• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018
Companies and local governments (Jalisco specifically) are starting to take measures by themselves. The Federal Government reaction is extremely embarrassing.

Have you heard of any universities or institutions taking action in your State as well? Today I got an e-mail from UNAM informing everyone they're going to take actions starting next week. I hope more institutions follow up on their own, because AMLO is definitely not going to do anything. He thinks it's all a conspiracy against him.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Every notable person who is confirmed to have it makes me even more worried about the current fuck up happening in the US. We have clear community spread in GA and they were bragging about having 500 tests next week and no state of emergency.

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018
At least someone here is taking the problem seriously.
The "Tecnologico de Monterrey" University (with campus in most states and it's quite influential), are switching to online classes.

https://tec.mx/es/comunicado-covid

Awesome news! It seems UNAM is already considering that as well (according to their e-mail). I read an article today where it seems they're expecting things to explode in Mexico between March 20th~30th. We have one week to prepare.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
This is where I'm at right now. Just a rumour lol. :(

I'd still say don't get yourself too worked up right now. After the player on the Jazz tested positive for it they tested the whole team and only one additional player came back positive. And they're in an environment where they're constantly touching each other and an object as well as talking very closely to one another.

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand why people are getting hung up on CDC testing numbers. Most testing would be/is done by hospitals and clinics. The US had 424 new cases today, so obviously people are getting tested.
This isn't true at all. They are saving the tests for people at risk or have been to another country. None of the hospitals in my area will test you regardless of your symptoms unless you have been out of the country or in direct contact with another confirmed case.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
You're both far from a risk group, and you seem to be able to work from home in large parts. There is nothing currently to suggest that pregnant women are at extra risk for this compared to any other sort of tougher viral infection like the flu, so as long as you're both taking precautions you will be fine.

Also, infants seem very resistant to COVID-19 even from day 1.
Thanks, I feel a little bit better, although as more news comes out that's difficult to feel good about.

I talked to my wife more about it today after she got home, and the only thing is her company has a weird policy where if everyone can't work from home, NO ONE works from home unless it's because they have kids home from school or something. That concerns me, but I'm hoping things will be okay with that.

One of her friends that's a biology teacher just reported that the Houston area seems to be shutting down, and possibly San Antonio, and we might need to stock up. We live in Austin. We just ordered an Instacart to stock up on some things.

It is very hard not to freak out to be honest and I am still kind of scared.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
this is absolutely insane! this virus came out of nowhere
we've known about it and had the ability to prepare for it since mid January.
We just have at first been reactionary in the west, followed by people like trump wanting to keep the numbers down so not testing and ignoring it and going on TV saying it's just a hoax allowing it to spread even more.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Good news, the person at the office my sister works results came out negative. They just had an insane case of the flu.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've been having a nagging cough for the past couple days. I don't have a fever (my temp is actually pretty low at 97.5). Wondering if it's worth paying the clinic a visit tomorrow...

FYI, I'm in an area with no confirmed cases so far and I have't traveled anywhere in the past month.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Apologies if this has been addressed, but I was just wondering if there was a clear cut reason as to the delay in testing in the US? Why is there such a shortage of test kits? I was reading about a South Korean company that is able to make basically 1 million tests a week, and wants to help the US but it isn't approved by the FDA. What's the hold up?

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Apologies if this has been addressed, but I was just wondering if there was a clear cut reason as to the delay in testing in the US? Why is there such a shortage of test kits? I was reading about a South Korean company that is able to make basically 1 million tests a week, and wants to help the US but it isn't approved by the FDA. What's the hold up?
It's mostly as simple as Trump wants to limit how fast the numbers go up so he won't look as bad.
The US has been able to get kits from multiple places but won't take them because the Trump admin for a long time didn't want to admit there was a problem.

GameChanger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My medical school has cancelled live lectures and clinical simulation activities till April 1st. Shit is getting real. Stay safe people.

ostrichKing

Oct 25, 2017
I've been having a nagging cough for the past couple days. I don't have a fever (my temp is actually pretty low at 97.5). Wondering if it's worth paying the clinic a visit tomorrow...

FYI, I'm in an area with no confirmed cases so far and I have't traveled anywhere in the past month.
If it makes you feel any better, my whole family has had similar symptoms...nagging dry cough and sore throat for a week and a half...nothing too bad other than that. Brought daughter in and wasn't strep (and didn't check any Corona boxes-particularly the lack of a fever)...just some virus going around commonly in my area (twin cities). That being said, it's never a terrible idea to get yourself checked out if you aren't feeling well (or give them a call and see what they say).

Oct 25, 2017
im not really worried at all, que sera sera, and im sure whatever i get from this thing which i expect i will at some point, wont make me feel worse than some of my previous illnesses that ive dealt with

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
The Trump administration has been deliberately attempting to slow the process to keep the number of reported cases low. There are some other factors, but most of it can be traced to that in some way.

Mars89

Banned
Nov 18, 2018

I believe going to a clinic with possible symptoms is advised against. The recommended course of action is to call a doctor, not go to a doctor

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
I'd still say don't get yourself too worked up right now. After the player on the Jazz tested positive for it they tested the whole team and only one additional player came back positive. And they're in an environment where they're constantly touching each other and an object as well as talking very closely to one another.

Yeah, I'm trying to be calm about it, because I don't even know if anything about it is true. I was told by someone, who was told by someone else. So...nothing to it yet. I'll make sure I don't have a fever tomorrow morning, but I'm going to finish out the week and see what happens tomorrow.

It's possible none of it is even real! So nothing to do about it yet.

Edit: also, glad to hear all the players on the NBA team were negative!

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
It's mostly as simple as Trump wants to limit how fast the numbers go up so he won't look as bad.
The US has been able to get kits from multiple places but won't take them because the Trump admin for a long time didn't want to admit there was a problem.
The Trump administration has been deliberately attempting to slow the process to keep the number of reported cases low. There are some other factors, but most of it can be traced to that in some way.
I've been reading that but didn't know if I should believe it. That is so beyond stupid/evil that I can't believe it. Not even from Trump.

everyer

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Since the global explosion I haven't been following China as closely.

What is the general consensus on the numbers and information coming from China lately; are we doubting the validity or have they truly largely contained it?

As a Chinese people living in both Jiangsu Province and Shanghai. I have told many times. The effort everyone takes here is obviously. There won't be a second wave outbreak in China.
You can't imagine a country with 100% face masks covering rate and daily body temperature check rate to have huge infection numbers. It's impossible.

TorianElecdra

Feb 25, 2020
Have you heard of any universities or institutions taking action in your State as well? Today I got an e-mail from UNAM informing everyone they're going to take actions starting next week. I hope more institutions follow up on their own, because AMLO is definitely not going to do anything. He thinks it's all a conspiracy against him.

Nothing yet, just private companies as of now. The TEC cancelled classes all over their campus at least.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
My work told us to expect to be off for the rest of the month. Went to the store to stock up.

Lots of frozen foods, which I was surprised hadn't been picked clean.

The meat section was empty, which really sucked as I was going to make some spaghetti sauce and freeze some for the next few weeks. They were also entirely out of pasta. Going to try a few other stores tomorrow, while some people are still at work.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
my anxiety rapidly rising....finding it very difficult not to worry.
My anxiety has been bad the last few days but it's actually subsiding somewhat. The amount of cancellations and closures and bans passed today around the US is much more than I thought would happen this soon. This is going to be a bumpy ride either way, but it feels like people are finally waking up to the problem and that's going to make a difference.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Hope you feel better soon. For now it's best to just self-monitor your symptoms and limit contact with other people, and if you feel worse within the next few weeks, particularly in regard to fever and cough, consider contacting your clinic or hospital.

Had a nasty fever last night. 103 isn't too bad but I just felt like shit. Cough was a bitch but vanished by morning.

Mar 8, 2020
Washington State
Just got back from Costco and Wal-Mart in Spokane WA and there is ZERO toilet paper, Clorox wipes, cleaning supplies, etc.. The check mentioned that they did over a million in sales today which beats the day 1 opening they had when the new facility opened last year. Crikey. So, I recommend people do pick up supplies if possible. Please do not horde but it might be wise to have an extra box of tissue or pasta just in case. Eastern WA has no confirmed cases yet and stores are selling out. I suspect it's going to get nuts when we do get a confirmed case.

everyer

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm wondering this too.

Their numbers give me some hope but then again, it's the Chinese government so who the fuck knows.
When you doubt you should check what we are doing now. I still wear face masks all the time if I need to go out. The company and public transportations still check your health condition here everyday. I skip all unnecessary contact or activities.
The new import cases from US and Italy to Shanghai yesterday have been announced their visited blocks and the places have been disinfected. Their close contacts have been asked for 14 days quarantine.

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
Me too. All day I've had a tightness in my upper chest that I usually get with extreme anxiety but it's kind of hard to distinguish from some kind of respiratory problem or something.
Same here. I woke up with an itch in my throat and a slight cough and immediately had a panic attack and couldn't breathe. I hate chronic anxiety.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
I've been reading that but didn't know if I should believe it. That is so beyond stupid/evil that I can't believe it. Not even from Trump.

Here's how Trump's pathetic brain works. Will this a either

A) Make me gain or lose money

B) Make me look good or bad

If a decision will cost him money, he's opposed to it. If it will cost him money and make him look bad, he's super opposed to it. If it makes him money, he supports it if it makes him money and makes him look good, he definitely supports it.

The man only cares about his image and his money. Once you figure that out about him, it's not hard to see why he's the brain dead dipshit he is and why he makes the decisions he does.

In a nutshell, he's a narcissist selfish prick who doesn't care about anyone but himself, and will use whatever means necessary (illegal or not) to his benefit at the cost of others.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If it makes you feel any better, my whole family has had similar symptoms...nagging dry cough and sore throat for a week and a half...nothing too bad other than that. Brought daughter in and wasn't strep (and didn't check any Corona boxes-particularly the lack of a fever)...just some virus going around commonly in my area (twin cities). That being said, it's never a terrible idea to get yourself checked out if you aren't feeling well (or give them a call and see what they say).
Ah, glad to hear it wasn't anything bad in your family's case. Yeah, think I'm gonna work from home tomorrow and reevaluate how I'm feeling in the morning.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
HEB, Target, Costco

Everything is out everywhere

Great thing about living in Trumpland is I've been able to get whatever I want mostly.

Only thing I've seen completely sold out is hand sanitizer.

Probably going to go to the store one more time when I get off at noon tomorrow, just to check off a few things. I have a feeling this weekend will be a rush of people buying things.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I've seen quotes where he says that he doesn't want the numbers to go up and such, but is there a quote that would show he's actually holding the testing back?
so far I don't think he has slipped up and said it publicly but people have said he has said as much behind closed doors multiple times.
He has also ordered the CDC to not ship out tests they have to places that need them in general.

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
I'm not down playing the severity of this situation.
But why can't people still follow basic hygiene practices, common sense and simple procedures?

My wife is a pharmacist and is getting trampled by people. Tonight they had someone coughing all over the place, then wiping their face and putting items on the counter. Then proceeded to tell them they had a fever and were waiting for results of their COVID test.

You dumb mf. Anti vaxer and fools like this is why things rapidly spread and ravage the community and world.

It does no good for all of us to wash our hands and practice basic cleanliness when you have a jack ass spreading their droplets everywhere when they suspect having the flu or coronavirus.

😔

/rant

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I was at CVS and typical wipes picked clean, most tp... Almost everyone I saw had paper towels in their hands. I grabbed some kleenix since I was running low and was there for a perscription anyways.

Food aisle? Well-stocked with canned and frozen foods!

OP
OP
wandering

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
Will getting lots of exercise, especially running, help my body prepare to deal with this virus?

Exercise in general is beneficial to the immune system, but it's unlikely to be the key factor in case you contract the disease. It shouldn't hurt though, as long as you're avoiding crowded places like the gym, and I'd say that it's good to try and stay physically active; if nothing else it helps to ease the mind.