• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SlyCoug88

Jan 10, 2018
Wouldn't it be quite the irony if our screen addictions and global warming are what can save us from the corona virus?

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
2031a664-6462-11ea-8e9f-2d196083a37c_972x_214133.jpg

www.scmp.com

Scientists ask if lines on map hold key to coronavirus spread

Studies suggest that ‘hotspots’ for virus that causes Covid-19 are found between the 30 to 50 degree lines of latitude north.
This pattern-spotting appears to be ignoring several data points that inconveniently don't fit into the pattern. For example, in Europe, most of the Nordic countries have very high per-capita infection rates. Norway, Sweden and Denmark each have many hundreds of cases. Iceland have a number of cases which is low in absolute terms, but in per-capita terms is only very slightly lower than Italy's infection rate.

Each of those countries appears to be doing a good job of treating patients right now since the number of deaths is low across all the countries I mentioned, but the cases are there.

There are also very high per-capita infection rates in Qatar and Bahrain, neither of which are anywhere near the temperate line this graph is depicting.

mangopositive

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Due to the Atlanta outbreak and the first state death at the hospital my son was born in, Cobb county schools are now closed indefinitely. I'm very fortunate that I have the resources that my wife and I can trade working from home (she'll probably stay at home, but I'll have to go in). The concert I was dreading on Saturday night has been cancelled. This is going to be a rough couple of months, but I really see folks I know taking it seriously.

Nov 11, 2017
I am being sent home because my boss, who I sit beside, wasn't feeling well and is being tested. Please be negative :0

What should I be doing now if I have no symptoms?

GodlyTwins

Oct 30, 2017
Little brother in high school just notified me: San Francisco's Unified School District closing all schools from 3/16-4/3.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
Probably has more to do with the fact that there are a lot of people that live between 30-50N.
Yeah uh, that's something like 40% of the planet's population? Any temperature considerations should be thrown out the window, too, given the variety in temperatures that can change 10C a day in a lot of regions this time of year. It also assumes equal testing in all places which we know is nonsense. Correlation does not mean a connection.

Jeff Albertson

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Tomorrow will be interesting at work.

I work for BT and our CEO has confirmed positive, could mean head office being closed down, would have big knock on effects for us

Pepito

Dec 11, 2017
My wife just called to tell me NYC is going to be quarantined, but I have no idea where she heard it or what that would actually entail - and then she hung up...cool.
The rumor started spreading like wildfire right around the same time de Blasio's press conference announced a state of emergency for NYC. I think it took off right after that.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Just realized that while everywhere is sold out of hand sanitizer my gym has all these dispensers and they are really stocked so guess who's coming later tonight with a toiletry bottle and filling that sucker up. Again, my gym has plenty in stock already and it's not like I'm going to run through these things daily

Beardlini

Oct 28, 2017
Just realized that while everywhere is sold out of hand sanitizer my gym has all these dispensers and they are really stocked so guess who's coming later tonight with a toiletry bottle and filling that sucker up. Again, my gym has plenty in stock already and it's not like I'm going to run through these things daily

Bruh

JetBlackPanda

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Echo Base

Dude, come on.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone

With this post I am officially locking up the hand sanitizer I keep in my car

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
I have a question, and hopefully it's not taken to be xenophobic. Has the Wuhan animal market where we think this started been closed down permanently so that something like this doesn't happen again?

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I bet they have toilet paper as well.
I have a question, and hopefully it's not taken to be xenophobic. Has the Wuhan animal market where we think this started been closed down permanently so that something like this doesn't happen again?
My dude, there's a whole bunch of live animal markets all over the world.

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
Gotta think outta the box I see you

GalvoAg

Oct 30, 2017
Dallas
How about not, probably one of the places that needs it the most. Have actually appreciated how clean the staff and people working out at mine have been keeping it.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
Are people still supposed to go to work during one of these lockdowns?
I live in Northern Italy and yes people go to work. We can only leave from home, if:

- you have to go to work.
- to go to buy something to eat.
- for health issues.

These three things. It's surreal.
I work as a train conductor and for now the trains are rolling regularly, although there are very few passengers (good thing).
We had the Biathlon World Championship in our area two weeks ago...

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I have Coronavirus because no flu like symptoms, but I am experiencing the craziest bout of post nasal drip in my life. The back roof of my mouth feels like I downed a pack of Ice Breaker mints

Kilic95

Oct 25, 2017
Chireiden

Dude, did you just admit to a crime?

52club

Oct 27, 2017
My work put out tissue boxes (which they normally don't supply), but if your nose is running, you are sneezing, etc shouldn't you go home?

Vitet

Oct 31, 2017
Valencia, Spain
If you ever wonder the benefits of a public healthcare system, here in Spain it seems all private clinics are deriving ALL coronavirus patients to the public system as soon as they are turn positive.

dedhead54

Oct 28, 2017
Due to the Atlanta outbreak and the first state death at the hospital my son was born in, Cobb county schools are now closed indefinitely. I'm very fortunate that I have the resources that my wife and I can trade working from home (she'll probably stay at home, but I'll have to go in). The concert I was dreading on Saturday night has been cancelled. This is going to be a rough couple of months, but I really see folks I know taking it seriously.

Fellow Atlantan/Georgian. I admit I wasn't really taking it as serious as I should have, but as of the last 24 hrs that has changed drastically.

Watching the last Hawks game of the foreseeable future last night, we the NBA went full on shut down while we watched was crazy. Then I got a call midway through the day from my boss saying we need to start working remotely unless absolutely necessary, so I headed home for the day. Then found out UGA is closing for the next two weeks. Final Four cancelled. Just crazy.

ReactionShot

Oct 25, 2017
As documented by the Ministry of Health, Welfare, and Labor (厚生勞動省) of Japan, from Feb 1 to March 8:
  • 133322 cases have sought medical help regarding possible contact with coronavirus in Japan
  • 4733 (3.6%) cases have been recommended for further inspection
  • 3503 (2.6%) cases have received a PCR test

img_1354t5k5n.jpg

psynergyadept

Oct 26, 2017

LMAO!!!

Geido

Oct 30, 2017
Okay, so this post is totally going to get snowed under, but I have three major issues with the way this entire thing is being reported on. Love to get some feedback from other statisticly enclined people.

1. The death rate. The official numbers are being calculated by the total deaths as a percentage of the total infected. Very logical for an endemic virus like the flu as those are reported on a yearly basis. You have the issue that people contract the flu in the previous year and die in the present, and contract the virus in the current year but die in the next year... But those usually even out. And everyone that didn't die survives, makes sense. But for Corona we're doing a running tally. Year to date (or start to date). So what we're actually doing is counting all the currently ongoing cases as living. Which throws the actual number off by a substantial margin as there is a timed delay from when someone gets sick versus someone getting a result (death versus cured). So the only number we can actually use with any validity (not reliability) is the percentage of people that died versus the sum of people that died and that were cured. that totally skewes the mortality rate to 6% on a global level to 50%!!! in Italy.

2. The numbers of infected per country are being reported as absolutes. 12.000 people in Italy, 80.000 in China. The issue in China seems a lot worse. But when you take population into account, Italy is affected 5 times worse. China has 56 cases per million citizens, Italy has 250. Which also show some situations that didn't seem as bad as a lot worse. Norway has 146 cases per million citizens and as such is the third worst hit country by this virus after Italy and South Korea (China is 11th at the moment).

3. We're not getting all the information we actually need to see how bad the situation is. I have a friend that works in a lab in the Netherlands, they've tested 1700 people. We have 614 confirmed cases. But that's just one lab. What is the actual percentage of confirmed people that don't have it, versus the ones that do? This is basic information that they should have and should provide to the public.

The above makes a lot of assumptions, a lot of them have a very high degree of uncertainty. The main one being that not all people who have the virus are tested. Which is true, but we need to use the data that we do have in a logical way to be able to see at least part of the bigger picture. However flawed that may be.

A friend told me that there wasn't that much to worry about, as the Dutch Mortality rate is 0,82 (614 cases and 5 deaths). But that is complete bullshit when you take into account the lead time of the disease. When you compare it to the total amount considered cures the death rate is 30% Because only two people are considered cured.

Tl;dr look at the actual stats in stead of blindly relying on the media.

CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018
My girlfriend is a server and lives off tips. Can anyone offer insight into what we should do if/when her restaurant gets shut down? In the U.S. for what it's worth.

I believe she would need to look into the states TDI / Unemployment offices. At least in my state of RI, they have made it so if youre company gets shut down, you can start to collect immediately.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
I really hope you're joking

Astronut325

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I don't know what to do...

I have chills, but no fever. Have sore throat and headaches. I've had a long week so I haven't slept much this week. I'm thinking what I'm feeling is likely due to exhaustion. But I want to get checked for COVID19. I called my doctor, my urgent care, the city health department and they all said they don't have the means to test for COVID-19.
And this is in the San Gabriel Valley of Los Angeles (close to Pasadena).
I want to get tested but I can't find a way.

Solaris

Oct 27, 2017
Premier League still not suspended despite Leicester players being in quarantine and Arsenal's manager testing positive

What a fucking joke

Kilic95

Oct 25, 2017
Chireiden
I did omg. Also people act like I didn't check with the people that run the gym first. It's a 24 hour fitness their back room is stocked as fuck and they are a couple tiny hotel shampoo bottles I'm filling with sanitizer. Absolutely miss me with trying to guilt me.

I'm not, it's a meme.
www.resetera.com

Um, is it normal for someone to casually admit to pirating stuff?

I was at a work meeting about 50 minutes ago, and during the lead up into it we were all talking about how our Thanksgiving break went. We talked about traveling and activities, and I brought up how I basically spent the entire break playing DQXI on the Switch. Then, one of my co-workers said...

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
That's not the way to act right now.

Oct 27, 2017
Okay, so this post is totally going to get snowed under, but I have three major issues with the way this entire thing is being reported on. Love to get some feedback from other statisticly enclined people.

1. The death rate. The official numbers are being calculated by the total deaths as a percentage of the total infected. Very logical for an endemic virus like the flu as those are reported on a yearly basis. You have the issue that people contract the flu in the previous year and die in the present, and contract the virus in the current year but die in the next year... But those usually even out. And everyone that didn't die survives, makes sense. But for Corona we're doing a running tally. Year to date (or start to date). So what we're actually doing is counting all the currently ongoing cases as living. Which throws the actual number off by a substantial margin as there is a timed delay from when someone gets sick versus someone getting a result (death versus cured). So the only number we can actually use with any validity (not reliability) is the percentage of people that died versus the sum of people that died and that were cured. that totally skewes the mortality rate to 6% on a global level to 50%!!! in Italy.

2. The numbers of infected per country are being reported as absolutes. 12.000 people in Italy, 80.000 in China. The issue in China seems a lot worse. But when you take population into account, Italy is affected 5 times worse. China has 56 cases per million citizens, Italy has 250. Which also show some situations that didn't seem as bad as a lot worse. Norway has 146 cases per million citizens and as such is the third worst hit country by this virus after Italy and South Korea (China is 11th at the moment).

3. We're not getting all the information we actually need to see how bad the situation is. I have a friend that works in a lab in the Netherlands, they've tested 1700 people. We have 614 confirmed cases. But that's just one lab. What is the actual percentage of confirmed people that don't have it, versus the ones that do? This is basic information that they should have and should provide to the public.

The above makes a lot of assumptions, a lot of them have a very high degree of uncertainty. The main one being that not all people who have the virus are tested. Which is true, but we need to use the data that we do have in a logical way to be able to see at least part of the bigger picture. However flawed that may be.

A friend told me that there wasn't that much to worry about, as the Dutch Mortality rate is 0,82 (614 cases and 5 deaths). But that is complete bullshit when you take into account the lead time of the disease. When you compare it to the total amount considered cures the death rate is 30% Because only two people are considered cured.

Tl;dr look at the actual stats in stead of blindly relying on the media.

50% of people who get it in Italy are not dying, that is sensationalist. Most people who have it (but aren't yet recovered) have mild flu-like symptoms. Yes, some will die, but most will recover.