• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Butch

Oct 27, 2017
I for once I'm surprised our Government here in Argentina is taking good measures against this. There's a list of stuff but the more important is that for 30 days every flight coming from Europe (Any country), China, South Korea, Japan, Iran and USA has been officially suspended.

Also Lollapalooza Argentina (Among other international events) has been canceled, finally.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hmm, I have a 90+ year old grandmother should I refrain from visiting her until this blows over even though there still aren't any confirmed cases where I am? I wasn't planning on it but seeing this thread has me questioning that.

(edit) just checked, there's 2 cases in my area. I should probably avoid her just to be safe then?

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
I don't understand why people are getting hung up on CDC testing numbers. Most testing would be/is done by hospitals. The US had 424 new cases today, so obviously people are getting tested.

If we had a cohesive government response people wouldn't be so confused.....

I thought that the CDC needed to verify all tests at their labs before it was confirmed.

chadskin

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand why people are getting hung up on CDC testing numbers. Most testing would be/is done by hospitals. The US had 424 new cases today, so obviously people are getting tested.
With the resources of the federal government the CDC could have an important complimentary role in testing people, e.g. like the drive-through testing places in South Korea or Germany.

everyer

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
If I have to pick, I will beleive their number over the US, Canada and much of Europe.

Believe it or not, the number is true.
And our local site has started to list the import cases.

全球新冠病毒最新实时疫情地图_丁香园

丁香园、丁香医生整合各权威渠道发布的官方数据,通过疫情地图直观展示,持续更新最新的新型冠状病毒肺炎的实时疫情动态。

We got 2 import cases in Shanghai yesterday, One from US, one from Italy.
The patients were sent to hospital. The close contacts have been asked for 14 days quarantine and the visited places have been disinfected.

Jarrod38

Oct 25, 2017
Of course someone is trying to spread panic that someone in my county has it but if they heard it from their sisters next door neighbor who has a son who works with a guy who heard it. Shit like that doesn't help.

Addi

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in the same spot. Been talking for almost a week now with someone and it's going to be weird to schedule a date for weeks to come. Hopefully the talk doesn't die down because she seems really good and I'm interested.

Good luck! It'll be interesting how social life will evolve during/after this. I hope it'll make the world kinder as we are all going through this together (probably won't happen though).

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Been feeling like shit all week. Pretty sure it's just the flu. Just sucks I can't get tested since lack of tests in the US. Got fam in the hospital w/ the flu as well so that's prolly how I got it.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Has anyone done a reasonable estimate of how many are infected right now in the US? I assume you can backtrack from number of deaths per day, an estimate of CFR to suggest how many were infected 14 days ago, I would assume that's on the lower side here compared to Italy for various reasons (population demo and how stressed their healthcare system is), and then apply the typical growth curves seen in other countries to get the current total.

Pedrito

Nov 4, 2017
Celebrities, athletes and politicians testing positive all over the map is probably a good sign that it's extremely widespread.

tycoonheart

Oct 25, 2017
Been feeling like shit all week. Pretty sure it's just the flu. Just sucks I can't get tested since lack of tests in the US. Got fam in the hospital w/ the flu as well so that's prolly how I got it.

Can you try to see if they will test you? The hospital closest by me, the one the county designated as the main hospital to deal with coronavirus, I'm told has test kits. Call yours and see what's available? If not, at the very least, visit your primary care Dr.

everyer

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

微博

随时随地发现新鲜事!微博带你欣赏世界上每一个精彩瞬间,了解每一个幕后故事。分享你想表达的,让全世界都能听到你的心声!
Dr Zhongshan Nanshan set up regular meeting with US ICU experts to share experience on treating severe cases. Which is not a problem in early stage but need to be very careful later.
He said the mortality rate in US is 3%, which means there are more cases not testing yet. US need to take more effort on finding and taking quarantine of those close contacts.

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand why people are getting hung up on CDC testing numbers. Most testing would be/is done by hospitals and clinics. The US had 424 new cases today, so obviously people are getting tested.

because it was the only way to get tested until recently. Hospital and clinics haven't ramped up to test yet afaik.

Culex

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
both my parents just turned 70. I called my dad and told him nothing personal, but i'm staying away from him and mom. He went on a 5 minute diatribe about how this is a hoax, and you can only be infected by 1 virus at a time because SCIENCE!

I'm still staying away from them because I love them.

OP
OP
wandering

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017

Hope you feel better soon. For now it's best to just self-monitor your symptoms and limit contact with other people, and if you feel worse within the next few weeks, particularly in regard to fever and cough, consider contacting your clinic or hospital.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
I would say a few weeks to a month probably. I read today that manufacturers are ramping up production but it will take time for new supplies to work its way into supply chains.
I heard this morning Staples in the U.S. in my area said from opening til 9:30 am only. Don't know what happened after that time.

Dang, that sucks. I wish websites were better at showing when items are in stock or not. So much false hope :(

Guess I'll wear latex gloves when I get on the subway.

everyer

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Has anyone done a reasonable estimate of how many are infected right now in the US? I assume you can backtrack from number of deaths per day, an estimate of CFR to suggest how many were infected 14 days ago, I would assume that's on the lower side here compared to Italy for various reasons (population demo and how stressed their healthcare system is), and then apply the typical growth curves seen in other countries to get the current total.

You can use the mortality rate as a reference. Because current US hospitals can support current patient numbers. The mortality rate should be very much like other provinces outside Hubei in China, which is 0.88%.
But for now the mortality rate is nearly 3% in US.
So looks like 3 times those cases haven't been tested.

Obsonet

Nov 26, 2019
both my parents just turned 70. I called my dad and told him nothing personal, but i'm staying away from him and mom. He went on a 5 minute diatribe about how this is a hoax, and you can only be infected by 1 virus at a time because SCIENCE!

I'm still staying away from them because I love them.

Having family not taking it seriously at all is frustrating.
Doing the right thing for sure

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017

Fucking disgusting behavior.
You are not hustlers, you are profiting from misery, and probably got a few poor people killed.

Why are stores allowing people to buy large quantities of products like that? Given how important they are right now there should be a hard cap on how many napkins, wipes, hand sanitzer etc. that people can buy. People shouldn't be allowed to roll up with a full cart of a certain product.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
Why are stores allowing people to buy large quantities of products like that? Given how important they are right now there should be a hard cap on how many napkins, wipes, hand sanitzer etc. that people can buy. People shouldn't be allowed to roll up with a full cart of a certain product.

Freedom isn't free ya know
Scalpers robbing people is the price

OP
OP
wandering

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017

My local Costco at least has been disallowing people from buying large quantities of certain items, but some businesses are less scrupulous than others.

Ramirez

Oct 26, 2017
No cases here yet (Southeastern Ky), but schools are closing for 3 weeks on Monday and little league has been suspended until the 6th. I'm happy that we're being proactive at least.

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
Since the global explosion I haven't been following China as closely.

What is the general consensus on the numbers and information coming from China lately; are we doubting the validity or have they truly largely contained it?

someday

Oct 25, 2017
I've been so focused on this thread and what's happening in the world that I didn't realize that my tiny incorporated town outside Tacoma (University Place) has 3 cases of Covid. Unfortunately I can't find a single bit of information about them or how they got it.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Did a bit of shopping for non-perishable supplies today.

Will be going for the perishables tomorrow.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Since the global explosion I haven't been following China as closely.

What is the general consensus on the numbers and information coming from China lately; are we doubting the validity or have they truly largely contained it?
I'm wondering this too.

Their numbers give me some hope but then again, it's the Chinese government so who the fuck knows.