• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Introvert

Nov 5, 2017
Welp, it's here in Brooklyn now. Got an e-mail from Brooklyn College saying not to come to any of its campus buildings tomorrow because one of their students tested positive.

I was already paranoid because I've been feeling a bit fatigued over the past few days with a very slight scratchy throat and frequent sneezing. Now I'm gonna be doubly paranoid.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
Well, at least we're going to put a dent in emissions this year?
This will be an interesting year to study, for sure. The effect on emissions, stress test on global supply chains and economy, thousands of companies offering alternative working arrangements... It's a global-scale experiment for a lot of different things.

Sendero

Oct 25, 2017
FYA: Someone posted this link, with the count of cases:
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

but reading the FAQ, those numbers seems to be estimations, not official ones.
Worldometer shows estimated current numbers based on statistics and projections from the most reputable official organizations.

Our sources include the United Nations Population Division, World Health Organization (WHO), Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), International Monetary Fund (IMF), and World Bank.

We analyze the available data, perform statistical analysis, and build our algorithm which feeds the real time estimate.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jesus fucking Christ. I live in an apartment complex and the neighbor next door sounds like he's hacking up a lung. I can hear it through the walls.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
81mq53lJ8DL._RI_.jpg

?

That would be grader woops

Jake2byFour

Oct 28, 2017
Welp, it's here in Brooklyn now. Got an e-mail from Brooklyn College saying not to come to any of its campus buildings tomorrow because one of their students tested positive.

I was already paranoid because I've been feeling a bit fatigued over the past few days with a very slight scratchy throat and frequent sneezing. Now I'm gonna be doubly paranoid.
PS. 107 Park Slope is a little too close to home for me.

Lo-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
New Yawk City!

For what it's worth, sneezing is not a primary symptom. But as a fellow Brooklynite, I definitely share your feelings.

vectorj

Oct 30, 2017

They called around 11:50 on our land line! Calls in the middle of the night are already anxiety inducing, never mind one from the school.

Though I am quite thankful at the amount of info they have provided.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
Mods (i guess thats who to suggest to), once this ramps up in the U.S, this thread is gonna hit overtime, and likely strangle news from elsewhere, you may want to make country specific threads.

www.click2houston.com

Thousands board cruise ships in Galveston Thursday, despite coronavirus warnings

Despite all the warnings and worry about the coronavirus, at the Port of Galveston on Thursday, it looked like business as usual.

one person on that cruise is all it needs......

Introvert

Nov 5, 2017
PS. 107 Park Slope is a little too close to home for me.

Damn. Didn't hear about that one.

I haven't ridden a bicycle in over 20 years, but I'm seriously considering buying one for the sole purpose of avoiding commuting by the bus + train. Google maps says it would only take about 30 minutes or so, vs. the 1 hour and 20 minutes of taking mass transit. However, something tells me I'd end up on the hood of a car.

It's funny. When this whole thing started, I wasn't worried about because it was half way around the world. Now it's on my doorstep and I've got anxiety in my gut. I'm worried about my mother the most because she's 74 and still gets up and goes to work everyday as a home health aide. She refuses to retire saying that she'll just be bored at home.

Satori

Nov 13, 2017
Damn just got a call from my son's school that they are going to shut it down until Mid April. My father is now going to stay home as well instead of going to the adult center...Looks like I am going to have to figure out about my job so I can stay home to tend to both of them.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017

I'm pretty sure the third announced case in NYC was in Brooklyn from last week.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
Damn just got a call from my son's school that they are going to shut it down until Mid April. My father is now going to stay home as well instead of going to the adult center...Looks like I am going to have to figure out about my job so I can stay home to tend to both of them.
I imagine many nurses and other healthcare workers will encounter this same problem as school closures become more and more common.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Send an email to HR or if you feel like you have a better advocate send it to them. I imagine they will help you if you explain your situation.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
yup all my immediate family are healthcare providers and in the same boat.
The guest on Joe Rogan made this same point. Kids seem to not be affected by this virus at all, so the purpose of school closures is to prevent the virus from spreading through schools and then the kids infecting their parents back home. But does that benefit outweigh the effects of healthcare workers being forced to stay at home to watch over their kids, putting further strain on an already strained healthcare system?

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'm part of a nextdoor group in an austin suburb and someone was bitching about HEB being low on stuff and how everyone was panicking over nothing and then wrote: "That said my allergies are kicking up so tomorrow I'm going to go cough all over the store so I'll have it to myself."

And people responded saying they should do the same.

America is doomed, we are too stupid.

I've actually been surprised at how sensical the Cat Hollow (Round Rock) Facebook group has been.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
Bats to pangolion to human. I'm not sure if it mutated after it jumped to one animal or how that works, but would make semse with how it differed from the first SARS.

Thank you for the correction.

It's also a different strain from SARS-COV, but from the same family, so that's probably contributing to the difference in its infection rate as well.

Rocky Road

Jun 1, 2018
It has officially hit my state with one confirmed case, with small murmurs of a second case via someone being tested. Seems to be an "isolated" incident but it's still pretty frightening. My uni has extended spring break by a week in order to train most teachers on how to teach remotely. I'm not able to work right now, had to quit my very interactive job since I'm in an at-risk group. Luckily my partner makes a lot of money via her remote job and we stocked up on a lot, so no need to leave the house. I'm a little worried about having to hit the grocery store again at some point though, especially if this keeps going on for some months now. This really sucks, I wanna go and visit my dad and stuff across town but he lives in a very public apartment complex and is likewise in an at-risk group and I don't wanna spread it to him or his girlfriend.

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
www.cnbc.com

Fed to pump in more than $1 trillion in dramatic ramping up of market intervention amid coronavirus meltdown

The Federal Reserve intervened in financial markets for the second day in a row.

Fed to pump in more than $1 trillion in dramatic ramping up of market intervention amid coronavirus meltdown

So we have no money for masks, no money for tests, no money to ramp up our ICU capacity, no money get people treated for free, but have a trillion dollars to give to banks to run up the stocks.
America has lost its fucking mind, and long term, it's not even gonna help the stock market, but hey, some rich fuckers will be able to cash in and make slightly more money.

Feds are supposed to be independent from the general politics, they are just doing their jobs, it's not like they can fund ICU capacity, test and the other stuff.

That is someone else job.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
I'm guessing this going to lead to a very traceable outbreak cluster in Colorado.

You have entire countries in quarantine and dumbasses in the US (from the common man all the way up to the President) refuse to take this seriously.

The coming months are going to be much more painful than they should've been.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Feds are supposed to be independent from the general politics, they are just doing their jobs, it's not like they can fund ICU capacity, test and the other stuff.

That is someone else job.
People act like the fed was created by Jesus and us mortals should dare not meddle with god's plan. This is a system we set up by us and it speaks to our priorities as a nation, and it also hint as the resources at our disposal that we are refusing to use.
We can't get tests or masks or hand sanitizers, but we pumped over a trillion dollars to get a 30 minutes bump in the stock market so that people could sell at a slightly higher price.

It's crazy to me how little americans are expecting from their institutions.

blue_whale

Nov 1, 2017
A lot of people here aren't taking it seriously. I have family in China that are still under quarantine. Like, sometimes I think Americans are quite myopic

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017
You have entire countries in quarantine and dumbasses in the US (from the common man all the way up to the President) refuse to take this seriously.

The coming months are going to be much more painful than they should've been.

Really the first thing I could criticize Polis on is not pulling the damn trigger on a large event ban.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
People act like the fed was created by Jesus and us mortals should dare not meddle with god's plan. This is a system we set up by us and it speaks to our priorities as a nation, and it also hint as the resources at our disposal that we are refusing to use.
We can't get tests or masks or hand sanitizers, but we pumped over a trillion dollars to get a 30 minutes bump in the stock market so that people could sell at a slightly higher price.

It's crazy to me how little americans are expecting.

tbf that is a supply issue. So much demand is needed, of course there will be empty shelves, while the government did bumble the tests, masks, hand sanitizers should not be surprising.

Guddha

Sep 5, 2019

Given the attitudes shown by so many people combined with this, we are in store for a fucking ugly summer.

Aarglefarg

Oct 27, 2017
The Australian government is advising against all non-essential gatherings in Australia of more than 500 people starting from Monday, excluding schools, universities, public transport or airports.

The Australian Government is also advising Australians against all non-essential international travel.

www.abc.net.au

Gatherings of more than 500 people to be cancelled amid coronavirus fears

The Prime Minister and state and territory leaders want all non-essential gatherings of more than 500 people to be suspended from Monday amid fears about the spread of coronavirus.

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
I'm supposed to drive two hours to Nashville for a small trip this weekend and I'm already feeling guilty about it, but I can't back out of the AirBNB without losing my deposit. I don't even plan on doing a lot, just hitting up a few restaurants and relaxing away from home. I'll probably follow through but this is making me second-guess everything. I already have plenty of hand sanitizer and I planned on spending most of next week isolated for spring break anyway.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
I'm supposed to drive two hours to Nashville for a small trip this weekend and I'm already feeling guilty about it, but I can't back out of the AirBNB. I don't even plan on doing a lot, just hitting up a few restaurants and relaxing away from home. I'll probably follow through but this is making me second-guess everything. I already have plenty of hand sanitizer and I planned on spending most of next week isolated for spring break anyway.

Eh, those small businesses could definitely use your money.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Please read this panel summary from the University of California San Francisco with direct quotes on public heath experts for what to expect in the United States: https://www.linkedin.com/content-gu...-expert-panel-march-10-dr-jordan-shlain-m-d-/

I will snippet what I find glaring:

• 40-70% of the US population will be infected over the next 12-18 months. After that level you can start to get herd immunity. Unlike flu this is entirely novel to humans, so there is no latent immunity in the global population.
  • [We used their numbers to work out a guesstimate of deaths— indicating about 1.5 million Americans may die. The panelists did not disagree with our estimate. This compares to seasonal flu's average of 50K Americans per year. Assume 50% of US population, that's 160M people infected. With 1% mortality rate that's 1.6M Americans die over the next 12-18 months.]
  • The fatality rate is in the range of 10X flu.
  • This assumes no drug is found effective and made available.

• Appears one can be infectious before being symptomatic. We don't know how infectious before symptomatic, but know that highest level of virus prevalence coincides with symptoms. We currently think folks are infectious 2 days before through 14 days after onset of symptoms (T-2 to T+14 onset).
  • How long does the virus last?
  • On surfaces, best guess is 4-20 hours depending on surface type (maybe a few days) but still no consensus on this
  • The virus is very susceptible to common anti-bacterial cleaning agents: bleach, hydrogen peroxide, alcohol-based.

• There is no accepted treatment for COVID-19. The hospital will give supportive care (eg IV fluids, oxygen) to help you stay alive while your body fights the disease. ie to prevent sepsis.
  • If someone gets sick who is high risk (eg is both old and has lung/cardio-vascular problems), you can try to get them enrolled for "compassionate use" of Remdesivir, a drug that is in clinical trial at San Francisco General and UCSF, and in China. Need to find a doc there in order to ask to enroll. Remdesivir is an anti-viral from Gilead that showed effectiveness against MERS in primates and is being tried against COVID-19. If the trials succeed it might be available for next winter as production scales up far faster for drugs than for vaccines. [More I found online.]

Public Health systems are prepared to deal with short-term outbreaks that last for weeks, like an outbreak of meningitis. They do not have the capacity to sustain for outbreaks that last for months. Other solutions will have to be found.

Don't know whether COVID-19 is seasonal but if is and subsides over the summer, it is likely to roar back in fall as the 1918 flu did

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Mods (i guess thats who to suggest to), once this ramps up in the U.S, this thread is gonna hit overtime, and likely strangle news from elsewhere, you may want to make country specific threads.

www.click2houston.com

Thousands board cruise ships in Galveston Thursday, despite coronavirus warnings

Despite all the warnings and worry about the coronavirus, at the Port of Galveston on Thursday, it looked like business as usual.

one person on that cruise is all it needs......

The hockey forum that I go to has made a sub forum for corona virus

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
tbf that is a supply issue. So much demand is needed, of course there will be empty shelves, while the government did bumble the tests, masks, hand sanitizers should not be surprising.
Taiwan stood up 60 lines of productions for masks and pretty much nationalized their facemask industry.
China converted every factory that can possibly make masks into one and prioritize getting them online and getting them to full capacity.
Most countries in Asia did some sort of mask rationing.

America has a religious belief that the free market and profit seeking is the best way to allocate resources, and when that didn't work we sent people on TV and say "masks don't actually work, don't worry about".

We are expecting so little from our government.

May 26, 2018
And in the comments section, there was a reference to a Billie Eilish concert tonight being jam packed, and the youths just marching in saying they were "young and healthy"

someone STOP THIS FUCKING INSANITY