• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
God, this is getting closer and closer to me. This shit is terrfiying.

Good thing that guy is travel related, though. Hopefully he didn't spread it anywhere.

Yeah with our aged population this shit is not good here.

I can't imagine what would happen if we had an outbreak in the villages or one of those many trailer park retirement communities around. I'm currently in the process of moving my grandma into hospice so this is just not a good time for me to be a carrier.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've never seen so many old people outside like today (had to help someone buy supplies).

I'm talking a ratio of about 6 70+ aged people to 1 under it.

Crazy, carts and carts full of stuff.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
In Ontario, people coming from Italy now have to self-isolate for 14 days, like people from Hubei and Iran.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Our Governor will be speaking Washington Schools at 2pm today, he will be joined by the State Superindendent.

Then my wife texts me that they are having an emergency staff meeting after school.

I think there will be a large amount of school districts that are going to cancel today in Washington.

Thebox

Dec 26, 2019
is there a reason directly linked to trump as to why the u.s. is not testing very many patients as opposed to other countries?

I've been told by my hospital I work for is that we don't have enough kits available so we have to test based on strict criteria not just anyone that has a cough and fever.

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
So the UK response is: we're not doing anything because people will grow bored and ignore after a month, and that's when we're expecting it to peak. I sort of understand the thinking, if you act too early people will end their isolation too early and infections will ramp up again. But at the same time they're admitting they're waiting for it to peak to announce isolation measures - this will mean hundreds dead, even Boris said it means losing loved ones before their time - I don't want to hear that - it's an unacceptable and heartless thing to say. Why can't we focus on teaching compassion and understanding the importance of isolation to prevent that isolation fatigue?
It's mindboggling how awful the UK response is. It's almost like they're trying to take the idiot ball away from Trump. In any case, I think it's clear that Johnson is prioritizing minimizing the damage to the economy rather the concern for public health and well being. Reality is probably going to strike sooner rather than later, and this inaction is only going to make the UK the next Italy. I wouldn't be surprised if this happens within the next two weeks either.

Oh for fuck's sake.

We are in the middle of a fucking pandemic, and this fucking piece of shit asshole cannot go one day without attacking Dems for no god damn reason. People are fucking dying! Shut the fuck up about your pointless rally sizes, and lead the fucking nation for once.

God I'm fucking sick of him.
It's probably not wise to expect any leadership from Trump. (Or maybe even from Republicans in general)

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
She's finished and said absolutely nothing of value.

Söder is on now.
www.welt.de

Treffen mit Länderchefs: Merkel – „Wo immer es möglich ist, soll auf Sozialkontakte verzichtet werden“ - Video - WELT

Bundeskanzlerin Merkel hat mit den Ministerpräsidenten der Länder das Vorgehen im Kampf gegen das Coronavirus abgestimmt. Welche Schritte beschlossen wurden, erfahren Sie hier.
All right thanks. She's been invisible for months. No leadership at all. I don't dislike her but man, she seems burnt out.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
So, my close friend has been contacting the local Health Departments (her county and that of the closest county) regarding she is showing the exact symptoms and is at a high risk of succumbing to it because of her health history (I don't want to go into specifics), but they acted like they didn't know what to do and said they would call her back after suggesting she be tested, but aren't picking up their phones or calling her back. What kind of fucked-up shit is this? I'm assuming she just has to wear her N95 mask that she has and just go there in-person and let them know?

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Rumor has it (and i heard these rumors from multiple independent sources) that the Austrian government will announce a full "Italy Style" lockdown tomorrow, starting Monday.

Everything other than grocery stores and pharmacies will be closed for the time being.

Absolutely surreal.

Last edited:

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
I really hope that all the students and high schoolers will understand that the schools aren't closed for them to play in the streets and go to the movies.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Latest update from my area in terms of school:
CT Governor waived the 180 day requirement so that superintendents can make decisions
Conference call between the commissioner of education and all the superintendents happening nowish
Heard from a teacher in a neighboring district that they're having a staff-only day tomorrow and preparing for a 4-6 week closure

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
Welp, no university starting Monday. (France). All schools closed in the whole country starting Monday.
Thank god for Animal Crossing releasing next week, good way to stay at home.

My girlfriend is a nurse, she will probably get called in a few days. She's in a formation right now, so it's a hard situation. Probably will have to pause her formation.

Buddy1103

Jan 8, 2019
I've been told by my hospital I work for is that we don't have enough kits available so we have to test based on strict criteria not just anyone that has a cough and fever.
oh ok but i still wonder why we don't have kits available while south korea is testing thousands per day, not only that but the president has said "Frankly, the testing has been going very smooth. If you go to the right agency, if you go to the right area you get the test." thats not true imo.

suedester

Oct 25, 2017
It's mindboggling how awful the UK response is. It's almost like they're trying to take the idiot ball away from Trump. In any case, I think it's clear that Johnson is prioritizing minimizing the damage to the economy rather the concern for public health and well being. Reality is probably going to strike sooner rather than later, and this inaction is only going to make the UK the next Italy. I wouldn't be surprised if this happens within the next two weeks either.

It's probably not wise to expect any leadership from Trump. (Or maybe even from Republicans in general)
The UK approach is totally scientifically and epidemiology led. My brother is an epidemiologist and fucking hates the Tories but is in complete agreement with the way it's being handled.

Oct 27, 2017
Latest update from my area in terms of school:
CT Governor waived the 180 day requirement so that superintendents can make decisions
Conference call between the commissioner of education and all the superintendents happening nowish
Heard from a teacher in a neighboring district that they're having a staff-only day tomorrow and preparing for a 4-6 week closure

Thanks! Here's the update from Stamford - it now has its first case, the person is isolated in the hospital.

Tomorrow kids can get the medications they need from the schools, and meals will be available midday each day.

My kid was sent home with a folder of books/papers and a lesson plan for the next two weeks. Lessons will be available online each day, and they have work to submit (not that much, though). Kids who do not have a chromebook at home, were given one to use and access to the internet.

In the town generally, hotlines have been set up for meal assistance since the senior centers had to close.

TheDutchSlayer

Did you find it? Cuez I didn't!
Oct 26, 2017
The Hauge, The Netherlands
Welp, no university starting Monday. (France). All schools closed in the whole country starting Monday.
Thank god for Animal Crossing releasing next week, good way to stay at home.

My girlfriend is a nurse, she will probably get called in a few days. She's in a formation right now, so it's a hard situation. Probably will have to pause her formation.
Like all schools schools or just uni etc. ?

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017
Italy is a good example that shutting down schools isn't enough especially because it's already too little too late. Paris area is 12m+ people with 2m taking public transport everyday and this isn't going to change much. I'm not optimistic that this is the right strategy if we look at other examples

Right. If we're closing schools only and not making other adjustments like avoiding public transportation and unnecessary travel, it won't particularly have a huge impact. Lots of small things need to be done in concert with each other to be effective.

Thebox

Dec 26, 2019
oh ok but i still wonder why we don't have kits available while south korea is testing thousands per day, not only that but the president has said "Frankly, the testing has been going very smooth. If you go to the right agency, if you go to the right area you get the test." thats not true imo.

No, it's not true at least in my community. I had several young patients yesterday that haven't felt well in the last few days and had a cough and fever. We tested them for influenza they were all negative, but aren't allowed to test for covid-19 because they have not traveled to italy, iran, or china or have not been around anybody that has been diagnosed with covid-19 that they known of. So, yeah.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
The UK approach is totally scientifically and epidemiology led. My brother is an epidemiologist and fucking hates the Tories but is in complete agreement with the way it's being handled.

This is a reassuring post to read tbh haha.

If he's shared anything else with you (e.g. expanded on why it's a good approach) then I'd appreciate you posting it here!

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
The walls are closing in for my school. We already had a scare yesterday from someone who had recently gone to Italy. No way we are coming back from spring break

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
So what kind of food are yall stockin up on

None because the foods we buy aren't processed or canned and due to that they last a week or so (meat, milk, fruits, produce) so pretty much fucked unless these items are still in stock lol

Anyways, houston's Third infected person was at the rodeo on mar 8th but apparently according to the authorities they don't believe they spread the virus...like how?

Also incredible how unresponsive Texas is altogether 🤬

Oct 26, 2017
I made a mistake of reading the comments on an article about the Ontario school closures. People still heavily in denial and spouting garbage, I don't understand what part of "there's a global pandemic on" is supposed to sound like arrangements would be made to their convenience/comfort.

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
My wife spent 8 hours over 2 days on hold with the company we book a trip through from Florida to France and England and they told her "plenty of people are still traveling, there is no reason to cancel!"

Then refused to reschedule because "our company already prepaid the hotels and airlines" and if we want to cancel it's $500 per person.

What kind of grade A bullshittery is this. I've been at work all day but I'm going to take tomorrow off to deal with this, I'm not losing $1000 over this. Anyone have any tips? (And please don't say but travel insurance) our trip was supposed to be tomorrow and go on for 9 days.

BlakeofT

Oct 30, 2017
None because the foods we buy aren't processed or canned and due to that they last a week or so (meat, milk, fruits, produce) so pretty much fucked unless these items are still in stock lol

Anyways, houston's Third infected person was at the rodeo on mar 8th but apparently according to the authorities they don't believe they spread the virus...like how?

Also incredible how unresponsive Texas is altogether 🤬
I would consider purchasing some food that can sit on the shelf for a while. I'm all for fresh food, but I'd rather eat beans out of a can than starve to death.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
My wife spent 8 hours over 2 days on hold with the company we book a trip through from Florida to France and England and they told her "plenty of people are still traveling, there is no reason to cancel!"

Then refused to reschedule because "our company already prepaid the hotels and airlines" and if we want to cancel it's $500 per person.

What kind of grade A bullshittery is this. I've been at work all day but I'm going to take tomorrow off to deal with this, I'm not losing $1000 over this. Anyone have any tips? (And please don't say but travel insurance) our trip was supposed to be tomorrow and go on for 9 days.

Im not sure how much recourse you might have short of suing them. If it's one of those chartered type trips they are generally really tough to get out of.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Harris county judge says that companies should let people work from home if possible yet I doubt many companies will do that

Everyday Math

Oct 25, 2017
So just got told at work(Mercury Marine) that an Officer worked + friends of his in plant 3 has the virus.
They came back from Egypt. 1 is at home and 1 is at the hospital. Others are in quarantine. 6 in total.
Plant 3 is shut down plus office staff is in quarantine.