• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

oddjobs

Oct 27, 2017
Finland here: number of confirmed cases (per day) jumped from 25 yesterday to 46 today, who knows how many more are actually infected. Official overall is 111, so 46 in a day is a pretty big jump.

Working as a consultant, my client today instructed everyone (internal and externals) to work from home until further notice. Went shopping, bought about a weeks worth of food and quite a bit of booze to hold me over. Going to play stuff online tomorrow with friends, everyone drinking by themselves.

Government isn't doing much, committing to sending "info package" about the virus to every citizen via snail mail and banning gatherings of over 500 people. Would imagine it's a matter of days before the shit hits the fan in a major way.

Man what a fucking gloomy week. Don't want to even guess how long this situation will last.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
It's insane that the UK and the US haven't shut down yet.

If possible, I would recommend everyone stay home now for at minimum the next two weeks and only go out if in need of food or supplies and avoid social contact as much as possible. And don't interact with any person above the age of 50, including grandparents etc.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
School districts in the Houston area are starting to close next week.

So far I've seen:
Clear Creek ISD
Cypress Fairbanks ISD (3rd largest in Texas)
Katy ISD
Humble ISD

Houston ISD is on spring break next week, so I guess technically them too.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
Is the actual number of infected in US an enigma? The number I've seen has been around 1000.

The last data I saw, only 11000 people in the USA had been tested for COVID-19 so there is a pretty big hole in the data about how much transmission is going on. With the Ohio news, they're just running their models based on data from other countries and extrapolating from there, since clearly, they haven't been testing enough either.

Essentially, the US has the medical technology to test accurately but was in nowhere near the position required to be prepared to do this in sufficient number.

keku

Apr 23, 2019
I live in Spain and the dread here is palpable. The supermarket was cleaned. Seems tomorrow they are making us work from home.
Clubs are still opening tho.. they reduced capacity to 200 people. They should be closed.

Expecting full quarantine soon. Crazy times

Oct 31, 2017
www.theguardian.com

UK government's coronavirus advice – and why it gave it

The action plan’s recommendations differed significantly from measures imposed in other countries

This article gives a very good insight into the reasons behind the U.K. advice. The main thinking appears to be that this is going to be a marathon and not a sprint and that with the main peak predicted to be 12 weeks away that maintaining extreme lock down procedures for that length of time would be impossible.

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
With so many cancellations yesterday and today... this has truly been a dark week. Basically my whole year has been canceled.
I understand it needs to be done. But it feels unreal that it's happening. Hopefully these measures pay off in reducing the spread of the disease.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
For those looking for some good news apparently the 10 northern towns in Italy where the outbreak in Italy has been thought to have begun have had 0 new cases. Looks like the lock down there is having the desired effect.

Bringing this onto the new page since it's very good news that more people need to see. With the continued rise in infections/deaths in Italy, it's good to at least see some positive news about things perhaps turning the corner there.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
My nephew is displaying symptoms.

I begged my sister to stay away from me on Sunday but she insisted I was being daft and got all up in my personal space.

Now...

With what I shared earlier of my other respiratory issues I'm having and the doctor's response, I'm really scared now.

blackw0lf48

Jan 2, 2019
Could there be people dying from the Coronavirus but we don't know actually died from it?

Like when I see 40 deaths from Coronavirus I'm wondering how much we should trust that number.

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
With so many cancellations yesterday and today... this has truly been a dark week. Basically my whole year has been canceled.
I understand it needs to be done. But it feels unreal that it's happening. Hopefully these measures pay off in reducing the spread of the disease.
I hope our sacrifice works out. I still hear people talk about overreacting and the economy.

Pepito

Dec 11, 2017
just got a message from a friend about this. Not sure if this is true. I feel like it's coming though.

I also notice today there hasn't been an update on the numbers yet in nyc.
There has. All of this information is coming from a press conference that Bill de Blasio is literally holding right now.

www.pix11.com

Coronavirus latest: Mayor de Blasio declares state of emergency in NYC

NEW YORK — Mayor Bill de Blasio declared a state of emergency in New York City on Thursday as the number of coronavirus cases soared to 95 in the city. The state of emergency would allow the city t…

NYC saw a large jump in confirmed cases since Wednesday, he said, noting there were 95 confirmed cases as of Thursday afternoon compared to 42 confirmed less than 24 hours earlier. De Blasio said he expects the number of coronavirus cases in New York City to reach 1,000 by next week.

FunkyPajamas

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For those looking for some good news apparently the 10 northern towns in Italy where the outbreak in Italy has been thought to have begun have had 0 new cases. Looks like the lock down there is having the desired effect.
Thank you. I also try to look at the number of recoveries, that gives me a bit of hope too.

Kikujiro

Oct 27, 2017
But China on its own doesn't even have 100k cases. It'd be insane for a single state to already be that infected.

Remember that China (and everywhere else) numbers are people that tested positive, there are countless of people that have mild symptoms that will never go to the hospital to confirm they have the virus, while still be able to transmit it. An Italian virologist said that to have a realistic pictures of how many people have it you have to take the positive confirmed cases number and multiply it for at least 10 if not more.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Peoeple cancelling like crazy at work today, my boss is thinking of shutting down 2 of his hotels in case the governement wants to requisition them for quarantine, 0 support for the employees they will have to apply for unemployment benefits.

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland looking like it might start cancelling big events from Monday onwards.

Not this weekend of course, because there's no chance of spread at the Rangers Celtic game, but Monday is a different story.

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
Remember that China (and everywhere else) numbers are people that tested positive, there are countless of people that have mild symptoms that will never go to the hospital to confirm they have the virus, while still be able to transmit it. An Italian virologist said that to have a realistic pictures of how many people have it you have to take the positive confirmed cases number and multiply it for at least 10 if not more.
That's not really the case in China. WHO went in and said that they managed to find 99% of the infections. The same is probably true in places with comprehensive testing like South Korea. Most of the rest of the world (including all of Europe) doesn't have that level of testing so they've probably only caught a small portion of the cases.

poutmeter

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Our offices are closed until further notice, and everyone is told to work from home after 238 cases were confirmed in a single day - this is after I was told to self-quarantine because I got sick last week. I'm already getting a little stir-crazy ngl, but it's definitely the right action to take.

Problem is I had groceries ordered in because I didn't want to face crowds while being sick but the order got delayed until the end of next week. I guess I do have to go out there and hunt for food tomorrow morning and hope for the best - all I have is tuna and eggs at the moment.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Belgium government has:
* cancelled all cultural, sport activities. All bars and restaurants closed.
* recommended for all companies to homework where possible.
* stores for essential services like supermarkers and pharmacies are allowed to stay open. All other stores closed in the weekend
* schools stop teaching, but schools need to foresee ways to handle kids who can't stay home.
From now until April 3rd.

Oct 27, 2017
Don't wanna backseat mod but do we really need threads for how every US state is being affected? There is one for California, Maryland, Ohio and Washington on the front page right now.

Everyone is just shocked by the events and their own regions getting hit. To be fair, it is the biggest story going right now.

Also, states can be different in resources and approaches. Some will have a harder time than others getting connected to help with coronavirus. A lot will be exposed over time.

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if this has been posted yet, but it's worth posting again even if it has. A first-hand account of someone who had the virus and recovered.

Airegin

Dec 10, 2017
Belgium government has:
* cancelled all cultural, sport activities. All bars and restaurants closed.
* recommended for all companies to homework where possible.
* stores for essential services like supermarkers and pharmacies are allowed to stay open. All other stores closed in the weekend
* schools stop teaching, but schools need to foresee ways to handle kids who can't stay home.

Earlier today I read that professional soccer matches are still not canceled. Is that still the case?

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I hope our sacrifice works out. I still hear people talk about overreacting and the economy.
Right? I don't know what to believe. Like, simply put, do you want to facilitate the spread of disease or not? No matter the severity, public health should be taken seriously. What's wrong with that? Would they rather complain that we did too little or that we did too much?

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2017
just got a message from a friend about this. Not sure if this is true. I feel like it's coming though.

I also notice today there hasn't been an update on the numbers yet in nyc.

edit* nyc mayor just had a hearing about it. About 100 more cases of coronavirus in nyc.

i got the same info as well from a good source. didn't post because i don't want to alarm anyone, now ive heard it from multiple sources.

Crazyorloco

Dec 12, 2017
There has. All of this information is coming from a press conference that Bill de Blasio is literally holding right now.

www.pix11.com

Coronavirus latest: Mayor de Blasio declares state of emergency in NYC

NEW YORK — Mayor Bill de Blasio declared a state of emergency in New York City on Thursday as the number of coronavirus cases soared to 95 in the city. The state of emergency would allow the city t…

Thanks. Just saw this now too. I hope enough is done.

Deleted member 19844

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
United States
A thought that came to mind: If you know someone who has it, and you're young, healthy, already working from home, and have supplies for a month, how batshit crazy would it be to immediately get it from them and quarantine yourself for a month to simply get it over with?