• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Muu

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I made a mistake of reading the comments on an article about the Ontario school closures. People still heavily in denial and spouting garbage, I don't understand what part of "there's a global pandemic on" is supposed to sound like arrangements would be made to their convenience/comfort.

The number of people that treat school as nothing more than a childcare facility for their spawn is heartbreaking

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My wife spent 8 hours over 2 days on hold with the company we book a trip through from Florida to France and England and they told her "plenty of people are still traveling, there is no reason to cancel!"

Then refused to reschedule because "our company already prepaid the hotels and airlines" and if we want to cancel it's $500 per person.

What kind of grade A bullshittery is this. I've been at work all day but I'm going to take tomorrow off to deal with this, I'm not losing $1000 over this. Anyone have any tips? (And please don't say but travel insurance) our trip was supposed to be tomorrow and go on for 9 days.
That sucks. I have no real advice, other than maybe put pressure on them on Social Media (if they are even there)

pixelation

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I made a mistake of reading the comments on an article about the Ontario school closures. People still heavily in denial and spouting garbage, I don't understand what part of "there's a global pandemic on" is supposed to sound like arrangements would be made to their convenience/comfort.
Parents just don't like dealing with their kids all day long, if schools close down they get upset because now they have to take care of them (or find someone who will) they don't care about the reason why (I am a PE teacher so I know first hand lol).

kalindana

Oct 28, 2018

JUST IN: Disneyland in CA closing as of Friday because of coronavirus. Only 4th time in history that operations have been fully suspended: 9/11, Northridge quake, nat'l day of mourning after JFK assassination

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Rumor has it (and i heard these rumors from multiple independent sources) that the Austrian government will announce a full "Italy Style" lockdown tomorrow, starting Monday.

Everything other than grocery stores and pharmacies will be closed for the time being.

Absolutely surreal.
I have heard the same from someone I trust, but no guarantees of course

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
All schools. Nursery, elementary school, high school, university...
In the whole country. That's massive, I think that most of us really weren't expecting that, at least not starting this Monday already. Hope everything is going to be ok.

My wife is a teacher in second grade so she'll be able to take care of the kids as long as it goes on, but some parents will have difficulties...
(although 3 kids confined for weeks, tough times ahead lol)

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
a good friend just mentioned i might be ok if the rumors are true.

i ask what rumors...

he says 'that black people can't get it or are less likely.'

i point out to him that its in africa... and that there has been no data about ethnicity from victims.

waiting for sources.

this is amazing.

B_Spooky13

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
The Wal-Mart I work at was a mad house today. Anything for cleaning is gone. Water gone. Toilet paper (even the RV toilet paper) gone. Paper towels gone. Tooth paste, pasta, soup, bread.

And now there's barely anyone in the store.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
the college across the street is finally transitioning over to online classes

any little thing that eases my anxiety just a little is welcome

someday

Oct 25, 2017
Just found out my best friend's son, who is a marine in California, is being tested for covid. His roomate is sick so they're both being tested.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Met with management again. They aren't budging on letting us work from home. I'm so fucking mad.

Our CEO just bragged for an hour that resources to work remotely would be made available. Fucking lying piece of shit.

Airegin

Dec 10, 2017
I heard that the supermarkets in Belgium were madness today. Yesterday everything was still normal. I'm glad I stocked up two weeks ago before everyone else did.

Oct 30, 2017
Im quite shocked, in a good way, at the measures we (Ireland) are taking handling this thus far.

"Only" 3 community transmissions so far.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Met with management again. They aren't budging on letting us work from home. I'm so fucking mad.

Our CEO just bragged for an hour that resources to work remotely would be made available. Fucking lying piece of shit.

Heh, at least your management is talking about it

Here everyone is acting like it's a normal day.

Ironic that the higher management all took a vacation at the same time....

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
They are closing the whole city of Igualada in Catalonia (Spain) starting tonight. Seems like contagion there is huge.

onhold4u

Oct 29, 2017
Iowa
Any other Iowans here?

I'm just outside of Des Moines and everything feels like business as usual around here. Stores are well stocked, no craziness, some big events (like the DSM St. Patrick's parade) are still planned.
I know there were some cases near Iowa City (from an Egyptian cruise), but beyond that things seem quiet up here. For now.
I live in Sioux City, the Walmart I work at has been getting slammed this week, no soap, no sanitizer, no toilet paper. Paper towels and bottled water are getting that way too.

they've cancelled sporting events here and the st Patrick's day parade and we don't have a confirmed case yet, but I'm sure it's here.

noomi

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I'm worried about my sister in law who will be delivering her first born in April/May.

Has there been any information about how pregnancies might be affected due to the virus?

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
While I'm sure the infected across the US is likely tens of thousands at this point, I would like to know where in the world they got 100,000

Oct 26, 2017
The number of people that treat school as nothing more than a childcare facility for their spawn is heartbreaking
Parents just don't like dealing with their kids all day long, if schools close down they get upset because now they have to take care of them (or find someone who will) they don't care about the reason why (I am a PE teacher so I know first hand lol).

I definitely feel for the stress it'll put on families that rely on shift work for income, just some of the comments about being so personally inconvenienced made me wonder how much worse things have to get to realize the situation we're in...

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Fucking hell why did we have to elect Boris fucking Johnson, this "delay stage" seems to involve doing less than the one before. It makes no sense other than protect the economy at all costs.