did in Italy, the venue won't have any choice in the matter.

Haha you were right, Dallas just cancelled any gatherings 500+. Not sure if the venue even has that capacity, but either way the band postponed their tour to the fall. SHITTY thing though, is even after the band cancelled the venue was posting on Facebook actively trying to sell more tickets.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
You're not overly cautious, it is your family that doesn't understand the situation at all.
I wouldn't try to convince them otherwise, they seem they don't want to listen to you.

you are right about that - if I try to make a case to them they will just hand wave it away because I'm a crazy liberal. I've been down that road with them (after Trump was elected), and there really isn't anything that can change their minds. Almost seems like they are brainwashed but they are generally smart people do it is driving me insane that I can't get them to see what is happening right now!
I really hope my dad or gma don't get this. They are both in the highest risk group - older and immunosuppressed :/

Broken Hope

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lol at making a moment of the traffic guy's cough at 1: 56. That editor's getting promoted.

Tomorrow I'm going to probably the last international gig for the year here in Auckland. Keep in mind, we've only had five cases so far in the whole country.

Stop quoting numbers like they are anywhere close to accurate, confirmed numbers are just that, confirmed cases, they mean shit if testing is close to non existent.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Want to know why Washington Closed schools/banned public gatherings? Gates Foundation/Institute of Disease Modeling/Fred Hutch found without Social distancing, 400+ deaths and 25k infections:

www.seattletimes.com

Short-staffed and undersupplied: Coronavirus crisis strains Seattle area’s capacity to deliver care

Now as cases of virus-stricken patients suffering from COVID-19 multiply, Seattle-area government and hospital officials are facing the real-life consequences of shortcomings they’ve documented on paper for years.

ID-Modeling-W.jpg

Mar 3, 2019

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
If it spreads country wide, which looks likely, at least 5% of the population will need critical respiratory care of some kind

5% of the population is about 18 million

The US has less than 100.000 ICU beds

I sure wish there was serious consideration in setting up new, tent wings or something, to start prepping. I think China built a hospital in like a month? But we should get something started.... now.

shenden

Oct 27, 2017
I take it you don't have kids.

Here's the rub: most healthcare professionals do have kids. If the schools close down they're forced to stay home and the already understaffed hospitals will definitely not be able to cope. If kids stay home they also come into contact with elderly and grandparents a lot more, potentially boosting the severe cases a manifold.

And there's not even particularly strong evidence that kids with next to no symptoms spread it, although it is indeed likely.

This is a delicate matter, but governments have compelling arguments not to close down (primary) schools.

Yes, I understand that argument and it's the exact reason the government chose to keep schools open. To me personally, all I see is higher potential for the kids to get sick through school, they bring it back home and then the parents working in healthcare will of course prioritise staying home taking care of said sick kids and also probably getting infected themself in the end.

(Self)Isolation is the only right answer as I see it, people are going to get infected hospitals will be sooner or later understaffed because of the rising numbers of infected. I don't see the benefits of keeping schools open at all.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)

This guy to sent coronavirus infected Australians to one of the refugee camps set up on Christmas Island so all I'll say is;

lol

He just recently returned from a trip to the US.

I said it earlier, but this reinforces it: based on the number of cases we're seeing here in Australia in people returning from the US, the situation there seems to be a lot worse than people realise. I wonder if we'll announce a US travel ban soon.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
All these praise for China - ah yes, where government tried to silence and punish one doctor who saw the danger before anyone else.

The national government notified WHO 1 day after the Wuhan doctor was silenced. They didn't want to raise panic until the virus was identified. They didn't sit on their ass the whole time like our administration did. The Wuhan government acted like all the Western government after knowing about the virus. Put on a brave face and trade lives for the economy. In their defense it didn't seem all that serious at the time.

All levels of government at that time in China can actually legitimately use the excuse that they were blind sided. And they still managed to contain the virus.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Various companies around us closed shop. We are still operative, I suspect we'll continue until the government makes us stop or until we have an active case ourselves. I don't blame anybody for wanting to stop, but I believe continuing in our case makes sense. People work quite far apart from each other, a lot of people have masks, we've taken tons of precautions and given the countrywide restrictions people basically just roll between home and work, maybe buying groceries 1-2 times per week in the few open shops where few people are allowed in at any given time.

Think we minimized the risks as much as possible, but I also set up working from home for those roles where it would make sense. Now it's just a waiting game, really.

Blitz

Oct 29, 2017
I think the situation in Wuhan is getting better. So worst case is that we have to do exactly what Wuhan did. Lockdowns, etc.

GS_Dan

Oct 30, 2017
CHI huh? Yeah it had been brewing for some time. That travel ban certainly made it very difficult. Shame, I had a very good paper there and one of my colleagues is one of the general chairs 🙄.
Yup! Was meant to present too. What's your paper? For some reason our admins rushed the bookings through to get them in before the uni imposed travel limits. Super dumb, wasted tens of thousands on non-cancelable flights.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018

Sampson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Not sure if this warrants a separate thread, but one thing that's interesting to me and very noticeable is that the Chinese have clearly weaponized their troll farms to control the narrative on the English-speaking Internet.

I followed the Reddit /r/CoronaVirus quite extensively since about mid January. It's where I found the videos of the CCP welding people into their apartment buildings and dragging people from their homes.

But within the last week or two, the voice of this subreddit has completely shifted. Now, anything that's critical of China is instantly downvoted to oblivion, while anything that paints the Chinese in a good light makes the front page.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018

Thread on Wuhan lockdown, warns against wholesale adoption as once the population is let out, likely new infections will rise and we need to balance economic, social and personal effects vs the virus.

Orbis

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Is it true that people with obesity are at a higher risk of death from coronavirus?
I know one of the British deaths was a 53 year old woman, neither of those are particular risk factors for this virus but she had hypertension and diabetes, the former of which has been identified as a major risk factor from some quick googling.

It could be a major killer in the west.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
I don't think this happens to patients with mild symptoms? Pneumonia in general has the possibility to permanently damage lung tissue.

"Mild" symptoms in covid are classified as "not needing hospital stay" Everyone with Pneumonia SHOULD require a stay in a hospital, but we know how the US healthcare industry is.

Anyone who thinks they should just get Covid to get it over with is an idiot. Pneumonia doesn't care about age or healthiness. You can be classified as recovered and still have irreparable lung damage.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Not sure if this warrants a separate thread, but one thing that's interesting to me and very noticeable is that the Chinese have clearly weaponized their troll farms to control the narrative on the English-speaking Internet.

I followed the Reddit /r/CoronaVirus quite extensively since about mid January. It's where I found the videos of the CCP welding people into their apartment buildings and dragging people from their homes.

But within the last week or two, the voice of this subreddit has completely shifted. Now, anything that's critical of China is instantly downvoted to oblivion, while anything that paints the Chinese in a good light makes the front page.
Yeah official standpoint is now that it's very unclear where it originated and unfortunately Wuhan was the first real outbreak but also the valiant start of the containment. I read an article yesterday that China was working very hard to get the Chinese connotation out of the Coronavirus. Can't find it now though. Makes me worried about whether something will really get done about the wildlife wet markets.

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
He just recently returned from a trip to the US.

I said it earlier, but this reinforces it: based on the number of cases we're seeing here in Australia in people returning from the US, the situation there seems to be a lot worse than people realise. I wonder if we'll announce a US travel ban soon.
Eggman met with Ivanka Trump, William Barr and other high-ranking US officials days before he developed symptoms.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/h...s/news-story/c348b5e70d1f3dfad523a5bf41f2c584

dryz

Oct 30, 2017

Thread on Wuhan lockdown, warns against wholesale adoption as once the population is let out, likely new infections will rise and we need to balance economic, social and personal effects vs the virus.

So basically if the virus doesn't die out over spring/summer we will be in and out of quarantine for the whole year before we all get it.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
First german states are closing down schools. The recommendation is to not bring children to grandparents, as old people are part of the vulnerable group.
The RKI (german CDC) has also mentioned that the goal is to stop the german health system from having to go into "triage"; the need to choose whom to treat and whom to let die.

They keep on repeating that most, healthy people will be mostly unaffected (low-mild symptoms) but that vulnerable groups (old, chronic ill, cancer patients, and many more) are in high danger.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
1 million in America?

BS.

Just checked H1N1 and the wiki article linked me to this: https://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/estimates/April_March_13.htm

Apparently, H1N1, from CDC estimates, infected 60 million people, and killed 12k from April 2009 - March 2010.

FUCK. Honestly, i dont know what to think about his tweet.
H1N1 2009 had a mortality rate of like 0.002% while the current corona has a mortality of 1-2% (drastically increasing with more infected).